07-23-15 05:38 AM
551 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Here is what I predict if or when BB goes Android...

1-More Android based BB phones will sell than BB10 phones and for obvious reasons.
    2-Corporations with a BYOD infrastructure will start buying the Android based phones
    3-Native BB10 phone sales will decrease so much to the point that it will cease to exist, Chen will have to pull the plug.
    4-Android BB phones will be rooted with customs ROMs.
    5-BB will be no different than any other Android device manufacturer, with their own custom skin and applications to differentiate them from the HTC's, Samsung's and LG's.
    6-They will sell to the lower end markets. (They cannot compete at the high end)
    7-Chen will leave the company, BB will be sold to some Asian company.
    06-12-15 12:29 PM
    Somebody mentioned that Blaize did say something was going on, what exactly did he say? Or any link?

Posted via CB10
    Just wait and see what happens, whats the worst thing that can happen.....we'll all go over to android central and start ******** over there
    My thoughts in points:

[LIST][*]The point of the move is the ecosystem of Google and to do, they have to do it right which means Google Play store and therefore Google Play Services
    That's what I was thinking. Perhaps BlackBerry will strip the android runtime from BB10 so that they can achieve this with an Android handset.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-12-15 12:35 PM
    BBRY stock is so fundamentally overvalued ATM that I don't see this happening for some time. BBRY will need to move 5 million+ units each quarter before it is attractive to anybody else considering the other, better handset companies/divisions for sale like Sony. That's assuming that BBRY share value doesn't increase from it's current price of ~$9 while it turns around.

The other alternative is that BBRY finds another lucrative business such as EMM and simply sells its handset division. I still don't see this happening at a price that will be acceptable for current BBRY investors. BBRY's handset division as of right now is probably worth $1/share to less than nothing considering the low handset shipments.
    06-12-15 12:42 PM
    06-12-15 12:42 PM
    That's what I was thinking. Perhaps BlackBerry will strip the android runtime from BB10 so that they can achieve this with an Android handset.
    I don't think OHA allows a brand to sell android AND another OS.
    So, Android + Google services = End of BB10 = End of high grade security market = ....
    Other alternatives are time consuming and very costy so, however I take it, I can't see that - rumor - be close to real now.
    'Brewed' sounds to me like 'enhanced', not like 'start over'. But that's JMHO.
    06-12-15 12:43 PM
    And here we go ... a rumor is now a fact. Yikes.
    06-12-15 12:46 PM
    BBRY stock is so fundamentally overvalued ATM that I don't see this happening for some time. BBRY will need to move 5 million+ units each quarter before it is of value to anybody else considering the other, better handset companies/divisions for sale.
    2.5 million a quarter for HW (alone) profitability. The goal is high already, don't X2 it
    06-12-15 12:47 PM
    So, Android + Google services = End of BB10 = End of high grade security market = ....
    Other alternatives are time consuming and very costy so, however I take it, I can't see that - rumor - be close to real now.
    You can sell other OSs besides Android, just not Android forks or with Android runtimes. Companies like samsung/HTC make Android phones, but also Windows phone devices.

But yes, if BB wants to make an Android phone they must either drop BB10 entirely or drop the Android runtime from BB10.
    06-12-15 12:48 PM
    No it doesn't. Google got rid of the physical buttons a while ago. Back button was replaced with the Back action on the top left corner, that's the design. Burger menu replaced with swiping in from the left.

And other than the dorks wearing Google Glass I've yet seen an actual Android user use "OK Google"... it's the apps ecosystem that matters more, and that's what BB have been trying to tap into with the Android player in BB10 but not so well because it isn't that seamless.
    Hi. I'm 21stNow and use "OK Google Now" quite often (and don't own Google Glass).

Nexus devices may not have physical back buttons, but the on-screen back button is still there in the lower left corner. The on-screen button functions the same way that the physical button did. Also, OEMs like Samsung still have the capacitive back buttons on their devices.
    06-12-15 12:49 PM
    Doesn't HTC do this with Windows Phone?

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-12-15 12:50 PM
    Give me the speculative dual boot QNX based Android and BB10 combo. I would be happy with that.
    06-12-15 01:10 PM
    From what I understand - they can recreate most if not all of them but you cannot *exclude* the google version from your device - so you can include your hub but it cannot (for example) for example use a gesture that would replace the gesture for invoking google now and so on. So you could include your own calendar (most OEMs do) but you could not ship without the google version and so on.
    I can see the Hub being an app in that case, but I'm guessing it can't retain it's "always a swipe away" feature from within other apps? Maybe a swipe from within the Home screen (Launcher), but probably not once another app is in the foreground? That background layer presence is actually my favorite part of the Hub

