07-23-15 05:38 AM
551 ... 678910 ...
tools
    My guess is if BlackBerry goes Android, it will apply some of BB's security strengths in the package. So, business customers who were leary of Android may rethink their position. I think it will provide more opportunities for BB than limiting it. Don't forget, BB does not seem to be winning a lot of high profile business customers these days!
    What happened to the "marriage between software, server and hardware to create security"... and "android is unsecurable" I don't think they can possibly get android as secure as BlackBerry 10.. or any open source software for that matter

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 03:32 PM
    Obviously this isn't about apps, cause bb10 can do android apps.. There isn't an app gap any longer other then it's not well advertised or well executed by bb.. Wish the bb world would by default have them there as a 3rd party section.

The bigger issue, is that the masses don't want bb cause it's not fun enough.. Even though it's that very thing I think the bb10 users find appealing.

I would hate a bb android device. Hate the very idea of it but unless the type comes out for iphone6 somehow.. All is pkb people are screwed.
    06-12-15 03:36 PM
    You know, I can always tell who has a deep working knowledge of things, verses the roboticized drones, who spit catchphrases like "app gap" and "this OS gives me what I need". Short of decompiling an OS, as long as the UI/UX is skinned and executed properly, the majority would be completely clueless about what foundation is responding to input.

Case in point, "android" is a foundation to be built upon. What's built on it, is at the discretion of the developer or development team. Samsung's version of android is called TouchWiz, and although it resembles let's say Motorola's android, the way they function is totally different. Even smaller developers, like CyanogenMod, who have their OEM, it functions NOTHING like TouchWiz.
    There are developers who have gesture based controls, where physical keys are not on the device, like on the OnePlus One. And if you have some sort of skill, you can tweak any launcher to respond to user input, just like you're used to.

And the "security" soapbox is a weak foothold, because that gap is closing. And no regular customer, with any actual security concerns, should EVER use a wireless device, because once you hit SEND, guess what... Oh, or the moment you set up your Outlook, Yahoo or Gmail... Sweet lord, don't log into FB... Matter of fact, never install any apps. You don't know the developer at all! For all you know, your favorite app is the one that leaves you the most venerable. OH, and always take out your SIM and battery, turn off your GPS, wrap your device in aluminum and lock it in a lead box, pour concrete on it, then book a cruise, and toss it overboard. Now you're secure!!
    Because the number ONE security breach on everyone's device is their carrier! How do you think those bill collectors got your new number?
    06-12-15 03:37 PM
    First things first. I sincerely hope they do not do this. Why? Because then, BB10 would no longer be lag free. It would require some crazy specs and would still not function smoothly over time. Yes I would like to see John Chen do something about apps requiring google play services. Yes you can get majority of the apps from 3rd party stores or even by loading play store but the problem with that is only people on CrackBerry know about these. For the normal consumer, most of them don't even know that BB10 supports android applications. And the Amazon Appstore isn't helping a great deal because it does not even have instagram. Unfortunately for a consumer, apps like instagram, snapchat, uber matter. Infact uber is a pretty necessary application if you ask me. And the mobile site isn't a good work around (I am talking in Indian context, the app works differently- you have to link your account to another app called Paytm) I would want BlackBerry to continue with BB10 development and somehow get google play services on the phones. Whatever John Chen is brewing I hope it's not an android phone. Like other have pointed out, it will be almost impossible for BlackBerry to make money if they go android. It's just too crowded there. Even HTC is in trouble.
    The ideal picture for me: get google play services to somehow work (officially that is so every consumer using a BB10 phone can get the apps straightaway) leverage this to sell more handsets and leverage that in the long run to get the big apps to go native. Nothing can beat a native app at the eventually. And BlackBerry isn't in the specs game exactly either. And phones other than the Passport and Z30 to some extent, while they run native apps well they stutter a fair bit when it comes to android apps. So obviously they need to bump up specs as well.

Q5SQR100-3/10.3.1.2576
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-12-15 03:44 PM
    06-12-15 03:49 PM
    eh? That's this thread isn't it? (unless I've hit the bottle early).
    06-12-15 03:56 PM
    get google play services to somehow work (officially that is so every consumer using a BB10 phone can get the apps straightaway)

Q5SQR100-3/10.3.1.2576

As discussed above - that will never happen under any circumstance - there is no chance of this.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    06-12-15 03:57 PM
    Yes it is.
    cgk likes this.
    06-12-15 04:02 PM
    Yes it is.
    We call this "Duelling Mods". Zocster merged another thread into this one at the same time I was closing and redirecting it to this one.

