01-12-15 03:15 PM
250 ... 45678 ...
tools
    BBM Not for all... after all. Though I do not own a WP, I hate this kind of attitude. Skype should pull its app and make BB to realize its real position in the market.
    BB should pull the current version of the Skype off BB World, it's a terrible port. It makes a mess of your address book because it duplicates contact entries even when you turn the setting to sync with the address book off. And as people stated before, it took them MONTHS to make the port.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-19-14 06:58 PM
    talking about the OP

I think blackberry should develop BBM for windows phone, firstly because they want a cross platform, and also because Windows phone market share is growing every day, sooner or later it will be worth it, and Blackberry would have to end up developing.

So I think BBM should be developed to WP8 even if that represents a loss for Blackberry at the moment, but BBM has to cover the disvantages that it has to whatsapp, so that it becomes even more an alternative IM service
    01-19-14 07:02 PM
    want a BBM app?? Go with Blackberry then. SImple.
    01-19-14 07:15 PM
    want a BBM app?? Go with Blackberry then. SImple.
    Sounds good, but, it work more like "want BBM app?... don't bother, use whatsapp instead".... this is how it works instead in real life
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-19-14 07:17 PM
    Sounds good, but, it work more like "want BBM app?... don't bother, use whatsapp instead".... this is how it works instead in real life
    BB should pull the current version of the Skype off BB World, it's a terrible port. It makes a mess of your address book because it duplicates contact entries even when you turn the setting to sync with the address book off. And as people stated before, it took them MONTHS to make the port.
    When in reality you could do it in a day. They didn't fix anything for BB10 they changed a couple lines of code and put it in Bb World. Which is why I don't get why other big name apps don't do the same for now until they see how many downloads they get. I haven't seen any updates from Skype except when they updated the android app then changed the 2 lines of code again. When Blackberry will have to make a whole new app when it feels like people with WP phones don't care about it.

The guys from BBM in the CES 2014
    BBM for Android and iPhone 2.0 Shown Off At CES 2014
    As he stated near the end. The people who asked for BBM owned android/iphones. If people there is a reasonable amount of people asking for BBM on WP then they will develop an app for them. Just like when people of BB10 begged for skype for months even before the BB10 phone release. Obviously the people who own WP phones don't care about BBM.
    01-19-14 07:22 PM
    Lol you think I am a delusional BlackBerry fan? It is to little too late for bb10 and way to little too late for WP.
    Yes. Simply look at your second sentence about Windows Phone being "way too little too late" vs. BB10 merely being "too little too late". What does that even mean?

Are you aware that Windows Phone debuted over a YEAR before BB10? And WP8 around 6 months? By this literal definition, Windows Phone is earlier than BB10 and BB10 is later than Windows Phone.

Or maybe you are trying to imply that BB10 has a better adoption trajectory than Window Phone? Are you aware WP8 currently has MULTIPLE times the userbase of BB10? And that BB10's launch is WORSE than WP7? And that BB10 sales have declined significant quarter over quarter, something that never happened with Windows Phone?

Almost all the criticism of Windows Phone in this thread is multiple times more true for BB10 than Windows Phone. That's because most are regarding Windows Phone's marketshare and BB10 and Windows Phone are not even in the same league. BB10's size is to Windows Phone's size as Windows Phone's size is to iPhone's size.
    01-19-14 07:54 PM
    BBM Not for all... after all. Though I do not own a WP, I hate this kind of attitude. Skype should pull its app and make BB to realize its real position in the market.
    Lol!! Skype should pull what app? That crap that's on BBW? How long has that thing been in beta or whatever?
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-19-14 11:06 PM
    Don't bother about this thread, it's totally out of contexts with people who just read or heard part of the interview. BBM is coming to Windows phone when it is coming to Windows Desktop. This was just to work more efficiently. If I'm head of BBM I would definitely do the same.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 12:58 AM
    Lol!! Skype should pull what app? That crap that's on BBW? How long has that thing been in beta or whatever?
    I lol'ed like you did when I saw that post lol

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 03:30 AM
    The "(for now)" is really accurate in the title. And I believe we could read it as in : "BBM will come to WP8 as soon as there will be enough users to justify the investment". Quite the same ... actually different wording that turns the meaning to the opposite.

