John Spallanzani, GFI Group, the guy on the right, has the right comments about Thorsten... maybe that's why he's been so silent.
    Harper suggests Canada may review BlackBerry deal
    09-26-13 03:54 PM
    This is like a very scary(good) roller-coaster BlackBerry is riding. Great. So, now, speculation that the deal won't happen.
    09-26-13 04:54 PM
    This is like a very scary(good) roller-coaster BlackBerry is riding. Great. So, now, speculation that the deal won't happen.
    You know how here in the United States there is a part of national election campaigns known as the "Silly Season?" This is BlackBerry's version of that.
    09-26-13 06:05 PM
    The speculation begins
    jh07 likes this.
    09-26-13 06:24 PM
    There is zero chance the gov't would get involved in the takeover of a Canadian company by another Canadian company.

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    09-26-13 06:39 PM
    There is zero chance the gov't would get involved in the takeover of a Canadian company by another Canadian company.
    Mr Harper only addressed the Canadian government involvement in the event that a takeover involves a foreign entity and is over a specific financial threshold.
    09-26-13 06:50 PM

But what if a foreign firm is providing the cash money flow? I don't know much about the regulations and if someone could clarify that would be great.
    09-26-13 06:51 PM
    You sure get the feeling like some people have a sick enjoyment out of watching blackberry fail and seem to take it personally when someone doesn't pile on. That CNET columnist sounded like he wanted to do his part in affecting the outcome by spouting the negative side of the rhetoric. The other guy seemed like he knew what was going on but again as has been the case with Blackberry perception is reality and the others just wanted to report negatively.

There is no doubt that there is a sicko fascination with the fall of blackberry. You see it all over crackberry where Iphonies and Androiders feel the need to post negative comments and doom and gloom about the whole situation. Why do they even know crackberry.com exists?

In my opinion there are a few non tangible factors that have hurt blackberry. Not least of these is the fact that Blackberry is Canadian. Americans love a train wreck and the also love the comeback story (only when it involves Americans). When blackberry was beginning to be a player and a popular device a few years back no one knew that they were a Canadian company. I remember carrying a Motorola Q and travelling a lot in the US. All US business users I met at that time seemed to have a blackberry and when talking to them were not aware that it was a Canadian company.

Sometime shortly after that it became more common knowledge that Blackberry was Canadian and I don't think that ever helped the "cool" factor as Americans usually think Canadians are not cool.
    09-26-13 06:52 PM
    John Spallanzani, GFI Group, the guy on the right, has the right comments about Thorsten... maybe that's why he's been so silent.
    Harper suggests Canada may review BlackBerry deal
    personally i thing Heins is going to either get canned or step down thats why hes been so quiet. from a management stand point they effed up, and the management end all falls on Heins as the CEO. they botched the launch of BB10 there was no marketing there was nothing when it came to the push of it
    09-26-13 07:30 PM
    But what if a foreign firm is providing the cash money flow? I don't know much about the regulations and if someone could clarify that would be great.
    they review it to see if its in Canadas best interest, selling off the company may mean shipping jobs out of country which leaves canadians with less work and the government with less tax income on these workers
    09-26-13 07:33 PM
    They have already clarified the consortium is a Canadian one so there won't be foreign money - likely Canadian pension plans with Fairfax.

09-26-13 08:56 PM
    Here's the link to the Investment Canada Act - he said nothing new and within the gov't rights:

Home - Investment Canada Act

I do wonder if the gov't jumps to support financing. Financing for investments has been done before.
    09-26-13 09:03 PM
    You sure get the feeling like some people have a sick enjoyment out of watching blackberry fail and seem to take it personally when someone doesn't pile on. That CNET columnist sounded like he wanted to do his part in affecting the outcome by spouting the negative side of the rhetoric. The other guy seemed like he knew what was going on but again as has been the case with Blackberry perception is reality and the others just wanted to report negatively.

There is no doubt that there is a sicko fascination with the fall of blackberry. You see it all over crackberry where Iphonies and Androiders feel the need to post negative comments and doom and gloom about the whole situation. Why do they even know crackberry.com exists?

In my opinion there are a few non tangible factors that have hurt blackberry. Not least of these is the fact that Blackberry is Canadian. Americans love a train wreck and the also love the comeback story (only when it involves Americans). When blackberry was beginning to be a player and a popular device a few years back no one knew that they were a Canadian company. I remember carrying a Motorola Q and travelling a lot in the US. All US business users I met at that time seemed to have a blackberry and when talking to them were not aware that it was a Canadian company.

Sometime shortly after that it became more common knowledge that Blackberry was Canadian and I don't think that ever helped the "cool" factor as Americans usually think Canadians are not cool.
    I think you're simplifying this a bit too much. There are a lot of non-American products that have succeeded in the U.S., Japanese cars, Chinese-made products, Korean gadgets and appliances. There is no anti-Canadian perception in the U.S. Americans don't care where it comes from so long as its priced right and has good quality. Best to look at how BlackBerry phones are selling in Canada. Last I looked IPhones and Androids are the preferred choice and there is a good reason for that.
    phuoc and techvisor like this.
    09-26-13 09:07 PM
    I think you're simplifying this a bit too much. There are a lot of non-American products that have succeeded in the U.S., Japanese cars, Chinese-made products, Korean gadgets and appliances. There is no anti-Canadian perception in the U.S. Americans don't care where it comes from so long as its priced right and has good quality. Best to look at how BlackBerry phones are selling in Canada. Last I looked IPhones and Androids are the preferred choice and there is a good reason for that.
    The anti-Canadian theory only makes sense if you ignore the years of success in the US market that made the company what it was in 2007. Since then, they have failed to compete.

Heins has failed as a CEO, but Spallanzini believes that the Blackberry brand is strong and people just want good devices with keyboards. Nothing could be further from the truth. The market for keyboard devices is very small, however passionate those consumers might be. Like Nokia, Palm, IBM, Compaq, and Commodore, the Blackberry brand no longer resonates with consumers.
    09-27-13 09:38 AM
    The anti-Canadian theory only makes sense if you ignore the years of success in the US market that made the company what it was in 2007. Since then, they have failed to compete.

Heins has failed as a CEO, but Spallanzini believes that the Blackberry brand is strong and people just want good devices with keyboards. Nothing could be further from the truth. The market for keyboard devices is very small, however passionate those consumers might be. Like Nokia, Palm, IBM, Compaq, and Commodore, the Blackberry brand no longer resonates with consumers.
    The brand doesn't resonate with consumers because BlackBerry's marketing team has done a horrible job marketing the device. Very few people know about the Z10, but when they're shown it and how it works, a lot of people I've done this with, really like the phone. I know that's not a huge sample size, but I do believe it, along with having read several other similar stories on CrackBerry, reinforces that the BB10 phones warrant a larger market share than they currently have and this is due to horrible marketing.
    09-27-13 10:52 AM