01-12-15 03:15 PM
250 ... 23456 ...
tools
    , but BlackBerry would be stupid if it builds an app for WP now and put and resources into a platform with way less users than IOS and Android, I mean if you want to blame BlackBerry for not developing BBM for WP, then you should also blame Microsoft for not making Skype for BlackBerry, even though Microsoft has a lot more money and resources to develop than BlackBerry has.
    It's not about money and resources, it's all to do with return on investment.

Microsoft see little ROI in developing Skype as a native BB10 App given BB's small (and diminishing) share of the market. I'd hazard a guess that BB have come to the same conclusion over BBM on WinPhone... The ROI isn't there. I could chuckle at the irony of BB using another platform's lack of market-share to justify not developing an App given their attempts to persuade Devs to produce BB10 Apps, but I don't disagree with BB's decision or blame BB for making (IMO) a sound business decision.

Though, I'm unsure how it helps BBM be perceived as a cross-platform alternative to the very, very large number of other Apps that *are* available on all platforms.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 01-19-14 at 09:27 AM.
    maxknux likes this.
    01-19-14 09:13 AM
    Let's not forget BBM for WebOS and Symbian. We don't want to leave those guys out!

Get real, if Netflix with their vast resources cannot prioritize an app for BB10 then why would you expect a struggling company to develop for a platform whose only existence is by virtue of Microsoft throwing untold sums of money at it?
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-19-14 10:07 AM
    It's not about money and resources, it's all to do with return on investment.

Microsoft see little ROI in developing Skype as a native BB10 App given BB's small (and diminishing) share of the market. I'd hazard a guess that BB have come to the same conclusion over BBM on WinPhone... The ROI isn't there. I could chuckle at the irony of BB using another platform's lack of market-share to justify not developing an App given their attempts to persuade Devs to produce BB10 Apps, but I don't disagree with BB's decision or blame BB for making (IMO) a sound business decision.

Though, I'm unsure how it helps BBM be perceived as a cross-platform alternative to the very, very large number of other Apps that *are* available on all platforms.
    I'm pretty sure it's about money and resources, you need those to build an app.

I find it really funny that you say "BB's small (and diminishing) share of the market." seriously? Can you please enlight me with WPs share of thr market? Some WP users started to forget that WP is still almost non existing, just because they got Instagram and subway surfer doesn't make them anything.

Posted via CB10
    notafanboy likes this.
    01-19-14 10:23 AM
    Let's not forget BBM for WebOS and Symbian. We don't want to leave those guys out!

Get real, if Netflix with their vast resources cannot prioritize an app for BB10 then why would you expect a struggling company to develop for a platform whose only existence is by virtue of Microsoft throwing untold sums of money at it?
    Heh-heh, if that was aimed at me, I reckon you may have missed your target. As I've said above, other than an ironic chuckle at BB's use of the market-share excuse, I agree with BB's decision not to develop BBM for WinPhone. Also, Microsoft's untold sums of money thrown at WinPhone seem to be paying off given their steadily increasing market-share.

Embracing reality has never been a problem for me, I'm one of the Negative Nancies apparently.
    maxknux likes this.
    01-19-14 10:28 AM
    I think it's a mistake to ignore BBM for Windows Phone like this. Yes, at the moment WP has only a single digit percentage of marketshare around the globe, which makes it somehow reasonable to ignore it for now. However, Windows Phone sales are growing, in some places sales of WP devices managed to achieve rank 2 between Android and iOS back last year.
    BBM competes in an already very crowded business, especially for end-consumers, and fails to support the third largest and rather fast growing plattform. For a x-plattform messager like BBM, it's a real downside.

We just learned about that when Kevin wrote his article about their CES communication methods: They considered BBM, yet couldn't use it because the Windows Phone guys couldn't even install it. For end-consumers it's the same: Why bother with BBM at all when some of your contacts, using Windows Phone, can't install it? They're going for WhatsApp or other altnernatives instead. And I doubt many people are going to use multiple of those messagers.

On a different note, my personal BBM4all conversation rate is sad: Zero. Nobody was interested, the two people who actually wanted to give it a try were actually turned-off by the fact it's not available for WP and some of their close friends just got WP devices. The others thought BBM wouldn't be necessay, especially because WhatsApp is a no-brainer to use or simply didn't understand why they should try it if their current systems are working well.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-19-14 10:34 AM
    I'm pretty sure it's about money and resources, you need those to build an app.

I find it really funny that you say "BB's small (and diminishing) share of the market." seriously? Can you please enlight me with WPs share of thr market? Some WP users started to forget that WP is still almost non existing, just because they got Instagram and subway surfer doesn't make them anything.

Posted via CB10
    No, it's ROI that counts. If it was just money and resources that mattered in the decision to not bring native Skype to BB10, it would be here already. Do you really believe Microsoft to be short of either? Though I'll grant that money and resources may be a factor in BB's decision.

