07-23-15 06:38 AM
551 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    1/ no... i'll leave
    2/I left Android for Android
    3/ most BlackBerry users know exactly what OS they are running.. that's why they use it..

Posted via my awesome Classic
    I agree here. I hate android. Liked BBOS, Love BB10. If this happens, and is not just for one phone line ( android on say sliders, BB10 on all others) , then the Passport will be my last BlackBerry phone that I buy.

I hate the fact that I am even having to think about dropping BlackBerry after 13 years.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 01:53 AM
    If you can't beat them then join them.

Posted via CB10
    What's your name?
    06-15-15 02:07 AM
    Just wanted to pop by and say that I have been talking to some buddies who work at BlackBerry and lets just say that there is more to the rumour than meets the eye. These are the same folks that gave me the heads up that older generation BB10 phones were getting 10.3.1 and not 10.3, weeks before the official announcement and told me about the passport when it was just a rumour and when only parts were leaking.

All I have to say to naysayers that I am sorry but it looks like its gonna happen. I only hope that BB10 is not sacrificed for this...
    May I ask if they ever hinted that BlackBerry Limited is going to adopt certified Android OS (like Samsung, Lenovo, Huawei, LG, et al.) or forked Android OS (like Amazon, Nokia / Microsoft (discontinued), Blackphone, Xiaomi, OnePlus, Meizu, et al.)?

BlackBerry considering Android for upcoming handset-share_2014.png
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-15-15 02:50 AM
    May I ask if they ever hinted that BlackBerry Limited is going to adopt certified Android OS (like Samsung, Lenovo, Huawei, LG, et al.) or forked Android OS (like Amazon, Nokia / Microsoft (discontinued), Blackphone, Xiaomi, OnePlus, Meizu, et al.)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	share_2014.png 
Views:	1394 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	357685

The problem with forked android is the same as BB10: apps. And no, users don't want to sideload apps when it's much easier to just buy a google certified Android.

Actually there are 2 main reasons everyone is going Android right now:
    1. very low software development costs (the OS is already there)
    2. the app store; we see Windows phone and BB struggle to the app-devs on board, so why not just get the full appstore without much effort.
    06-15-15 04:03 AM
    BerryFlow has done an excellent analysis of the available facts: http://berryflow.com/2015/06/the-fut...on-blackberry/

Posted from my Z10 via CB10
    06-15-15 09:08 AM
    BBRY can let out a lot of the air from this if it so chooses.
    I am unsure of all the 'rules' for the quiet period before earnings announcements, but I am sure that they can not release info that can juice the stock either way. Whether that is a partnership, change in OS, squash a rumor...etc.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-15-15 09:25 AM
    BerryFlow has done an excellent analysis of the available facts: The Future of Android on BlackBerry
    Except that the conclusion doesn't make sense. Why go through all that complexity to shoe-horn QNX into the device when most customers don't care about it? Frankly, for a company that is downsizing as fast as BlackBerry is to come up with a brand new Android device by the end of the year is hard enough to believe. The software guys are going to have their hands full just getting the Android versions of the core BlackBerry apps to work over the next six months. I assume that the hardware and the basic operating system stuff is going to largely be outsourced.
    06-15-15 09:31 AM
    Isn't BlackBerry currently laying off a number of their software designers and app developers? Imagine waiting for updates to be released - "coming soon."
    06-15-15 09:59 AM
    I see that a lot of people think that forked version of Android will not come equipped with Google play store (services), but if you look at what many chinese OEMs have to offer outside of China, then you can find out they ship with the play store

 1 of the 40,000 korean BlackBerry user  3-10-Slider 
    06-15-15 10:01 AM
    I am unsure of all the 'rules' for the quiet period before earnings announcements, but I am sure that they can not release info that can juice the stock either way. Whether that is a partnership, change in OS, squash a rumor...etc.
    Good point.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-15-15 10:13 AM
    BerryFlow has done an excellent analysis of the available facts: http://berryflow.com/2015/06/the-fut...on-blackberry/

Posted from my Z10 via CB10
    I might have to read this article about 50 more times to understand it. What is the end result for consumers? An Android OS with Blackberry Apps? I am a consumer so that it what I care about. Perhaps running Android on a QNX device gives some additional level of security but with less privacy.

