07-23-15 05:38 AM
551 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    BlackBerry 2015 = Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry hardware with Android system software has NO market.

Posted via CB10
    crackfinder likes this.
    06-17-15 06:20 PM
    Why would anyone buy a BlackBerry piece of hardware running Android when there are so many other choices out there...dumb move.

Posted via CB10
    It is an utterly idiotic idea. Is Chen a Samsung trojan horse?

Posted via CB10
    crackfinder likes this.
    06-17-15 06:21 PM
    It was the cover photo on a post on this site. I really think that's just a screenshot open on the device. You really think Android M would be in development for a BlackBerry when it's just been released in preview for 4 devices
    Thank you . . . I did not believe so until I saw the picture (a Passport running Android L ! ?) posted by a software engineer in Italy . . .

https://mobile.twitter.com/WhiteShar...03624919547905

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 07:48 PM
    Why would anyone buy a BlackBerry piece of hardware running Android when there are so many other choices out there...dumb move.
    Blackberry touches (hopefully the Hub, Keyboard, security, ...) plus the apps!
    06-17-15 07:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    It is an utterly idiotic idea. Is Chen a Samsung trojan horse?

Posted via CB10
    You clearly don't have a clue about market demographics. Plenty of people would love to use a PKB again but people refuse to use BBOS or BB10. A killer android phone + PKB = strong attraction for android users who don't like touch screen.

Whats so hard to understand about that??
    Bbnivende, jmr1015, Witmen and 1 others like this.
    06-17-15 09:52 PM
    You clearly don't have a clue about market demographics. Plenty of people would love to use a PKB again but people refuse to use BBOS or BB10. A killer android phone + PKB = strong attraction for android users who don't like touch screen.

Whats so hard to understand about that??
    Where in the world do you get those crazy ideas?

You couldn't be more wrong... and real world market demographics are proving such ideas wrong every day of the week.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    06-17-15 10:16 PM
    Where in the world do you get those crazy ideas?

You couldn't be more wrong... and real world market demographics are proving such ideas wrong every day of the week.

Posted via CB10
    In every news article that's talking about this many android fans are saying they miss the pkb and if blackberry made and Android phone they would actually buy it.

Yes I could be more wrong. There are no good pkb android phones. They could make a killing filling that niche.

People miss the pkb just not the bbos experience.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    06-18-15 01:03 AM
    In every news article that's talking about this many android fans are saying they miss the pkb and if blackberry made and Android phone they would actually buy it.

Yes I could be more wrong. There are no good pkb android phones. They could make a killing filling that niche.

Posted via CB10
    That was tried year and years ago in the US...the Motorola Photon had a PKB and a touch screen with Android...the phone sucked, and the sales sucked. That phone came and went in the "market " like a fart in the wind. The problem is not enough people are willing to spend money and try BB10 and they are already either fully vested in Icloud or Google for managing their information. But 90% of people who actually use bb10 and have been familiar with it...love it PKB or no PKB....the OS is outstanding. It just lack of apps and learning something new people have issues with. Proper Marketing would help also.

℘ℴƽℯđ √ ƽ ℘ƽƽ℘ℴř
    techvisor likes this.
    06-18-15 01:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    That was tried year and years ago in the US...the Motorola Photon had a PKB and a touch screen with Android...the phone sucked, and the sales sucked. That phone came and went in the "market " like a fart in the wind. The problem is not enough people are willing to spend money and try BB10 and they are already either fully vested in Icloud or Google for managing their information. But 90% of people who actually use bb10 and have been familiar with it...love it PKB or no PKB....the OS is outstanding. It just lack of apps and learning something new people have issues with. Proper Marketing would help also.

℘ℴƽ†ℯđ √ ƽ ℘ƽƽ℘ℴř†
    was the phone any good? was the qwerty keyboard as good as a blackberry one? Maybe it failed because it wasn't a very good android phone to begin with. There hasn't been a flagship level android device with a qwerty as of yet right?
    06-18-15 02:05 AM
    was the phone any good? was the qwerty keyboard as good as a blackberry one? Maybe it failed because it wasn't a very good android phone to begin with. There hasn't been a flagship level android device with a qwerty as of yet right?
    The Motorola Photon was it. It was marketed heavily. Motorala at that time 2011-2012 made 2 models of the Photon...one was PKB and the other was not. I have a Blackberry Passport....that keyboard is special because it's a capacitive touch Keyboard and yet is also physical keys. The keyboards prior to this that Blackberry made were the same as any other PKB. PKBs in general were not that popular since 2007-08...after that it was all Bar phones with touch screens and they all looked the same...the only way you could tell them apart was by looking up specs.

