07-23-15 05:38 AM
551 12345 ...
tools
    I think earlier,Chen had showcased how he will package BB10 features like Hub etc to iOS and Android. This news, rather rumor completely contradicts that.
    Then what about OHA?

Hoping it is just shorts creating fuss
    06-12-15 03:08 AM
    "BlackBerry is considering equipping an upcoming smartphone with Google Inc.'s Android software for the first time, an acknowledgement that its revamped line of devices has failed to win mass appeal, according to four sources familiar with the matter."

reut.rs/1GB2b5h

Let's hope this is some fake BS.

BlackBerry Z10, the way to go!
    (if true) I get that BB10 maybe didn't win mass appeal. but the android market is also over saturated and I fail to see how BlackBerry could cut a niche in the android world the same way a company like Samsung has....

BB10 is a truly amazing OS and the reason I don't consider android or iOS! (although the android runtime I will admit is great for missing apps) but the OS itself is unbeatable (imo). they should carry on sailing the good ship BB10 through rough waters.... it gets better once it settles!!!

I think going android might just start the whole process all over again!
    06-12-15 03:30 AM
    My thoughts in points:

• The point of the move is the ecosystem of Google and to do, they have to do it right which means Google Play store and therefore Google Play Services
    • In order to get their goodies, Google requires from the manufacturer to not produce devices running a forked version of Android (BB10)
    • BlackBerry is still committed to BB10 so I see that they will have to remove the Android runtime from BB10
    • Anyway the Android runtime is not functioning on the workspace side of BB10 devices attached to BES
    • BlackBerry's plan is still oriented towards business customers, so I imagine they might focus on producing an Android powered phone targeting enterprise users that wants to use Android due to it's rich ecosystem.
    • Consumers are welcome to try Android BlackBerry and enjoy the Android offer of apps. But they are still not BlackBerry's priority.
    • BB10 skin might be applied. But will developers be tempted to update their apps to integrate with the Hub/BlackBerry Launcher? or all notifications will be just poured into "Notification" section of the Hub?
    • A word to business, we are still here to get you covered. You want to use Android because of the so many apps? get our Android (secured) phone. You want to use iOS or other Android than ours? Use our BES solution and we will secure you. You want the ultimate security? get our BB10 devices and hook it with BES

Sad news for us who really love BB10 and see it as unmatched smartphone OS out there. But somehow it makes sense for BlackBerry's plans
    val_lixembeau likes this.
    06-12-15 03:47 AM
    My thoughts in points:

[LIST][*]In order to get their goodies, Google requires from the manufacturer to not produce devices running a forked version of Android (BB10)[*]BlackBerry is still committed to BB10 so I see that they will have to remove the Android runtime from BB10
    And with this move say farewell to BB10. The native development tools hasn't update, no new update for the roadmap, removed the Android Runtime. Who are going to using BB10 and producing app for it?
    No one.

How i already said, BB10 is going to be trashed in the toilet.
    06-12-15 04:08 AM
    My thoughts in points:

• The point of the move is the ecosystem of Google and to do, they have to do it right which means Google Play store and therefore Google Play Services
    • In order to get their goodies, Google requires from the manufacturer to not produce devices running a forked version of Android (BB10)
    • BlackBerry is still committed to BB10 so I see that they will have to remove the Android runtime from BB10
    • Anyway the Android runtime is not functioning on the workspace side of BB10 devices attached to BES
    • BlackBerry's plan is still oriented towards business customers, so I imagine they might focus on producing an Android powered phone targeting enterprise users that wants to use Android due to it's rich ecosystem.
    • Consumers are welcome to try Android BlackBerry and enjoy the Android offer of apps. But they are still not BlackBerry's priority.
    • BB10 skin might be applied. But will developers be tempted to update their apps to integrate with the Hub/BlackBerry Launcher? or all notifications will be just poured into "Notification" section of the Hub?
    • A word to business, we are still here to get you covered. You want to use Android because of the so many apps? get our Android (secured) phone. You want to use iOS or other Android than ours? Use our BES solution and we will secure you. You want the ultimate security? get our BB10 devices and hook it with BES

Sad news for us who really love BB10 and see it as unmatched smartphone OS out there. But somehow it makes sense for BlackBerry's plans
    This is the most optimistic conclusion imo.

