07-23-15 05:38 AM
551 ... 34567 ...
tools
    There has to be some low level developers here that can answer the question if Android and its core components can be deployed in some sort of sublayer of BB10? From runtime implementation we can see that BB10 can communicate with runtime quite well, perfect example is the share screen options you get from Android apps that offer BB10 native sharing.
    Next move would a complete or almost complete merger of the two in areas where they need to communicate and share components. In other words can we see BB10 create tabs in HUB or Folder Manager for Android applications such as SugarSync or Skype by recognizing their structure. Maybe BB10 can takeover all Android system menus, notifications and popup windows and compile them or mirror them natively including UI reskining and behavior. I think this is the direction where BlackBerry is going but how deep they go can only be told by developers who understand how these things work.

We know Miscrosoft is on it or at least to extent by compiling apps from different frameworks into native Win10 environment.
    06-12-15 09:34 AM
    Great, in this thread and the others we can see the famous superiority of BB10 is only a legend.
    Give me Hub, Blend, Gesture and we are ok.

So where is the superiority of BB10? Security? Ah do you talk about security and want Google Services and Play Store? And maybe you want also the privacy. Yeah.

Maybe BB10 is dead because the fault of BlackBerry, but is dead because also of YOU. If this become reality, soon we can have another option removed from the liberty of chosen and more confirmation for duopoly.

Everyone here talk about privacy and security, but are in the first line to selling for having more apps. No credibility really.
    06-12-15 09:37 AM
    Must be a slow news cycle. Don't we get this rumor ever year or so?
    06-12-15 09:40 AM
    No, it will only require the death of the Android runtime. BlackBerry can keep making all-native BB10 phones as well as Android ones.

I do wonder whether the Hub can be shoehorned into Android though.
    And what would BB10 be without the runtime??
    Pulkist likes this.
    06-12-15 09:56 AM
    There's a lot of desperation around here with the idea of somehow keeping BB10 in the BLAndroid slider from dual boot to skinning to runtime. There's no practical reason to keep BB10 around once you have adopted Android because there aren't that many users who are enamored of BB10. There is functionality like the hub that can be developed as an Android app but the OS will probably look work like Android rather than putting a ton of work and time they don't have into making it look like the BB10 that few people ever used.
    06-12-15 09:59 AM
    There has to be some low level developers here that can answer the question if Android and its core components can be deployed in some sort of sublayer of BB10? From runtime implementation we can see that BB10 can communicate with runtime quite well, perfect example is the share screen options you get from Android apps that offer BB10 native sharing.
    Next move would a complete or almost complete merger of the two in areas where they need to communicate and share components. In other words can we see BB10 create tabs in HUB or Folder Manager for Android applications such as SugarSync or Skype by recognizing their structure. Maybe BB10 can takeover all Android system menus, notifications and popup windows and compile them or mirror them natively including UI reskining and behavior. I think this is the direction where BlackBerry is going but how deep they go can only be told by developers who understand how these things work.

We know Miscrosoft is on it or at least to extent by compiling apps from different frameworks into native Win10 environment.
    It would be possible, but that is not the point of going Android. The point is having access to Google Play store. Besides the requirements for OHA membership, the OS must also pass a whole suit of tests to show that it is fully Android compatible. Messing with Android core components (notifications, pop-up windows etc) will most likely result in failure of said tests.
    06-12-15 10:07 AM
    If this happens, I won't ever use BlackBerry! I just looovvvee BB OS. Why would someone pick BB if its running Android? There are plethora of awesome phones with great hardware(HTC) !
    georg4BB likes this.
    06-12-15 10:08 AM
    There is no reason to think that Blackberry can survive in the Android world. How is it even going to compete with the likes of LG? Who is going to buy this Blackberry hype?
    06-12-15 10:08 AM
    Honestly cant care less if it runs qnx or android in the background as long as I have BB10 interface with top notch all touch screen and more application choices. But I can see that every single thing I'd try to do would be prompted with what would like to open it with. That would be really irritating...
    06-12-15 10:10 AM
    That would be the day i will leave BB forever.
    06-12-15 10:12 AM
    My guess is if BlackBerry goes Android, it will apply some of BB's security strengths in the package. So, business customers who were leary of Android may rethink their position. I think it will provide more opportunities for BB than limiting it. Don't forget, BB does not seem to be winning a lot of high profile business customers these days!
    Google Android has repeatedly been shown to be a security nightmare because it leaks information like a sieve with very large holes. If BlackBerry makes Google Android the operating system of its new BlackBerry smartphones I foresee BlackBerry becoming a 100% services company which means it will fail. The die-hard BlackBerry users will not forgive the company for such an egregious transgression and betrayal. We stuck with BlackBerry only to be repeated abused liked a spouse in a dysfunctional relationship.
    ArcPlug and georg4BB like this.
    06-12-15 10:14 AM
    I'm done if they do. Was willing to get the slider though all I wanted was a new high end all touch.

