01-12-15 03:15 PM
250 ... 8910
tools
    IMO BlackBerry is not trying to succeed with BBM in the consumer market. They aren't investing in promoting the service, although competitors are investing heavily, even using tv ads.

I think BlackBerry is going to use BBM in their enterprise solution and let the consumer part of the service die.

But even if they aren't investing to expand the user base, if BES10 fails, they can still sell BBM to a competitor and make some money from current the 80m users.
    01-23-14 11:11 PM
    Sadly, because I agree with you, I reckon its already too late to break the duopoly.
    I'm not sure there is room for more than two in mobile... any number 3 will overtime hope to become #2... but that simply establishes another different duopoly.
    #3 and #4 position is an irrelevant competition in terms of interest except that #3 is closer to gaining the real prize of replacing one of the duopoly
    JBB
    I'm not sure it'll last. In fact, I bet it won't.
    See what's happening in China, similar to car manufacturers' history (I don't make a straight //, just illustration).
    "Never say never".
    01-24-14 03:45 AM
    That's BS. This article proves you wrong: Here Are 24 Countries Where Windows Phone Outsells The iPhone (And Why It Does) - Forbes

WP is outselling the iphone in Egypt which means it is way more popular than BB. So there you go. End of discussion.
    Now that is the BS!!! Don't tell me what outsells what in the place I live, you haven't even seen anything so please keep the info fot yourself, iPhone is the 2nd most used phone in Egypt!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Thesmartmale; 01-24-14 at 09:15 AM.
    01-24-14 04:42 AM
    IMO BlackBerry is not trying to succeed with BBM in the consumer market. They aren't investing in promoting the service, although competitors are investing heavily, even using tv ads.

I think BlackBerry is going to use BBM in their enterprise solution and let the consumer part of the service die.

But even if they aren't investing to expand the user base, if BES10 fails, they can still sell BBM to a competitor and make some money from current the 80m users.
    Not promoting? They have vans everywhere in the U.S, they had T.V ads, never saw one ad for whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 04:44 AM
    I just think they should have released BBMx on all three platforms during the re-release. WhatsApp came on board in the very early days of BlackBerry 10 when it had near zero market share. And they operate with a staff of 30 people.

The BlackBerry's strained resources and WP's low market share arguments are getting kind of old.
    Did whatsapp launch on 4 platforms when it first started? Whatsapp on IOS and Android is already stable so yeah they have all the time to make an app for any platform.

Make a right comparison or don't compare at all!

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 04:48 AM
    Did whatsapp launch on 4 platforms when it first started? Whatsapp on IOS and Android is already stable so yeah they have all the time to make an app for any platform.

Make a right comparison or don't compare at all!

Posted via CB10

whatsapp came out in 2009, so 2 out of the 4 mobile platforms didn't even exist then. Unfair comparison.
    01-24-14 08:01 AM
    Now that is the BS!!! Don't tell me what outsells what in the place I live, you haven't even seen anything so please keep the info fot yourself, iPhone is the 2nd most used phone in Egypt!

Posted via CB10
    Statistics proved you wrong yet you are still trying to convince people you are right? Good luck. You will only end up looking like a fool. Keep believing what you want to believe. Your unreliable observations don't mean ANYTHING.
    pankaler, avt123, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    01-24-14 03:07 PM
    Did whatsapp launch on 4 platforms when it first started?
    That's not what I was comparing. I'm referring to the here and now.

WhatsApp supports about a dozen mobile operating system versions in total, compared to 3 for BBMx. BlackBerry is moving way too slowly.
    propeller10 likes this.
    01-24-14 07:09 PM
    Whatsapp on IOS and Android is already stable so yeah they have all the time to make an app for any platform.
    Are you saying BlackBerry released a half baked version of BBM cross platform?
    propeller10 and JeepBB like this.
    01-24-14 07:15 PM
    It would be nice to see it in Windows. From desktop to phone, from tablet to Xbox. BBM had great potential all across. Chatting on Xbox with BBM while playing a game....awesome though just a dream.
    This would be awesome
    01-24-14 07:28 PM
    That's not what I was comparing. I'm referring to the here and now.

WhatsApp supports about a dozen mobile operating system versions in total, compared to 3 for BBMx. BlackBerry is moving way too slowly.
    You do you know that you can't compare them this way right? But whatever this whole thread is a joke.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 06:14 AM
    Are you saying BlackBerry released a half baked version of BBM cross platform?
    No BlackBerry released an app that contains bugs just like any app released in it's first version, when whatsapp was new there were tons of bugs, but you wouldn't notice that of course because you don't want to or maybe because you didn't have a phone back then.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 06:17 AM
    but you wouldn't notice that of course because you don't want to or maybe because you didn't have a phone back then.
    Lol I've used a smart phone since the days the days my carrier started offering one.
    01-25-14 08:22 AM
    I don't buy this "not enough demand" thing at all. Either BB is terrible at measuring demand or they're just being petty by not giving it to WP because Microsoft is their competition. I mean, look at WP's uservoice page where BBM for WP has over 40,000 votes (which is more than a lot of imo more important features) http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/fo...ows-phone-7-5-

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk
    01-26-14 02:10 PM
    To be honest, i am not longer waiting for BBM. Telegram has confirmed they will Launch the WP App Feb. 1. Its the fastest and very secure Messenger. Its free and will be always free. No ADs and has the Self-Destroy feature. I have no reason to wait for BBM.

