07-23-15 06:38 AM
551 ... 45678 ...
tools
    It would be possible, but that is not the point of going Android. The point is having access to Google Play store. Besides the requirements for OHA membership, the OS must also pass a whole suit of tests to show that it is fully Android compatible. Messing with Android core components (notifications, pop-up windows etc) will most likely result in failure of said tests.
    Exactly, and exactly why I'm not expecting the best of BB10-ness to carry over as as skin and/or Launcher. I assume it's still going to have the Back/Home/Tasks buttons behaviors, No Active Frames, no swiping into the Hub, no BB10 multitasking (though android "services" are close), etc. At least not if they want access to the Play Store.
    06-12-15 11:44 AM
    Chen says that only BB10 devices on BES can be secure. The plan could be BB10 PKB and all touch devices for Enterprise and online consumers (no run time) and PKB Android devices to consumers via carriers.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 11:48 AM
    Exactly, and exactly why I'm not expecting the best of BB10-ness to carry over as as skin and/or Launcher. I assume it's still going to have the Back/Home/Tasks buttons behaviors, No Active Frames, no swiping into the Hub, no BB10 multitasking (though android "services" are close), etc. At least not if they want access to the Play Store.
    Skinning and providing *alternatives* to google services isn't a problem but there are certain non-negotiable - that off the top of my head include:

* the placement of GAPPS - they have to appear on the device on first load where google tell you they are
    * Information about users
    * Google search (I think that includes having a google search widget on homepage but that might have changed)
    * You MUST include Google Chrome, Google Maps, Google Drive, YouTube, Gmail, Google+, Google Play Music, Google Play Movies, Google Play Books, Google Play Newsstand, Google Play Games, Photos
    * OK Google hotword must be used
    * specific sweep actions to invoke google search

There are many more..
    Superfly_FR and katesbb like this.
    06-12-15 11:53 AM
    Attachment 357129

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2204 | CB Mod
    Nice! Link to image? Haha

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    06-12-15 12:03 PM
    Google Android has repeatedly been shown to be a security nightmare because it leaks information like a sieve with very large holes. If BlackBerry makes Google Android the operating system of its new BlackBerry smartphones I foresee BlackBerry becoming a 100% services company which means it will fail. The die-hard BlackBerry users will not forgive the company for such an egregious transgression and betrayal. We stuck with BlackBerry only to be repeated abused liked a spouse in a dysfunctional relationship.
    Since the BlackBerry device sale numbers haven't been that stellar recently, one could argue that the die-hard BlackBerry users are not a big enough force to matter much to the survival of BlackBerry!

And, talking about security, regardless of how much more secure BlackBerry really is, the consumer market does not seem to care as much about security as we BB fans might think!
    jmr1015 likes this.
    06-12-15 12:08 PM
    Skinning and providing *alternatives* to google services isn't a problem but there are certain non-negotiable - that off the top of my head include...
    Which BB10 features would you think might be possible to create while remaining within Google's rules?
    06-12-15 12:12 PM
    I specifically chose BlackBerry 10 NOT to use Google services.

If BlackBerry starts using Android, I will have to reluctantly move to Windows Phone.

Posted via CB10
    Don't confuse Android with Google Play Services. They're two different things.

e.g. Amazon Fire is an Android phone with NO Google Play Services.
    southlander likes this.
    06-12-15 12:12 PM
    Bass on what I've seen from the pic of slider from MWC, slider (as far as we know it) won't run Android or even if it did it would be a highly customized version of BlackBerry's fork android to give the same UI (UX). Because as shown in the picture the slider was lacking the home button (Hardware button or/and software-touch button). So as far as what we know and have seen, Slider will most likely have BB10 or -if Android- a highly customized one like that of chinese makers (EX. Meizu, Oppo)

 1 of the 40,000 korean BlackBerry user  3-10-Slider 
    Sorry many have said that didn't appear to be an operational device, and that the image on the screen was a static "picture". Maybe it did work, but they needed to hide what was on the screen??

While it is possible to have a customized UI that could be very BlackBerry. It won't be a "forked" version of Android or like the non-Google approved version that some Chinese markers are pushing out. The whole purpose of going Android at this point would be for Google Play access, which means a Google approved OHA device.

In two week I expect Chen will have to answer a number of questions from Investors that will clear things up a little.
    06-12-15 12:16 PM
    Which BB10 features would you think might be possible to create while remaining within Google's rules?
    From what I understand - they can recreate most if not all of them but you cannot *exclude* the google version from your device - so you can include your hub but it cannot (for example) for example use a gesture that would replace the gesture for invoking google now and so on. So you could include your own calendar (most OEMs do) but you could not ship without the google version and so on.
    06-12-15 12:29 PM
    Man!!! F**** hate this two big a**h****(iOS, Android)!!! They killed WebOS/Palm, now they are killing BlackBerry OS/BB! So sad!

PP SQW100-1/ OS 10.3.2.798
    06-12-15 12:32 PM
    06-12-15 12:45 PM
    New theory (that is really old). Shorts are plumping up the stock before the 27th. Feed reuters a 'scoop', they run it and ever news outlet regurgitates it.
    06-12-15 12:47 PM
    Don't confuse Android with Google Play Services. They're two different things.

Ce.g. Amazon Fire is an Android phone with NO Google Play Services.
    Android an Google WE'RE 2 different things... in the past...Google owns Android.

The Amazon Fire is probably a Cynagon mod version of Android.... the only "Google free" Android.

