07-23-15 06:38 AM
551 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    They might be able to partner with Google so they are still able to sell bb10 with the runtime. This would only help android with the enterprise anyway if blackberry brings increased security and productivity to the platform
    If this was possible, why wouldn't they have done it already? LOL.

The whole point of the OHA and its rules is to allow Google to control its ecosystem and therefore have tremendous influence over the OEMs who use it. There are over 200 OHA member manufacturers, including Samsung, who would LOVE to have Play Store access without having to abide by OHA rules. Why would Google give away the keys to its kingdom by giving BB the Play Store in violation of OHA rules, thereby destroying the OHA and losing billions of dollars per year? What would Google gain? BB is already working with Google to help integrate MDM and security features, so, nothing to gain there.

The only way to get Play Store access and Google Services is to run Android - and only Android - on a given device. If BB wants to also run BB10, they can - they just need to remove the Android Runtime from it so as not to be in violation of their OHA agreement. The OHA doesn't prevent a manufacturer from running other OSs (on different phones), it just prevents them from using OSs that contain non-Certified Android code.
    06-16-15 12:04 AM
    I think we need a sticky about OHA.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-16-15 12:52 AM
    I think we need a sticky about OHA.
    I think we need a sticky about a lot of things. There's a lot of misinformation running around CB and a lot of duplicate posts.
    06-16-15 03:12 AM
    ... like BB and your carrier do with your Z10?

If you really cared about those things, you'd never own a cell phone, because carriers have been doing this before smartphones even hit the market, and BB's Terms Of Service read almost identical to Apple's, Google's, and Microsoft's about collecting your data and location and being able to sell anonymized versions of that data to third parties.
    Exactly thats why I laugh when i read all the reasoning of not using a Android device.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    06-16-15 03:24 AM
    Interesting. I know HTC and Samsung were both releasing Windows Phone handsets at the same time they were doing Android. At least for a short time. Perhaps this is a newer restriction?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Sorry, you are right. My wording is unappropriate.
    They can't sell Google Android and anything Android forked (aka the 'runtime' in BB10).
    06-16-15 05:39 AM
    They can't sell Google Android and anything Android forked (aka the 'runtime' in BB10).
    Any insider info?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2204 | CB Mod
    06-16-15 05:43 AM

You were right before some android app not working before now working on Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2204
    06-16-15 05:44 AM
    ... like BB and your carrier do with your Z10?

If you really cared about those things, you'd never own a cell phone, because carriers have been doing this before smartphones even hit the market, and BB's Terms Of Service read almost identical to Apple's, Google's, and Microsoft's about collecting your data and location and being able to sell anonymized versions of that data to third parties.
    Don't bother Troy. Facts and logic don't penetrate the shiny hats on this forum.
    It's way above localization for Google. It's pretty much anything (incl your documents content, for instance).
    Then for BlackBerry, it's explicitely printed on screnn during localization service setup, not hidden deep in the terms of use or related documentation.

So, you're technically right; still, the process and 'phylosophy' of data collection and exploitation are drastically different.
    And I'm too old for shiny hats; I need to preserve my lasting hair from abrasion
    ArcPlug likes this.
    06-16-15 05:44 AM
    Ecosystem > OS that's how the game is played BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    rai187 likes this.
    06-16-15 07:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not sure why that is such a hard concept to grasp!

Really think BB10 might have done better with a BBOS player. (not really, but it is a shame they basically threw away the ecosystem they had)
    06-16-15 09:23 AM
    There are some things money can't buy...

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry ain't one of those..... Chen is a businessman, and he gets a NICE big bonus if the company is sold. Right now the alternative seems to be a long slow process of recovery to a stable company - but not to the once mighty BlackBerry that was.
    06-16-15 09:56 AM
    If this was possible, why wouldn't they have done it already? LOL.

The whole point of the OHA and its rules is to allow Google to control its ecosystem and therefore have tremendous influence over the OEMs who use it. There are over 200 OHA member manufacturers, including Samsung, who would LOVE to have Play Store access without having to abide by OHA rules. Why would Google give away the keys to its kingdom by giving BB the Play Store in violation of OHA rules, thereby destroying the OHA and losing billions of dollars per year? What would Google gain? BB is already working with Google to help integrate MDM and security features, so, nothing to gain there.

The only way to get Play Store access and Google Services is to run Android - and only Android - on a given device. If BB wants to also run BB10, they can - they just need to remove the Android Runtime from it so as not to be in violation of their OHA agreement. The OHA doesn't prevent a manufacturer from running other OSs (on different phones), it just prevents them from using OSs that contain non-Certified Android code.
    Tony, have you seen this article?

http://berryflow.com/2015/06/the-fut...on-blackberry/

There may be a workaround using hypervisor that secures the BlackBerry phone on the workside.

A sad time for BlackBerry all touch consumer users. I think that the Classic will work well enough as a Android. Perhaps now we might seem some better PKB designs that do not use a square screen.

