07-23-15 05:38 AM
551 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Right... but is using Android a better choice? ...
    I don't think there are many BB fans who simply prefer Android over BB10. The problem is we don't seem to have a say in this. The cards seem to have been dealt for us. So, if our only choice is no BB device, or one based on Android with some of the good BB features, I personally would take the one with BB in it, even if it's partially!
    jmr1015 likes this.
    06-14-15 01:41 AM
    Yes, I agree, it would be the lesser of two evils. But to put this out there, I want BB10 to stay around. I was a long time iPhone user for many years before I picked up a used Bold 9900 off craigslist and never looked back since. My eyes were opened for the first time how security is an important thing to consider when choosing a phone.

I was on vacation in network and was using an open public wifi connection with my iPhone 4 at a mall. And other places as well. BIG MISTAKE. Credit card info was stolen and had to deal with charges on my card that thrives stole from my phone. My card was linked to my iTunes account so they somehow got to that. So from then on I decided to never use these public wifi connections unless its unavoidable or an emergency and to get a secure phone. My best friend all through medical school was a die hard BlackBerry Fan and we all kind of teased him about being a dinosaur haha. But the more I saw him use it, the more I was intrigued by it. So when it came to ditching my phone after the credit card fiasco, I decided to go black. Picked up a used Bold 9900 and have been a fan ever since. Since then I have bought the Z10 and now the Z30, which I have been using for 2 years.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that I really don't want BB10 to go. But if its a choice of android as it stands today VS android secured by BlackBerry I would go with the latter. Lesser of two evils again. its all relative unfortunately. I for one am not too thrilled about it. Earlier I may have posted that I wanted to jump ship and I am glad they are going android, but upon reflecting why I went with blackberry in the first place, it became clear to me that only they provide the phones that serve my needs. I am your typical mid twenties media savvy individual and I don't really miss apps all that much. I used to download tons of apps on my iPhone and I would use maybe a few on a regular basis. With my blackberry device many of the things I needed apps for is built into the system so it honestly makes my life easier.

Sorry to go off on a rant, but I am honestly hoping that they keep BB10 around, however they can. Even its only their enterprise specific (read higher priced) models I would rather get those. Better than nothing in the end.
    Thanks for sharing your story I too want BlackBerry10 to stay and I would also get an enterprise targeted model if that was my only choice...having used and using BlackBerry10, Android and iOS my favorite one has been BlackBerry10 since the first month of using. Never had to worry about Smishing malwares on my phone and was able to keep track of all of my conversations very easily and there are so many other advantages that I had using BlackBerry10
    In short if there is BlackBerry10 running device I would gladly get one even if it doesn't have the latest and the greatest hardware. But above all if BlackBerry is there then I would get a BlackBerry regardless of OS

 1 of the 40,000 korean BlackBerry user  3-10-Slider 
    06-14-15 01:51 AM
    Blackberry fans are just a minority compared to android and iOS.

Posted via CB10
    True based on unit sales...and true in global car sales for Lamborghini and Ferrari. They have passionate die hard owners too. Not sure what your point is...
    06-14-15 01:52 AM
    True based on unit sales...and true in global car sales for Lamborghini and Ferrari. They have passionate die hard owners too. Not sure what your point is...
    Well when BlackBerry fans are buying phones for 10X what an Android or iOS device costs, then maybe that would be relevant. Ferrari and Lamborghini are exotic car makers, and charge accordingly. They're not struggling to compete with Toyota in the $20k economy car market. They're also on the cutting edge of performance and technology.

Both of them, I should add, are also not independent car makers, but are owned by larger automotive conglomerates. VW Group owns Lamborghini, and Chrysler Fiat owns Ferrari. If Samsung bought BlackBerry, and positioned them as a luxury phone on par with Vertu phones, deploying their latest and greatest technology to BlackBerry first before their Galaxy line... then the comparison to Lamborghini and Ferrari would be a little more realistic.
    06-14-15 02:37 AM
    I think the BlackBerry Experience Suite is a great idea to promote BB 10 to other platform users.
    I can imagine this project alone is already a very big challenge which binds a significant amount of resources.

But a complete Android device?
    Do they have enough resources to develop and maintain Android on a complete new hardware?
    Are they willed to spend money for the marketing?
    For sure some companies and maybe some consumers would buy the device, but probably not in significant numbers.

If they would run into issues with the Experience Suite and won't bring it, then an Android device could be a reasonable plan B.
    But even then I would still see a lots of costs for additional R&D, support and marketing, while I don't see a big differentiator.