I also believe whatever BBRY must be thinking will be in terms of enterprise not consumer.
    Maybe BBRY will join OHA to gain Google's Android OS.
    Will partner with Samsung to produce devices both all touch and PKB (support from BB hardware engineers) including hardware security features.
    BB (OS engineers) will secure Android with software security features as acceptable with enterprises and government agencies.
    BB will license or sell BB10 hots like Hub etc to Google so as to become part of Android OS.
    Google acquires BBM and leverage to compete with Facebook+WhatsApp.
    As it is basically runs Android, app gap doesnot arise.
    BBRY advices/promotes all of its enterprise customers (BES ++ )who are running BBOS and BB10 to switch to this combination.
    So it may be Google (OS) + Samsung (Hardware) + BlackBerry (Security) for Enterprise and Governments to compete with a possible Apple+IBM or Windows+ onslaught.

However, in the end the BBRY consumer will left dry as BB has to drop the current form of BB10 to do this.
    06-12-15 04:30 AM
    Is there a niche for BB in an Android slider phone? Maybe
    Will an Android Slider do better than a BB10 one? For BB loyalist no, buyt maybe for other people yes.

The main point I am trying to make is that relying on just BB loyalist isn't going to cut it anymore. While BB the company is doing better, phone sales have continued to decrease since BB10 launch. They are not bringing in a lot of new customers. Even here on CB you see a lot of people buying multiple BB10 devices.
    06-12-15 05:14 AM
    Big slap in the face to Amazon,getting their App store on BB's was pretty recent and I don't think they can jump ship so soon.Chen can't do this,his reputation is on the line here,jumping from one bed to another is going to have consequences.lol
    06-12-15 05:14 AM
    If BlackBerry builds a full touch with decent specs, full Android, preinstalled BB10-like apps (their email client) and a UI skin that retains features like the HUB, I'd probably consider it next time I renew my contract with my carrier.
    06-12-15 05:53 AM
    I don't have a problem with blackberry developing an android version of their phones as long they keep the BB10 phones and that they don't reduce BB10 to a secondary priority. It's no more strange than Samsung also trying out tizen.

I will never buy the android version though and if blackberry stops producing BB10 phones I will move on to Jolla or something like that.
    06-12-15 05:58 AM
    Time to let John Chen speak what's all about..

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-12-15 05:58 AM
    I currently use a Q10 as a daily driver because of its keyboard, form factor and BB10 UI. I also use a Nexus 5 mainly to get company's emails (they only offer iOS or Android as BYOD), as well as to be able to use a limited number of apps. I would love to be able to have one device that can handle all this in one place. And, I wouldn't be much concerned about the security of this hybrid device since BlackBerry has its hand in it. Overall, if it ever materializes, doesn't sound too bad to me!
    06-12-15 06:13 AM
    Android apps need the back button. Many Android users will also want a familiar UI.

If you're going "Android", users are going to expect all the Android features. When you can't say "OK Google" to activate Google Now like on many OEM's devices, users will complain.
    No it doesn't. Google got rid of the physical buttons a while ago. Back button was replaced with the Back action on the top left corner, that's the design. Burger menu replaced with swiping in from the left.

And other than the dorks wearing Google Glass I've yet seen an actual Android user use "OK Google"... it's the apps ecosystem that matters more, and that's what BB have been trying to tap into with the Android player in BB10 but not so well because it isn't that seamless.
    pendor likes this.
    06-12-15 06:27 AM
    This move makes sense.

BB10 has failed in everything except perhaps in the regulated industries. This is not a reflection of the quality of the OS. It is just a fact. Sales continue to slide.

Android solves solves the apps issue. Let's face it, the Android runtime hasn't worked out the way it was intended. Plus, with more and more apps relying on Google Services, fewer and fewer apps work as time passes.

Android is not the security nightmare it was years ago. Many Android phones that are built with security in mind resist all attempts at rooting unlocking of bootloaders.

BlackBerry is not going to take over the market again, but if it can capture 5% with its security focused Android phones, that would be a huge deal.

