06-18-14 09:54 PM
132 ... 23456
tools
    Are you embarrassed to have a BlackBerry".. what do ya think?
    LOL - that article was a pretty low blow. If I recall right, even blogs like BGR called it a cheap shot.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    04-07-14 06:08 AM
    Fair but the point is, Blackberry used to be #1 with 50% marketshare.
    Arguably BlackBerry used to be #1 with 100% market share. At that time the market was very small, most people (including BlackBerry) didn't even know what a smart phone was. Discussing the changes in market share without a discussion of how the market size has changed is like comparing current prices to historical ones without an indication of the inflation that occurred in the interim.
    04-07-14 06:44 AM
    Don't stick your head in the sand. If sales keep dropping your current BlackBerry will be your last and the platform will disappear.

It is vital that BlackBerry stabilize handset sales and become profitable again.

Posted via CB10
    Surely, BlackBerry is not the only phone out there. While i have used BlackBerries for the last nine years, I have used other phones that i liked as well. The end of BlackBerry is not the end of the world. Some other smart phone will take its place. Certainly, you will have another phone in your hands once the platform disappears. I am not sticking my head in the sand. That's reality.
    04-07-14 07:14 AM
    Like seriously, are you guys surprised that purportedly BlackBerry lost some Canadian market share? It's kinda like being in a marathon race and remaining stationary while the competitors keep moving. It's no secret that BlackBerry hasn't done anything seriously to push its phones because it has been preoccupied with "house cleaning" and restructuring. If BlackBerry continues this downward trend into late 2015, then all alarm bells should set off.
    04-07-14 07:15 AM
    Like seriously, are you guys surprised that purportedly BlackBerry lost some Canadian market share? It's kinda like being in a marathon race and remaining stationary while the competitors keep moving. It's no secret that BlackBerry hasn't done anything seriously to push its phones because it has been preoccupied with "house cleaning" and restructuring. If BlackBerry continues this downward trend into late 2015, then all alarm bells should set off.
    Yes there are those here that refuse to understand that it isn't the US, the Media or the NSA that is BlackBerry's problem. It is simply that there are more popular devices on the market with more stable operating system that do the things the people want. No those operating system might not power nuclear power plants, and maybe the US DoD has not given those operating systems the full authority to operate. But you don't have to have an engineering degree to operate them either, and they have official apps and channels to get those apps. Right now for us to get the apps we want we are using unofficial developer abilities that have been left "on". No where will you find BlackBerry telling customers they can use the Amazon Store (or the dozen other less trustworthy Android Stores), no where will you find BlackBerry telling users to go download an APK file from some website. That we can do these things now, does not mean we will be doing them six months from now.

As for alarm bells... Those have been going off for about four years now by 2015 if things haven't improved, there will be no reason to sound any alarms! Just turn the lights off because by the end of 2015 they will be filing for Bankruptcy!

Of course I don't see them getting to that point. At some point the price of the company will match what someone out there will be willing to pay for it.....
    JeepBB, techvisor, Drew808 and 1 others like this.
    04-07-14 08:18 AM
    Ahh.. how soon we forget..

My point is, the American Media would never put so blatant a "personal" attack on one of their own no matter how bad their situation is.

The major safety recalls for GM (and this recall is probably the largest recall ever made for an automaker in history - due to their own blind greed) are happening and very public; but there are no publicise personal vendettas or attacks against them.

Outside the States, it seems fair game especially with BlackBerry (the US media also had a pretty good go with the Toyota recalls that conveniently coincided with the announcement that Toyota exceeded the global market share relative to all automakers including the US Big 3).

BTW, it's really not hard to find a link related to the article from the New York Times.. a few choice words in Google yield you many results (ie. New York Times, embarrassing, BlackBerry) . Here's an example of one.. and all sources lead right back to the New York Times' pathetic, immature article..

Technology Struggle: The New York Times Declares BlackBerrys "Embarrassing" | Hip-Hop Wired

Posted via CB10
    I never said I forgot anything, nor did I claim it was hard to find a link. But why would I go searching for the "evidence" to prove your point, especially when I already know your point is easily rebutted with the links I have? (Hint: I wouldn't.)

