07-01-15 10:38 AM
30 12
tools
    BlackBerry Considers Bacteria-Free Device for Hospitals - Bloomberg Business

This would definitely a differentiator for BlackBerry's and fits perfectly with the strategy of becoming a niche business. I think if BlackBerry can come up with specific differentiators for the government, legal, and finance industries like this bacteria-free smartphone, that would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 08:04 AM
    nice idea. but is there truly anything that is bacteria-free?
    Nick Spagnolo and donemt like this.
    06-25-15 08:05 AM
    What they could do is create a device that easily cleanable, IP&C certified for being cleanable, we have TV remotes in hospitals for example that are built for this purposes.
    z1nsane likes this.
    06-25-15 08:17 AM
    Not sure this is a good idea, our gut needs bacteria to work properly.
    06-25-15 12:39 PM
    The only bacteria free smartphone is one that has never been used. Otherwise, they all get handled regularly by someone who is in the bathroom.
    06-25-15 12:48 PM
    It depends really on the material it's made from. For example, silver doesn't let bacteria grow on its surface.

Now, I don't suggest they make silver phones, but a synthetic with similar properties? Why not?

Work Wide and Prosper
    06-25-15 12:52 PM
    Maybe BlackBerry laid off so many people that the remaining staff is confused between virus free and bacteria free? :-)
    I know, sorry for the bad joke.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 12:53 PM
    The only bacteria free smartphone is one that has never been used. Otherwise, they all get handled regularly by someone who is in the bathroom.
    Gross, funny and true.
    06-25-15 01:04 PM
    It depends really on the material it's made from. For example, silver doesn't let bacteria grow on its surface.
    The pathogenic bacteria aren't growing on smartphones. They are wiped on there by contaminated human hands. Smartphones will always be bacteria-laden. What else is handled on a regular basis in the bathroom and never washed? Perhaps if the device is designed to heat up every night to 180 degrees then it can be auto-sterilized.
    06-25-15 01:14 PM
    A phone that's coated in hand sanitizer would do.

While you charge your phone, you also "charge" it with hand sanitizer 😂

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 01:15 PM
    So don't eat the phone

Posted via CB10
    thurask and serbanescu like this.
    06-25-15 01:32 PM
    I dunno, a phone that is easily cleaned by a stint under a UV lamp?
    06-25-15 01:49 PM
    Worked in a hospital, part of my work still in healthcare. Unless you can demonstrate that a "bacteria-free phone" significantly reduces mortality or infection rates or something like that, I anticipate absolutely no interest. BlackBerry, not knowing what people want since 2007...
    donemt and sentimentGX4 like this.
    06-25-15 01:57 PM
    A phone that's coated in hand sanitizer would do.

While you charge your phone, you also "charge" it with hand sanitizer 😂

Posted via CB10
    Then people can really complain about back logo falling off and rusting.

 Classic
    06-25-15 02:49 PM
    One word: Healthcare
    In a hospital, many surfaces, door handles, etc. have antibacterial coating so it's not out of the ordinary for BlackBerry to be thinking about coating a phone with some kind of antibacterial coating considering their push into healthcare.
    06-25-15 03:19 PM

Now, I don't suggest they make silver phones, but a synthetic with similar properties? Why not?

Work Wide and Prosper
    Vertu Hospital edition?

Doc Porsche's Silver Special Release?

(by Porsche Doc-sign)

:-)

  Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!  
    06-25-15 05:23 PM
    I understand the concept. But aren't bacteria free/resistant objects and surfaces really only worthwhile to objects and surfaces that will come in contact with (or be handled by) numerous sources? Given that a smartphone is normally only handled by one person, any bacteria on the device would be passed to it only by the person already afflicted with the bacteria. Smartphones aren't really handed around to multiple people like doorknobs, TV/Bed remotes, clipboards, etc..
    06-26-15 06:50 AM
    This is a public service announcement...
    Please don't eat the smartphones!
    06-26-15 07:26 AM
    If you have a customer that wants a large volume of bacteria resistant devices, as BlackBerry, do you make them? And lets throw in they are using other services from you...Simple answer, meet the customers need and its yours to profit from.

Now if your making it to make it, please, just buy a hockey team. At least that wouldn't be without its entertainment value.
    06-26-15 09:00 AM
    Would it be in bad taste to make a joke about Blackberry's handset sales? :-p

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 10:35 AM
    nice idea. but is there truly anything that is bacteria-free?
    Bleach. (99.99997% or something)

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 04:18 PM
    What they could do is create a device that easily cleanable, IP&C certified for being cleanable, we have TV remotes in hospitals for example that are built for this purposes.
    This is the correct understanding of what a Bacteria-free smartphone would be like. And I would love to have one. Cell phones are disgustingly filthy on average.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 06:29 PM
    The phone will come with gloves and anti septic wipes.

Clean after every use, and your phone is bacteria free.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    06-27-15 07:20 PM
    The phone will come with gloves and anti septic wipes.

Clean after every use, and your phone is bacteria free.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    Not with all the crevices and grooves. Especially not with our PKBs.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 11:23 PM
    I dunno, a phone that is easily cleaned by a stint under a UV lamp?
    UV sanitizers quickly degrade and weaken most types of glass and plastic. They also cause rapid significant: fading of color. BlackBerry may be researching making a phone that is both bacteria-growth resistant by using a synthetic material imbued with an anti-fungal agent and or using materials that are hardened and non-porous or they may be trying to find materials that better stand up to frequent UV sanitation.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 08:50 AM
30 12