01-21-14 10:44 AM
51 123
tools
    You're not going to find many comparisons due to the lack of interest. Blackberry is failing at releasing compelling products.

Sent from my Gold 5s using Tapatalk
    What do you mean by compelling?

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 06:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Something that evokes the masses.

01-11-14 06:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think we can stick to the word's definitions: one of them is "evoking interest, attention, or admiration in a powerfully irresistible way", while another is "not able to be resisted; overwhelming". I think the argument is that if either of these definitions applied to BB10 for a significant portion of consumers, BB10 wouldn't be struggling in terms of unit sales.
    Ray UM likes this.
    01-11-14 06:40 PM
    Something that evokes the masses.

So what's BlackBerry not doing that makes you less interested, because of late they have a lot of the features like the competition?

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 06:41 PM
    So what's BlackBerry not doing that makes you less interested, because of late they have a lot of the features like the competition?

Posted via CB10
    They skimped out on hardware design, ui appearance (the icons in OS 10 looks amateurish and dated), left out a lot of legacy features, and they released the OS before it was ready.

bbq10l likes this.
    01-11-14 06:48 PM
    They skimped out on hardware design, ui appearance (the icons in OS 10 looks amateurish and dated), left out a lot of legacy features, and they released the OS before it was ready.

Don't necessarily agree on all those but fair enough.

I think to release with all those features would have delay the process even further though

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 06:53 PM

How so? The os looks great and it runs amazingly. It's quick and set up super well for ease of business use.

www.mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735 Posted on my Z30
    01-11-14 08:11 PM
    How so? The os looks great and it runs amazingly. It's quick and set up super well for ease of business use.
    So you're countering his opinion with your opinion. Guess what? You're both right.
    01-11-14 08:24 PM

Yes it is young or "amateurish" and yes its missing features but with every update those features appeared and are still appearing. I would think that 10.2.1 would be the final product of BB10 as a mature OS. I come to like the icons better than what's available on iOS or Android (uhh especially Android). I wouldn't consider BlackBerry to delay the launch of BB10 any further and is actually proud that they hadn't done so.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 02:30 AM

here's my best imitation of you:

*wakes up*
    *yawns*
    *cracks knuckles*
    *grabs phone*
    *Says out loud - "welp, it's time to get up and start trolling the crackberry forums"*

do me a favor, eat that iphone 5s.
    01-12-14 10:18 AM
    While I don't believe it's a conspiracy with the media, I do believe the financial struggles of BlackBerry are something that is written about often for page clicks. Negative news will always garner more clicks than a feel good story.

And I have to say in the last year since I got my Z10, the conversations I've had about it are generally all the same. The initial question is why did you buy a BlackBerry, they suck and always need battery pulls. When I show them how the new BlackBerry works, the only remaining comment is "but I heard on the news they're bankrupt".

So Chen is addressing one problem. The perception that they are going out of business. Now for the second problem, getting the world to realize BB10 is not your old OS 7 BlackBerry.

And I realize the specs and apps are not on par with other platforms, but honestly, the ex BlackBerry users that I'm talking to are ones who barely use the full power of their iPhones. If they tried BlackBerry 10, it would work just fine for them. For some of them better than other phones cause they are constantly griping about typing experience.

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-12-14 11:31 AM
    Haha. There is s phone to buy!

Good one! However, this model is just as innovative as the current iPhone. =0)

Posted from my Z10 using CB10.
    01-12-14 11:56 AM
    You're not going to find many comparisons due to the lack of interest. Blackberry is failing at releasing compelling products.

This is funny when Wired had the Z30 destroy the competition.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 12:00 PM
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/...lenge-results/ is this not compelling enough ? Destroyed the competition and they could not believe it....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 12:09 PM
    BlackBerry is here to stay!

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    01-12-14 12:09 PM
    This is funny when Wired had the Z30 destroy the competition.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    The z30 is a solid device.
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    01-12-14 01:27 PM
    Yes the Z30 is a solid device never played with one but it looks good for bb. They should do a mild refresh make it more compact and change the silver parts of the device to aluminium. Put in a 1080 screen and 16 or 13 mp camera and call it the Z32 cuz it's already an awesome device to me

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-12-14 02:29 PM
    What I have to say about my reason for dropping Apple in favor of BlackBerry will resonate with this threads discussion.

My decision wasn't based on perceived technological superiority at all. It was an ideological decision. I was not, nor am I now, disappointed in Apple technology. I've been an Apple user for well over a decade, and an iPhone user for 5 years.

I'm writing this message on my new Z30 because I reached a point that demanded a decision. A decision between complacent convenience or one rooted in belief.

I am not a "herd" member, nor do I believe I am unique. Don't sell anyone not already a member of your ranks short. You'll only turn people away and satisfy a negative self fulfilling prophecy.

I strongly agree with the above assessment regarding the two reasons BlackBerry has been given a boost. I'm of the opinion John Chen did well at CES. Everything doesn't have to be a hard sell. Let people digest what is occurring and come to you.

I'm in for the long haul and not for any reason I've seen mentioned here yet.
    01-16-14 06:25 PM
    What I have to say about my reason for dropping Apple in favor of BlackBerry will resonate with this threads discussion.

My decision wasn't based on perceived technological superiority at all. It was an ideological decision. I was not, nor am I now, disappointed in Apple technology. I've been an Apple user for well over a decade, and an iPhone user for 5 years.

