05-10-15 11:27 AM
56 123
tools
    $150 million...likely one of RIM's bigger acquisitions...down the drain.
    MarsupilamiX and Tatwi like this.
    04-27-15 09:34 PM
    Even if they didn't, it'd be on a product manager to provide those details or to expose the importance of it. So I'm not sure it's fair to blame them. I think getting BB10 out the door was more important to them than tackling the impossible task of replicating every feature and detail from the legacy OS at launch. BB10 has come a long way but as you said there are still some things missing compared to BBOS (although it also has a lot BBOS never had).
    That was a huge mistake. Leaving critical features was one of the reasons people held off upgrading legacy devices. And it forms a perception right at the start. All too often, that first impression is not revised, so when time comes to upgrade that legacy device, what you remember from BB10 was that it was inadequate. And that makes looking at other devices a lot easier.
    04-28-15 11:55 AM
    Most said it better than I can. I bought the PlayBook and saw the TAT demos. Really not much came out of all that. It was a bit of a waste, therefore I don't see much of a downside. It is a sunk cost I guess.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 05:33 PM
    I remember the cool TAT apps for the playbook being shown at various shows. Not sure if they ever saw the light of day.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-01-15 01:43 PM
    Clearly this is another casualty of the Blackberry enterprise focus.

TAT gave us some neat UI's and graphics that were never deployed because in practical use cases, they were more "in the way" than actually useful. The consumer market is being left to one player that makes huge money and the many other players who are either producing large numbers of devices at no profit or very few devices at high prices, again not making any money.

I think with Chen, he has a "follow the profit" approach and will be releasing only products that stand a good chance of enhancing revenues and will abandon those internal entities that just add to overheads. TAT will never create an enterprise product that make the user experience more efficient, just more entertaining.

As a long suffering shareholder, I can only support this rationalization.
    Where I live, enterprise and government are embracing iOS like crazy and Android more so than BlackBerry 10. Chen's approach is really just to sell mobile phone management software like BES to big companies that just have money to burn on something they don't really need. That's fine, but it'll never return BlackBerry to greatness... just potentially mild profitability if he shrinks the company enough.

Let's contrast this with an offer from Mike L. and Qualcomm to kick *** and rule the world. Yes, the board stupidly chose to go with Chen, and now it's hard to see your stock price ever reaching the point it was at when BB10 launched. It makes sense for the market to value a play at competing in the platform wars more than Chen's refusal to compete.
    05-09-15 02:28 PM
    Where I live, enterprise and government are embracing iOS like crazy and Android more so than BlackBerry 10. Chen's approach is really just to sell mobile phone management software like BES to big companies that just have money to burn on something they don't really need. That's fine, but it'll never return BlackBerry to greatness... just potentially mild profitability if he shrinks the company enough.

Let's contrast this with an offer from Mike L. and Qualcomm to kick *** and rule the world. Yes, the board stupidly chose to go with Chen, and now it's hard to see your stock price ever reaching the point it was at when BB10 launched. It makes sense for the market to value a play at competing in the platform wars more than Chen's refusal to compete.
    The world has changed and we all need to accept that fact. IOS and Android rule the mobile OS market and Blackberry has to go where the business is. Trying the produce the latest whiz-bang device that dazzles the multitudes has never been Blackberry's approach to devices. They produce middle-of-the-road sturdy reliable secure devices that put most gadget geeks to sleep. Its simply not what they do or have done. Further the pricing/cost recovery models for some of the current consumer device companies would make most people run screaming into the night with millions needed to sell just to break even. The net result is, they don't make money.

As a shareholder I have great respect for Chen who is at least respectful on how he uses MY MONEY in investing in strategies that are shown to make money and not on hopes and dreams. Mike L's hopes and dreams for the Playbook were exactly that, nothing more, and how successful was that ?

No, I prefer the forward thinking, stick to the strategy management style we have now.
    05-10-15 11:27 AM
56 123