For the time being, I would focus my resources on the Experience Suite for other platforms, BB 10 handsets and a BB 10 tablet.
    From a marketing point of view that would be more consistent and promising.
    There is still a lots of work to do for BB 10, but it has become a mature and capable OS and it deserves a lot more love (I mean investments) than it currently gets.
    Last edited by Superdupont 2_0; 06-14-15 at 04:15 AM.
    06-14-15 04:04 AM
    Best case scenario - Google play services etc.. available on bb10 -great!

Worst case scenario - android on a BlackBerry skin - not bad... I wouldn't mind...

Though if BlackBerry stops supporting bb10, that's the end of my z10 :'(

I hope to get one last major update....

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 04:14 AM
    I do not like to see BlackBerry start acting like Nokia . . . Nokia Forks Android In Mobile Services Push

Attachment 357490
    Last edited by yhamaie; 06-14-15 at 06:15 AM.
    06-14-15 06:04 AM
    My Android dream scenario ...:

BlackBerry considering Android for upcoming handset-ripandroid.jpg

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-14-15 06:44 AM
    The possibilities could be interesting. If it runs separate os's. Another manufacturer may have their own ideas and license it.

Amazon could release a fire phone on the other side of bb10, or any other type of combo.

It could play out like the infotainment systems, a baseline system, which runs any platform on top or beside it.

The benefits of such a system aren't obvious now, but if QNX Cisco, GE and AT&T keep digging into IOT core, then the IOT ecosystem may ONLY be accessible through a Blackberry. The enterprise side of things, the railway cars, shipping containers, wind mills etc. need to be locked down and secure. This is where blackberry needs to be. The big important stuff. Leave the games to the gamers.
    Last edited by abwan11; 06-14-15 at 07:23 AM.
    06-14-15 06:53 AM
    Y'all got it rong!

Google's next device will be secured by QNX, basically following the BB 10 model!
    (And yes, Apple and Microsoft are waiting in the line)

That kind of rumor would at least make some sense.
    abwan11 likes this.
    06-14-15 07:06 AM
    Y'all got it rong!

Google's next device will be secured by QNX, basically following the BB 10 model!
    (And yes, Apple and Microsoft are waiting in the line)

That kind of rumor would at least make some sense.
    And then the app gap would no longer exist.. because they are all written with the same code.. everybody happy!

06-14-15 07:12 AM
    Completely agreeing! Sacrificing the OS (although not my favorite option) seems much better than Sacrificing the company as a whole
    As long as BlackBerry is around BlackBerry will be my number one option when getting a smartphone.

But if they aren't making their own OF, and they are outsourcing the hardware to Foxconn or some other company, and still won't be able to make cheap hardware because Android takes the same hardware BB10 does, then what does BlackBerry have at that point that makes purchasing a phone from them appealing? The name BlackBerry? The brand is garbage now to most of the smartphone buying public. And building off of Android is building off a foundation of sand. They could have done this in 2010 and didn't because it was a security nightmare. Samsung can't get Knox right with tons of money.

QNX and BB10 are the best OS/kernel available from native functionality, security and UI perspective IMHO. I just wish a company with the money to make it successful would buy BlackBerry for the OS and MDM, get rid of the name BlackBerry, and pour mass amounts of cash to make it successful. Also move all operations out of Waterloo (Jim B said Canada isn't creating a competitive environment for tech). It is clear that BlackBerry waited too long to transition and can't complete it.

Apple or Samsung, please buy BlackBerry and make BB10 your OS under your own branding. Save it from the id10ts in Waterloo that have all but destroyed any chance of it being successful.

Posted via Z30
    06-14-15 09:40 AM
    Now you've lost me again. It's almost certain they're exploring Android as a consumer play in handsets, and keeping BB10 alive (on a slower development path) while trying to grow out software as a service to replace lost revenues in BIS as they migrate users from legacy BBOS. They're also porting over all of their crown jewels from BBM to the BlackBerry experience (keyboard, hub, etc) to all platforms and making a serious attempt by adapting to each platform's design paradigm. They're also expanding BES to manage all platforms in mobile as well as trying to grow it to other devices in anticipation of IoT...

What, on earth, is BlackBerry not doing at the moment to try and build out their business? That's assuming we're all grounded in reality and recognize that their competition (Google, Apple, Microsoft) are sitting on a Mount Everest sized mountain of cash and can outspend them in every single way? Seriously, elaborate on what they're not doing that they could be doing to try and keep in the game.

And please, don't say a high end all touch device, lol.
    Fair question.

Firstly, I and others have said it umpteen times before... but I will say it again -> the first thing they should have been doing is "TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU'RE DOING". Yes, I am yelling, because I'm fed up with over 3 years of most people not even knowing that BlackBerry builds touch devices. I don't care what you're doing right, if no one knows you're doing it, you will NEVER succeed. And I've had it with the crowd who claims BlackBerry don't have the funds to advertise like Apple or Samsung. I'm not talking about gazillion dollar super bowl ads. But if you've got the funds to go on buying sprees of other software companies, then you've got enough funds to at least tell people you still exist.

