05-10-15 10:27 AM
56 123
tools
    This sucks. Not unexpected though given BB's focus on enterprise. Pretty sure these guys won't be out of work for too long.....
    04-24-15 11:25 PM
    There are so many signs that BlackBerry will reduce all efforts to further develop BB10.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped manufactoring phones at some point.
    04-25-15 03:24 AM
    At the same time, why keep a facility for a single function so far away from your WHQ when you're still looking to run a leaner organisation? The core of TAT has been gone for quite some time: they built a company that showed promise, sold it, and moved on to other ventures after their obligations to BlackBerry ended.

There are good designers in Canada as well, and even in enterprise applications and services there is a need for a clear, concise UI. The 150 people will not be unemployed for long.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 07:51 AM
    There has been very few changes to the UI since 10.0.9 was released.

BlackBerry 10 lacks some elegant show and feel IMHO. TT was never allowed to go all in. Canada wanted to stay conservative.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 08:43 AM
    Yet another acquisition that BlackBerry didn't fully utilize. I remember all those cool TAT demos in PlayBook's that showed really great picture viewing apps, document sharing features between PlayBook's, etc. Now it looks like all that was to con the consumer into buying the device even though they had no plans to finish it. Same with TAT and BB10. They bought a UI design studio and had them write a backend for the OS UI. I bet the morale in that group sucked, and the delays and issues were a byproduct of that.

Chen doesn't care about consumers or a UI design shop, doesn't care about BB10 (unless another hardware manufacturer wants it), didn't care about the cloud business that was bought and sold back off, etc. BlackBerry assembled all the pieces necessary to build a total package in OS, services, etc, that would have allowed them to compete in both the consumer and business space, but BlackBerry the company was, and seems like it still is, such a dysfunctional mess that they couldn't put the pieces together quickly, panicked, out the company up for sale, and that was pretty much it. Now they have a business software salesman running the company who apparently doesn't want to do anything out of his comfort zone, and is going to kill off the handset business by releasing very low sales potential, niche devices and moving his software onto the competitions devices.

I don't even know if the slider will show up. Clearly the device they showed at MWC was a dummy device no where near working. I'm starting to wonder if it is just a ploy to make it look like they have plans to try and keep existing customers from defecting until they have their Apple and Google software for those OS systems ready for use.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    04-25-15 08:50 AM
    Yeah, THIS is why it's better to contract a company rather buy a company, when all you want is to use its services. What a waste of money and a ****ty thing to do TAT (buy it, destroy it, cause its "talent" to leave and start over).

That's "BlackBerry" though, sharpest tools in the shed....
    04-25-15 10:49 AM
    Yeah, THIS is why it's better to contract a company rather buy a company, when all you want is to use its services. What a waste of money and a ****ty thing to do TAT (buy it, destroy it, cause its "talent" to leave and start over).

That's "BlackBerry" though, sharpest tools in the shed....
    I do agree that this is a case of RIM walking into the hardware store and dearly purchasing a particulary fine and expensive knife, only to then use it to whack ineptly at a rock (...whilst forcing the blacksmith that forged it, to watch), until it is completely ruined, and then throwing it away.

With the hamfistedness of it all, along with TAT's services at the time being highly sought after, and the industry being rife with practices like Apple two years later buying Authentech out from under the feet of everybody else, who were about to licence their fingerprint readers (EDIT: a repeating pattern), I kind of wonder if the TAT acquisition was as much a base destructively uncompetetive move (EDIT2: ...or fear of themselves being tied to a third party dependecy that may at any time be revoked, for any reason), as it was actually wanting the shiny things. :P
    04-25-15 11:31 AM
    I do agree that this is a case of RIM walking into the hardware store and dearly purchasing a particulary fine and expensive knife, only to then use it to whack ineptly at a rock (...whilst forcing the blacksmith that forged it, to watch), until it is completely ruined, and then throwing it away.

With the hamfistidness of it all, along with TAT's services at the time being highly sought after, and the industry being rife with practices like Apple two years later buying Authentech out from under the feet of everybody else, who were about to licence their fingerprint readers, I kind of wonder if the TAT acquisition was as much a base destructively uncompetetive move, as it was actually wanting the shiny things. :P
    Not long after BlackBerry bought TAT, the founders of TAT left and made a new company. That new company was hired by Samsung to make the UI for Tizen.

Buying TAT didn't accomplish anything.
    04-25-15 11:34 AM
    Not long after BlackBerry bought TAT, the founders of TAT left and made a new company. That new company was hired by Samsung to make the UI for Tizen.

Buying TAT didn't accomplish anything.
    Well, they did secure Cascades, which BB10 as-we-know-it has made itself dependent on, whatever value that may have, with it being (afaik) pretty much little more than a set of qt classes written out of impatience waiting for qt 4 to be finalised...
    Little value (nary anywhere near SEK 830 million, plus salaries for 150+ people for several years, and office rent), or no; nobody can take it away from them, at least. :P

Jakobsson stayed on and was enjoying himself for two years, apparently, and the other original creatives and entrepreneurs a few hours longer. Whether this was out of contractual obligations and no-compete clauses, or because that was when the banging one's head against the RIM wall was becoming too annoying, or their ambition did not find enough challenge, or they were only, from day one, waiting for an opportunity to take the money and run, is unsaid -- probably a bit of all of the above. :P
    04-25-15 12:01 PM
    There should be an editorial post on this on CB frontpage, TAT was a pretty big thing at the time. They probably got all they could fro, them, from their new perspective and continue then the work at BB...would be good to have more insight on this. Maybe time for a CB Kevin take on this ?
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    04-26-15 03:30 AM
    I call bull****, I got a blackberry office near my dads work, its still there, (In gothenburg)