Edit: I thought about deleting my post and the others referring to it. But lets see if anyone gets caught in the loop. Lol.
    cgk, Mecca EL, Superfly_FR and 2 others like this.
    06-12-15 04:15 PM
    This actually makes the most sense. A dual boot option, or an android option to run google apps.
    MTBBguy likes this.
    06-12-15 05:02 PM
    Most likely not fake. Reuters actually went to BlackBerry and Google. If the news was false, there would be outright denial and that's the end of that. Instead, you got the PR response which I quote here from the Reuters article.
    It's the Quiet period.. remember?? So why would they speak to a journalist??? Unless we hear from John Chen.. I don't believe in that nonsense...

I've read some former articles from 4/5 years ago about BlackBerry..... and a lot from big names/journalist... something that was "true" in their minds..... it never came out the way they had forsee it...

Try to find or read some of those old articles...in their minds.... BlackBerry was dead 4/5 years ago.

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-12-15 05:14 PM
    This actually makes the most sense. A dual boot option, or an android option to run google apps.
    Dual-boot mobiles are a solution looking for a problem - also I am pretty sure that in 2014, Microsoft and Google actually worked together behind the scenes to kill off Asus (??)'s dual-boot plans.
    Ecm and southlander like this.
    06-12-15 05:15 PM
    I was thinking of the same thing you are. I think rumors are exaggerated over time so people are mistaken of the Hub on Android (which have been confirm by Chen) to a Blackberry Android phone (which has not been confirm by any source.

Reuters are the first guys to report the slider will be an Android phone but they can't say who the source is and no where have a Google or Blackberry spokesperson confirm this. Also these are the same guys who lied about the Samsung and Blackberry take over to manipulate the stock prices a few months back. I don't trust these guys anymore. They are starting to become another Yahoo news company.

I think earlier,Chen had showcased how he will package BB10 features like Hub etc to iOS and Android. This news, rather rumor completely contradicts that.
    Then what about OHA?

Hoping it is just shorts creating fuss

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 05:17 PM
    Nobody knows what BlackBerry is cooking!!!

They can surprise everyone!

Via CB10 /  white Z10
    06-12-15 05:43 PM
    Blackberry probably has decided to abandon BB10 regardless of what decision they make.
    There's not much for Blackberry to lose even if it flops.
    BB abandons BB10, I abandon BB. And I would say I am not the only one.
    06-12-15 05:46 PM
    QNX runs underground.
    06-12-15 05:49 PM
    I for one am excited about this. I use a Leap with full access to Google Play and as long as the Hub remains I would buy it. A new BlackBerry 5 inch Samsung Super AMOLED display wit BlackBerry Hub and gesture overlay on Android 5.x.... Yes Sir

Posted via CB10
    "Application Hub (com.blackberry.android) stopped unexpectedly."
    MarsupilamiX and AnimalPak200 like this.
    06-12-15 06:05 PM
    The thing with the Android Rumor... is it makes sense as a solution to the App Gap. Enterprise wants apps, but they aren't going to install Cobalt's hack to get them.

And this has LONG been talked about here on CrackBerry. Even before the PlayBook was released, many taught that Android would have been a smarter move for BlackBerry over starting from scratch.... and that was back when it was taught the "OS" was going to be ready later that same year - not the two years later that it took (and it was still unfinished).

Besides... what else is there to talk about?
    Could you be specific about which Apps specifically Enterprise "Needs"? Thank you.

ρō┬Єđ bұ mұ Ů ρÚρōЯ┬.
    06-12-15 06:10 PM
    Dual-boot mobiles are a solution looking for a problem - also I am pretty sure that in 2014, Microsoft and Google actually worked together behind the scenes to kill off Asus (??)'s dual-boot plans.
    Didn't work...Asus seems to be doing just fine these days.

ρō┬Єđ bұ mұ Ů ρÚρōЯ┬.
    06-12-15 06:11 PM
    All in all, I do not think whatever happens matters very much to us, the current owners.

Our BlackBerry 10 phones will work fine and be updated for the next three years or more.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 06:24 PM
    It's the Quiet period.. remember?? So why would they speak to a journalist??? Unless we hear from John Chen.. I don't believe in that nonsense...

I've read some former articles from 4/5 years ago about BlackBerry..... and a lot from big names/journalist... something that was "true" in their minds..... it never came out the way they had forsee it...
    Don't forget about the "sources familiar with the matter"

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 06:41 PM
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/06/12/wh...terrible-idea/

Agree w/ pretty much everything below :

Why BlackBerry building an Android phone is a terrible idea.

Hints and rumours of BlackBerry building an Android phone have been circling for years. This week, those tangents have returned.

Even before the unveiling of QNX-powered BlackBerry 10, the media peanut gallery told BlackBerry (at the time, RIM) that the only way it would successfully compete with the iPhone was to build on top of Android. Plug into BES, build in some exclusive security*features, offer*a special version of BBM (which came later), and they were on the road to revitalization.