FYI, what you described as an "ad" is actually just a story about BB users in the U.S. So that's my first point; it's an article, not an ad. Let's be accurate. Yes, the NY Times published a "personal" attack on a corporation, kind of like the ones below. "Personal," indeed.

My second point is this: you're right. The NY Times would NEVER attack an American company. I mean, according to you, it "never" would. Oh, wait:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/bu...pagewanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/bu...pagewanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/te...pagewanted=all

(FYI: you could've easily Google'd the links above as well, but of course it's not your job to provide evidence for my argument, even if my argument is simply rebutting your claim, which is supported only by a single article thus far. Do you have any more?)

I'm sorry. . . what was your point again? You provided a single link of the NY Times "personally attacking" BBRY, and referenced "attacks" on Toyota. But for every article you can find attacking BBRY or Toyota, I can find a dozen attacking GM, Ford, Chrysler, Apple, Motorola, Google, the American government, elected officials, and both state and city governments.

If your point is that BBRY is somehow a victim of something the NY Times would never do to anyone else, the links above rebut that. Your next argument will be that none of the articles I cite describe Apple as "embarrassing," as if being accused of profiting from child labor is somehow less offensive than being called embarrassing. But by all means, feel free to argue that claim anyway, but please have more than a single link. One article from the NY Times is a pretty weak "attack" these days.
    techvisor likes this.
    04-07-14 08:28 AM
    Speaking of ecosystems...was chatting with colleague now on Android but formerly BlackBerry (playbook)... i counter his claim of the superior app ecosystem by stating BlackBerry now has MORE apps than Android. He looked puzzled...i said I can run basically any app in the google playstore.....and those on BlackBerry World. I asked him how many BlackBerry apps he could run on his phone.. he looked at the floor and quietly mumbled none.
    He bought the beers....
    Based on the bolded, technically, you owe your colleague some beer. There's a large portion of Android apps you can't run due to lack of services the Play Services provides and is required to run them.
    techvisor and bbq10l like this.
    04-07-14 08:31 AM
    I never said I forgot anything, nor did I claim it was hard to find a link. But why would I go searching for the "evidence" to prove your point, especially when I already know your point is easily rebutted with the links I have? (Hint: I wouldn't.)

FYI, what you described as an "ad" is actually just a story about BB users in the U.S. So that's my first point; it's an article, not an ad. Let's be accurate. Yes, the NY Times published a "personal" attack on a corporation, kind of like the ones below. "Personal," indeed.

My second point is this: you're right. The NY Times would NEVER attack an American company. I mean, according to you, it "never" would. Oh, wait:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/bu...pagewanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/bu...pagewanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/te...pagewanted=all

(FYI: you could've easily Google'd the links above as well, but of course it's not your job to provide evidence for my argument, even if my argument is simply rebutting your claim, which is supported only by a single article thus far. Do you have any more?)

I'm sorry. . . what was your point again? You provided a single link of the NY Times "personally attacking" BBRY, and referenced "attacks" on Toyota. But for every article you can find attacking BBRY or Toyota, I can find a dozen attacking GM, Ford, Chrysler, Apple, Motorola, Google, the American government, elected officials, and both state and city governments.

If your point is that BBRY is somehow a victim of something the NY Times would never do to anyone else, the links above rebut that. Your next argument will be that none of the articles I cite describe Apple as "embarrassing," as if being accused of profiting from child labor is somehow less offensive than being called embarrassing. But by all means, feel free to argue that claim anyway, but please have more than a single link. One article from the NY Times is a pretty weak "attack" these days.
    So my point is... let's not confused reported Fact with Personal Attacks orchestrated by the media. There are probably more examples regarding BlackBerry, but I neither have the time nor the want of effort to find it.

