07-23-15 06:38 AM
551 123 ...
tools
    "BlackBerry is considering equipping an upcoming smartphone with Google Inc.'s Android software for the first time, an acknowledgement that its revamped line of devices has failed to win mass appeal, according to four sources familiar with the matter."

reut.rs/1GB2b5h

Let's hope this is some fake BS.

BlackBerry Z10, the way to go!
    06-11-15 08:26 PM
    Well maybe they will work better,
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-11-15 08:29 PM
    I call BS.
    06-11-15 08:30 PM
    Well when there's smoke...
    As long as they keep making phones with pkb I'll buy BlackBerry, even though I really dislike Android. I'll get used to it I guess
    moody, Mecca EL and whattiger like this.
    06-11-15 08:38 PM
    Total BS. Unless BlackBerry wants to produce hardware equal or better than the top line android stuff on the market now they won't sell one unit. Frankly they would have to make stuff a half generation better to overcome the branding weaknesses. Not gonna happen. Death.

Posted on CB10 using my Z30 STA 100-5 on OS 10.3.2.2204
    coloibarra, jegs2 and dblekberi like this.
    06-11-15 08:44 PM
    Hopefully this would just be to try to attack the consumer market with an android offering and still make bb10 for the die hards. Although I don't understand how it's a good idea to put android on BlackBerry hardware. Who on earth would buy it? Samsung would most likely be involved, which begs the question, what part of that offering would BlackBerry play? So little it would be pointless. I am very skeptical.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 08:47 PM
    I thought this whenever John Chen was uber-hushed in that interview about future plans with apps. I wonder if BB10 will be the new TouchWhiz UI of the phones? I cannot, however, go without the hub!
    Mecca EL and Paul86 like this.
    06-11-15 08:51 PM
    "Considering"? Why aren't these decisions finalized? Blackberry is moving really slowly.

Hopefully this would just be to try to attack the consumer market with an android offering and still make bb10 for the die hards. Although I don't understand how it's a good idea to put android on BlackBerry hardware. Who on earth would buy it?
    Blackberry probably has decided to abandon BB10 regardless of what decision they make.

They can try Android while they have cost saving resources like hardware designs and written down Snapdragon S4s or they can give up on hardware completely and let all those resources go to waste.

The business case (or lack thereof) for Android is irrelevant. On their way out of hardware, why not give it a try? There's not much for Blackberry to lose even if it flops.
    ljfong, Witmen and rai187 like this.
    06-11-15 08:52 PM
    It could be that Sammy is going bb10/qnx based android

Posted via CB10
    Albert Corpuz and toneytone like this.
    06-11-15 08:52 PM
    I call BS.
    Famous last words?

Posted via C5303
    Mecca EL and 1magine like this.
    06-11-15 08:53 PM
    Chen loves partnerships. What if it's a Samsung branded Android slider with touch capactive pkb, actions/shortcuts, the Hub, etc? And what if he keeps BB10 alive as a super secure option (when used with BES12 / Secusmart) for mainly an enterprise / government play for sectors that require that level of security? It puts BB10 on life support, but alive, while he concentrates on software and services.

I love my Passport, and BB10, and could happily live without the runtime and continue to use it as my daily driver. And I'd also be tempted by a touch capactive pkb Android slider from Samsung with the BlackBerry experience and full unfettered access to Android.

Why not both? The idea of Chen dropping serious coin on skinning BB10 to Android seems unlikely considering how overcrowded the market has already become. With the likes of One Plus, Moto, et al offering high spec'd cheap devices I don't see him going that route. But a partnership that could benefit both parties? Oh yeah, I could totally seem him trying that out. And I could see Samsung being willing to give it a shot as well to differentiate themselves in yet another way.
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry considering Android for upcoming handset-thisouldbe.jpeg  
    06-11-15 08:57 PM
    Why would Blackberry run an inferior OS? Yeah I said it...inferior. BB10 in all its variations is way more smooth and crisp vs. Android. Now...if BlackBerry could spend more on Marketing and developer recruiting...that would help

ρō┬Єđ bұ mұ Ů ρÚρōЯ┬.
    06-11-15 09:04 PM
    Let's hope not. But similar things happens all the time. Its a free economy. This may simply be a business decision.*

 Classic
    06-11-15 09:09 PM
    Maybe they'll sell Android Phones with BB10 runtime emulator. LOL
    06-11-15 09:16 PM
    samsung hardware + android OS + blackberry security + microsoft apps - google apps = full of win
    breadfish and rlnv like this.
    06-11-15 09:35 PM
    Why would Blackberry run an inferior OS? Yeah I said it...inferior. BB10 in all its variations is way more smooth and crisp vs. Android. Now...if BlackBerry could spend more on Marketing and developer recruiting...that would help

ρō┬Єđ bұ mұ Ů ρÚρōЯ┬.
    Because they can't make money with the superior OS? This will be the nail in the coffin. Blackberry sales will go to nothing, business customers that stuck with them through their incompetence will leave. However all the regulated markets that had to stick with BlackBerry due to security will be rejoicing and waiting for their iPhones to come in.

