07-23-15 05:38 AM
551 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    This is developing into an unsustainable platform strategy. There are way too many operating systems and hardware types to support with what is undoubtedly shrinking engineering manpower. You have BB10 devices that are slabs, keyboards, trackpads, trackpad/keyboards, and pretty soon a slider. There is supposedly an Android device coming down the pike. Don't forget plenty of legacy BB10 devices that are still being used.

Anyone who is a software developer will tell you that's a nightmare of configurations to develop, test, and maintain.
    Exactly. If they make a single Android device, it signals the end of BB10. Their is no going back, most of their existing customers will bail on BB10, and developers will be done too. BlackBerry stated it's reasons for not going Android before, and nothing has changed on Android to change those reasons. This would be Chen's gateway to his SAAS only plan for BlackBerry.

Posted via Z30
    thymaster likes this.
    06-22-15 09:18 AM
    I like this option, may be a great idea.
    06-22-15 10:41 AM
    I am sure that you get a lot of work done with your Passport, but it definitely never helped in keeping your bias in check.

You are talking to people who had/have a Z30/Passport.

And I don't use Android apps on my BlackBerry. That's why I also have an Android phone.

I won't even bother to answer you seriously.
    Someone who thinks that BlackBerrys market share is mostly a marketing problem and that the app gap isn't real, shouldn't be taken seriously anyhow.
    Your point nr. 4 sadly isn't an argument. It neither makes sense semantically, nor rationally.

I honestly wish you good luck with your irrational love for BlackBerry though. With a bias so strong, I'll find your reaction especially amusing when BlackBerry announces some pure Android phones.
    The thing that amuses me the most though, are BlackBerry users who have Android apps they use to close the app gap, while they are bashing Android.
    The hypocrisy is so hilarious.
    I have no issues with getting Apps on my Passport. I also notice there are a ton of "Apps" for features already built into the OS. My bias is strong for a reason...I ditched my S4 for a Z10 and then a Passport. I was using android since 2.3...and just was fed up with it. So be amused all you wish...I'm just sharing my experience. And after all....its just a phone. There is no hypocrisy in telling the truth.

ρō┬Єđ bұ mұ Ů ρÚρōЯ┬. 10.3.2.840
    06-22-15 08:10 PM
    Hmm. So did BlackBerry not do research from the PlayBook through to BB10 launch that set their direction with BB10? Your logic would dictate they did research on the Passport and Classic, and both appear to be having anemic sales, or they did not start doing research until this Android idea in which case the shareholders should be in Waterloo with pitchforks?!

BlackBerry's research showed that the Z10 should have been the first phone launched, and they clearly planned to go with all touch for flagship devices with the Z30. The problem is they underestimated the specs the competition would bring to the table, were late to market but still released a device when the competition was about ready to change the market expectations, and they put up a for sale sign killing any chance of a resurrection. Chen came in didn't kill of the Passport and developed the Leap and Classic. Chen said the Classic was needed, but where are the sales to justify not bringing out a Z10/Z30 upgrade? The Classic should be selling like crazy right now based on Chen's "research", but I think we would be hearing about it if it were.

Posted via Z30
    The Z10 was the first BB10 device to be released because RIM at the time was after the Apple market the mistake they made was not having an app ecosystem in place and assuming devs would flock back to them to develop one when they released BB10. And that in a nutshell is why to this day BlackBerry will not be able to gain back the market share they once had no matter what device they release, unless they get Google Play approval. No apps = no sales in the consumer market.

Loving my Passport!
    06-22-15 10:00 PM
    Chen sure didn't indicate anything about upcoming handsets....
    06-23-15 10:27 AM
    He will... not today... But in the coming days.

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-23-15 12:20 PM
    He will... not today... But in the coming days.

Posted via my awesome Classic
    Why would be wait a few days?
    06-23-15 01:14 PM
    This reminds me of when Palm tried a Windows Mobile device in the midst of floundering around trying to figure out what to do with the aging Palm OS.
    06-23-15 01:22 PM
    He mentioned a new handset at the end of the year.
    He's mentioned it in an interview as well. And made a point that it would be part of the strategy to make the handset profitable.