Update: Sorry couldn't resist. Remember this article the Wall Street Journal picked by from an independent analyst that stated the new Blackberries were being returned MORE than they were being sold - the basic logic wasn't even challenged by the joirnalists.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Black...the-US_id41792
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 04-07-14 at 09:44 AM.
    04-07-14 09:20 AM
    Yes there are those here that refuse to understand that it isn't the US, the Media or the NSA that is BlackBerry's problem. It is simply that there are more popular devices on the market with more stable operating system that do the things the people want. No those operating system might not power nuclear power plants, and maybe the US DoD has not given those operating systems the full authority to operate. But you don't have to have an engineering degree to operate them either, and they have official apps and channels to get those apps. Right now for us to get the apps we want we are using unofficial developer abilities that have been left "on". No where will you find BlackBerry telling customers they can use the Amazon Store (or the dozen other less trustworthy Android Stores), no where will you find BlackBerry telling users to go download an APK file from some website. That we can do these things now, does not mean we will be doing them six months from now.

As for alarm bells... Those have been going off for about four years now by 2015 if things haven't improved, there will be no reason to sound any alarms! Just turn the lights off because by the end of 2015 they will be filing for Bankruptcy!

Of course I don't see them getting to that point. At some point the price of the company will match what someone out there will be willing to pay for it.....
    Totally agree with you. And I meant by 2015 it will be lights out, rather than the alarms setting off, for being competitive in the mobile devices market.
    04-07-14 09:45 AM
    Android is WINDOWS of the Phone market, BlackBerry, Tizen, Apple, they can only look as Droid takes 90% of the future market with thier open source virus ridden os.
    Open Source Virus Ridden. Here is another Genius..

"On the official Google Play app and media store's apps section, only 1 in 1,000 apps was found to be classed as malware. That's slightly higher than other platforms like Microsoft's Windows Phone Store and Apple's iOS App Store, but it's not that much higher. Normalizing for market share, and it appears Google's official offerings are no less secure than Apple's or Microsoft's -- a pretty impressive feat given that its market share is nearing almost-monopoly proportions. - See more at: " DailyTech - Android has 97 Percent of Mobile Malware, But Nearly None in the U.S.
    04-07-14 09:51 AM
    It'll be cut in half by the end of 2014.

I'm seeing less and less Blacberries every day.
    04-07-14 09:53 AM
    Ok but when we talk about money... and companies... comparing market share..... compare Samsung ffs..

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    People make the same argument about Apple. I happen to agree. 1 company that owns 15% of the market isn't as bad as it sounds.
    cleveland216 and stlabrat like this.
    04-07-14 10:10 AM
    The media loves negative news, they thrive on it whether it be plane disasters or impending war! Nice stories like this sell. More BlackBerry doom and gloom as usual. Nothing changes here does it

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    Did you seriously just compare a news story of BlackBerry's marketshare to tragedies that affect peoples' lives, wellbeing, way of life and future safety and stability of a certain geographical region? People dying, starving, having their homes destroyed, losing family members having an entire area turned to rubble and you put a BB news story up with that? That's got to be one of the most obliviously inconsiderate statements I have ever read in these forums. How dare you...
    04-07-14 10:54 AM
    People make the same argument about Apple. I happen to agree. 1 company that owns 15% of the market isn't as bad as it sounds.
    If only BB was maintaining the 15%. By the end of the year it will be below 10. Besides Apple and BB part of the smartphone markets are totally different; Apple has a large percentage of the high margin market. BB07 isn't making Chen much money.
    04-07-14 10:58 AM
    Blackberry is awesome. it has the best OS. It has more apps than android. It is used in nuclear reactors. All this drop in market share points to an American conspiracy. Just saying...
    Which is why this is a report of marketshare in CANADA dropping? Unless you're talking about North America as a whole last time I checked Canada wasn't a part of the US. Since BlackBerry has less than 5% Worldwide marketshare let me ask you: Is there a North American, South American, European, Asian, African, Australian, or even Antarctic conspiracy then? If not then I hope you don't view the US as the only place in the world because if that's the case when it comes to BlackBerry sales I guess the other countries and regions that BB sells too aren't holding up their end of the bargain.
    04-07-14 11:02 AM
    I'm going to ask what seems to be an obvious question, but maybe isn't so obvious (especially since a cursory look at the ComScore website doesn't reveal how it compiles its data).