According to the Kantar numbers quoted in this article, WinPhone had over 10% of the market last quarter. I won't quote Kantar's BB figures (which are anyway largely made up of legacy device sales) as I'm sure you would take it personally.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12..._market_share/

Reality. I recommend it... Makes the world much more understandable.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 01-19-14 at 10:51 AM.
    01-19-14 10:40 AM
    Blackberry has Very Limited resources!

They are having problems with features for BB10 and they have been working on it for four years now. BBMx was first released ( for a few hours) almost six months ago, yet it is unusable for most iOS users.

I'm sure they would love a Windows version, but that would divert attention from current projects that are in the need of attention.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-19-14 10:49 AM
    No, it's ROI that counts. If it was just money and resources that mattered in the decision to not bring native Skype to BB10, it would be here already. Do you really believe Microsoft to be short of either? Though I'll grant that money and resources may be a factor in BB's decision.

According to the Kantar numbers quoted in this article, WinPhone had over 10% of the market last quarter. I won't quote Kantar's BB figures as I'm sure you would take it personally.

Fair points.

I think it hurts both platforms, but BB10 more. The sooner xBBM is truly an option for more smartphone users, the more mindshare it gets.

BBRY needs mindshare.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-19-14 10:52 AM
    I think it's a mistake to ignore BBM for Windows Phone like this. Yes, at the moment WP has only a single digit percentage of marketshare around the globe, which makes it somehow reasonable to ignore it for now. However, Windows Phone sales are growing, in some places sales of WP devices managed to achieve rank 2 between Android and iOS back last year.
    BBM competes in an already very crowded business, especially for end-consumers, and fails to support the third largest and rather fast growing plattform. For a x-plattform messager like BBM, it's a real downside.

We just learned about that when Kevin wrote his article about their CES communication methods: They considered BBM, yet couldn't use it because the Windows Phone guys couldn't even install it. For end-consumers it's the same: Why bother with BBM at all when some of your contacts, using Windows Phone, can't install it? They're going for WhatsApp or other altnernatives instead. And I doubt many people are going to use multiple of those messagers.

On a different note, my personal BBM4all conversation rate is sad: Zero. Nobody was interested, the two people who actually wanted to give it a try were actually turned-off by the fact it's not available for WP and some of their close friends just got WP devices. The others thought BBM wouldn't be necessay, especially because WhatsApp is a no-brainer to use or simply didn't understand why they should try it if their current systems are working well.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    LOL, that could be the case if all your friends use a WP, I've only seen 2 people with WP in my entire life, yeah I travel between countries, but when most of your friends are IOS and Android users no one will really care about WP and the fact that it's not getting BBM.

You say 3rd largest platform like there are 70 platforms out there, there are only 6 ( not sure) so yeah 3rd largest platform with a market share less than 5%.

Posted via CB10
    notafanboy likes this.
    01-19-14 11:03 AM

According to the Kantar numbers quoted in this article, WinPhone had over 10% of the market last quarter. I won't quote Kantar's BB figures (which are anyway largely made up of legacy device sales) as I'm sure you would take it personally.

10% ? LOL, I think you should check a reliable source.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 11:05 AM
    Blackberry has Very Limited resources!

They are having problems with features for BB10 and they have been working on it for four years now. BBMx was first released ( for a few hours) almost six months ago, yet it is unusable for most iOS users.

I'm sure they would love a Windows version, but that would divert attention from current projects that are in the need of attention.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't go for the word "most".

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 11:07 AM
    It's well known that they have 10%
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-19-14 11:15 AM
    In what way is that a good strategy?? The only thing it's gonna do is that it's gonna harm BBM more than WP. It's like saying BB doesn't have any plans to develop a OS X app of BBM because of user demand and market share.
    Pardon my English, but I think what BlackBerry is trying to do here is to develop for Windows Desktop & when that happens it will automatically be avaliable for WP as they both are essentially the same OS. That us why I say it is a good strategy.

So in other words they are saying that they are not going to spend resources at the moment to develop a dedicated version for Windows 8 phones. Once they develop a version for Windows 8, Phones running on Windows 8 can use it.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 11:16 AM
    The Skype app they toke months to...port? not develop a native...but port

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    Yet, it's there. Yet BBM is AWOL on WP8.

Your point?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-19-14 11:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    You could keep laughing, or you could google "windows phone market share" as I did. Pick any of the results, they all tell the same story.

From what I could see, the WinPhone market share seems to be between around 5-10% globally. It's 11.4% in the UK apparently.

BB's market share is smaller. And is largely composed of legacy device sales, which are outselling BB10 devices by three to one (according to BB's own Earnings Report). Hmmmm... what's one-quarter of a very small percentage...?

Like I say, reality bites!
    Last edited by JeepBB; 01-19-14 at 11:40 AM.
    01-19-14 11:21 AM
    Yet, it's there. Yet BBM is AWOL on WP8.