I'm writing this message on my new Z30 because I reached a point that demanded a decision. A decision between complacent convenience or one rooted in belief.

I am not a "herd" member, nor do I believe I am unique. Don't sell anyone not already a member of your ranks short. You'll only turn people away and satisfy a negative self fulfilling prophecy.

I strongly agree with the above assessment regarding the two reasons BlackBerry has been given a boost. I'm of the opinion John Chen did well at CES. Everything doesn't have to be a hard sell. Let people digest what is occurring and come to you.

I'm in for the long haul and not for any reason I've seen mentioned here yet.
    Welcome to the BlackBerry ranks. Glad you like your new phone. I have had my Z30 for under am month now and so has my Girlfriend. I have loved it from the start and now that my girlfriend is forgetting her androids os she is loving it too (she was confused a bit at first).

01-16-14 06:50 PM
    I call bs on all of this media conspiracy spiel.
    The media had it out for the original iPad and the original iPhone (as well as the iPhone 4 *antenna-gate), didn't make a difference to apple.
    The media also championed numerous iPhone killers (droid/palm web os), iPod killers, and iPad killers(Xoom/amazon kindle). Once again consumers ignored the media and purchased what they wanted.

There is no conspiracy or propaganda against blackberry, they are just unable to compete in the current market.
    Well I think it's YOU who doesn't get it. The perception that he refers to isn't from consumers it's in the investor side. And when the common perception was that blackberry is dying then it IS dying. The article says that Chen has managed to turn the perception around that they are on the mend. This is harder to do then actually making the company profitable.

So when the momentum of perception is trending one way then the media piles on and actually fulfills the belief.

Consumers are just sheep that eventually follow what they are positively exposed to in media and other social avenues. How else do you explain the i turnaround and mass consumerism?

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 09:09 PM

Jesus man - you're probably as much fun as a wet blanket to hang out with.

Every post is doom and gloom. We get it. You think Blackberry screwed up. They suck at making phones. Their OS sucks. The company sucks and is run by idiots. We get it man.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 03:59 AM
    Well I think it's YOU who doesn't get it. The perception that he refers to isn't from consumers it's in the investor side. And when the common perception was that blackberry is dying then it IS dying. The article says that Chen has managed to turn the perception around that they are on the mend. This is harder to do then actually making the company profitable.

Posted via CB10
    So now it's the investors.
    Media->consumers->investors, riiiight.
    Keep moving the goal post sport.

And when the common perception was that blackberry is dying then it IS dying. The article says that Chen has managed to turn the perception around that they are on the mend. This is harder to do then actually making the company profitable.
    Yeah, the last three quarters were caused by investors and perception gotcha.

Consumers are just sheep that eventually follow what they are positively exposed to in media and other social avenues. How else do you explain the i turnaround and mass consumerism?

Posted via CB10
    You seem to understand this better then anyone else. Perhaps they should hire you at blackberry, you make it sound so easy.

How else do you explain the i turnaround and mass consumerism?
    Posted via CB10
    Buy one and find out (and I don't mean the 4s from 2011).
    01-17-14 05:16 AM

So when the momentum of perception is trending one way then the media piles on and actually fulfills the belief.

Posted via CB10
    It is true that consumers are highly influenced by advertising and word of mouth. It is also true that mud sticks and the majority of people are followers. There is nothing wrong with the latter and is one of the important reasons a highly social animal can function as efficiently as it does. But that does not make us the Borg, either, incapable of individual thought. The consumer is generally fickle, which is why advertising works. But if a product does not have qualities that can hold the attention it won't endure, particularly in the CE field where there is a relentless stream of new options guaranteed to pop up sooner than later. I would say that Apple, for a range of reasons ranging from shrewd company management to high quality and diversified offerings, has so far figured out best how to play the game. Do recall that Apple is over 30 years old, the oldest remaining personal computer hardware company IIRC. Remaining and thriving; it's clearly doing something right.

RIM/BBRY, like many other market leaders of their times, simply couldn't adapt fast enough. The devil is in the details of course but that is the core of it. As a single product type company, that was disastrous. And that is what Chen has to decide. React to the market, with the expectation the company will survive. Anticipate, with the expectation the company will thrive. That's a very difficult decision tree he faces, to a large extent because he was brought in quite late.

FYI Apple has among the worst investor perception vs company performance (ie. P/E) out there. So I would take investor influence on company with a fairly large grain of salt. Unless, of course, a company is in a position to raise funding.
    01-17-14 10:32 AM
    I call bs on all of this media conspiracy spiel.
    The media had it out for the original iPad and the original iPhone (as well as the iPhone 4 *antenna-gate), didn't make a difference to apple.
    The media also championed numerous iPhone killers (droid/palm web os), iPod killers, and iPad killers(Xoom/amazon kindle). Once again consumers ignored the media and purchased what they wanted.

There is no conspiracy or propaganda against blackberry, they are just unable to compete in the current market.
    My z30 more than competes. It dominates, however many will never know!

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 01:50 PM
    here's my best imitation of you:

*wakes up*
    *yawns*
    *cracks knuckles*
    *grabs phone*
    *Says out loud - "welp, it's time to get up and start trolling the crackberry forums"*

do me a favor, eat that iphone 5s.
    I literally LOL'd when I read this

Sent from my BlackBerry Z30
    01-21-14 09:29 AM
51 123