07-23-15 05:38 AM
551 ... 23456 ...
tools
    At this point I think Mr.Chen has to go with plan C to bring BB back to profitability if it means trying Android OS lets see where it takes them .Truth is BB10 no matter how much We like it has not resulted in bringing them back my only fear is it sounds so much like what Nokia tried and failed to do . Lets all hope Mr Chen can pull this off and people will accept it with high sales and we will still be on this forum in years to come .
    06-12-15 07:54 AM
    It's coming.
    RIP BB10
    2012-2015
    Bout time! BB10 should have been aborted. Just think of where BlackBerry could be today had they went from OS7 directly to a skinned version of Android.

That was still before Samsung dominated Android and back when BlackBerry still had a decent size of the market. BlackBerry could have been a huge deal in the Android market today had they skipped the last few years of throwing money down their bottomless pit that is BB10.
    asherN, Shlooky and techvisor like this.
    06-12-15 07:55 AM
    Bout time! BB10 should have been aborted. Just think of where BlackBerry could be today had they went from OS7 directly to a skinned version of Android.

That was still before Samsung dominated Android and back when BlackBerry still had a decent size of the market. BlackBerry could have been a huge deal in the Android market today had they skipped the last few years of throwing money down their bottomless pit that is BB10.
    The past is the past. Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda. It doesn't matter anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Witmen and rlnv like this.
    06-12-15 08:04 AM
    BlackBerry on Android.... that's just another one in the big pond of other manufacturers... maybe they get now 2% instead of 1%... big deal. I think eventually when they go Android.... it's the end of the BlackBerry mobile devision.

Just let them do where they are good at... BB10 devices.

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-12-15 08:09 AM
    I'm betting at most it's a dual OS install option. When you a phone you have an option for OS.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 08:12 AM
    When is doubling your market share a bad thing?

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 08:13 AM
    The past is the past. Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda. It doesn't matter anymore.

Posted via CB10
    You are correct of course! It's still a shame though.
    06-12-15 08:15 AM
    I think earlier,Chen had showcased how he will package BB10 features like Hub etc to iOS and Android. This news, rather rumor completely contradicts that.
    Then what about OHA?

Hoping it is just shorts creating fuss
    The OHA will require the death of BB10. But features like the HUB would just be apps and would fit into what Chen has been saying about the BlackBerry Experience. It's only the Runtime that is a problem for the OHA, and BlackBerry isn't going to include that in the crossplatfrom Experience.

And I don't think this would be shorts creating a fuss.... BlackBerry fans might not like this idea, but investors might see it as a very positive move to reduce cost and make BlackBerry's more functional. Heck even Bla1ze has mentioned there is something going on...
    06-12-15 08:16 AM
    I doubt Amazon really cares. There's no commitment between the two companies. BBRY basically asked Amazon if they could pre-install the Amazon Appstore app on BB10 devices, and Amazon basically just said "Yeah, sure." because it required little to zero effort on Amazon's part. It's not like Amazon wasted any recognizable resources on it. Besides which, if BB did go Android, those devices would still be able to pre-load and use the Amazon app store. There's no real downside for Amazon.
    I'm just saying that when BB was in a bind ,Amazon came to the rescue,I think they make money off of Apps they sell on BB10,and loyality is always a good thing,if Google Play Store is available who would buy anything from Amazon,lol
    06-12-15 08:22 AM
    Most Amazon apps don't even work on BB10. Some partner.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 08:24 AM
    Chen loves partnerships. What if it's a Samsung branded Android slider with touch capactive pkb, actions/shortcuts, the Hub, etc? And what if he keeps BB10 alive as a super secure option (when used with BES12 / Secusmart) for mainly an enterprise / government play for sectors that require that level of security? It puts BB10 on life support, but alive, while he concentrates on software and services.

I love my Passport, and BB10, and could happily live without the runtime and continue to use it as my daily driver. And I'd also be tempted by a touch capactive pkb Android slider from Samsung with the BlackBerry experience and full unfettered access to Android.

Why not both? The idea of Chen dropping serious coin on skinning BB10 to Android seems unlikely considering how overcrowded the market has already become. With the likes of One Plus, Moto, et al offering high spec'd cheap devices I don't see him going that route. But a partnership that could benefit both parties? Oh yeah, I could totally seem him trying that out. And I could see Samsung being willing to give it a shot as well to differentiate themselves in yet another way.
    Agree or disagree, I could see it happening.....as a sign of the times.
    JMHO. Only if Samsung can utilize the partnership to go hard after Apple. Gets rid of their security issues or at least minimizes them, access to the infamous Qwerty keyboard for potential hybrid devices with a lot more that BlackBerry has to offer- especially QNX.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-12-15 08:25 AM
    I'm done if they do. Was willing to get the slider though all I wanted was a new high end all touch.

This I don't want I have my Sony if I wanted android.