Your point?

They took their time to bring it. And still it lacks quality. It's useable,but lacks quality.

So what if BlackBerry to take their time now, it's only been what? 2-3 months since bbm been on ios/android.

But, This is where I take my leave, enjoy the discussion folks!

Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-19-14 11:26 AM
    They took their time to bring it. And still it lacks quality. It's useable,but lacks quality.

So what if BlackBerry to take their time now, it's only been what? 2-3 months since bbm been on ios/android.

But, This is where I take my leave, enjoy the discussion folks!

It's there. Period.

BBM is AWOL on WP8. Period. No quality, and not usable - at all.

That's what matters.

Skype on Android is worse quality than the iOS version but at least it's there and it works. That matters first and foremost.

I could say the same about the quality of BBM on Android that you said about Skype on BB10.

Stop the excuses.

Love hearing people cry about "Hub Integration" when BBM on Android doesn't integrate with Anything (Gallery, Contacts, Calendar, Google Now, etc.) where the APIs exist (and have existed for years).

JeepBB, arvind1983 and Acidwire like this.
    01-19-14 11:27 AM
    BBM: BB10, iOS & Android
    Hangouts: Android & iOS
    iMessage: iOS

BBM has the widest support so far... and last time I heard, Chen said support for WP coming soon...
    01-19-14 11:30 AM
    Pardon my English, but I think what BlackBerry is trying to do here is to develop for Windows Desktop & when that happens it will automatically be avaliable for WP as they both are essentially the same OS. That us why I say it is a good strategy.

So in other words they are saying that they are not going to spend resources at the moment to develop a dedicated version for Windows 8 phones. Once they develop a version for Windows 8, Phones running on Windows 8 can use it.

Posted via CB10
    The desktop app they showed was a bridge app, which is terrible and requires you to have a BBM capable smartphone to run it.

That wouldn't solve any issues.

arvind1983 likes this.
    01-19-14 11:30 AM

BBM has the widest support so far... and last time I heard, Chen said support for WP coming soon...
    Facebook Messenger
    ChatOn
    Viber
    Kik

Don't pick and choose.

01-19-14 11:35 AM

Erm, WhatsApp, Skype, Viber... don't they have wider cross-platform support than any of those you quoted... And vastly more users too!
    01-19-14 11:36 AM
    Facebook Messenger
    WhatsApp
    ChatOn
    Viber
    Kik

Don't pick and choose.

WhatsApp - Okay, I forgot that one for sure
    ChatOn - Lame, and not popular, even with default install on Samsung devices
    Viber - I guess if you miss PTT, simple voice message or phone call will do
    Kik - Still relevant? Ok...
    01-19-14 11:38 AM
    WhatsApp - Okay, I forgot that one for sure
    ChatOn - Lame, and not popular, even with default install on Samsung devices
    Viber - I guess if you miss PTT, simple voice message or phone call will do
    Kik - Still relevant? Ok...
    I forgot Skype.

ChatOn has as many users as BBM. Lame is your opinion. It's very popular in court tries like France and I. Some emerging markets. It has one of the most Co. Please feature sets in the messaging market.

Viber is popular. You don't need Viber for PTT. A ton of the others support that.

Kik has about as many users as BBM, and is very popular on WP8.

I added in Skype. You don't wanna comment on FB Messenger which has more active users than even WhatsApp? :-P

JeepBB and arvind1983 like this.
    01-19-14 11:40 AM
    I forgot Skype.

ChatOn has as many users as BBM.

Viber is popular.

Kik has about as many users as BBM, and is very popular on WP8.

I added in Skype. You don't wanna comment on FB Messenger which has more active users than even WhatsApp? :-P

Well if the OP doesn't want to use BBM, we can agree he has other options?
    Cool bro? lol
    01-19-14 11:41 AM
    LOL, that could be the case if all your friends use a WP, I've only seen 2 people with WP in my entire life, yeah I travel between countries, but when most of your friends are IOS and Android users no one will really care about WP and the fact that it's not getting BBM.
    When most of your friends are IOS and Android users, then it's only you that doesn't care. Just because you may not have friends using WP, does not mean many others don't.

Mobile Nations, as well as WIRED magazine, both had teams at the recent CES, and both mentioned how BBM was not an option for them to correspond because some of the participants were using WP devices. Do you really think those two instances were an anomaly? What about companies that support multiple platforms within their network? Do you think they're going to opt for BBM when there are employees sporting WP devices?

If BBRY wants BBM to become the go-to service for mobile messaging, they shouldn't just base a decision to not support WP because they don't see a demand from enough WP users. They also have to recognize that for every WP user that doesn't have BBM, there's a potential that it could result in 10x - 100x that number of iOS and Android users who choose not to use it as a result so that their correspondence will accommodate that minority of contacts using WP.
    01-19-14 11:42 AM
250 ... 23456 ...