01-21-14 10:44 AM
51 123
tools
    Here's an interesting article I found on Chens turnaround strategy for BlackBerry:

John Chen's message during CES may have sealed a positive fate for BlackBerry during its turnaround phase.

When I was told that BlackBerry was going to be at CES, I thought someone had missed a meeting. CES is a consumer electronics event and BlackBerry had just begun to execute a strategy that is allowing it to put focus back on the enterprise. However, rather than being a screw-up, the result was an amazing shift of coverage from BlackBerry the failure to BlackBerry making a successful turnaround. I think this is fascinating and I want to explain why I think it worked.

The Forgotten Aspect of a Turnaround

The most powerful part of a turnaround effort, as demonstrated by Steve Jobs, is that of belief. What Jobs did that was unique in his turnaround of Apple was that he met with Bill Gates hat in hand and struck a deal where Apple would stop trying to sue Microsoft and become a strategic partner again in exchange for around a $200M investment. The key part for Apple was that both the investment by the richest guy in the world and the renewed relationship created the impression that Apple was on the mend, both investors and key influencers switched from believing Apple would absolutely fail?which can be a self-fulfilling prophecy?to believing Apple was on the mend, which also can be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You see, if people believe a company will fail, they won?t invest in or buy from the firm. If they believe the firm is at a low point but will improve, then the firm flips from a bad investment to an incredibly good one and customers are again comfortable buying from it. Jobs uniquely dealt with the image of the failure first in the late 1990s, and while the firm wasn?t truly out of the woods until nearly five years later, it was the belief that it would be that drove that result. Investors that backed the belief did very well financially and customers that bought looked particularly smart at the end of the cycle. And yet, the only thing that really changed was how the company was viewed. The structural and product changes that actually turned the firm around not only occurred subsequently, they likely were dependent on the ?belief? being fixed first.

BlackBerry at CES

While CES is a consumer show, increasingly those covering tech are asked to cover both consumer and business segments and there wasn?t that much business news at the show. In effect, you had a ton of folks who still needed to write business-oriented stories, yet all they were getting were tons of product announcements. BlackBerry stood out by having a business message during a consumer show and it was then able to get audiences to hear its turnaround story and the progress it had made.

Folks were already feeling positive, largely because this year?s CES was one of the best in history and they were impressed with what John Chen had to say. His message was key in flipping the coverage of BlackBerry from a company that was sure to fail, to one that is on the mend and recovering. This is impressive work by Chen, who appears to have grasped the core of Jobs? strategy from the Apple turnaround. Although, Chen has implemented a similar plan using the resources at his disposal, the use of CES as a mechanism has been uniquely creative.

NSA Help

While it isn?t directly called out as a factor, I think the NSA disclosures?particularly those calling out the penetration of Apple products?provided a critical boost for BlackBerry by focusing the market back on the importance of security. You may recall that Apple responded to the disclosure that tracking software had been put on its phones without its knowledge by declaring it had not worked with the NSA, which wasn?t a denial that the software was on the phones. It merely seemed to confirm the part of the report that said this was done without Apple?s knowledge. Security and IT folks who are used to looking at the nuances in announcements likely saw this as a tacit admission that the iPhones were compromised and that BlackBerry was, thanks to being a Canadian company, uniquely immune to the NSA efforts. Security was once again much more important than consumer features, particularly for executive phones.

Wrapping Up

A saying that I?ve repeated for years, ?perception is 100 percent of reality,? has been proven once again here. By focusing on correcting the perceptions that surround BlackBerry both effectively and quickly, John Chen may have assured a positive result. I think this is a powerful lesson that goes back to Steve Jobs, but is often forgotten. That is largely why many turnarounds fail. Chen is showcasing early on that he has the unique skills needed to pull off this turnaround and with some unanticipated help from the NSA, the prognoses for BlackBerry just got a ton better. Nice work, John.
    http://mobile.itbusinessedge.com/blo...urnaround.html

Posted via CB10
    Bilaal, SK122387, Notcho and 16 others like this.
    01-10-14 12:59 AM
    Great article man
    Thanks for that!
    I do think Chen is the right guy in the right time for BlackBerry!
    GoGoGo!!
    01-10-14 01:10 AM
    Great article man
    Thanks for that!
    I do think Chen is the right guy in the right time for BlackBerry!
    GoGoGo!!
    lol its been said for a long *** time, and morons like this guy are just grasping the concept now.

man the media is full of ***** pushign their crap onto the weak minded media driven society.

no one understands that one of the main causes for BlackBerrys failed attempt with BB10 was the media perception of the company and consumers refusal to believe BlackBerry was not a dead company because the media and other outlets would start off every article with the struggling company, or the for sale sign that was put up
    Ray UM likes this.
    01-10-14 11:54 AM
    lol its been said for a long *** time, and morons like this guy are just grasping the concept now.

man the media is full of ***** pushign their crap onto the weak minded media

no one understands that one of the main causes for BlackBerrys failed attempt with BB10 was the media perception of the company and consumers refusal to believe BlackBerry was not a dead company because the media and other outlets would start off every article with the struggling company, or the for sale sign that was put up

I call bs on all of this media conspiracy spiel.
    The media had it out for the original iPad and the original iPhone (as well as the iPhone 4 *antenna-gate), didn't make a difference to apple.
    The media also championed numerous iPhone killers (droid/palm web os), iPod killers, and iPad killers(Xoom/amazon kindle). Once again consumers ignored the media and purchased what they wanted.