Well people that were to lazy to look up specs and just wanted a working smartphone bought Apple. But as far as Android...no matter what Flavor..most wanted touch. It's not so much the PKB or no PKB that's an issue because Blackberry makes both....Z30 =very good device, classic= good device and the Passport which mixes both worlds= good device. It's not the OS that makes or breaks it either...because the OS is just as smooth if not Smoother than IOS. It's about whatsapp, snapchat,facebook,twitter,instagram and pintrest. Most people want those. They want 1 touch transfer of music and files and they want video of and every variety streaming . And most importantly, they want a dummyproof ecosystem managing it for them so they don't have to and are willing to sacrifice every facet of their privacy to get it......hence apple and samsung . Blackberry offers them in one form or another...but it's just tad more effort to get em. Most people don't like any kind of effort...especially the younger gen. They want 1 touch do it for me so I don't have to worry about it type apps!! Just look at how many people use facebook but don't have a clue about adjusting their privacy settings....people are lazy man. But long story short....its been tried with Android several times with "good or flagship " models and most who used droids didn't want the PKB...at least here in the States.

℘ℴƽℯđ √ ƽ ℘ƽƽ℘ℴř
    06-18-15 03:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Saying this is basically admitting there is nothing to a BlackBerry device besides the OS. Build quality? PKB? Possibly unique BB Skin and apps (BB Email) and features (Hub)? Name recognition?

I for one would consider buying a BlackBerry running Android, over a Samsung or HTC.
    06-18-15 04:01 AM
    I think the BlackBerry Experience Suite is a great idea to promote BB 10 to other platform users.
    I can imagine this project alone is already a very big challenge which binds a significant amount of resources.
    I am wary of how BlackBerry porting the Hub in particular to other platforms undermines BB10s most significant and high profile competitive advantage: they could be using BBM a lot more effectively to virally spread the BB10 UX to other platforms, but it wouldn't be cheap.

Talk of BlackBerry adopting Android should always refer to this "suite"... but they couldn't come up with a name whose acronym is something other than "BES"? Those marketing folks at BlackBerry need a whack upside the head.

But a complete Android device?
    Do they have enough resources to develop and maintain Android on a complete new hardware?
    Are they willed to spend money for the marketing?
    For sure some companies and maybe some consumers would buy the device, but probably not in significant numbers.
    Well, the same Android build that runs on HTC hardware should be usable on other Qualcomm SoCs. BlackBerry isn't inventing new chips: BB's hardware isn't all that proprietary in the essentials.

For the time being, I would focus my resources on the Experience Suite for other platforms, BB 10 handsets and a BB 10 tablet.
    I would do the same, but also focus on getting large enterprise-facing apps ported to BB10, for health care and others. BB10 can do anything iOS can do w.r.t. enterprise apps, but developers need confidence in the platform,which is lacking and in fact may have passed a point of no return.

There is still a lots of work to do for BB 10, but it has become a mature and capable OS and it deserves a lot more love (I mean investments) than it currently gets.
    Hear hear.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 04:10 AM
    I absolutely agree with you and actively disagree with the anti-PKB folks... but there are better ways for BlackBerry to earn revenue from bringing their PKB tech to Android devices than actually producing an Android device themselves IMO: license the tech to HTC so HTC can have a differentiator other than 'beautiful powerful hardware with a crappy camera".

I agree that BlackBerry manufacturing Android devices is a novelty that once the market gets over the shock, BlackBerry will sink to the bottom of Android device vendors with the others.
    06-18-15 04:24 AM
    am wary of how BlackBerry porting the Hub in particular to other platforms undermines BB10s most significant and high profile competitive advantage
    There is no evidence it provides a competitive advantage - none - it's *popular* with existing BB users but that's not the same thing.

