01-25-15 03:11 PM
46 12
tools
    BlackBerry Classic Review: Good at Being a BlackBerry, and Not Much Else

Let's talk about the word "classic." Classic can mean "timeless," as in an ageless beauty that never fades or a joke with a punchline that always hits. It can also mean "old," like the candy red '57 Chevy you'll probably never see on a modern highway. Which one describes the BlackBerry Classic? Take a guess.
    early2bed likes this.
    01-21-15 10:21 AM
    Why was he using a port of badland on the classic when its native on BBW. Just really dishonest imho.

Z30 (10.3.1)
    01-21-15 10:44 AM
    People that haven't achieved anything of value in their lives love to take this superior atitude towards good products, like they are entitled to all the best in the world and those making those products failed to fulfil their divine expectations.
    Last edited by serbanescu; 01-22-15 at 06:01 AM.
    01-21-15 10:55 AM
    People that haven't achieved anything of value in their lives love to take this superior atitude towards good products, like they are entitled to all the best in the world and those making those products failed to fulfil their devine expectations.
    I couldn't agree more

Posted via CB10 on my white Z30
    01-21-15 11:07 AM
    How about pasting content so I don't give these guys my clicks if I don't need to?
    raino and gvs1341 like this.
    01-21-15 11:20 AM
    How about pasting content so I don't give these guys my clicks if I don't need to?
    Just skip it. Basically he bashes the Classic because it is does not work for him. Here are 2 excerpts. I called it the bad because, he compares the BB to others when it doesn't meet (his) standards (ie camera) but changes tactics and compares it to an older BB when it suits him (ie removable battery. I could be mistaken, someone correct me if there is a removable battery iPhone or even an iproduct)

The Good;

In all the ways that matter, the Classic's keyboard is better than the Passportthe last phone that BlackBerry released. These keys are just plain satisfying. Clicking through texts, email, and searching the Classic's directory just by typing feels amazing. The rubberized textured backing on the Classic also makes it near impossible to drop this thing, which is good because there won't be many stylish cases for this guy.

The bad;

The rest of the Classic's hardware annoyances are relatively minor. The power button is frustratingly at the very top of the phone, which I hate. Also the battery isn't removable, which is forgivable but I also hate.

---
    Basically it seems to be click bait from an uneducated (and I mean that in the sense of journalism not product knowledge) blogger.
    It's the scourge of the Internet that people like him cannot take their own advice, which is: If you cannot be #1 or #2 in your market, pack up and go home. The webs would be a much better place.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    ricocan likes this.
    01-21-15 12:31 PM
    Hence I don't want to click
    01-21-15 01:00 PM
    >The bad;

>The rest of the Classic's hardware annoyances are relatively minor. The power button is frustratingly at the very top of the phone, which I hate. >Also the battery isn't removable, which is forgivable but I also hate.

This is a stupid comment. Many phones have non-removable battery now so he hates every one of them including Iphone?
    Blue787 likes this.
    01-21-15 01:26 PM
    People that haven't achieved anything of value in their lives love to take this superior atitude towards good products, like they are entitled to all the best in the world and those making those products failed to fulfil their devine expectations.
    Very poor thought.

The thing was outdated before it was launched.

Classics are good in movies and cars but not tech.

Not hard to understand.

BlackBerry hates America!
    techvisor and Shlooky like this.
    01-21-15 02:36 PM
    Very poor thought.

The thing was outdated before it was launched.

Classics are good in movies and cars but not tech.

Not hard to understand.

The market that was using 9900s were also outdated... going from outdated to outdated to people outside this market. We don't all need to make 16:9 devices. With octocores and still lag. .

Posted via CB10
    Blue787 likes this.
    01-21-15 02:44 PM
    Headline should have read reviewer not even good at reviewing.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 03:02 PM
    The market that was using 9900s were also outdated... going from outdated to outdated to people outside this market. We don't all need to make 16:9 devices. With octocores and still lag. .

Posted via CB10
    This is about as "classic" an argument as you can get.

But the simple fact is, BlackBerry lost the whole smartphone kingdom by going outdated back when they faced the iPhone and Androids for the first time. If it was a losing choice back then... is it going to be a long term solution today? Time will tell if it was a smart move or not...

Just find it hard to believe that spending another $30 on the internals would have been too expensive.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-21-15 03:32 PM
    No click here just garbage articles from garbage minds .
    01-21-15 04:18 PM
    I took my Z10 back to my network carriers store last week because I was experiencing some problems. We had to take the sim out my phone and then fire it up with a new sim inserted.

During the boot up the shop assistant ask me how on earth I put up some this slow phone and why I chose a BlackBerry over an android or iPhone. Tbh I've always disliked myz10 boot up time, takes way to long in comparison to even an iPhone 5.

While in store I had a little fiddle with the classic for awhile and boy that thing was slow and heavy.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 05:09 PM
    snip...Just find it hard to believe that spending another $30 on the internals would have been too expensive.
    My boss was notorious for taking costs x3. No matter what it was. It killed us. We had competitive products that were right there but maybe lacked a design feature or a power manager. We would source a solution for $100 and he would mark the darn finished good up $300. His answer was it was part of the process so it deserved the same mark-up the whole FG received. We would argue at nausea that if he was willing to sell the unit for $2,000 and nobody was really that interested, $2,300 would then price us out of the market. Why not eat the phony R&D costs, fixed overhead and variable overhead and just sell the improved version for $2,100. A sweet spot in the market. He refused.