Lumia 1620
    01-26-14 04:29 PM
    I love civil and good debates, but this thread has veered off-course, IMO. Could we please get back on-topic? Has anyone heard any new news about BBM for Windows?

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 05:12 PM
    I wouldn't take wp market share to heart from what has been reported the only phone that is really selling are the low end 520 line. These low end phones shouldn't even count because people that buy them are usually people that use the phone more like a feature phone.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-26-14 10:32 PM
    I wouldn't take wp market share to heart from what has been reported the only phone that is really selling are the low end 520 line. These low end phones shouldn't even count because people that buy them are usually people that use the phone more like a feature phone.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. Yes, I'm sure more of the cheaper models are sold than high-end WP (isn't that true for all platforms?), but sales of WP are good across the range.

In fact, maybe the cheap WP should count double?

The folk on a budget who might buy more of those cheap phones are more likely to use a free IM instead of paying for an expensive dataplan.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 01-28-14 at 11:33 AM.
    kbz1960 and propeller10 like this.
    01-28-14 03:32 AM
    As a ex-BlackBerry Bold 9900 User who moved to Nokia Lumia 925.

I would love to see BBM be on Windows Phone and Windows Store to use on my Laptop and phone.

I also see the reason of lack of BBM not a good one based on market share.

As for IM Networks on Windows Phone:
    Whatsapp
    Viber
    LINE
    ChatOn
    Kik Messenger
    Groupme
    Wechat and QQ
    Nimbuzz
    Voxer
    Facebook
    Twitter

Finally of course Skype.

On the business Side Lync 2010 & 2013, Cisco web meetings

What I hate is restricted networks.

Apple:iMessage for iOS and Mac
    Google: Hangout (aka GTalk) for Android, iOS, and Chrome (no desktop app or Windows Store app)
    Old GTalk supports BB7, Desktop, via AIM, via Outlook.com
    BBM: Finally expanding but only to Andriod, iOS, BlackBerry (no desktop app or Windows Phone/ Windows Store App)
    Microsoft: Skype is on Windows Phone / Windows Store; Desktops of PC & Mac; Android; iOS; via Outlook.com, Xbox, Playstation Vita; Kindle Fire HD; and finally a bad port Skype on BlackBerry 10 which is Android app not native to BB10.

You can see only apps that are truly cross platform are Skype, Viber, ChatOn, LINE, ICQ, and Facebook & Twitter.

You would think it would be important to at least build a app for Windows Phone because other apps might gain more users then whats the point of using BBM. I used to use BBM but as the userbase went down it kind of was less enjoyable. Here is hoping they can change their minds.
    kbz1960 and Thesmartmale like this.
    01-28-14 09:21 AM
    whatsapp came out in 2009, so 2 out of the 4 mobile platforms didn't even exist then. Unfair comparison.
    You are wrong, when WhatsApp came out it was only for iOS. There were already BBOS & Android at that time. They did not provide WhatsApp for Android or BBOS until 1 or 2 years later.

Posted via CB10
    nemo7 and Thesmartmale like this.
    02-02-14 12:03 AM
    You are wrong, when WhatsApp came out it was only for iOS. There were already BBOS & Android at that time. They did not provide WhatsApp for Android or BBOS until 1 or 2 years later.

Posted via CB10
    You asked if Whatsapp launched on 4 mobile platforms at once and I said no. Whatsapp was also a startup, not a billion dollar business. Nothing I said was wrong. I'm not sure what your point is though, you asked if Whatsapp was on 4 mobile platforms at and I said that 2 of the 4 platforms didn't exist. What does that have to do with with if it was on ios first or not when there were only 2 major platforms at the time. Regardless, its pretty and childish to not at least put something on WP, otherwise they're telling a lie by saying "BBM for all".

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, kbz1960 and Etios like this.
    02-02-14 10:05 PM
    Nobody would miss it anyway.

WP has the largest user base in Europe, in some countries way over 10%, super popular as entry models! Dual sim, robust and fast hardware, all the mainstream apps like spotify, facebook, skype have great clients.

People in europe either use facebook messengar, or sometimes whatsapp, or just sms directly.

I have zero knowledge of anybody to use bbm, or even twitter. Different usage patterns. And people mostly have gmail accounts for private use.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:34 PM
    The issue with whatsapp is that messages are offline, and cannot be transferred from one platform to the other.

Years of whatsapp chat history with photos, addresses, data, are locked into my old nokia phone.

Facebook messenger was a clever move, it's accessible directly also on the desktop.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:36 PM
    HOLY NECROMANCY BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!! This is a year old thread!!!!!!!!

Should mods lock it considering that BBM IS on Windows Phones???? I'll report myself....er.....yah.....
    eldricho likes this.
    01-12-15 02:54 PM
    As BBM is already on WP, this is now a moot point.

Closed
    01-12-15 03:15 PM
250 ... 8910