I just hope that the UI is just like BB10. BlackBerry needs to be different.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 06:32 AM
    Sh!t Sh!t Sh!t John if you do that I will kill myself :-( No adroid can ever replace rock solid BB10 os ....
    ArcPlug likes this.
    06-12-15 06:43 AM
    Apologies, thanks for clarifying.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 06:54 AM
    This move makes sense.

BB10 has failed in everything except perhaps in the regulated industries. This is not a reflection of the quality of the OS. It is just a fact. Sales continue to slide.

Android solves solves the apps issue. Let's face it, the Android runtime hasn't worked out the way it was intended. Plus, with more and more apps relying on Google Services, fewer and fewer apps work as time passes.

Android is not the security nightmare it was years ago. Many Android phones that are built with security in mind resist all attempts at rooting unlocking of bootloaders.

BlackBerry is not going to take over the market again, but if it can capture 5% with its security focused Android phones, that would be a huge deal.

I just hope that the UI is just like BB10. BlackBerry needs to be different.

Posted via CB10
    I think this will be another one of those "should have done it earlier" decisions. Just a few years ago things like Knox or Android for Work didn't even exist. BlackBerry could have positioned themselves as the premier (or only) way to secure Android.

Sort of like the 'should have rolled out cross platform BBM years before Whatsapp existed.'

Either way, they will face a tough challenge at this point.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat, rai187 and techvisor like this.
    06-12-15 06:59 AM
    I think this will be another one of those "should have done it earlier" decisions. Just a few years ago things like Knox or Android for Work didn't even exist. BlackBerry could have positioned themselves as the premier (or only) way to secure Android.

Sort of like the 'should have rolled out cross platform BBM years before Whatsapp existed.'

Either way, they will face a tough challenge at this point.

Posted via CB10
    What's the alternative if BlackBerry wants to stay in devices?

All it takes is one hit phone any BlackBerry is back in the conversation.

Posted via CB10
    lsf222 likes this.
    06-12-15 07:02 AM
    Get rid of the pkb and i'm buying.
    fishlove73 likes this.
    06-12-15 07:03 AM
    I don't have a problem with blackberry developing an android version of their phones as long they keep the BB10 phones and that they don't reduce BB10 to a secondary priority. It's no more strange than Samsung also trying out tizen.

I will never buy the android version though and if blackberry stops producing BB10 phones I will move on to Jolla or something like that.
    I think Chen will keep BB10 alive, just on a slower development path. I hope so anyway, love it as a daily driver. Hopefully he can do both and make some moola so BlackBerry can hire more people to continue building out the platform, and making cool devices.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 07:20 AM
    It's coming.
    RIP BB10
    2012-2015
    06-12-15 07:24 AM
    This seems silly when you consider how many android phone makers there are and how many of them struggle to make a buck in fact many lose money. If Chen can make ten bucks making bb10 phones he should stay with that imo
    06-12-15 07:30 AM
    Big slap in the face to Amazon,getting their App store on BB's was pretty recent and I don't think they can jump ship so soon.Chen can't do this,his reputation is on the line here,jumping from one bed to another is going to have consequences.lol
    I doubt Amazon really cares. There's no commitment between the two companies. BBRY basically asked Amazon if they could pre-install the Amazon Appstore app on BB10 devices, and Amazon basically just said "Yeah, sure." because it required little to zero effort on Amazon's part. It's not like Amazon wasted any recognizable resources on it. Besides which, if BB did go Android, those devices would still be able to pre-load and use the Amazon app store. There's no real downside for Amazon.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-12-15 07:36 AM
    Most Android phones bring nothing different or new to the table. This is why so many struggle.

BlackBerry has the hub and other things that would set it apart.

Again, the alternative is what exactly?

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 07:37 AM
    Most Android phones bring nothing different or new to the table. This is why so many struggle.

BlackBerry has the hub and other things that would set it apart.

Again, the alternative is what exactly?

Posted via CB10
    Big screen, capacitive keyboard, hub, calendar bb10 ui
    Sure I'll try it.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2204 | CB Mod
    DJM626 likes this.
    06-12-15 07:39 AM
    If this is true, the biggest surprise is not that it is true, but that we haven't seen any leaks of any part of it. You'd imagine such a move would require a considerable effort, with a few people involved,.. something (a screen shot of the hub running on Android?) would have leaked.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-12-15 07:48 AM
551 12345 ...