I'm just wondering how a BlackBerry android might be different, aside from adding it's own apps for Mail (Hub), Calendar, Contacts, BBM, etc. Would we navigate it differently, or would it just be a different set of apps I wonder...
    06-12-15 01:15 PM
    Does no know realize that the new windows 10 phone OS allows you to use any android app? Im not sure of the exact process but WP10 will let you use apps that require play services...so if they can do it, I think BB at this point approached google with a way to work google services into the phone but still keep the QNX/BB10 framework...we will have to wait and see
    luc4625 likes this.
    06-12-15 01:33 PM
    Does no know realize that the new windows 10 phone OS allows you to use any android app? Im not sure of the exact process but WP10 will let you use apps that require play services...so if they can do it, I think BB at this point approached google with a way to work google services into the phone but still keep the QNX/BB10 framework...we will have to wait and see
    Microsoft just made it easier to port Android apps to Windows, devs still need to be on board. Its not like Windows will now get Snapchat if that company continues to shun them.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    06-12-15 01:41 PM
    A Headline that speaks a thousand words :

BlackBerry considering Android for upcoming handset-fallen-chen.png

BlackBerry 2015 = Stealing defeat from the jaws of victory!

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 01:55 PM
    Ever notice the pattern of rumors that come out during the REQUIRED quiet period.

1. Take over bid. Who was it this month Microsoft?
    2. Change in the handset business. This month we are making handsets with Android. Last month we where exiting handsets...

Its really annoying that these rumors gather steam. They should just gather moss.
    06-12-15 02:20 PM
    Here is what I predict if or when BB goes Android...

1-More Android based BB phones will sell than BB10 phones and for obvious reasons.
    2-Corporations with a BYOD infrastructure will start buying the Android based phones
    3-Native BB10 phone sales will decrease so much to the point that it will cease to exist, Chen will have to pull the plug.
    4-Android BB phones will be rooted with customs ROMs.
    5-BB will be no different than any other Android device manufacturer, with their own custom skin and applications to differentiate them from the HTC's, Samsung's and LG's.
    6-They will sell to the lower end markets. (They cannot compete at the high end)
    Pure speculation on my part but I think BlackBerry should split the difference and drop the Android runtime from BB10 these units will be dedicated to enterprise and government use thus keeping all their security certificates intact. That way they can release a pure OHA certified Android OS running BlackBerry experience suite on top as a skin or loader.

As for BlackBerry being sold to an Asian company there are rules in place for foreign ownership of Canadian companies in place as well as government security issues in US and Canada and heck even NATO that would block any sale.

Loving my Passport!
    06-12-15 02:47 PM
    It could be that Sammy is going bb10/qnx based android

Posted via CB10
    This would be our best hope. Especially with BB expecting to hand off the hardware duties. As long as BB stays in control of the software and design of hardware i would be cool with this setup.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-12-15 02:56 PM
    Ever notice the pattern of rumors that come out during the REQUIRED quiet period.

1. Take over bid. Who was it this month Microsoft?
    2. Change in the handset business. This month we are making handsets with Android. Last month we where exiting handsets...

Its really annoying that these rumors gather steam. They should just gather moss.
    The thing with the Android Rumor... is it makes sense as a solution to the App Gap. Enterprise wants apps, but they aren't going to install Cobalt's hack to get them.

And this has LONG been talked about here on CrackBerry. Even before the PlayBook was released, many taught that Android would have been a smarter move for BlackBerry over starting from scratch.... and that was back when it was taught the "OS" was going to be ready later that same year - not the two years later that it took (and it was still unfinished).

Besides... what else is there to talk about?
    06-12-15 02:56 PM
    To be honest I just like BB10. That's why I have a blackberry. The OS gives me exactly what I need. Yes there is an app gap. But I'm willing to live with that. I had an android phone and an iPhone but I kept going back to my BlackBerry. For me it's really all about the OS.

So I wouldn't buy an android blackberry.

Posted with my PassPort
    rlnv likes this.
    06-12-15 03:01 PM
    Most likely not fake. Reuters actually went to BlackBerry and Google. If the news was false, there would be outright denial and that's the end of that. Instead, you got the PR response which I quote here from the Reuters article.

"We don't comment on rumors and speculation, but we remain committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which provides security and productivity benefits that are unmatched," said the company in an email.

A Google spokeswoman declined to comment.
    Get ready for an about-face. As long as the BlackBerry experience comes and BlackBerry does the job of securing the devices, I could care less. BlackBerry 10 is all but dead anyway.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    06-12-15 03:14 PM
    It's coming.
    RIP BB10
    2012-2015
    Pfft...

ρō┬Єđ bұ mұ Ů ρÚρōЯ┬.
    06-12-15 03:15 PM
    I think the really bad news is that this sets a precedent. Development of alternative OSs will stop because it's clear there is no way to survive without apps. I think even Samsung will eventually realize Tizen cannot become their primary OS without an ecosystem to back it up.
    06-12-15 03:25 PM
551 ... 56789 ...