But it became very quickly apparent that Android was not the moneymaker it set out to be, at least not for the OEMs building the phones. Enormous companies like HTC and Sony have struggled for years to make money selling Android hardware, and even Samsungs fortunes have taken a hit in the past two years. What remains is a bifurcated market of OEMs eking razor-thin*margins from increasingly-thin smartphones, with Samsung at the top and everyone else jostling for table scraps.

Profits aside, BlackBerry would enter a market that is already slowing at its high-end, with Chinese manufacturers like Xiaomi, ZTE, Huawei, Lenovo and others proving they can forge*consummate smartphone experiences at prices a third or a quarter that of the iPhone and Galaxy S. BlackBerrys point of differentiation is ostensibly to combine a large wide screen with a slider keyboard, in the Torch vein, but whether theres a demand for such a hybrid device is debatable.

And then theres the question of what*kind of Android BlackBerry would use. While the companys BB10 devices run Android apps in a runtime, its partnership with Amazon has brought*hundreds of thousands of Android apps to the platform without much work or maintenance. Should BlackBerry decide to extend that partnership further by running a variant of FireOS, what would it gain? Amazon has stumbled in its attempts to fill in the gaps left*by Googles absence, as North American smartphone customers realize that, for all of its fundamental openness, Android is inextricably linked with services like Gmail, Maps and Docs.

Should BlackBerry decide to mimic larger Android OEMs like Samsung and LG, it could work with Google to become certified for Play Services and all that entails. Weve learned that Google has a small number of stringent expectations for companies*to offer Play Store access, from pre-loading its core services to complying with certain branding and colouring. Through BlackBerrys partnership with Samsung, it could modify Knox to support an extended set of security features that would satiate*most IT managers, but it is unlikely Android, even BlackBerrys version, would assuage*military and government officials.

BlackBerry 10 is built on top of QNX, a Canadian-built operating system that is both inherently secure and extremely efficient. Had the company licensed the technology to Google in 2005 or struck a deal with Samsung in 2008, the industry may look very different. But BlackBerry attempted, after the PlayBooks introduction in 2010 and Z10s in 2013, to build its own app ecosystem, releasing a set of competent but limited developer tools that, with two ecosystems already established and thriving, failed to gain traction.

A BlackBerry device built on Android would be nothing more than an experiment, a way for the company to gauge interest for such a product. That it is rumoured to be launching on the companys flagship slider phone later this year is worrisome; John Chen is astute enough to know he cant release a high-end Android phone and expect to find success on brand recognition alone. BlackBerry, despite its dwindling set of loyalists, constitutes a minute proportion of the worldwide smartphone market. Chen himself believes there is a place for hardware within his company, and will continue building them until it no longer makes financial sense to do so. Hardware*comprised nearly half of the companys revenue last quarter, but that proportion is dipping as Chen rightly focuses on building out BES 12 as a catch-all administration*tool for all platforms.

If BlackBerry does decide to build an Android handset, Google services and all, it could go the Blackphone route and focus on security, encryption and safety. But as much short-term media attention as that may garner, it is unlikely to to translate into meaningful revenue.

Becoming merely another Android OEM is, as much as its die-hards want it, a terrible idea for BlackBerry, and is unlikely to succeed. The company needs to focus on its strengths, and those are no longer in the hardware space.
    Posted via CB10
    undone likes this.
    06-12-15 06:58 PM
    Sorry many have said that didn't appear to be an operational device, and that the image on the screen was a static "picture". Maybe it did work, but they needed to hide what was on the screen??

While it is possible to have a customized UI that could be very BlackBerry. It won't be a "forked" version of Android or like the non-Google approved version that some Chinese markers are pushing out. The whole purpose of going Android at this point would be for Google Play access, which means a Google approved OHA device.

In two week I expect Chen will have to answer a number of questions from Investors that will clear things up a little.
    Two weeks?! Seems like forever... hope it comes out as two version like the hTC one m8 (this time for BlackBerry10 and android)

 1 of the 40,000 korean BlackBerry user  3-10-Slider 
    06-12-15 07:02 PM
    06-12-15 07:35 PM
    Dual-boot phones aren't OHA-compatible, thus no Google Services, which defeats the whole point of this exercise. If you want Google Services and official Google Play access (which IS the point of switching OSs), then the phone must run Android and only Android, and that Android implementation must be Google certified, which means, among many other things, it has to pass a battery of compatibility tests. A dual-boot or a hyper-visor instance would both fail by definition, but also via compatibility testing.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    06-12-15 07:49 PM
551 ... 678910 ...