Posted from q10, excuse me for not having any typos.
    04-26-15 03:36 AM
    I call bull****, I got a blackberry office near my dads work, its still there, (In gothenburg)

Posted from q10, excuse me for not having any typos.
    The fact that it s still doesnt imply BB is not shutting it down. I m guessing they wont blow the building down

It d be interesting to try to get more intel...
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    04-26-15 03:54 AM
    There should be an editorial post on this on CB frontpage, TAT was a pretty big thing at the time. They probably got all they could fro, them, from their new perspective and continue then the work at BB...would be good to have more insight on this. Maybe time for a CB Kevin take on this ?
    CB Kevin (he would prefer to be called just Kevin nowadays) saw the writing on the wall for BlackBerry and left already for some time. He never became a hater though, he just no longer cares. How about The current editor in chief?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    devin266 likes this.
    04-26-15 12:34 PM
    CB Kevin (he would prefer to be called just Kevin nowadays) saw the writing on the wall for BlackBerry and left already for some time. He never became a hater though, he just no longer cares. How about The current editor in chief?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    That s the point, he probably has a better overview now and is less CB addicted.
    04-26-15 12:49 PM
    Clearly this is another casualty of the Blackberry enterprise focus.

TAT gave us some neat UI's and graphics that were never deployed because in practical use cases, they were more "in the way" than actually useful. The consumer market is being left to one player that makes huge money and the many other players who are either producing large numbers of devices at no profit or very few devices at high prices, again not making any money.

I think with Chen, he has a "follow the profit" approach and will be releasing only products that stand a good chance of enhancing revenues and will abandon those internal entities that just add to overheads. TAT will never create an enterprise product that make the user experience more efficient, just more entertaining.

As a long suffering shareholder, I can only support this rationalization.
    greenberry666 and mithrazor like this.
    04-26-15 04:10 PM
    Clearly this is another casualty of the Blackberry enterprise focus.

TAT gave us some neat UI's and graphics that were never deployed because in practical use cases, they were more "in the way" than actually useful. The consumer market is being left to one player that makes huge money and the many other players who are either producing large numbers of devices at no profit or very few devices at high prices, again not making any money.

I think with Chen, he has a "follow the profit" approach and will be releasing only products that stand a good chance of enhancing revenues and will abandon those internal entities that just add to overheads. TAT will never create an enterprise product that make the user experience more efficient, just more entertaining.

As a long suffering shareholder, I can only support this rationalization.
    Yea, a lot of the concepts I saw were super cool but not very functional. Still, in the back of my mind I was always thinking 'BlackBerry have TAT, something mind blowing might be coming in the future'. Another broken dream

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 05:06 AM
    TAT was entirely responsible for cascades and the momentics SDK. I guess we won't see any further development of either.
    Companies do move responsibilities for products around. I was once at a place that moved responsibility for a product from the USA, to Canada to India and then back to Canada.
    04-27-15 05:38 AM
    he just no longer cares.
    He told you this personally did he?
    04-27-15 05:39 AM
    Seems that BB has closed its office in Sweden where TAT was based. All the employees have lost their jobs. Interesting, who will continue developing Cascades?

Source (in Swedish): TAT:s grundare: Blackberry ett sjunkande skepp - NyTeknik

PS: Thanks blackberrys.ru for the news.
    They stopped developing new features for Cascades when 10.3.1 came out. Since BB10 was released, there has always been a road map for native development with a list of new features being worked on.

https://developer.blackberry.com/nat...loads/roadmap/

The road map has been empty since Nov 2014.

Development tools for BlackBerry look they are at a dead end and only bug fixes will be done. Most of the articles on the Developers blog are now for Android.

People have saying that native apps are a dead end on BB10, looks like BlackBerry thinks so too.
    Have_a_nice_day and Akuji_ism like this.
    04-27-15 09:32 AM
    I have been wondering on the roadmap as well. They will probably update it at one point. Isn't 10.3.2 around the corner
    04-27-15 12:30 PM
    I have been wondering on the roadmap as well. They will probably update it at one point. Isn't 10.3.2 around the corner
    i think 10.3.2 is more than around the corner. I think the ship sailed and if they were going to do updates for 10.3.2 they should have been there a couple months ago before 10.3.2 was being publically beta tested. Could be wrong though
    04-27-15 12:48 PM
    10.3.2 has no API or cascades changes so it wouldn't come up on the roadmap, maybe 10.4 will?
    04-27-15 03:31 PM
    10.3.2 is just a bug fix. The road map is the vision of the new features of the development tools. It is usually 6 to 8 months out. There is nothing there so there is nothing planned for the next 6 to 8 months if ever.
    04-27-15 03:52 PM
    He told you this personally did he?
    Haha I wish I were that important. You don't need to be told, you can simply observe.
    04-27-15 05:58 PM
    Haha I wish I were that important. You don't need to be told, you can simply observe.
    What you observe and what I observe are different. And both may be totally wrong.

What I observe is Kevin is the Chief Media Officer for Mobile Nations, a small company with finite resources.

What I also observe is that Mobile Nations has deployed its scant resources onto portions of its properties where there is more demand and away from sites where there is currently less demand. Kevin and Adam spend their time mostly on other things. Chris Umi is less involved. No more podcasts. Blaize has to do a lot by himself.

Kevin happens to be chief media officer for Mobile Nations as a whole and his duties extend across the sites.
    04-27-15 06:08 PM
56 123