The real things that provide competitive advantage in mobile going forward are things that BBRY doesn't have the scale, infrastructure or finance to provide or build - (see http://www.wired.com/2015/06/google-...online-empire/). Within three to four years, things like google now and contextual information provision (information automatically provided as you need it or before you think you need it) will have been even more advanced than they are now - and considered table stakes - at that point designing a nice piece of hardware or an 'us too' OS will be neither here nor there.
    06-18-15 04:25 AM
    There is a thread which was started a year ago . . . http://forums.crackberry.com/general...d-work-930226/
    06-18-15 07:12 AM
    What made me give up on Blackberry was the lack of Google Play Services.

I wanted a smartwatch and that forced my hand to Android - yes the Pebble woks with BB10 but you have to mess about and reply on a 3rd party developer, and you could be left with a smartwatch that doesn't work with BB10.

I now have a Sony Z3, SW3, Sonos (which was still not supported when I switched), Nest system and have backed another 3 projects on Kickstarter that need Android or iOS.

But yes, I HATE no, DETEST typing on a touchscreen and so the first chance of a Blackberry with with google play services and the ability to run the apps I need for my gadgets, I will be back to blackberry like a shot

I for one, am really excited about this DroidBerry, I want the hub back and my physical keyboard. I toyed with the idea of switching back a few months ago, but I use my Sony Smartwatch so much I can't live without it now!

My only concern is will the specs disappoint? I hope not and I hope blackberry can get this right
    06-18-15 07:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    I am pretty sure that something between 0.5% to 2% might actually be interested in a PKB.
    The problem is that BlackBerry already has 0.5%.

So, if they can't get every single theoretical keyboard user on board, I am not sure if an Android keyboard phone is such a good idea.
    The numbers I have (working for a market research firm), definitely show that the PKB market is really really small.

We also do not understand why BlackBerry thinks that it is a good idea to go Android PKB now.
    No Android manufacturer ever bothered with such a device since 2011/2012. Which pretty much means that focus groups and other statistical tools must have shown that this market doesn't have a lot of worth in it.
    It's also pretty interesting, because it meant that all of those manufacturers willingly gave the scraps to BlackBerry. They basically gifted BlackBerry some 0.5% marketshare and never tried to get those customers with an Android keyboard phone.

All of these things tell me that there surely is a market for physical keyboards, but at least until now, nobody deemed it as necessary to go after that market.
    It therefore must be incredibly small.

I agree with one thing though:
    The articles are filled with people who say that they miss their keyboard and would switch instantly to a BlackBerry Android Keyboard phone.
    But, they aren't exactly that many either.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-18-15 07:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    A lot of guys on Reddit said they'd buy a Blackberry device with Android.

Photo of Android 5.1 Lollipop Running on the BlackBerry Passport : Android

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...nice_possibly/

Threads regarding BBRY transitioning to Android have garnered moderate interest.

Considering how small the existing BB10 market is, it wouldn't surprise me if Blackberry Android outsold current BB10 devices by quite a bit.
    Witmen likes this.
    06-18-15 08:12 AM
    I absolutely agree with you and actively disagree with the anti-PKB folks... but there are better ways for BlackBerry to earn revenue from bringing their PKB tech to Android devices than actually producing an Android device themselves IMO: license the tech to HTC so HTC can have a differentiator other than 'beautiful powerful hardware with a crappy camera".

I agree that BlackBerry manufacturing Android devices is a novelty that once the market gets over the shock, BlackBerry will sink to the bottom of Android device vendors with the others.
    Anti PKB folks
    It gets better every single time.

Why is it anti-PKB if you're simply stating facts?
    Fact: the vaaaaaaast majority doesn't give a flying eff, when it comes down to keyboard phones.

Doesn't say anything about me being for or against physical keyboards.
    I actually don't even care for them (slider would be cool though).

And no, forget the idea that the physical keyboard is being seen as desirable in the greater scheme of things.
    There is a reason why Android manufacturers did not try to make physical keyboard phones for years:
    The market is too small.

So, if you honestly think that BlackBerry could make money through licencing their keyboard(tech) to Android manufacturers as a main source of income, then you are probably dreaming.
    It must really be hard for some members to understand that the world doesn't care about the physical keyboard anymore.