Given the current WP8 rapid growth and Chen's "horizontal" vision, I take it as a "sooner than later" statement.
    But I may be wearing my rosy glasses again ?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-20-14 07:02 AM
    So BlackBerry itself is adopting the attitude most big name developers hold against BlackBerry for being not worth the effort. How disappointing.
    They have the same problem as the big name developers - finite resources and a lot of work. Windows Phone is still a small market. If it gets bigger, I'm sure it will appear.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-20-14 09:32 AM
    Y That's because most are regarding Windows Phone's marketshare and BB10 and Windows Phone are not even in the same league. BB10's size is to Windows Phone's size as Windows Phone's size is to iPhone's size.
    That's probably pushing it . There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of millions of iOS devices in use. Is Windows Phone even at 40 million active users yet? Not suggesting BB10 is some resounding success (it isn't) but Windows Phone is extremely small, with one partner essentially doing almost all the sales.

I like Windows Phone fine, but it has many of the exact same problems as BlackBerry 10, albeit to a lesser degree. And it has fanboys with rose colored glasses just like BlackBerry 10. Aka:

"Windows Phone has the highest growth in mobile right now". That's because it's starting from a much smaller base than iOS and Android.

"Windows Phone has many partners". Sure ... too bad only Nokia seems to give any kind of a crap about it and now makes up 90% of the installed base because no one else cares.

"Windows Phone has massive growth in certain markets". Sure - and it's tanking badly in others.

The user base is sadly small still overall. Even though I like the platform and they've done a good job filling in many of the big apps
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 01-20-14 at 09:47 AM.
    01-20-14 09:34 AM
    Don't bother about this thread, it's totally out of contexts with people who just read or heard part of the interview. BBM is coming to Windows phone when it is coming to Windows Desktop. This was just to work more efficiently. If I'm head of BBM I would definitely do the same.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe, maybe not. There has been some talk of bringing BBM to LINK. Why do that, if you are going to make an app that will work on the OS instead?

I'm sure that BlackBerry would love to dedicate a team to working with Windows8. But what would it cost them, with as of right now 0 return on investment. Believe it or not, the ship is sinking and they have tough choices to make in order to try and keep it afloat. As the marketshare leaders Android and iOS are getting their full attention. If they manage to make BBM a major messaging app again and it starts bring in revenues, and they can then afford to direct resources.... Windows will get BBM.
    01-20-14 10:08 AM
    It would be nice to see it in Windows. From desktop to phone, from tablet to PS4. BBM had great potential all across. Chatting on PS4 with BBM while playing a game....awesome though just a dream.

Fixed that for you lol
    01-20-14 10:38 AM
    It seems BlackBerry has no Plan to bring BBM to WP. I think I have to switch to another Messaging app. I use Lumia 1520 and Z10 and i only carry the Z10 because I use BBM. It's annoying to carry 2 phones. I will sell my Z10 and switch to another Services. Very sad.

Windows Phone Still Not Worthy Of BBM According To BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Why sell the Z10? Why not the Lumina?
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-20-14 11:53 AM
    Why sell the Z10? Why not the Lumina?
    Oh, maybe because every review of the Lumia 1520 I've seen says its the best WinPhone8 device by a long way (though some think the Full-HD 1920x1080 screen might be a little too big at 6")... the Z10 meanwhile, is a year-old device that needs a leaked OS installed to make it reach par.

But, that's just my opinion of course. Your mileage may differ.

Back on topic: I tend to agree with other posters that in the real world what is likely to happen is groups will adopt an IM client that is available across all platforms. And that won't be BBM now. The suggestion that people will be "forced" into using a cheap Android handset so that everyone can use BBM is just ridiculous and unreasonable - and I have a higher opinion of most folks inherent "agreeableness" than to expect anyone to be expected to switch platform for the sake of an IM.