This I don't want I have my Sony if I wanted android.

If they do go android I go iPhone or windows when my two current phones both die.

Posted via CB10
    I will pick the iPhone first then Windows.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    06-12-15 10:15 AM

Android is not the security nightmare it was years ago. Many Android phones that are built with security in mind resist all attempts at rooting unlocking of bootloaders.

Posted via CB10
    You mean like Blackphone? Didn't that get rooted in like 5 minutes?

Android was built for one reason only, the same reason it's free. It is a huge revenue source for Google because they can tap into it and take all your data and sell it. And now Google is making a push at enterprise. Which begs the question, what's in it for them? Enterprise phones are supposed to be locked down, so it should be impossible for Google to get any data off them. So then why do they care about getting into enterprise? There is seemingly no source of revenue for them there. My guess is because it's impossible to secure completely, it was never meant to be.

I don't care if it's android secured by BlackBerry. It's still not secure. If this is the way BlackBerry is going, I will likely be moving on. I have no desire to have Google all over my personal business.

Posted via CB10
    rlnv and KingOfQwerty like this.
    06-12-15 10:16 AM
    The only way I see BlackBerry phones using Android is they take AOSP and building it from ground up. Think current BB10 but instead of the QNX core, use AOSP and Dalvik VM in place of that.
    Java was the primary reason the pre-BlackBerry OS 10 devices were slow and required frequent battery pulls. The Dalvik VM is suicide.
    06-12-15 10:19 AM
    I specifically chose BlackBerry 10 NOT to use Google services.

If BlackBerry starts using Android, I will have to reluctantly move to Windows Phone.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB, sonicpix, rlnv and 2 others like this.
    06-12-15 10:23 AM
    Java was the primary reason the pre-BlackBerry OS 10 devices were slow and required frequent battery pulls. The Dalvik VM is suicide.
    Plus no carrier (AFAIK) provides AOSP devices - it would never get into stores.
    06-12-15 10:24 AM
    I'm getting so tired of this conversation. Please BB, just go Android so we can end the speculation. Make it look and behave like BB10. Give us the hub, etc, and we can all be happy.
    officially_juju likes this.
    06-12-15 10:28 AM
    Disaster... and really encouraging to the few left developers of bb10 apps. Was it so hard for Chen to put a money to bring few 'most wanted' apps to BlackBerry world,and to make phones that are actually upgrade to previous bb10(except hideous Passport that a few folks like,and yes few folks ,comparing to the all BlackBerry users)

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 10:30 AM
    And what would BB10 be without the runtime??
    No different for me. I don't use any android apps.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB likes this.
    06-12-15 10:30 AM
    Agree with most of the people here. I wish Chen had encouraged developers to build native apps for BB 10!
    dblekberi likes this.
    06-12-15 10:33 AM
    06-12-15 10:34 AM
    I specifically chose BlackBerry 10 NOT to use Google services.

If BlackBerry starts using Android, I will have to reluctantly move to Windows Phone.

Posted via CB10
    My sentiments exactly.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 10:35 AM
    No different for me. I don't use any android apps.

Posted via CB10
    Yes and there are people that are happy owning dumb phones.... I think you are "niche" within and already unsustainable "niche".

Not saying there aren't those that would be happy with a BB10 device that could only run native apps. I've often wondered about the boost in performance that would provide (if only). But I don't think there is a market large enough to support such a products continued development..
    06-12-15 10:38 AM
    Bass on what I've seen from the pic of slider from MWC, slider (as far as we know it) won't run Android or even if it did it would be a highly customized version of BlackBerry's fork android to give the same UI (UX). Because as shown in the picture the slider was lacking the home button (Hardware button or/and software-touch button). So as far as what we know and have seen, Slider will most likely have BB10 or -if Android- a highly customized one like that of chinese makers (EX. Meizu, Oppo)

 1 of the 40,000 korean BlackBerry user  3-10-Slider 
    06-12-15 10:43 AM
    You mean like Blackphone? Didn't that get rooted in like 5 minutes?

Android was built for one reason only, the same reason it's free. It is a huge revenue source for Google because they can tap into it and take all your data and sell it. And now Google is making a push at enterprise. Which begs the question, what's in it for them? Enterprise phones are supposed to be locked down, so it should be impossible for Google to get any data off them. So then why do they care about getting into enterprise? There is seemingly no source of revenue for them there. My guess is because it's impossible to secure completely, it was never meant to be.

I don't care if it's android secured by BlackBerry. It's still not secure. If this is the way BlackBerry is going, I will likely be moving on. I have no desire to have Google all over my personal business.

Posted via CB10
    Sadly the reality is the majority of consumers don't give a flying fig about their personal data being secure, most even knowingly sign off on having their data mined to garner services. Just look at the app landscape out there, its dominated by free and freemium apps. Google is after the enterprise sector because they already have a lock on the consumer market a lot of money can be made selling business oriented apps and cloud solutions.
    06-12-15 10:44 AM
551 ... 34567 ...