How exactly is "market share" being determined by these companies? Is someone actually going to providers and saying "how many ____ users do you have?" Are sales being used as a proxy? Is there some other method? Because when someone says "Blackberry has 0% of market share in the U.S." despite knowing that certain government entities still use Blackberry devices and seeing people here who are in the U.S. who say "I've got one and use it," I start questioning the accuracy of the statement and how it's being determined (not to mention whether it's being intentionally paraded around for someone's benefit).

I'm not saying 15% in Canada is inaccurate (I do think 0% in the U.S. is wholly inaccurate), I'm just saying that if the methodology used to calculate market share is flawed, everything else that falls out from that point is similar flawed - and I think it would be nice if someone could shed some light on how that's being determined.
    04-07-14 12:33 PM
    exactly... the media is being fed with inaccurate statements about blackberry. There are more than 70 million blackberry users world wide. And with Z3 there are going to be 100 million by q1 next year. We should boycott all inaccurate reports about Blackberry
    Really? Is that 100 million Z3 sales or 30 million Z3 sales.
    04-07-14 12:47 PM
    I'm surprised that the market share is as high as 15% giving the latest quarter sales numbers.
    It would be more interesting to know the install base.
    The 15% is installed base. Market share is probably half that, less than 10%

Comscore is installed base numbers. IDC, Kantar and Gartner are sales numbers, also called. market share.
    04-07-14 12:53 PM
    Comscore only counts primary devices. If a device is used for business as a secondary device (Android/Iphone/WM personal and BB for work) which Blackberry frequently are they would be undercounted. Then you have to figure out what percentage of the market that is. I don't think that moves the needle that much, probably enough to get BB out of the 0% tier, but its something to be considered.
    04-07-14 12:54 PM
    exactly... the media is being fed with inaccurate statements about blackberry. There are more than 70 million blackberry users world wide. And with Z3 there are going to be 100 million by q1 next year. We should boycott all inaccurate reports about Blackberry
    Do you not realize how little 70 million users is in this market? And unless there's a sudden 300%-400% spike in BB sales, which is obscenely unlikely. Currently BB10 sales are 350k per month, and BB7 sales about 900k, and that's without increasing total active users.
    04-07-14 01:40 PM
    If 85% of smartphones in CANADA are not BlackBerry that is very bad......... I will continue to support them from down here in America but it isn't selling in its home country it is toast... lets be realistic.. the end is probably near....
    04-07-14 02:25 PM
    android is comprised of dozens of manufacturers and they don't share the same pool of cash..... how can we compare this to Apple and BlackBerry

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    You pointed that out perfect!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 02:27 PM
    BB10 sells 350k a month? Wow. Weren't the sales 1.9 million for Q3 2013? Your figures would put it at closer to 5 mil per quarter.
    Where are you getting your numbers? BB10 sales were at 1.1 million for the last quarter. Additionally, where do you equate 350k * 3 equals 5 million?
    04-07-14 02:44 PM
    Do you not realize how little 70 million users is in this market? And unless there's a sudden 300%-400% spike in BB sales, which is obscenely unlikely. Currently BB10 sales are 350k per month, and BB7 sales about 900k, and that's without increasing total active users.
    Where is he getting 70 million users to begin with?

I taught that was where they were last year, and at the time they were in a noise dive as they were losing subscribers much faster than BBOS devices were selling. Being that BBOS sales have continued to crumble each quarter and BB10 has never gone anywhere.... I think it would be very interesting to know what the install base or subscriber base is for BlackBerry these days.
    DenverRalphy, Rello and Drew808 like this.
    04-07-14 02:56 PM
    I was adding 350k+900 = 125 *3 closer to 4mil.
    That would be total BB devices. Not BB10 alone. Last quarter BB sold a total of 3.7 million devices. Which shows that BB10 sold much less than BB OS7 devices. Additionally, BB has stopped announcing total BB device user counts, which is a bad sign. Because if they actually did increase total active users, they would have included that number.
    techvisor likes this.
    04-07-14 02:58 PM
132 ... 23456