He said that if he could make Android secure, the would build and Android BlackBerry. The answer is, "No", they will not build an Android BlackBerry. He apparently can't say "no" to rumors or "yes" to rumors. He had to ask if he could say that the QNX Sync 3 was no longer a rumor.
    06-23-15 01:25 PM
    After this earnings report, I get the feeling that we won't see a Android device from BlackBerry. Instead, we will see BlackBerry exit hardware altogether.

Chen is focused on making hardware profitable and to prove that, he took $200 million from the hardware business and is investing it into services, software and the Iots. Basically, it is like I've been saying for a long time now - Chen tells us he wants to keep hardware around, yet his actions have almost always screamed otherwise.

Everyone at BlackBerry including Chen is smart enough to realize that there is no future with BB10. If BB10 was going to be successful, it would have done so by now. They can put an unwanted OS on as many different form factors as they'd like, but the end result will still be the same. BB10 isn't all of a sudden going to start selling well.

BlackBerry not at least trying a Android device at this point is a clear sign to me that they are done with hardware. They might string the faithful along for a little while longer and try to sell some more of those S4 processors that they have laying around, but for the most - BlackBerry is done in the hardware business. Sad that he cares so little about what made BlackBerry so great.
    06-23-15 02:58 PM
    Why would Blackberry run an inferior OS? Yeah I said it...inferior.
    Palm's WebOS was also superior to both IOS and Android of its time.

And we see what became of them.
    06-23-15 03:16 PM
    After this earnings report, I get the feeling that we won't see a Android device from BlackBerry. Instead, we will see BlackBerry exit hardware altogether.

Chen is focused on making hardware profitable and to prove that, he took $200 million from the hardware business and is investing it into services, software and the Iots. Basically, it is like I've been saying for a long time now - Chen tells us he wants to keep hardware around, yet his actions have almost always screamed otherwise.

Everyone at BlackBerry including Chen is smart enough to realize that there is no future with BB10. If BB10 was going to be successful, it would have done so by now. They can put an unwanted OS on as many different form factors as they'd like, but the end result will still be the same. BB10 isn't all of a sudden going to start selling well.

BlackBerry not at least trying a Android device at this point is a clear sign to me that they are done with hardware. They might string the faithful along for a little while longer and try to sell some more of those S4 processors that they have laying around, but for the most - BlackBerry is done in the hardware business. Sad that he cares so little about what made BlackBerry so great.
    He said he wasn't emotional about hardware... this is just a business.

Watch the video a few times....
    BlackBerry posts loss of 5 cents a share vs. 3 cent loss estimate
    gets worse each time.
    06-23-15 03:28 PM
    Beats me, I don't even understand why there's are so many Android trolls on here either.

Why would anyone buy a BlackBerry running Android over a Samsung?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 01:34 AM
    Maybe John Chen is letting their handset division die a natural death. At the rate they're going (from 1.6M down to 1.1M), they'll have 0 sales within 2-3 quarters.

Posted from an ME173X
    06-24-15 01:53 AM
    Beats me, I don't even understand why there's are so many Android trolls on here either.
    The "android trolls" as you call them are trying to save BlackBerry phones. The current trends puts BlackBerry out of the smartphone business sometime this year.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 04:54 AM
    I think you are being harsh. I think one question would be whether a BlackBerry fan would prefer to go full Android or an Android with some BlackBerry touches (e.g., perhaps the Hub, more security, etc.), if there are no more BB10 devices offered. I, as a BlackBerry fan, would prefer the latter. You can call me a troll if you like!
    06-24-15 05:40 AM
    Be nice to thymaster, all this talk about Android is really upsetting him.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-24-15 08:40 AM
    The "android trolls" as you call them are trying to save BlackBerry phones. The current trends puts BlackBerry out of the smartphone business sometime this year.

