05-10-15 10:27 AM
56 123
tools
    Seems that BB has closed its office in Sweden where TAT was based. All the employees have lost their jobs. Interesting, who will continue developing Cascades?

Source (in Swedish): TAT:s grundare: Blackberry ett sjunkande skepp - NyTeknik

PS: Thanks blackberrys.ru for the news.
    serbanescu and Soul_Est like this.
    04-24-15 07:11 AM
    That's really sad
    04-24-15 07:13 AM
    I'm pretty sure TAT was over a long time ago. Key members left to open another business. It was over since the PlayBook lost any further support. TAT was focused on the PlayBook OS and QNX such as for cars. BB10 was never a pure TAT child.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 08:07 AM
    I'm pretty sure TAT was over a long time ago. Key members left to open another business. It was over since the PlayBook lost any further support. TAT was focused on the PlayBook OS and QNX such as for cars. BB10 was never a pure TAT child.

Posted via CB10
    TAT was entirely responsible for cascades and the momentics SDK. I guess we won't see any further development of either.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 08:12 AM
    TAT was entirely responsible for cascades and the momentics SDK. I guess we won't see any further development of either.

Posted via CB10

Momentics was updated less than a week ago....
    I'm sure someone else can take them
    04-24-15 08:20 AM
    Momentics was updated less than a week ago....
    I'm sure someone else can take them
    Less than a week ago BlackBerry Sweden was still employed.

And the update wasn't meaningful. No new APIs

Posted via CB10
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    04-24-15 08:26 AM
    They may have relocated the UX team?

They recently sent one of Blackberrys top guy there to help work on UI for 10.4 if I'm not mistaken

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 09:00 AM
    Where is the architect?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 09:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    The initial design of momentics is from the PlayBook days as was cascades with Qt. All the ideas weren't for the phones but for the PlayBook. It was spun off to bb10. The original bb10 was built around the PlayBook and in fact the standard resolution was for the PlayBook when it booted up regardless what device it was on. All alpha software had the PlayBook specs and early public bb10 releases did as well. I haven't gone through bb10 OS in a while but I think PlayBook support for native screen size stopped around 10.1. I felt this is where TAT support was dead.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 09:18 AM
    The initial design of momentics is from the PlayBook days as was cascades with Qt. All the ideas weren't for the phones but for the PlayBook. It was spun off to bb10. The original bb10 was built around the PlayBook and in fact the standard resolution was for the PlayBook when it booted up regardless what device it was on. All alpha software had the PlayBook specs and early public bb10 releases did as well. I haven't gone through bb10 OS in a while but I think PlayBook support for native screen size stopped around 10.1. I felt this is where TAT support was dead.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I can tell you that regardless of how you felt, TATs primary responsibility up til today was developing cascades and momentics. They were reigned in and their signature flair has been missing for quite some time but these were their primary responsibilities. How is any of that playbook stuff like specs and screen resolution importatnt?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 11:10 AM
    Well, I can tell you that regardless of how you felt, TATs primary responsibility up til today was developing cascades and momentics. They were reigned in and their signature flair has been missing for quite some time but these were their primary responsibilities. How is any of that playbook stuff like specs and screen resolution importatnt?

Posted via CB10
    Because everything you mentioned is actually part of the PlayBook OS. It was spun over to bb10. I do not see anything significant in bb10 that was from TAT that wasn't part of the PlayBook originally. Even the clock app including the Porsche design came from the sunrise team in Florida. TAT has been missing in action for years. Many features and updates didn't come from TAT. I don't even remember the last major contribution TAT has put into momentics since 10.1. Maybe a couple bug fixes. Clearly TAT had its days numbered by many blackberry developers in 2014.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 11:56 AM
    I thought the original TAT team left BlackBerry a while ago and reformed their own outfit, which is now contributing to Samsung.

Also wasn't Gary Klassen (BBM "inventor") recently move up to head BlackBerry Sweden? Sure hope they didn't can him in the process.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 12:15 PM
    I thought the original TAT team left BlackBerry a while ago and reformed their own outfit, which is now contributing to Samsung.

Also wasn't Gary Klassen (BBM "inventor") recently move up to head BlackBerry Sweden? Sure hope they didn't can him in the process.

Posted via CB10
    Gary moved back to Canada a couple months ago.
    AnimalPak200 and Soul_Est like this.
    04-24-15 12:22 PM
    Gary moved back to Canada a couple months ago.
    Correct. I believe blackberry brought back everything they needed to continue development when Gary came back. This is just my opinion and nothing more.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 12:29 PM
    Cascades was never made for the PlayBook (parts of it were used in some TAT-made apps, but it was never part of the OS). In fact, the PB OS design was made by some other design firm prior to the TAT purchase.