There are some die hards (I want a slider?), sure, but yesterday I also saw an 70 year old man with a Nokia 6310i in his car who got the old school hands free Nokia equipment.
    I still wouldn't go so far as to tell Nokia that there's still a viable market out there for them.
    Same for the PKB.
    techvisor and Coachbulldog like this.
    06-18-15 08:14 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...nice_possibly/

Threads regarding BBRY transitioning to Android have garnered moderate interest.

Considering how small the existing BB10 market is, it wouldn't surprise me if Blackberry Android outsold current BB10 devices by quite a bit.
    Half of them won't buy it, when they'll understand that BlackBerry will lock the device down as hard as possible, with locked bootloaders and through making the phone as unrootable as possible (probably not a word, but hey).
    At least if BlackBerry doesn't drop the whole security thing.

Then you have to account for the kind of people that go on Reddit.
    It's a pretty special demographic, so you definitely know that those guys aren't average.

Which brings us to the question:
    Are some combined 500 people (reddit, comments in articles) really an indication of anything?
    Especially when those guys and girls are much rather techies than anything else?

Which brings me to another point:
    BlackBerry should try to cater to techies especially with their new Android phone.
    It's an integral part of the Android market for new comers.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-18-15 08:26 AM
    There is no evidence it provides a competitive advantage - none - it's *popular* with existing BB users but that's not the same thing.
    The Hub worship that has sprung up on this board over the past couple months has been hilarious. The Hub certainly wasn't as revered when BB10 launched. Back then, there was talk about the software keyboard and multitasking and browser, etc. etc.

I'm not sure that either consumers or enterprise would pay money for an alternative notification center on their iOS or Android devices; but, I don't blame John Chen for trying.

Which brings us to the question:
    Are some combined 500 people (reddit, comments in articles) really an indication of anything?
    Especially when those guys and girls are much rather techies than anything else?
    It's not hard evidence of anything; but, it implies that there would be some market for a Blackberry device with Android and the idea isn't completely panned like the Fire Phone.

Anyway, at this point, Reddit is really large and influential. Places like Crackberry and Verge have their own little hidden agenda. But Reddit, from my experience, is what a lot of people really think. Even more so than normal because minority views are heavily suppressed.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 06-18-15 at 08:49 AM.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    06-18-15 08:26 AM
    In case you haven't noticed, BlackBerry is screwing up even PKB's now. Been following any of the double typing threads?

Posted via CB10
    techvisor, Bbnivende and Witmen like this.
    06-18-15 09:17 AM
    The Hub worship that has sprung up on this board over the past couple months has been hilarious. The Hub certainly wasn't as revered when BB10 launched. Back then, there was talk about the software keyboard and multitasking and browser, etc. etc.

I'm not sure that either consumers or enterprise would pay money for an alternative notification center on their iOS or Android devices; but, I don't blame John Chen for trying.
    What are you talking about? You're way off.

The hub has ALWAYS been revered around here since day 1 of BB10. Not sure where you've been... but that is NOT a new phenomenon.
    06-18-15 09:22 AM

The real things that provide competitive advantage in mobile going forward are things that BBRY doesn't have the scale, infrastructure or finance to provide or build - (see Revealed: The Secret Gear Connecting Google's Online Empire | WIRED). Within three to four years, things like google now and contextual information provision (information automatically provided as you need it or before you think you need it) will have been even more advanced than they are now - and considered table stakes - at that point designing a nice piece of hardware or an 'us too' OS will be neither here nor there.
    "There is no evidence it provides a competitive advantage - none - it's *popular* with existing computer science researchers but that's not the same thing."
    06-18-15 09:38 AM

New Blackberry phone codenamed "Venice" possibly running Android with a 5.4" screen, slide out keyboard and a Snapdragon 808 processor! : Android

In the same thread you say "strangers on Reddit say 'we want a BB device running Android'" as if that's some kind of legitimate data point, then you also say "the hub love on CB is ridiculous" which is a just pointless to even say... you're a mess.

If you actually used the email and other communications systems on other platforms you'd know that no other platform natively offers something like the Hub, and if you actually go on the internet once in a while, you'd see BB10 reviews that skew negative praise the Hub and not discount it as irrelevant to BB10. You should really go on the internet more.
    06-18-15 09:41 AM
551 ... 1415161718 ...