Posted via CB10
    They claim to be neutral,offering an unbiased perspective but most reasoning is why blackberry won't survive ...which offers nothing new and is the same song and dance preached for yrs around here....they offer nothing and are just as guilty as the "Blackberry Fanboy".
    This was another positive report...but yet is skewed by Android Fanboys and Paid Apple bloggers....its sickening.

thymaster likes this.
    06-24-15 09:07 AM
    Why isn't the same being said about Nokia....I know they don't sell a crazy amount of devices..why does the report say Hardware is doing better than software and yet people are saying hardware is going to shut down?. Chen is not opposed to building and securing and Android.....so somehow him speaking about building new devices means that hardware is closing? You Android Fanboys need to be on XDA Developers to talk about your wonderful devices.

thymaster likes this.
    06-24-15 09:12 AM
    why does the report say Hardware is doing better than software and yet people are saying hardware is going to shut down?
    They went from selling 1.6 million devices to only selling 1.1 million devices in only a few short months. In the previous quarter, they had the Passport and the Classic available for purchase, yet they still only managed to move 1.1 million units. They sold a half million fewer devices this last quarter than they did during the previous one. If that downward spiral continues, the next quarter earnings report will show 600,000 units sold and the next quarter after that will show them selling 100,000 units. After that....

Uhm, yea that is why people think hardware is going to be shut down.
    06-24-15 10:12 AM
    I don't know what it is with me and failing companies. I tend to be attracted to their stuff, but I'm clearly in the minority.

Bought a Timex Sinclair 2068 back in the day, and it looked to be a great low-price machine I was sure had a sound future. Did the same with my Palm Treo. Did the same with BlackBerry.

Maybe I'm just bad luck, when it comes to being a bellwether for personal electronic devices.

I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro, so watch out Apple!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-24-15 11:20 AM
    There's a difference between constructive criticism and destructive criticism. Most of the pro Android supporters are always putting out destructive messages. CrackBerry mods may not see the difference between the two kinds of comments and the forum rules of open discussion, allows negative comments to pass through.

This reminds me of the time when Heinz was in power and CrackBerry became such a pessimistic place that so many threads got locked, many people stop coming to the site and Kevin took a stepped back. CrackBerry may not realize it but the site has a huge influence in BlackBerry success.

They claim to be neutral,offering an unbiased perspective but most reasoning is why blackberry won't survive ...which offers nothing new and is the same song and dance preached for yrs around here....they offer nothing and are just as guilty as the "Blackberry Fanboy".
    This was another positive report...but yet is skewed by Android Fanboys and Paid Apple bloggers....its sickening.

ρōš┬Єđ bұ mұ Ůš ρššρōЯ┬. 10.3.2.840
    06-24-15 02:22 PM
    I use Android daily now on my G2. And I have a Passport. Along the way I bought 2 Tours, a Curve, 2 Bold 9930's, a Torch 9850, a PlayBook, 2 Z10s, etc...

Been waiting years for BlackBerry to turn the ship. After a while even the most optimistic folks have to see reality.

And I am STILL rooting for them to succeed. But if they ever make big money again in hardware, it won't be phones. The profits are literally being sucked out of phones with the same race to the bottom in hardware that happened in the PC market. And Apple is repeating its role in that respect.
    Last edited by southlander; 06-24-15 at 03:03 PM.
    MarsupilamiX and Coachbulldog like this.
    06-24-15 02:49 PM
    <snip>This reminds me of the time when Heinz was in power and CrackBerry became such a pessimistic place that so many threads got locked, many people stop coming to the site and Kevin took a stepped back. CrackBerry may not realize it but the site has a huge influence in BlackBerry success.
    Ok... you are suggesting that the "trolls" made Kevin go away.
    You also think CrackBerry has a huge influence on BlackBerry's success.
    I have mocked you in the past but that all stops today.
    I wish you well.
    06-24-15 03:24 PM
    What do you mean by this?

And Apple is repeating its role in that respect.
    06-24-15 03:30 PM
551 ... 1718192021 ...