To this day, there are almost ZERO people outside of these geek forums that know anything about a Z30, a Passport, a Leap. A very few know about the Classic because of Tmobile. There are MANY ex-BlackBerry fans out there who gave up and went to iOS. Many of them would be back in an instant if they knew anything about Z30 or Passport. But waiting years until you've become a successful software company and then expecting you can somehow get back into the hand set business is ludicrous. They are almost dead now... and it is NOT a market you can simply jump back into at some future date. They had ohhhh sooooo much potential, but refusal to advertise left NO ONE knowing they even exist.

Secondly, if you want to convince folks that you're a good software company, then fix what you've got first.

Fix:
    1. Link (saddest excuse ever for device management)
    2. Contacts (come on BBRY! How could you so badly screw up one of your core competencies?)
    3. XBBM (reliability... and do what you say you're gonna do... where's XBBM video?)
    4. OS updates... pay attention to your beta programs or don't have them. Passport flickering, Z30 dead screens, unbelievable!!

Regarding new devices, no I don't believe it has to be high end... but they very certainly need a Z30 replacement. I am very happy with my Z30 but starting to run low on memory. Had to delete a bunch of apps just for enough memory to install 10.3.2. 16GB of RAM is not enough for today.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-14-15 10:15 AM
    Speculation. I'll wait for see what happens. Then I'll make my decision.

The Z10 STL 100-3 on 10.3.1.27087 BlackBerry owners on AT&T Channel C0032C652
    06-14-15 10:23 AM
    Fair question.

Firstly, I and others have said it umpteen times before... but I will say it again -> the first thing they should have been doing is "TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU'RE DOING". Yes, I am yelling, because I'm fed up with over 3 years of most people not even knowing that BlackBerry builds touch devices. I don't care what you're doing right, if no one knows you're doing it, you will NEVER succeed. And I've had it with the crowd who claims BlackBerry don't have the funds to advertise like Apple or Samsung. I'm not talking about gazillion dollar super bowl ads. But if you've got the funds to go on buying sprees of other software companies, then you've got enough funds to at least tell people you still exist.

To this day, there are almost ZERO people outside of these geek forums that know anything about a Z30, a Passport, a Leap. A very few know about the Classic because of Tmobile. There are MANY ex-BlackBerry fans out there who gave up and went to iOS. Many of them would be back in an instant if they knew anything about Z30 or Passport. But waiting years until you've become a successful software company and then expecting you can somehow get back into the hand set business is ludicrous. They are almost dead now... and it is NOT a market you can simply jump back into at some future date. They had ohhhh sooooo much potential, but refusal to advertise left NO ONE knowing they even exist.

Secondly, if you want to convince folks that you're a good software company, then fix what you've got first.

Fix:
    1. Link (saddest excuse ever for device management)
    2. Contacts (come on BBRY! How could you so badly screw up one of your core competencies?)
    3. XBBM (reliability... and do what you say you're gonna do... where's XBBM video?)
    4. OS updates... pay attention to your beta programs or don't have them. Passport flickering, Z30 dead screens, unbelievable!!

Regarding new devices, no I don't believe it has to be high end... but they very certainly need a Z30 replacement. I am very happy with my Z30 but starting to run low on memory. Had to delete a bunch of apps just for enough memory to install 10.3.2. 16GB of RAM is not enough for today.
    Some good points, I agree Link is ... not great, lol. I like the RFA capability but they should be able to roll that up into Blend hopefully. And can't argue at the lack of advertising, though I think until the Android vs BB10 (or both) question is settled, there's no point advertising until that's been clarified. If they're making a consumer play beyond enterprise then the Android BB is the obvious product to promote in carriers, retail, etc. All Gapps, Snapchat, this, that and the other will be available to all.

I think BBM video is coming, but I think they're right in working on adapting each version to better fit the platform - with the new Android material design that leaves iOS to get the full makeover. They also might be holding back to push BBM Meetings (speculation), but yes, they should make it a priority. Even if they limit it to one on one video conversations to dangle the carrot for monetizing Meetings.

I take it you're not a fan of the slider under any circumstances. Yes, I agree a high end all touch should be next on the list. If the curved edge of the slider is any indication of cooperation with Samsung, then presumably they could pop out a really stellar all touch. I can't imagine it would be difficult to take the internals of the Slider and thus bring an all touch quickly to market as a result.
    06-14-15 01:07 PM
    Small minority.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 01:08 PM
    Speculation. I'll wait for see what happens. Then I'll make my decision.

