03-04-14 03:45 PM
64 123
tools
    Talk about cognitive dissonance. "Everybody loved it, so it was a huge flop." What?

There are clearly still people at BB who never leave the BB bubble, and for them, "everybody" only includes hardcore BB fans. That's a very dangerous sign, and it looks like Chen still has some executives who need replacing. BB needs more fresh blood - people who know there is a world outside of BB, who can help BB compete in that world. If you don't know and understand your enemy, you will get crushed by them, every time.
    Perhaps. I would separate the marketing spin in public though from assuming it's exactly the same way in private with everyone. All companies talk big in public haha.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    02-28-14 08:07 AM
    You know what's ironic, I love my playbook. Obviously I might have had a different experience had I shelled out 600 quid for it.. bit sometimes not having money is good
    I had the same experience and view when I had one. Bought a 64 GB model for $200 around the time OS 2.0 came out so definitely didn't have the same experience of getting burned that an early adopter had. It still felt a bit like the smart kid at the back of the class who didn't apply himself when I had it, but I'd have had a different view if I bought it when it first came out. Nice hardware (at the time), the OS showed a lot of promise and potential elegance, the software needed work and there was an app gap. BlackBerry 10 would have filled in a lot of the pieces that I thought were missing in the OS, especially replacing the sluggish AIR apps with slicker Cascades apps. It used to surprise people how many games were on it - partly because it was a "BlackBerry" and partly because of the app gap reputation. The HDMI out, nice screen, good hardware and support for engines made it a game device I quite liked. Only wish that it had supported bluetooth joypads

My stepdad has it now and it's been replaced with a 64 GB Kindle Fire HDX. Newer hardware, much higher res screen and more apps. Though missing the HDMI out, rear camera, the OS is much less elegant (IMO). And worse, there's still an app gap! Many of the great Android apps are in the Google Play store which won't work on an unrooted Kindle Fire. Grrr!
    02-28-14 08:13 AM
    When we launched PlayBook, beyond the fact that everybody knows that PlayBook was no a huge success, everybody loved it,

There's actually 4 groups:

A small group that loves the PlayBook
    A small group that hates it
    A slightly larger group that knows it was not a huge success
    The other 99% of the planet that has never heard of the PlayBook, never knew that BlackBerry put out a tablet and have probably not heard about BB10 either.
    02-28-14 10:31 AM
    And worse, there's still an app gap! Many of the great Android apps are in the Google Play store which won't work on an unrooted Kindle Fire. Grrr!
    A lot of people don't realize that Amazon is running a fork of Android. Not Jelly-Bean or KitKat.
    02-28-14 11:01 AM
    A lot of people don't realize that Amazon is running a fork of Android. Not Jelly-Bean or KitKat.
    I'm totally guilty of this. I thought, "I'm getting the most popular android tablet. Great".

Surprise! Shame on me for not digging in further, but didn't think I had to.I love the hardware and ecosystem, but a lot of things are actually really sloppily done in the fork ... the notifications, the version controlling of the apps, the settings, the store even. I'm getting used to it, but definitely I think it has work that needs to be done.

Had no idea that it was physically barred from accessing Google Play without routing. I thought I'd have the choice to access Google Play on my own. Surprise!
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 03-01-14 at 11:58 AM.
    02-28-14 12:03 PM
    I have two PB 64's at home and both are used daily. With all the PB's shortcomings, and there are many, I like them a lot. The hardware is premium and the core features in the OS are great I think. The browser sucks of course.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a PB part deux, BBRY needs to have a well defined product strategy and technology road map first, and then of course only if a new PB fits the strategy, etc. I trust Mr. Chen is working on defining these things for the sake of the company's future.

To me the PB seems to be a product that was nearly still born and existed only so RIM (at the time) could say hey we have a Tablet!!!!
    02-28-14 12:43 PM
    I would love a newer PlayBook that could run BB10 apps, had the better browser and keyboard, and was faster and had a higher res screen. I've bought 6 PlayBook in all (only one 16 GB at the original full price). While the PB is really showing it's age, I still use mine nearly every day in some capacity. I love my Z10, but sometimes it's just better to use the larger 7" screen of the PB, despite it's weaknesses.

The commercial prospects aren't good though for a PB2. My guess is that any future PB would be targeted at enterprise use, and there'd need to be a pretty compelling case for it. Something to really push their "mobile computing" mantra.
    02-28-14 12:44 PM
    None of those are made by Apple or google.... smh

Posted via CB10
    I wasn't aware that Google even made tablets. My Nexus 7 is made by Asus, and my girlfriends Nexus 10 is made by Samsung. Have I mised something?
    richardat likes this.
    02-28-14 02:08 PM
    That nexus 7 is awesome.

The 2013 anyway.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    03-01-14 12:26 PM
    Honestly I love BlackBerry but I do hate my PlayBook. It was exciting for a week and then it just felt slow to use and heavy to hold. The browser was slow, it kept crashing. I couldn't get Skype and they lied to us about The BB10 update. So yeah I came to hate it. Oh forgot to mention the battery life, the time it takes to charge, the hard to press power button and the loose mini USB charging port. So hopefully the next one will be completely different. On the plus side the hub and bridge features were amazing.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 06:59 AM
    I would hate to see BlackBerry lose a bunch of money on another poor rollout of a second tablet .... .... but I would Love (!) a new PB (even with a new name) because my two are still used every day and, warts and all, they have served me well. Build a better product, price it to MOVE, and give it another go under Chen leadership. Add them for $100 for every Z30 or q20 corporate phone purchase. Get people outside of CB talking about them and using them. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 07:19 AM
    I would hate to see BlackBerry lose a bunch of money on another poor rollout of a second tablet .... .... but I would Love (!) a new PB (even with a new name) because my two are still used every day and, warts and all, they have served me well. Build a better product, price it to MOVE, and give it another go under Chen leadership. Add them for $100 for every Z30 or q20 corporate phone purchase. Get people outside of CB talking about them and using them. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Yet you probably advocate BlackBerry keep releasing new smartphone models despite continued miss steps with pricing and marketing of the current BlackBerry 10 product family. My BlackPlayBooks still serve their original uses although the lack of updates and application support has been a concern.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    03-03-14 06:53 AM
    I liked my PlayBook when I first bought it, but I rarely use it now. My Z10 is more useful.

I think BlackBerry needs a tablet in its mobile lineup if nothing other than to lure more developers.

Would I buy one? Even with BB10, no. For less than $500 I can get a pretty nice Windows 8.1 tablet that will run FULL windows desktop applications.
    03-04-14 12:02 AM
    I would defo buy a new blackberry tablet/playbook

Post via a very smart Q10
    03-04-14 03:45 PM
64 123