The article fails to answer the question of what happens to current or future BB10 devices. Without runtime are these devices usable ? Maybe the answer could be for BlackBerry to have no app store at all but only run Google Play apps. Can the QNX hypervisor operate Google Play and BB10 as a single boot system?

Another older but interesting article. http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://mo...9ouV4jLGAJJU8w

At the end of the day, if BlackBerry can continue to sell BES and BB10 secure devices to Enterprise and Google's protects the integrity of their Ecosystem can't both companies get along ?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 06-15-15 at 11:37 AM.
    06-15-15 11:17 AM
    (...) but I am sure that they [BlackBerry] can not release info that can juice the stock either way. Whether that is a partnership, change in OS, squash a rumor...etc.
    yes, yes, yes ... as for the last 3 years pre-earnings report periods.
    If any, this is the most significant tip that this *rumor* - even if reprinted a thousand times since initially 'reported' by Reuters - is at least scheduled/brodcasted at a very opportunistic period.
    06-15-15 11:47 AM
    I don't think OHA allows a brand to sell android AND another OS.
    So, Android + Google services = End of BB10 = End of high grade security market = ....
    Other alternatives are time consuming and very costy so, however I take it, I can't see that - rumor - be close to real now.
    'Brewed' sounds to me like 'enhanced', not like 'start over'. But that's JMHO.
    Interesting. I know HTC and Samsung were both releasing Windows Phone handsets at the same time they were doing Android. At least for a short time. Perhaps this is a newer restriction?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-15-15 01:09 PM
    1/ no... i'll leave
    2/I left Android for Android
    3/ most BlackBerry users know exactly what OS they are running.. that's why they use it..

Posted via my awesome Classic
    I think this is a good point and people seems to believe that consumers are a bunch amoebas that buys whatever comes in their path. I bought a Blackberry because I like BB10 and I'm not too particular fond of Android. If Blackberry goes Android and scrap BB10, then I will move on to another OS.

Blackberry needs to understand that they need more aggressive marketing because BB10 is kind of unknown to people. They simply don't know how good it is.
    06-15-15 01:39 PM
    Why BlackBerry building an Android phone is a terrible idea | MobileSyrup.com

This MobileSyrup article admits right here that, regardless of which OS BB uses, that it doesn't have much of a future in hardware. I'm not sure why anyone here thinks that the article all that great (for BB).
    The anti-Android voice is louder than reason. The article is not pro BlackBerry hardware.
    06-15-15 02:15 PM
    Interesting. I know HTC and Samsung were both releasing Windows Phone handsets at the same time they were doing Android. At least for a short time. Perhaps this is a newer restriction?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    OHA OEM are free to build devices with "other" OSs on them. They are not free to build devices running other version of Android on them - like Amazon's Kindle OS or BlackBerry's Android Runtime.

So HTC and Samsung are free to build Windows phones today. And Samsung is free to build Tizen phones - as Tizen is based on "Linux" much like Android, but it isn't based on Android.

Think the whole reasoning was so that the "open source" Android OS didn't get fractured into each OEM running their own custom version. And then the compatibility issue that might result.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-15-15 02:48 PM
    I don't like the idea of someone watching every step and direction I moved

Z10
    ... like BB and your carrier do with your Z10?

If you really cared about those things, you'd never own a cell phone, because carriers have been doing this before smartphones even hit the market, and BB's Terms Of Service read almost identical to Apple's, Google's, and Microsoft's about collecting your data and location and being able to sell anonymized versions of that data to third parties.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    06-15-15 03:00 PM
    ... like BB and your carrier do with your Z10?

If you really cared about those things, you'd never own a cell phone, because carriers have been doing this before smartphones even hit the market, and BB's Terms Of Service read almost identical to Apple's, Google's, and Microsoft's about collecting your data and location and being able to sell anonymized versions of that data to third parties.
    Don't bother Troy. Facts and logic don't penetrate the shiny hats on this forum.
    Coachbulldog and DrBoomBotz like this.
    06-15-15 03:08 PM
    I think this is a good point and people seems to believe that consumers are a bunch amoebas that buys whatever comes in their path. I bought a Blackberry because I like BB10 and I'm not too particular fond of Android. If Blackberry goes Android and scrap BB10, then I will move on to another OS.

Blackberry needs to understand that they need more aggressive marketing because BB10 is kind of unknown to people. They simply don't know how good it is.
    Marketing isn't the answer... Stuff kind of speaks for itself. People figure out things fast.