The Z10 STL 100-3 on 10.3.1.27087 BlackBerry owners on AT&T Channel C0032C652
    A bit more than just speculation actually :P But its up to the higher ups when and if it ever sees light of day. Its been floating around internally but I think this is the most serious they have been about it. But like I said, plans can change on a dime.
    06-14-15 02:14 PM
    I don't think there are many BB fans who simply prefer Android over BB10. The problem is we don't seem to have a say in this. The cards seem to have been dealt for us. So, if our only choice is no BB device, or one based on Android with some of the good BB features, I personally would take the one with BB in it, even if it's partially!
    You are spot on here. There are a lot of us in the same boat.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 02:32 PM
    I don't think there are many BB fans who simply prefer Android over BB10.
    The population of current BB customers is simply too small to sustain the handset division.

BBRY also probably considers the following when making their decision:
    1/ Some BB customers would still buy a BBRY Android even if they threaten to leave right now
    2/ Some BB customers may actually prefer Android but either not know it or unwilling to admit it (brand loyalty)
    3/ Some BB customers would plain not notice the difference. 'What's an operating system?'

The goal is to broaden the appeal of BBRY hardware beyond current BBRY customers and Android happens to be an OS most smartphone customers (consumers/enterprise/government) find reasonable enough.
    Coachbulldog and jmr1015 like this.
    06-14-15 03:40 PM
    But if they aren't making their own OF, and they are outsourcing the hardware to Foxconn or some other company, and still won't be able to make cheap hardware because Android takes the same hardware BB10 does, then what does BlackBerry have at that point that makes purchasing a phone from them appealing? The name BlackBerry? The brand is garbage now to most of the smartphone buying public. And building off of Android is building off a foundation of sand. They could have done this in 2010 and didn't because it was a security nightmare. Samsung can't get Knox right with tons of money.

QNX and BB10 are the best OS/kernel available from native functionality, security and UI perspective IMHO. I just wish a company with the money to make it successful would buy BlackBerry for the OS and MDM, get rid of the name BlackBerry, and pour mass amounts of cash to make it successful. Also move all operations out of Waterloo (Jim B said Canada isn't creating a competitive environment for tech). It is clear that BlackBerry waited too long to transition and can't complete it.

Apple or Samsung, please buy BlackBerry and make BB10 your OS under your own branding. Save it from the id10ts in Waterloo that have all but destroyed any chance of it being successful.

Posted via Z30
    There really is a need for a change, but is now a good time? They recently turned profit after laying off tons of people, and it only seems likely that any big movement would cause some harm... They might have to wait and gain more profit (if they can, that is) and start doing something then. The best thing I believe they can do is building R&D centers in some of the emerging smartphone markets or nations with a leading technology. And they really need to do some marketing - PPL seems good enough

06-14-15 05:32 PM
    Just wanted to pop by and say that I have been talking to some buddies who work at BlackBerry and lets just say that there is more to the rumour than meets the eye. These are the same folks that gave me the heads up that older generation BB10 phones were getting 10.3.1 and not 10.3, weeks before the official announcement and told me about the passport when it was just a rumour and when only parts were leaking.

All I have to say to naysayers that I am sorry but it looks like its gonna happen. I only hope that BB10 is not sacrificed for this...
    Please add me as well. Have a few questions for ya! pin:334C569B

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 08:02 PM
    Because there are people out there who don't like Samsung and their TouchWiz skin. There are people out there either already on Android or contemplating Android who have fond memories of BlackBerry but no interest in BB10.
    Small minority.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 10:28 PM

16GB of RAM is more than adequate, LOL
    (it's actually outrageous, unheard of on a phone!)

What you mean is internal flash storage... :-)

  Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!  
    06-14-15 11:28 PM
    The population of current BB customers is simply too small to sustain the handset division.

BBRY also probably considers the following when making their decision:
    1/ Some BB customers would still buy a BBRY Android even if they threaten to leave right now
    2/ Some BB customers may actually prefer Android but either not know it or unwilling to admit it (brand loyalty)
    3/ Some BB customers would plain not notice the difference. 'What's an operating system?'
    1/ no... i'll leave
    2/I left Android for Android
    3/ most BlackBerry users know exactly what OS they are running.. that's why they use it..

AluminiumRims likes this.
    06-15-15 12:45 AM
    16GB of RAM is more than adequate, LOL
    (it's actually outrageous, unheard of on a phone!)

What you mean is internal flash storage... :-)

  Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!  
    Yup, you're right. That's what I meant. My mistake.

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    06-15-15 12:46 AM
551 ... 1011121314 ...