There is no conspiracy or propaganda against blackberry, they are just unable to compete in the current market.
    ekv, allengeorge and bbq10l like this.
    01-10-14 12:34 PM
    4 comments? I guess the article is too positive for people to comment . Thanks for the share OP.

Posted via CB10
    Ray UM likes this.
    01-10-14 12:44 PM
    The media had it out for the original iPad and the original iPhone (as well as the iPhone 4 *antenna-gate), didn't make a difference to apple.
    The media also championed numerous iPhone killers (droid/palm web os), iPod killers, and iPad killers(Xoom/amazon kindle). Once again consumers ignored the media and purchased what they wanted.

There is no conspiracy or propaganda against blackberry, they are just unable to compete in the current market.
    go to google and find me a "z30 vs ip5s" comparison that has been written by a reputable media outlet... find me one that's on the 1st page of search results even

..then come back and tell me what the media is and isn't doing.
    01-10-14 12:49 PM
    go to google and find me a "z30 vs ip5s" comparison that has been written by a reputable media outlet... find me one that's on the 1st page of search results even

You're not going to find many comparisons due to the lack of interest. Blackberry is failing at releasing compelling products.

Sent from my Gold 5s using Tapatalk
    bbq10l likes this.
    01-10-14 12:56 PM

Again the media did the same thing with the iPhone and the iPad. Didn't make a difference to consumers.

In regards to google search and their page rankings, that has nothing to do with the media.

Again the media lambasted the original iPad and the iPhone. Made no difference to consumers, gizmodo painted a target on apples back with antennagate & Foxconn bs. Didn't affect iPhone 4 sales.

Yet you claim it's the media's fault that bb10 has failed. It's not. The buck stops with blackberry.
    01-10-14 01:06 PM
    You're not going to find many comparisons due to the lack of interest. Blackberry is failing at releasing compelling products.

Sent from my Gold 5s using Tapatalk
    +1
    01-10-14 01:09 PM

i never said it was a conspiracy i said with all the reporting on BlackBerry all the doom and gloom talk and all the reviews starting with "from the struggleing phone make" or to little to late bullcrap. don't misread something that isn't there. the media jumped way over board sayign BlackBerry is doomed, if they continue like this it would take years for them to burn through their cash position, the media has been reporting the death of BlackBerry since stock started to fall, its been close to 3 years since it started and BlackBerry is still here. thats 3 years of people not buying BlackBerry devices 3 years of negativity talkign about the compnay goign out of business and being sold off in pieces. do you really think with all that talk people won't get scared away from buying or develop a biased opinion based of devices not selling and the quality of the product. if you don't think that it has an effect you're just dumb. humans are a pack animal and they go with what the rest of the pack does simple as that, if the pack says something is bad the whole pack will follow.

did BlackBerry make mistakes, you better believe it they did i'll be the first to stand up and say "******* right they did" but there is alot more to whats happend to them then simply just their mistakes
    01-10-14 01:16 PM
    i never said it was a conspiracy i said with all the reporting on BlackBerry all the doom and gloom talk and all the reviews starting with "from the struggleing phone make" or to little to late bullcrap. don't misread something that isn't there. the media jumped way over board sayign BlackBerry is doomed,
    But you think there is a plot by the media to focus on the "doom and gloom "
    That is the definition of a conspiracy; to conspire, to plot.

don't misread something that isn't there. the media jumped way over board sayign BlackBerry is doomed,
    Are you kidding? Blackberry had a terrible 2013.
    Were they struggling?
    Yes.
    Were they for sale?
    Yes.
    Was blackberry doomed in 2013?
    He'll yes.

Do you know how much money they lost in 2013? In the last quarter it was about 4.4 billion dollars. With excuses like; Venezuela or depreciation on inventory/components/costs, complete bs.

if they continue like this it would take years for them to burn through their cash position, the media has been reporting the death of BlackBerry since stock started to fall,
    That's not true. Watsa just gave bb another $250 million.
    It seems like they are burning more than you think.

the media has been reporting the death of BlackBerry since stock started to fall, its been close to 3 years since it started and BlackBerry is still here. thats 3 years of people not buying BlackBerry devices 3 years of negativity talkign about the compnay goign out of business and being sold off in pieces. do you really think with all that talk people won't get scared away from buying or develop a biased opinion based of devices not selling and the quality of the product.
    So that is the media's fault for reporting the news?