Posted via Z30
    06-11-15 09:40 PM
    Because they can't make money with the superior OS? This will be the nail in the coffin. Blackberry sales will go to nothing, business customers that stuck with them through their incompetence will leave. However all the regulated markets that had to stick with BlackBerry due to security will be rejoicing and waiting for their iPhones to come in.

Posted via Z30
    My guess is if BlackBerry goes Android, it will apply some of BB's security strengths in the package. So, business customers who were leary of Android may rethink their position. I think it will provide more opportunities for BB than limiting it. Don't forget, BB does not seem to be winning a lot of high profile business customers these days!
    06-11-15 10:08 PM
    I for one am excited about this. I use a Leap with full access to Google Play and as long as the Hub remains I would buy it. A new BlackBerry 5 inch Samsung Super AMOLED display wit BlackBerry Hub and gesture overlay on Android 5.x.... Yes Sir

Posted via CB10
    meltbox360 likes this.
    06-11-15 10:30 PM
    how about releasing low end Android with BB10 skin and leave BB10 for corporate and high end BB device.
    to me it's make sense, at least low end Android can bring some revenue (+ little profit)
    important thing is with that BB can gain some popularity and it will also help BB10 device.
    ArcPlug and vibhorsingh86 like this.
    BlackBerry 2015 = Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Posted via CB10
    Hey you never know... seeing that android is open source and all these vendors design it their way, maybe BlackBerry will design their own version and increase security at the hardware level to make their android devices more secure than say your average consumer device.

Sure the blackphone tried to do that and failed. I guess we'll see what happens if BlackBerry does it.

But until BlackBerry release that in an official statement, I'll hold my breath.

Cheers
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-11-15 10:31 PM
    Why not?

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    06-11-15 10:37 PM
    BlackBerry isn't stopping BB10 development anytime soon, but they're certainly focusing on the enterprise side of things moving forward. Also, I have good reason to believe that two devices launching later this year, will be running full android. The Oslo (which isn't the silver one that pics leaked of about a month ago, that one is actually codenamed Dallas and will launch with 10.3.2.2xxx at the end of June) is another variation of the Passport. It's all black with rounded corners and supposedly running full Android, with the hub, BBM, and probably contacts and calendar apps baked in, and I would think, access to Google Play Services. I believe this could be Chen's new solution to the app gap that he mentioned not too long ago. And the other device would obviously be the slider, therefore making it pretty much an S6 with a slide out keyboard and the hub, and whatever other BlackBerry apps they want to throw in. I personally think it's a great idea, focus on consumers with Android because it's easier and eliminates the app gap altogether, and leave BB10 for those of us that are more security oriented and don't care whether or not they have Snapchat. Of course I can't prove any of this, and I'm only going on information that I've been told, but I guess time will tell.

This

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2204 | CB Mod
    06-11-15 10:41 PM
    This

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2204 | CB Mod
    Exactly, no? Personally, I'll take both devices, lol. I love BB10 as a daily driver, but I'd also love a full app featured equivalent. Win, win!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-11-15 10:55 PM
    Folks... I think everyone is overreacting. I see things a bit differently, and don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, provided that this is even true.

BlackBerry may have made some bad decisions, but they are not complete idiots. They KNOW they cannot just slap Android on phones and sell them, keyboard or not. That would be suicidal, because if they do that they are competing against all the big Android OEMs AND the small Chinese manufacturers that go for pennies as margins. If this is what they are doing, they might as well shut down the company now and sell off the BES bits to Good or MobileIron. There's zero differentiation.

The only way I see BlackBerry phones using Android is they take AOSP and building it from ground up. Think current BB10 but instead of the QNX core, use AOSP and Dalvik VM in place of that. Port all the Hub, UI design and experience and rebuild it on this custom Android. This is the only way where it can still differentiate itself, and leverage the apps available for Android. So essentially it's the best of both worlds, you get better Android app support as they now run natively instead of the Android player that BlackBerry built, yet you still retain the BlackBerry experience.

So guys relax. I highly doubt this piece of news means we'll start seeing BlackBerries the 3 Android buttons and Google+ pre-installed.
    ptpete, rlnv, Mecca EL and 3 others like this.
    06-11-15 10:55 PM
551 123 ...