1st. Horrible point of sale access. Lost so much distribution. Lack of live devices at launch.
    2nd. Young sale staff don't find bb10 engaging enough. 10mins to sell a phone, no way to get that sale with bb10 os. It's too dull, uninspired for the masses.
    3rd. Apple sells itself.

So until bb fixes bb10 and makes interactive, engaging.. No way to increase sales. It needs 1 or 2 real good advancement os wise to say.. This is why you get a bb. Have it available, in hands of all pop sales staff and with good specs.

Bb is a software issue now, not device. You can't market the hell out of crap and hope to make a return.. No amount of marketing will help until something worth marketing comes out in os.

Even corporate handed out phones, staff complain it's embarrassing to be seen with a free company given bb and complain why they can't have an android.. You can't fix that without a major change to the user interface..
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-15-15 03:25 PM
    Marketing isn't the answer... Stuff kind of speaks for itself. People figure out things fast.

1st. Horrible point of sale access. Lost so much distribution. Lack of live devices at launch.
    2nd. Young sale staff don't find bb10 engaging enough. 10mins to sell a phone, no way to get that sale with bb10 os. It's too dull, uninspired for the masses.
    3rd. Apple sells itself.

So until bb fixes bb10 and makes interactive, engaging.. No way to increase sales. It needs 1 or 2 real good advancement os wise to say.. This is why you get a bb. Have it available, in hands of all pop sales staff and with good specs.

Bb is a software issue now, not device. You can't market the hell out of crap and hope to make a return.. No amount of marketing will help until something worth marketing comes out in os.

Even corporate handed out phones, staff complain it's embarrassing to be seen with a free company given bb and complain why they can't have an android.. You can't fix that without a major change to the user interface..
    Tactile feedback, colorful daycare center display....a device that looks like something that belongs in pre-school....sure, the "masses" and "younger" salesforce can have it. Not for me lol.

℘ℴƽℯđ √ ƽ ℘ƽƽ℘ℴř
    06-15-15 04:30 PM
    OHA OEM are free to build devices with "other" OSs on them. They are not free to build devices running other version of Android on them - like Amazon's Kindle OS or BlackBerry's Android Runtime.

So HTC and Samsung are free to build Windows phones today. And Samsung is free to build Tizen phones - as Tizen is based on "Linux" much like Android, but it isn't based on Android.

Think the whole reasoning was so that the "open source" Android OS didn't get fractured into each OEM running their own custom version. And then the compatibility issue that might result.
    Yes. So... Then... if BlackBerry strips the Android RT out of BB10 should they not then be able to also make an official Android OS variant?
    06-15-15 05:38 PM
    Yes. So... Then... if BlackBerry strips the Android RT out of BB10 should they not then be able to also make an official Android OS variant?
    Yes, BB could be an OHA member, make Google-Certified Android devices with Google Services and Google Play, and still sell BB10 - as long as BB10 had the Android Runtime stripped out.

But who would buy a BB10 phone without the Android Runtime? Consider that even if you can live without "real" Android apps from Amazon or Google Play, there's still the problem that a lot of the apps in BB World are Android ports that won't run without the Runtime. While there's no doubt that there exist people who would be happy with such a phone, they are certainly not enough to support continued development of BB10 or a separate line of hardware (at least, IMO). BB10 is already losing money.

Now, might it happen that BB continues BB10 for a short while after going Android? Yes, perhaps, but I suspect that it wouldn't be very long before it was over.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-15-15 07:26 PM
    They might be able to partner with Google so they are still able to sell bb10 with the runtime. This would only help android with the enterprise anyway if blackberry brings increased security and productivity to the platform

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 07:53 PM
    They might be able to partner with Google so they are still able to sell bb10 with the runtime. This would only help android with the enterprise anyway if blackberry brings increased security and productivity to the platform

Posted via CB10
    Lol. Why all the complications, if google android cared anything about security.. If bb is even considering it like many seem to think.. Them google wouldn't partner they'd just buy bb outright.. Much cleaner and simpler. End game bb and bb10.
    06-15-15 08:31 PM
    Lol. Why all the complications, if google android cared anything about security.. If bb is even considering it like many seem to think.. Them google wouldn't partner they'd just buy bb outright.. Much cleaner and simpler. End game bb and bb10.
    There are some things money can't buy...

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 08:51 PM
551 ... 1112131415 ...