Long story short, maybe their premium pricing scheme/formulas would take that $30 and turn it into another $100 or so for the consumer.
    01-21-15 06:50 PM
    I took my Z10 back to my network carriers store last week because I was experiencing some problems. We had to take the sim out my phone and then fire it up with a new sim inserted.

During the boot up the shop assistant ask me how on earth I put up some this slow phone and why I chose a BlackBerry over an android or iPhone. Tbh I've always disliked myz10 boot up time, takes way to long in comparison to even an iPhone 5.

While in store I had a little fiddle with the classic for awhile and boy that thing was slow and heavy.

Posted via CB10
    The z10 boot time is extremely fast on 10.3.
    And the phone in general is very quick. Also, it's actually fully rebooting and doing a ton of security checks
    01-21-15 07:25 PM
    The z10 boot time is extremely fast on 10.3.
    And the phone in general is very quick. Also, it's actually fully rebooting and doing a ton of security checks
    They were smarter in adding the words below to explain what is going on in boot. Even if it's not true.
    Boot is very fast, security checks tak another minute, but it leaves one with the impression that it's all about security.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 07:41 PM
    Yeah, I find booting time on 10.3.1 to be much improved. I don't even feel it takes THAT long, but it is a bit slower than other devices.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 07:51 PM
    Oh, also that review was trash.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 07:52 PM
    Oh my.

I truly don't think it's that serious. It's an opinion, not a dissertation on the ethics of humanity.
    TgeekB and techvisor like this.
    01-21-15 08:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    They also don't want something that goes EOL to soon due to the OS growing.

01-21-15 08:28 PM
    I have supported and used blackberry since the 7100 series came out.
    They were simple devices and some later, the 8000 series, which were interesting. From there you all know the rest of the models, their successes and failures.

The one consistent flaw of the recent models, including the Playbook, is the startup. Even I am totally weary of this issue, especially when troubleshooting with a client who is already impatient about the device failing to operate.

Grudgingly, neither apple or android have that problem.

As for apk on BlackBerry 10, i would never train my clients to install applications this way.
    Too buggy and slow.
    Even on 10.3.1

And yet I own 2 playbooks, a Z10 and Passport because for me, BlackBerry is my thing. RIM has hit a chord i relate too.

But i will not blame people who bash BlackBerry for not liking the product, as annoying as some are.
    They are mostly right. Their devices work exceptionally well.
    Again grudgingly...i cannot repudiate.

We live in a world where security is lame and distractions are necessary.
    Iphone delivers on its capacity to distract and does not on security....not as well as Blackberry....so we get at least one point in that department.

I could replace iphone with samsung as well.

Emails, text, Bbm, is not enough for the majority who crave on the next immediate distraction, sort of like an opiate of the masses, a psychotropic wonder.

I my even be so bold as to say that if Blackberry had not given the world the inventiveness and uniqueness, Apple would have had nothing better to offer than their mp3 players......yes a bold statement because I am annoyed.

Annoyed at the fact that Apple is arrogant and condescending.
    Look at me, there is an app for that...

Apple has not succeeded in my corporate sector to be the most reliable tool which allow my clients in being productive.
    My clients rely on their Blackberry.
    My clients do not want an iphone.
    They want the Blackberry Classic.
    They want something that is familiar.
    They will get just that.
    A working tool.
    Not a toy.

So say what you want but stop comparing apples and blackberries.
    Remember why BlackBerry is hear to stay.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 likes this.
    01-21-15 09:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    You should see the 10.3.1 boot time.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 11:36 PM
    This is about as "classic" an argument as you can get.

But the simple fact is, BlackBerry lost the whole smartphone kingdom by going outdated back when they faced the iPhone and Androids for the first time. If it was a losing choice back then... is it going to be a long term solution today? Time will tell if it was a smart move or not...

Just find it hard to believe that spending another $30 on the internals would have been too expensive.
    Totally agree with. They keep trying the same thing that has failed before and yet they hope for a different outcome. Not smart.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    techvisor and trsbbs like this.
    01-22-15 12:07 AM
    Just skip it. Basically he bashes the Classic because it is does not work for him. Here are 2 excerpts. I called it the bad because, he compares the BB to others when it doesn't meet (his) standards (ie camera) but changes tactics and compares it to an older BB when it suits him (ie removable battery. I could be mistaken, someone correct me if there is a removable battery iPhone or even an iproduct)

The Good;

In all the ways that matter, the Classic's keyboard is better than the Passportthe last phone that BlackBerry released. These keys are just plain satisfying. Clicking through texts, email, and searching the Classic's directory just by typing feels amazing. The rubberized textured backing on the Classic also makes it near impossible to drop this thing, which is good because there won't be many stylish cases for this guy.

The bad;

The rest of the Classic's hardware annoyances are relatively minor. The power button is frustratingly at the very top of the phone, which I hate. Also the battery isn't removable, which is forgivable but I also hate.

---
    Basically it seems to be click bait from an uneducated (and I mean that in the sense of journalism not product knowledge) blogger.
    It's the scourge of the Internet that people like him cannot take their own advice, which is: If you cannot be #1 or #2 in your market, pack up and go home. The webs would be a much better place.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    So I guess he was supposed to say that the Classic is perfect and there are no bad points?

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    01-22-15 12:09 AM
46 12