I guess your not one of the investors suing blackberry for misleading statements:

"The suit accuses BlackBerry of making a series of materially false and misleading statements and omissions related to the Companys business and operations, relating to its Sept. 20 pre-announcement of a huge quarterly loss. Seven days later, the company reported a $965 million operating loss....BlackBerry failed to inform investors that, contrary to the Companys statements that its new BlackBerry 10 line of smart phones financially strengthened BlackBerry and positioned the Company on the road to recovery, BlackBerrys business, operations and financial situation was made even worse by the introduction of the BlackBerry 10 platform, which was poorly received by the market, the law firm said in its press release. "

if you don't think that it has an effect you're just dumb. humans are a pack animal and they go with what the rest of the pack does simple as that, if the pack says something is bad the whole pack will follow.
    Now your just making stuff up to prove your argument.

did BlackBerry make mistakes, you better believe it they did i'll be the first to stand up and say "******* right they did" but there is alot more to whats happend to them then simply just their mistakes
    Actually not really, your making excuses for them. They really messed up and made a lot of mistakes. The market reacted.
    ekv likes this.
    01-10-14 02:35 PM
    To suggest that media doesn't have any influence or hasn't had a influence on BlackBerry in particular is wrong, imo. Since the beginning of time media influence can be measured, in some cases it may not always have the desired results but it can sway a country into war.
    As far as conspiring against blackberry goes, it would probably be best to leave it alone, but they were the ones to beat at one point in time, and that is enough of a reason to be a target.
    Remember it's just another opinion and there's no reason to get upset.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 03:10 PM
    So...aside from the very general fact that both companies are (were) struggling and leadership is (was) trying to return them to prominence, how exactly is Chen's emerging strategy supposed to resemble what jobs did at Apple, in terms of specifics. It seems a stretch to me. In fact it seems quite the opposite in several important regards.
    01-10-14 03:23 PM
    Well done BlackBerry. Now let's see what bb does with Bbm as I believe they can take on skype, vyber, ovoo and be a mini social network at the same time. Also how they bring devices up to the masses expectations. Bb needs it's devices to appeal to the corporate side and still offer a excellent consumer feature set which I think Mr Chen will finally do at some point.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-10-14 03:38 PM
    It's not the strategy that's the same, it's the manner in which the strategy is being implemented that's the same. The author is comparing the level of confidence, drive and belief of John Chen to that of Steve Jobs, it's not what they do/did but how they do/did it.
    Brandon Tobias and 00stryder like this.
    01-10-14 03:41 PM
    The good thing is that good news about Blackberry are starting to pop up lately, at least more than two months ago.
    Ray UM likes this.
    01-10-14 03:46 PM
    Great. Now how about turning all that into a 30 second TV spot?

Z10
    01-10-14 04:46 PM
    The author of the article doesn't really understand why the Apple/Microsoft deal was important. While the Microsoft cash investment was symbolically significant, the $150 million was not enough to make any real difference to Apple's fate, and everyone knew it at the time.

The most important thing that Apple secured from Microsoft at that time was a commitment to continue producing Office for the Mac. It was vital to Apple that the world's most popular software at the time continue to be available for the Mac. Losing Microsoft Office would have been the nail in the coffin for the struggling Mac platform.

And of course the reason that Microsoft made the cash investment and the software promise was to at least give the appearance of trying to keep Apple afloat. If Apple had gone out of business, Microsoft would have been under increased scrutiny by the government for its OS and software monopoly.

The cash was a signal, but the continued production of Office for the Mac was the important part of the deal.
    Last edited by Hyphenation; 01-11-14 at 12:05 PM.
    00stryder, mornhavon and Cesare21 like this.
    01-11-14 08:17 AM
    Great article OP. Perception does matter indeed.
    01-11-14 08:48 AM
    I like!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 10:56 AM
    Good read!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 02:19 PM
    Good read OP. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 02:32 PM
    So true! If people think the company is dead then they will not buy phones or BES. If they know that they have competent leadership and a good plan things will turn around. Businesses will sign up for BED and buy phones. It can be a vicious cycle.

www.mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735 Posted on my Z30
    01-11-14 04:03 PM

BlackBerry isn't out of the woods yet, with apple announcing the iPhone 25q, you know they're going to definitely have to burn the midnight oil.
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    01-11-14 04:08 PM
    https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...31547779_n.jpg

BlackBerry isn't out of the woods yet, with apple announcing the iPhone 25q, you know they're going to definitely have to burn the midnight oil.
    Haha. There is s phone to buy!

www.mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735 Posted on my Z30
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    01-11-14 04:22 PM
51 123