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-12-15 12:48 PM
    New theory (that is really old). Shorts are plumping up the stock before the 27th. Feed reuters a 'scoop', they run it and ever news outlet regurgitates it.
    and how would this news pump up the stock? Most BB10 users don't want a BLandroid device and I'm certain that it won't have any appeal to the current Ios or Droid crowd either. If anything I would think this news would tank the stock and yet it is up today.

Stock price : BB (TSE) $11.47 +0.17 (+1.50%)
    Jun 12, 12:37 PM EDT - Disclaimer
    06-12-15 12:53 PM
    Android an Google WE'RE 2 different things... in the past...Google owns Android.

The Amazon Fire is probably a Cynagon mod version of Android.... the only "Google free" Android.

No the Amazon fire(sale) phone uses an in-house fork which is called Fire OS and is the same one as used by the tablets - cyanogenmod have no involvement.

Anyway given the Fire phone was a bomb not sure it's the model you'd want to copy...

Cannot see how this would pump the stock - virtually nobody makes money from android...
    passport1 likes this.
    06-12-15 12:56 PM
    There has to be some low level developers here that can answer the question if Android and its core components can be deployed in some sort of sublayer of BB10? From runtime implementation we can see that BB10 can communicate with runtime quite well, perfect example is the share screen options you get from Android apps that offer BB10 native sharing.
    Next move would a complete or almost complete merger of the two in areas where they need to communicate and share components. In other words can we see BB10 create tabs in HUB or Folder Manager for Android applications such as SugarSync or Skype by recognizing their structure. Maybe BB10 can takeover all Android system menus, notifications and popup windows and compile them or mirror them natively including UI reskining and behavior. I think this is the direction where BlackBerry is going but how deep they go can only be told by developers who understand how these things work.

We know Miscrosoft is on it or at least to extent by compiling apps from different frameworks into native Win10 environment.
    Mixing and matching different OS components would be a very very costly affair.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-12-15 12:57 PM
    My sentiments exactly.

Posted via CB10
    Same here, would probably to iOS.

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    06-12-15 12:58 PM

No, Amazon uses its own forked Android version called FireOS now based on KitKat.
    06-12-15 12:59 PM
    Story on yahoo ( from Forbes ) claims the slider will be powered by Android .
    06-12-15 01:07 PM
    Story on yahoo ( from Forbes ) claims the slider will be powered by Android .
    I think the rumour mill is a bit of a sh*tshow right now. I would say wait for the FQ1 2016 meeting for any proper announcements than to follow any wild speculation going on.
    06-12-15 01:09 PM
    Man!!! F**** hate this two big a**h****(iOS, Android)!!! They killed WebOS/Palm, now they are killing BlackBerry OS/BB! So sad!

PP SQW100-1/ OS 10.3.2.798
    Even the best pilot can't recover from a stall if they let it go too long. So, don't hate the players, hate the game. Each company had their chance to shine and failed to adapt to the changing market. You need to directing that hate to the poor management at both companies who eventually had good OSes (WebOS and BB10), but introduced them too late to reverse the slide.
    Shlooky likes this.
    06-12-15 01:11 PM
    and how would this news pump up the stock? Most BB10 users don't want a BLandroid device and I'm certain that it won't have any appeal to the current Ios or Droid crowd either. If anything I would think this news would tank the stock and yet it is up today.

Stock price : BB (TSE) $11.47 +0.17 (+1.50%)
    Jun 12, 12:37 PM EDT - Disclaimer
    Most of the street already has written off BB. I read an EMM article and you know, never was BB mentioned. EVER. Its to the point where BB doesn't exist or is shunned. It's weird. So anyway, going with Android would fit in with what other Armchair CEO analysts believe the right play was all along. Stroking their egos. There has been one original article from reuters. That's it. I call it suspect for motivation at the very least.

And honestly, why would they give up there QNX based OS? That in itself would be corporate suicide. All your QNX business would dry up or at the very least be harder to land deals. Stop making handsets and selling the best of your BB Apps (in app stores) would make more sense.
    06-12-15 01:15 PM
    My assumption is if this rumour turns out to be true you are going to see BlackBerry split in terms of business production phones which will retain the BlackBerry 10 OS, while consumer grade phones will be running the Android OS. This is of course a giant leap of faith considering that hardware architecture plays a role in how the OS functions, but with rumours swirling that the slider will be using a lot of Samsung hardware, I can see how this might ease that transition if true.

That all being said (and theorized) I really do hope this is just merely a rumour. I chose BlackBerry for a reason and have steered clear of Android. While one can debate until the cows come home the merit of this, I really have grown accustomed to the efficient nature of BB10 and what is has to offer.
    06-12-15 01:17 PM
    Java was the primary reason the pre-BlackBerry OS 10 devices were slow and required frequent battery pulls. The Dalvik VM is suicide.
    Well first, Dalvik was succeeded by ART (Android Runtime). Second, there's actually also an NDK (Native Development Kit) using C/C++ for intensive apps such as games.

Java was implemented to increase platform compatibility and bring in more student/low-level programmers; but, Android is not actually wholly reliant on Java.

Google's strategy worked rather well. My view is that Google Play has more apps than the iPhone AppStore not because Android is more popular but because it uses Java whereas iOS apps require knowledge of objective-C.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 06-12-15 at 01:33 PM.
    southlander likes this.
    06-12-15 01:19 PM
    This news is great and judging by the unhappiness of the BlackBerry can't do anything right crowd I think more then ever this is great for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 01:21 PM
551 ... 45678 ...