BlackBerry Demystified 6: The Z30 Sold Out, Do We Have A Black Swan? (BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

Article from Seeking Alpha:

"Does the Black Swan Theory apply to BlackBerry? Statistics are lagging indicators and at least 3 months behind. Recent events suggest we have a rare event developing.
    On ShopBlackBerry.com, the black Z30 sold out. In Indonesia, pre-orders of Z3 sold out. Mobile traffic is up from 1.13% to 1.20%. BBM hits 50 million+ installs.
    Hacking and security breaches are on the rise. BlackBerry stands to gain from the bad news.
    While on ShopBlackBerry.com, I noticed the black Z30 posted an "Out of Stock" notice. It was selling for $499.99 CAD. Curious as to whether the phenomenon was localized to the Canadian store, I fooled my browser into thinking I was from the US, and tried the site again. When the store thought I was from the US, it also displayed a sold out notice. Turns out the pricing was also the same in the US, $499.99. This begs the question: Is mass media again wrong about BlackBerry (BBRY)? The BlackBerry flagship phone is selling, mobile traffic on a BB device is up, pre-orders are sold out, and yet the pessimism continues?"

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 09:36 AM
    Somebody else sees!

EDIT: All very interesting reads.

Search Results | Seeking Alpha
    05-08-14 09:47 AM
    I doubt it. I think we are seeing we still have playbooks and old phones sitting in inventory piled up. We won't make so many from now on.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-08-14 09:53 AM
    I would love to be optimistic here but I just don't see it. I think it is more likely poor execution in regards to inventory management. Sure there may have been some pent up demand from users whose carriers were not carrying the Z30 but more than likely I'd say Blackberry didn't make very many extra since they didn't have too many pre-orders from carriers as is historically the case with new phones with plenty of hype. Since BlackBerry didn't market the Z30 they probably didn't want to get stuck with unsold handsets. I think people should buy a Z30 as soon as they can get their hands on one as it's an awesome phone and perhaps they won't make more before a new model comes out in 2015.
    kbz1960 and muellerto like this.
    05-08-14 09:53 AM
    I doubt it. I think we are seeing we still have playbooks and old phones sitting in inventory piled up. We won't make so many from now on.
    Aways the optimist!

I would love to be optimistic here but I just don't see it. I think it is more likely poor execution in regards to inventory management. Sure there may have been some pent up demand from users whose carriers were not carrying the Z30 but more than likely I'd say Blackberry didn't make very many extra since they didn't have too many pre-orders from carriers as is historically the case with new phones with plenty of hype. Since BlackBerry didn't market the Z30 they probably didn't want to get stuck with unsold handsets. I think people should buy a Z30 as soon as they can get their hands on one as it's an awesome phone and perhaps they won't make more before a new model comes out in 2015.
    Myself, I believe the truth lies between his post and yours. It's never as bad as the media suggests, nor as great as the enthusiast would like it to be.

Still the general point IS valid: The bashing is mostly unjustified by now.
    raw_dog, Stewartj1 and Trini-34 like this.
    05-08-14 09:54 AM
    Aways the optimist!

Myself, I believe the truth lies between his post and yours. It's never as bad as the media suggests, nor as great as the enthusiast would like it to be.

Still the general point IS valid: The bashing is mostly unjustified by now.
    They are smart if they didn't produce them like they did playbooks and Z10 and Q10. If they didn't reduce the quantity made I would say they were stupid.
    Rello, Stewartj1, q649 and 1 others like this.
    05-08-14 09:58 AM
    "Shop BlackBerry.com" is operated by Digital River, a retailer, NOT by BB. Just because a device goes out-of-stock temporarily on a single retailer's site doesn't mean that the Z30 is sold out worldwide, it means that Digital River ordered a batch of Z30s from BB, and now they've sold out of THAT BATCH and need to order another batch. And no one is suggesting that they are ordering 10,000 phones at a time - it's more likely that they are ordering 500 at a time, which means a (temporary) "sell-out" doesn't have much meaning.

Similarly, the "pre-order sell-out" in Indonesia was for a total of 1,000 "limited edition" launch phones that were specially-marked "Jakarta" on the back. It doesn't mean the Z3 will sell tens of millions of phones or anything.

Whoever wrote this article clearly doesn't understand how retail business works, and made huge leaps in logic to get to his conclusion.

Don't get me wrong - it's way too early to talk about the Z3, which, other than the pre-order of these "limited edition" phones is not even on sale yet. The Z3 could still be a big success. It's just that this pre-order doesn't really MEAN or even suggest that that will be the case. It's simply a marketing gimmick, designed to build a little hype and get some free advertising, and on that level, it succeeded (good job, BB!). But the "battle" of the Z3 has not yet begun.
    JeepBB, chr1sny and bmantz65 like this.
    05-08-14 11:54 AM
    Seeking Alpha veers wildly between irrational optimism and irrational pessimism when it comes to BlackBerry. I'd just ignore it.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 12:00 PM
    Black Swan is a bad thing. If you read Naseem's book. What The author means is a "white swan".

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 12:19 PM
    I like you OP hope this phone sells and helps to turn the company around. I just don't understand why the Q10, the Best BlackBerry ever, has not really caught on by outselling BB7 devices.
    05-08-14 04:58 PM
    But but I just bought one 3 days ago......

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 05:05 PM
    But but I just bought one 3 days ago......

Posted via CB10
    Grats! You bought the last one in stock lol.
    05-09-14 07:41 AM
    I like you OP hope this phone sells and helps to turn the company around. I just don't understand why the Q10, the Best BlackBerry ever, has not really caught on by outselling BB7 devices.
    There are loads of 99xx devices in government and enterprise. It is possible those entities are waiting for contracts to reach their end dates before moving to BB10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    05-09-14 08:01 AM
    What about the Z10, it been reported it's selling out in India - How could they leave that out, it's HUGE!

We will know on June 19, 2014 how sales are going with these old and unmarketed devices - I personally expect fewer sales than last quarter. But anything is possible, and it would be great if BB10 were "catching on".

It will take until September 26, 2014 to really know the impact the Z3 will have... depending on when and where else it gets released. I doubt that some preorders and two weeks of sales in one market are going to be more than a blip in the 1st quarter.
    05-09-14 08:56 AM
    I heard Z39 was sold out until June

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 09:02 AM
    Z30...Damm 9 button beside the 0

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 09:02 AM
    I heard Z30 was sold out until June

Posted via CB10
    White and Black version are on the US version of shop.blackberry.com as of three minutes ago. Verizon Wireless show black in stock also.....
    05-09-14 10:04 AM
    I've been to 5 cities in the last month. I only found one white unit at a black market in Singapore going for usd 700. i gave up trying in Boston, New York and Tokyo. Ended up ordering one from a Malaysian telco for usd 499. It took 2 weeks for it to arrive. This phone sure is rare.
    05-09-14 04:39 PM
    I ordered my Z30 of shopblackberry.com in Canada on Saturday, April 12. It shipped on Monday, April 14, and I received it on Tuesday, April 15. Painless.
    05-12-14 06:48 AM
    White and Black version are on the US version of shop.blackberry.com as of three minutes ago. Verizon Wireless show black in stock also.....
    And still there this morning....

Do these only show up for US customers?
    05-12-14 08:07 AM
    Seeking Alpha veers wildly between irrational optimism and irrational pessimism when it comes to BlackBerry. I'd just ignore it.

Posted via CB10
    Like the stuff we read in the forums.
    05-12-14 07:38 PM
    Nice!

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    05-12-14 07:47 PM