07-23-15 06:38 AM
551 ... 20212223
tools
    The question is not whether current BlackBerry owners would rather buy a BlackBerry Android then an android. That question is largely irrelevant. Many on here have said they will never buy ANY android, myself included. So if 75% of current BlackBerry users switch over and get the BlackBerry Android, BlackBerry has effectively lost 25% market share over night. The question that needs to be asked is whether current android/iOS/ WP users will buy a BlackBerry Android.

Posted via CB10
    I think the answer is 'yes' for Android users. A huge userbase that wants apps would be open to BlackBerry. And I'd argue that BlackBerry has way more personality and name recognition as a brand than HTC.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. People will think that they've won and brought BlackBerry to their side (android, the mainstream, etc) and be more interested because it will be seen as a personal victory. People protested by talking bad about BlackBerry and not buying BB10 handsets. The protests will see results, and folks will want to try BlackBerry's new Android offering. That and people have nostalgia for BlackBerry and the PKB. I think it will be a success.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 11:05 PM
    Yes, that's the point. I've lost count of the number of people who have said, "If you want Android, why don't you just go buy an Android phone?" But that question misses the point entirely. Those who want Android have already done that. It's not a question of wanting Android; it's a question of wanting BlackBerry to stick around in some form recognizable to us end users. If the only way that can happen is on an Android phone with a BB10 skin, then many of us will take that over a generic Android phone.
    You nailed it ubizmo.
    07-07-15 10:34 PM
    You nailed it ubizmo.
    So it's true... 8-o

If the choice is either BlackBerry dead and buried VS. them making and us buying the Chendroid, then yes, I'd take the Chendroid over Android any day...

( - that's only if it's a black and white choice, I still prefer BB10 by a long shot. Apps I can have on a 'droid tablet or my rarely used iPad mini2)

  Chendroid or not? - That is the question...  
    07-08-15 04:52 AM
    The question that needs to be asked is whether current android/iOS/ WP users will buy a BlackBerry Android.

Posted via CB10
    Don't forget about the millions of people each month who are buying their first smartphone. They are an important slice of the pie too.
    07-08-15 06:22 AM
    Don't forget about the millions of people each month who are buying their first smartphone. They are an important slice of the pie too.
    Yes that's true. In which case it needs to be marketed heavily and come with some very good reasons to buy it, because the de facto choice for new buyers is still iOS or Samsung or a cheap WP if they're on a tight budget.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 07:17 AM
    BlackBerry considering Android for upcoming handset-clue-1-.gif
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    07-08-15 01:00 PM
    Looks like Windows phone isn't doing so hot today either.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-r...tag=CAD1acfa04

Sound familiar?

I'll still be sticking with BlackBerry. Until I cant.

Flying Spaghetti Monster running 10.3.2.840
    07-08-15 01:33 PM
    Looks like Windows phone isn't doing so hot today either.

Microsoft to cut 7,800 jobs, take $7.6B charge as phone woes drag on - CNET

Sound familiar?

I'll still be sticking with BlackBerry. Until I cant.
    It is pretty obvious now the smartphone computing platform is following the trajectory of the PC computing platform. There will only be two mainstream OS with very strong apps and consumer recognition + a distance third OS with some compromise. There will always be a bunch of forgettable niche OSes hanging around for academia research and other application specific usage.
    Chen should really stop sinking money into a lame duck OS with no chance to gain wide market acceptance. Moving forward, joining Android is the only way to sustain the hardware business.
    07-08-15 03:45 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clue (1).gif 
Views:	483 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	361512
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 03:52 PM
    It is pretty obvious now the smartphone computing platform is following the trajectory of the PC computing platform. There will only be two mainstream OS with very strong apps and consumer recognition + a distance third OS with some compromise. There will always be a bunch of forgettable niche OSes hanging around for academia research and other application specific usage.
    Chen should really stop sinking money into a lame duck OS with no chance to gain wide market acceptance. Moving forward, joining Android is the only way to sustain the hardware business.
    It doesn't gain market acceptance because 90% of smartphone users don't give a s#*! About privacy or security....until it's too late. But...as long as the kids are willing to give FlappyBirds all their contact info...yep...only 2 OS's are very popular. My only hope is really really rich people that control 90% of the wealth do like privacy...and therefore a secure device.

07-08-15 05:03 PM
    BlackBerry considering Android for upcoming handset-android-triangle.jpg

Happy not having to look at this or Odin since 2013.

07-08-15 05:17 PM
    It doesn't gain market acceptance because 90% of smartphone users don't give a s#*! About privacy or security....until it's too late. But...as long as the kids are willing to give FlappyBirds all their contact info...yep...only 2 OS's are very popular. My only hope is really really rich people that control 90% of the wealth do like privacy...and therefore a secure device.

... or, 90% of users have something that is good enough.

Can't hitch a hat on the mobile data apocalypse. The "too late" scenario is tough to wait on, especially since folks are not nearly as invested into the silly theory of invulnerable mobile experience as some folks think.
    07-08-15 05:20 PM
    Not really as extreme as a mobile data apocalypse. But I would say a lot are lacking something to be all good with being target marketed and having all their info just out there for the marketing vultures to see. Biometrics and financial info totally scanable. Personally, I don't wait for bad s#*& to happen....so therfore I do not sacrifice all my info for some (imho) really useless apps.

07-08-15 05:36 PM
    Not really as extreme as a mobile data apocalypse. But I would say a lot are lacking something to be all good with being target marketed and having all their info just out there for the marketing vultures to see. Biometrics and financial info totally scanable. Personally, I don't wait for bad s#*& to happen....so therfore I do not sacrifice all my info for some (imho) really useless apps.