If they do go android I go iPhone or windows when my two current phones both die.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 08:28 AM
    I actually think this could work.
    right now we have "android runtime" maybe the solution for BlackBerry is to run Android and have "BlackBerry runtime" and native feel?
    keep the swipe gestures, hub, balance... thats about it. and instead of running APKs in the runtime, it'll run BARs..

Chen may be on to something...
    BoldBigWorm likes this.
    06-12-15 08:31 AM
    Welcome to the "Quiet Period" when Chen and the board are committed to silence because of next E.R.

You can rewind history for the past 3 years and enjoy every single quarter "insiders told me" stories a few weeks/days prior the E.R. Next one is 23rd (BlackBerry to announce First Quarter Fiscal 2016 results on June 23 | CrackBerry.com) so grab popcorn and beers, as well as the largest salt shaker you own.
    06-12-15 08:32 AM
    I'm just saying that when BB was in a bind ,Amazon came to the rescue,I think they make money off of Apps they sell on BB10,and loyality is always a good thing,if Google Play Store is available who would buy anything from Amazon,lol
    Amazon didn't actually do anything that could be considered coming to the rescue. BB10 users were already able to install the Amazon Appstore before BB started pre-installing it. Amazon didn't build a version of their Appstore just for BB10 users. It's the same app that any Android user installs on their devices.
    06-12-15 08:34 AM
    It will be the slider. With all the Hub etc. goodness. I hope it's complete, smooth and ready.
    Launch execution being top notch is a must. The U. S. must be included in the initial launch.
    Good, targeted and valid marketing a must.

Via my HTC One M9...
    06-12-15 08:35 AM
    May be blackberry is planning to run BBOS apps on a Android VM or something like that

Creating a very successful smartphone has become an art, rather than a managerial function that juggles around options to survive.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 08:42 AM
    The new Rimberry Blandroid

That ought to take the tech world by storm.
    early2bed likes this.
    06-12-15 08:47 AM
    Some comments here are really fun. Why? They talk about security but want the Google Services.
    BlackBerry is in the first line for security and privacy and now they are going to an Android with Google Services?
    Has you forgot the privacy for Google is "optional" ?!

Everyday here users suggest to install Google Play with Google Services, is like to invite a Christian in the Hell.

You had chosen BlackBerry for security and privacy, now is expendable for getting most apps? Isn't hypocrite this?

If BlackBerry choose Android and come with Google Services and Play Store they losing all credibility in the battle of privacy and also most care for media and users, has losing all credibility about the superiority of BB10.

But you can say BlackBerry can use a fork of Android without the Google Services, and what is the sense of this move? Why don't stay with the current runtime and make it better, more secure etc.?

Some of you, see this move like a good thing. Reflect, because BlackBerry if do that, has lost all credibility and can't compete in Android Market. The tale that BlackBerry can make Android more secure with Google Services & Play Store is an idiocy.
    And a fork without Google Services that required another store, another investment in development tools etc. Is a crazy move.
    06-12-15 08:48 AM
    As long as it has hub, gestures, looks exactly like BB10, and is as smooth as BB10 (I HATE how laggy, glitchy android is when scrolling etc..), I'll buy it. That might be a longshot though.
    06-12-15 08:58 AM
    Having a Samsung made slider device with BlackBerry experience suite apps OR a BB10 skin is the absolute best course for BlackBerry. They are not putting all their eggs in one basket like they are with BB10 and they aren't putting all their eggs in one basket if they were to go full Google certified Android. They will lose if they go either way. Releasing a Samsung Berry means that Samsung and BBRY can still adhere to the rules of the OHA. BlackBerry then gives their fans more options instead of less. Nobody loses. I like that. I can support that. I am a fan of more options for the consumer not less.

Posted via CB10
    chuckwalla and leejayh like this.
    06-12-15 09:00 AM
    You can't make the runtime better apps need google services point blank all apps pretty soon are moving in this direction run time on blackberry will be useless
    06-12-15 09:06 AM
    Welcome to the "Quiet Period" when Chen and the board are committed to silence because of next E.R.

You can rewind history for the past 3 years and enjoy every single quarter "insiders told me" stories a few weeks/days prior the E.R. Next one is 23rd (BlackBerry to announce First Quarter Fiscal 2016 results on June 23 | CrackBerry.com) so grab popcorn and beers, as well as the largest salt shaker you own.
    This. Even if someone made this idea up, it's not like Blackberry can refute it right now because it's in the quiet period. I'm sure this is going to be asked on the earnings conference call; let's see what gets said then before freaking out.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-12-15 09:15 AM
    Give me the Hub, Blend, gestures, great battery life and zero lag and I won't give a damn what's running underneath.
    06-12-15 09:16 AM
    The OHA will require the death of BB10.
    No, it will only require the death of the Android runtime. BlackBerry can keep making all-native BB10 phones as well as Android ones.

I do wonder whether the Hub can be shoehorned into Android though.
    06-12-15 09:27 AM
551 ... 23456 ...