Personally, I will be going over to iOS.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 10:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    OK, so let's look at the ecosystem for Android. It is free, open source software. So Google takes it. Since it is open source...there is no money made off the software....just the apps and ecosystem. So how is the money made? Well, advertising, selling of contact lists at 2 dollars per contact, percentages off developers producing paid apps and or %s off in-apps ad revenue...that's where the money is made. But no money is made off the OS itself because it's open. QNX, bb10 is different....gives me choices and privacy. If I don't want my contacts sold...I simply don't download apps that do so for revenue. Blackberry itself would make zero money off Android. Because the 1% or whatever group that buys Blackberry...does it for 2 main reasons....security and privacy. Unless I download a stupid Amazon app or a Snap Android app....i don't have to look at targeted advertising. Which is nice and refreshing compared to when I was using Android on an s4. Why pay 600 bucks for a device to look at ads? So one can play candy crush?

℘ℴƽℯđ √ ƽ ℘ƽƽ℘ℴř
    ArcPlug likes this.
    06-16-15 11:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    Where you from?
    06-16-15 11:11 AM
    advertising, selling of contact lists at 2 dollars per contact,
    you may want to temper and divide it by 100 ... at least.
    06-16-15 11:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yep.

I think it's beginning to sink in. A strong ecosystem (apps, accessories, content, etc) is the most important factor, IMHO.
    06-16-15 12:32 PM
    I've been saying this for years. It made no sense to waste all that money and time on their own OS (which admittedly is good) while a good enough but more importantly free OS was out there for the taking. It just needed some security tweaking and BB enhancements and voila...ready to go.

Kinda late now tbh...almost makes more sense to stick with the BB OS since they've invested so much money and time into it. Or maybe a dual-loading device. Can load BB OS for work and Android for "fun"...sure it doesn't make sense to those of us who know that BB OS is fine for fun too...but it works on a marketing level. Imagine the poster, on one side BB OS all black and serious, on the other Android, colourful and fun!!
    06-16-15 03:25 PM

The Future of Android on BlackBerry

There may be a workaround using hypervisor that secures the BlackBerry phone on the workside.

A sad time for BlackBerry all touch consumer users. I think that the Classic will work well enough as a Android. Perhaps now we might seem some better PKB designs that do not use a square screen.

Personally, I will be going over to iOS.

Posted via CB10
    Why is their and OHA?

Both hypervisor and BB10 go against the purpose of the OHA... and that is keeping the Android OS from fragmenting and to keep it relevant and strong.

So I don't think you'll see a dual booting device running Android..... with Google Play access. And I'm not sure what good Android is without Google Play... but there are millions of devices sold every year without it.
    06-16-15 04:14 PM
    I've been saying this for years. It made no sense to waste all that money and time on their own OS (which admittedly is good) while a good enough but more importantly free OS was out there for the taking. It just needed some security tweaking and BB enhancements and voila...ready to go.

Kinda late now tbh...almost makes more sense to stick with the BB OS since they've invested so much money and time into it. Or maybe a dual-loading device. Can load BB OS for work and Android for "fun"...sure it doesn't make sense to those of us who know that BB OS is fine for fun too...but it works on a marketing level. Imagine the poster, on one side BB OS all black and serious, on the other Android, colourful and fun!!
    Don't forget to convince Microsoft that they should also stop wasting their money as well.

Two operating systems is too little and will only recreate the bad monopoly we have in the PC market. With mobile we could have a chance to have a more diverse OS market share instead which I think is good.
    06-16-15 04:16 PM
    What if blackberry removed the android runtime from bb10 and instead replaced them with Microsoft apps and services and then produced their own android device as well

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 04:53 PM
    What if blackberry removed the android runtime from bb10 and instead replaced them with Microsoft apps and services and then produced their own android device as well

Posted via CB10
    Nothing would prevent them doing that - however they would likely be in the same place as other OEMs where Microsoft come after them for a license payment for their android devices.

http://berryflow.com/2015/06/the-fut...on-blackberry/

Be really clear about what these tests are - they aren't a fair and impartial test - they are a rigged game that Google always wins - they can change the tests right upto certification - so lets say there was a loop-hoop that allowed for android in a hypervisor - they would just remove it.
    06-16-15 05:10 PM
    OHA rules make it clear that certified devices must run Android, and only Android, as the underlying OS. Dual-booting and virtualization (aka the hypervisor) are not OHA-compliant. So, while those things might be technically possible, it wouldn't give BB what it needs, which is official Google Services and Play Store access, and without those, there would be no point in making changes anyway.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-16-15 05:41 PM
    OHA rules make it clear that certified devices must run Android, and only Android, as the underlying OS. Dual-booting and virtualization (aka the hypervisor) are not OHA-compliant. So, while those things might be technically possible, it wouldn't give BB what it needs, which is official Google Services and Play Store access, and without those, there would be no point in making changes anyway.
    Right - which is why I'm baffled at the concentration on what is *technically* possible (on a hardware/software) because it's irrelevant - the only time someone got around this was to make a dual-boot device... which was actually two independent devices stuck together...(so not actually dual-booting...)
    06-16-15 05:45 PM
    Don't forget to convince Microsoft that they should also stop wasting their money as well.

Two operating systems is too little and will only recreate the bad monopoly we have in the PC market. With mobile we could have a chance to have a more diverse OS market share instead which I think is good.
    Well, while it makes sense for Microsoft to spend over 500 million a year in developing a mobile OS given its size and the strategic value of owning a competitive mobile OS, the case just isn't the same for BBRY. BBRY's revenue is shrinking rabidly and continued investment into BB10 with no future is just throwing money away.
    06-16-15 06:02 PM
    If BB goes Android you can say good by to good battery life and security.
    06-16-15 06:04 PM
551 ... 1213141516 ...