Fair, but I would say one needs to use EVERY mobile device on EVERY platform with care. In the end, no company cares more about you than you can.
    07-08-15 06:08 PM
    True that.

07-08-15 06:27 PM
    I think I might settle for this. My favourite BlackBerry 10 features are mostly available on Android, or can be converted (hub,PIM apps). I love being able to minimize the browser or fasttube without it pausing though...

My favorite android features are rooting and tweaking it's a compromised device but could be done right. I also rooted my android phones because I wanted the latest os. If BlackBerry locked down Android and didn't update, I might have to melt their factories.
    07-09-15 07:27 PM
    BlackBerry considering Android for upcoming handset-android-triangle.jpg

The main difference for me was ability to upgrade OS without having to worry about the hard brick. That is not fun, nor is searching XDA developers for a recovery image or fix.

07-09-15 11:41 PM
    The question is not whether current BlackBerry owners would rather buy a BlackBerry Android then an android. That question is largely irrelevant. Many on here have said they will never buy ANY android, myself included. So if 75% of current BlackBerry users switch over and get the BlackBerry Android, BlackBerry has effectively lost 25% market share over night. The question that needs to be asked is whether current android/iOS/ WP users will buy a BlackBerry Android.

Posted via CB10
    No, the question is will going Android sell more phones, make a profit and promote the use of their Enterprise offerings...

The few still using and supporting BB is clearly not enough to sustain them.

Via my HTC One M9...
    07-10-15 12:18 AM
    No, the question is will going Android sell more phones, make a profit and promote the use of their Enterprise offerings...

The few still using and supporting BB is clearly not enough to sustain them.

Via my HTC One M9...
    I don't think switching the OS to Android would magically fix the brand or offer existing companies the security they want. On the consumer end...I'm not sure what it will take, but I will say advertising and Apps are a part of that equation...

07-10-15 11:59 PM
    I don't think switching the OS to Android would magically fix the brand or offer existing companies the security they want....
    Not sure about fixing the brand or more/less security, but I think BB has a better chance of survival with it than without!
    07-11-15 08:28 AM
    Not sure about fixing the brand or more/less security, but I think BB has a better chance of survival with it than without!
    Will be interesting to see if they gain more users than they lose if they switch. I'll leave for iOS as it has the best ecosystem available and will be the most secure option at that point IMHO. If I'm going to switch, I'll switch to the best. I don't see switching to Android as fixing all the non-OS issues that plague the BlackBerry brand. I think it is just another effort to keep it looking like they will stay in hardware while they get the software side built up. Once the software side is ready they will ditch HW all together IMO.

Posted via Z30
    07-11-15 12:08 PM
    Will be interesting to see if they gain more users than they lose if they switch. I'll leave for iOS as it has the best ecosystem available and will be the most secure option at that point IMHO. If I'm going to switch, I'll switch to the best...
    Between iOS or Android, I think I would pick Android. I have tried both, and feel Android has been closer to BB in multi-tasking (I am currently using a Nexus 5 next to my Q10 to be able to get my work emails). But, I hear you about security. That's why I am hoping BB can find a way to make Android more secure for the average consumer (not sure if it's possible, but that's just my hope at this time).
    07-11-15 12:22 PM
    Between iOS or Android, I think I would pick Android. I have tried both, and feel Android has been closer to BB in multi-tasking (I am currently using a Nexus 5 next to my Q10 to be able to get my work emails). But, I hear you about security. That's why I am hoping BB can find a way to make Android more secure for the average consumer (not sure if it's possible, but that's just my hope at this time).
    I think the only way to truly secure Android is with the hypervisor, and using the hypervisor for the encryption and separation, but then it would likely violate the OHA, making the switch to Android useless.

Posted via Z30
    07-11-15 12:57 PM
    This is what Chen said about not ditching hardware when asked. I may be dumb, but I take him at his word on this.

"We make the most secure handset. Everybody, all of our competitors, will give that to us. Governments around the world are still using BlackBerry handsets," said Chen. "The emotional reason is, BlackBerry is iconic to the industry. We started this industry arguably."

On the flipside of that, privacy is pretty much hand in hand with security....so if I had to make a switch it would be either a Sailfish OS or an Android without Google services and pretty much rooted and stripped down. Maybe even a firefox OS. I wouldn't trust privacy in the hands of Google or Apple. Marketing efforts don't exactly coincide with privacy...so any stripped down version with stand alone apps that transfers data just between my device and computer would work via swapping SD cards.

07-12-15 01:49 AM
    I am upgrading in 3 days. I have a Commando, for the waterproofing and toughness. But it has bogged down with crapware I cannot remove or even find. I hate that Google is a full partner in the Obama police state. I have used Apple at work, got my wife a 5c. But while the bloatware isn't quite as bad, and Apple corporate isn't as obnoxious as Google corporate, neither have an ounce of respect for privacy, and have said so.

I did my homework and the z30 is not fully crackable by the scanners the police use to steal data from phones (when they have them in their hands (cellebrite website). I like that they will wipe if someone tries to go after the code too hard. I plan on pairing it with proton mail for better than pgp.

But if a BB runs android, those apps will probably be loaded with ways to get data back to google /NSA/CFPB. Not sure I want that. I would think that people using BB are not just old fogies who remember when they were the only game, but people like me who understand what Snowden showed us.
    fishlove73 likes this.
    07-21-15 09:07 PM
551 ... 20212223