Many were hoping that Gary Klassen going over to Sweden was for some UI innovations in 10.4 or in apps. Either that was scrapped, or it was really just about transferring knowledge with the plan all along to close that office.
    04-24-15 01:20 PM
    Sad. They're just letting go of everything in the company. I hope they have huge changes for the UI in 10.4 or 10.5 cause the UI and UX still needs to be refined. BlackBerry seems to be letting go us previous acquisitions and leeching off bigger companies like Samsung. If this is the case it might be wise to get Sony, HTC and Samsung enemy LG on board with there plans.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    04-24-15 01:23 PM
    Cascades was never made for the PlayBook (parts of it were used in some TAT-made apps, but it was never part of the OS). In fact, the PB OS design was made by some other design firm prior to the TAT purchase.

Many were hoping that Gary Klassen going over to Sweden was for some UI innovations in 10.4 or in apps. Either that was scrapped, or it was really just about transferring knowledge with the plan all along to close that office.
    If cascades were part of any app then the OS has cascades built in. I would need to go through some PlayBook OS versions to verify but the menus were cascades. Even though the look and feel of it isn't like bb10. If I have a chance tonight, I'll go through the code and it's authors to confirm.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 01:38 PM
    If cascades were part of any app then the OS has cascades built in. I would need to go through some PlayBook OS versions to verify but the menus were cascades. Even though the look and feel of it isn't like bb10. If I have a chance tonight, I'll go through the code and it's authors to confirm.
    TabletOS's UI was built around Adobe AIR (good riddance on that one), as far as I know.

The PlayBook applications that used a Cascades, supposedly came with it embedded.

I guess Bridge (...which has the Cascades design language EDIT: ...and is first party), would be a good one to study, if one want to determine what is true.

EDIT2: One standout quote from the article, btw: "The first two years after the acqusition, it was a fantastic process, and much pointed in the right direction."
    04-24-15 01:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    I thought the UI on the PlayBook was entirely in Air. Even BB10 OS was littered with Air for a while (like System Settings). I think the Scrapbook app on the PB had Cascades stuff more as a standard QT app with their additional libraries packaged in, and it wasn't relying on any OS-level libraries. I could be wrong though.

edit: posted before seeing jojon2se's post
    04-24-15 02:19 PM
    From my understanding TAT was responsible for screwing up bedside mode when bb10 was first released because none of the guys knew how bbos bedside mode worked. To this day it still isn't as good as the bbos version.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 02:21 PM
    From my understanding TAT was responsible for screwing up bedside mode when bb10 was first released because none of the guys knew how bbos bedside mode worked. To this day it still isn't as good as the bbos version.
    Even if they didn't, it'd be on a product manager to provide those details or to expose the importance of it. So I'm not sure it's fair to blame them. I think getting BB10 out the door was more important to them than tackling the impossible task of replicating every feature and detail from the legacy OS at launch. BB10 has come a long way but as you said there are still some things missing compared to BBOS (although it also has a lot BBOS never had).
    Last edited by DaedalusIcarusHelios; 04-24-15 at 04:15 PM. Reason: quoted what I was replying to
    04-24-15 02:32 PM
    IIRC, Cascades wasn't part of the PB OS.

There were a couple of TAT apps (scrapbook was one I think?) that were cascades-based, but the cascades libraries were part of the app executable (static libraries included at compile time) rather than being called up from the OS when needed (shared libraries referenced at run time).

It also meant that the apps were bigger, because the cascades code was included in each executable.
    04-24-15 03:17 PM
    IIRC, Cascades wasn't part of the PB OS.

There were a couple of TAT apps (scrapbook was one I think?) that were cascades-based, but the cascades libraries were part of the app executable (static libraries included at compile time) rather than being called up from the OS when needed (shared libraries referenced at run time).

It also meant that the apps were bigger, because the cascades code was included in each executable.
    this

I think all apps that were cascades has special access to the code. The DJ app was also cascades I think but it had to include many libraries with it on the playbook if I remember correctly.

The PB was mostly built with adobe air and that was the cause of much of the lag
    04-24-15 05:15 PM
    The WSJ has an article about closing after union talks you have to subscribe to read it but here is something else
    BlackBerry thinking of shutting down Swedish design ops - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha
    ]
    and this
    http://rapidmobile.biz/blackberry/bl...ations-sweden/
    04-24-15 06:39 PM
    Wasted potential. Starting to see the true vision of the new BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Akuji_ism, phuoc and Tatwi like this.
    04-24-15 08:03 PM
56 123