Still, it's BB's loss more than Microsoft's. It's not like WinPhone is short of IM choices that are common across multiple platforms.
    anon1727506 and _dimi_ like this.
    01-20-14 12:39 PM
    Hurry up an sell it already, didn't get a blackberry knowing they'll release bbm to apple and android which was not a good move because now it gives igits like some reason to ***** cause it not on your preferred device.
    But it is available on my preferred device.
    01-20-14 12:55 PM
    NO.

This is awful.

I have always loved the Nokia Lumia series. I wanted to upgrade - if I ever decided to leave BlackBerry, which I don't plan to for at least another year and-a-half - to a 920. But if they will never or at least not get BBM for a long time, then I will not switch to Windows. This is extremely disappointing. Just because "most" people own big-name devices like the iPhone and Android, doesn't mean that WP users won't want to use BBM. How did BlackBerry come to this decision? Did they sample a lot of WP users? Did they look at WP users' past platforms, seeing if they had used BBM or BlackBerry in the past? I think BlackBerry needs to get more researchers out there to do ground-level work, to see what the stats really are. As a social sciences grad, I definitely know that stats tell a different story. For example, if someone just says, "75% of people use iPhone" (just a random stat I made up), then you have to in turn understand that 25% - 1/4 of the sample studied - did NOT use an iPhone; that some variables were missed in the study, therefore skewing the stats; that the stats only represented a VERY small sample of the population; these stats can't be generalized; etc. BlackBerry can't leave things like this. If they want consumers, Apple and Google to take them seriously as a smartphone competitor, then why are they suddenly delivering the same grief to Windows?

Just a question: A few days ago, I sent a direct message to @BlackBerryHelp on Twitter to ask who I could send an email to regarding BBM for Windows. They never responded. Does anyone know where and to whom I can send an email regarding this? If no one speaks out against this, then nothing will change. Yes, it's a small issue compared to what's really important in the world; but still, I'd like to email somebody about this.
    01-20-14 01:15 PM
    If you want bbm buy a blackberry.
    Why should blackberry release bbm for every device present and future when they have their own devices that you can just buy at anytime to gain the bbm functionality.
    01-20-14 01:31 PM
    Why should blackberry release bbm for every device present and future when they have their own devices that you can just buy at anytime to gain the bbm functionality.
    That's one way to look at it, but with the current market splits and BBRY's assumed push to be more of a cross-platform oriented company, who does the absence hurt more: BBRY or MSFT? I think it's the former.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-20-14 01:45 PM
    Because BlackBerry's aren't selling and they want to make some money by selling a cross platform bbm.
    Is that too hard to understand?

Posted via SwiftKey / htc one
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-20-14 01:49 PM
    Why don't they make an app for Windows phone and charge them 1$ for the download. Here's an amazing opportunity to make a bit of money out of BBM.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 02:30 PM
    They have the same problem as the big name developers - finite resources and a lot of work. Windows Phone is still a small market. If it gets bigger, I'm sure it will appear.
    Given that WP is 8% worldwide and growing it's not small and insignificant.

BTW did you know whatsapp has 45 employees? Blackberry has 4500+...

01-20-14 02:36 PM
    Given that WP is 8% worldwide and growing it's not small and insignificant.

BTW did you know whatsapp has 45 employees? Blackberry has 4500+...

LOL Wait, BlackBerry has 4500+ working in the BBM team? Wow nice man, do yourself a favour, use your htc one to google that

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 03:29 PM

Mobile Nations, as well as WIRED magazine, both had teams at the recent CES, and both mentioned how BBM was not an option for them to correspond because some of the participants were using WP devices.
    Wasn't the issue more that Google Hangouts was the right tool for their correspondence and it wasn't on BlackBerry? I seem to remember that being mentioned on the podcasts.

What about companies that support multiple platforms within their network? Do you think they're going to opt for BBM when there are employees sporting WP devices?
    Are there massive deployments of Windows Phone anywhere in corporations yet?I've seen a few anecdotal announcements but anything I've seen for corporate liable or personal liable scenarios suggests it's almost unheard of. Surprising given Microsoft's corporate roots to be honest!
    01-20-14 03:52 PM
250 ... 45678 ...