11-13-14 06:55 AM
93 ... 234
tools
    "That includes at least one radically new device"

I wonder whether new tablet is radical enough for BB today.
    11-10-14 04:45 PM
    What does he mean by "general purpose"?
    That's a great question. I wish someone would ask Chen that.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    11-10-14 05:06 PM
    What BB7 Devices.... they put the 9900 back into production for awhile, and that's done and over with. BBOS is pretty much done for new devices, but I imagine that until carrier's overseas start charging extra (instead of less) for BB Plans like they do here in the US.... BBOS device will be one the market for a long time.
    It is fewer devices because they are not going to release a 9210 or 9215 or whatever bb7 crap they have released since the z10 came on the market. Same number of bb10 devices with no bb7.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 08:17 PM
    Focusing on few devices is probably not a bad decision. Apple only launch phones once a year, and they are doing quite well.
    Better to focus on quality than quantity.

However, he should know what new devices are comming up during 2015.
    11-11-14 02:27 AM
    Hopefully the few devices they are going to make, are going to meet expectations of current customers.
    11-11-14 05:29 AM
    Two portrait keyboard style and a radical 4.7" slide convertible kb is what we get. I hope.

Full touch only is obviously not a huge priority for them right now.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 06:34 AM
    Focusing on few devices is probably not a bad decision. Apple only launch phones once a year, and they are doing quite well.
    Better to focus on quality than quantity.
    When they released so many devices before to appeal to specific carriers, the by-product was an extremely fragmented platform that was hard to develop for.
    11-11-14 06:34 AM
    Interesting thread,
    I hope it won't turn into yet another "Where's the all-touch flagship device?" "I'm gonna leave BlackBerry, they've given up on touch" or similar...

Let's wait and see.
    Same way the Passport was a huge surprise, turned out better than we thought, and eventually swayed many, this might just be something unexpected...

Stay positive... :-)

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    This!

I still Remember all the horrible comments when we first saw the passport screen/ leaks..

Look where we are right now

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 07:09 AM
    So he specifically decided to say there will be fewer new devices. And then, to illustrate he decided to say that he's not interested in a 5 inch touchscreen. That kind of rules out a 5 inch touchscreen anytime soon, doesn't it? Why would he say that if Blackberry has a 5 inch touchscreen on deck for next year?
    There will be a refresh of the Z3 which is a 5 inch all touch.
    11-11-14 07:47 AM
    But seriously, if there's no new full touch screen till next summer, I'll be jumping platforms. My contract ended last month.

Posted via CB10
    Why wait.. I just bought another Z30. It will last me through next summer and beyond and do everything I need it to do.
    Zirak likes this.
    11-11-14 07:54 AM
    Chen did not say there is no 5" device on the way. Read carefully guys.

Posted via CB10
    Read carefully. An updated Z3 which IS a 5 inch device..
    Smitty13 likes this.
    11-11-14 07:59 AM
    I love listening to the chatter about "my device is 9 months old and sooo outdated..." while we see many, many people using 99s and 97s each day. sure apple can put out 1 phone a year and everyone thinks it's great, then BB puts out 3 and it's not enough..
    I have yet to see 1 great reason why a Z10/30 is not an acceptable phone to purchase today.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    11-11-14 09:39 AM
    Read carefully. An updated Z3 which IS a 5 inch device..
    I can see 2 versions of this. One for Asia /africa and one for North America with LTE and better specs.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 10:32 AM
    I love listening to the chatter about "my device is 9 months old and sooo outdated..." while we see many, many people using 99s and 97s each day. sure apple can put out 1 phone a year and everyone thinks it's great, then BB puts out 3 and it's not enough..
    I have yet to see 1 great reason why a Z10/30 is not an acceptable phone to purchase today.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    PPI, resolution, processor, GPU and Camera, I'm not going to say RAM cause 2 GB is ok for now.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 12:32 PM
    Why wait.. I just bought another Z30. It will last me through next summer and beyond and do everything I need it to do.
    I have a Z30. I'm not going to buy another one. I'd buy a updated version of it fosure

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-11-14 12:59 PM
    I see the general tabloids have gotten hold of this now: BlackBerry boss John Chen admits new device unlikely in 2015 | Tech | Life and Style | Beauty and Fashion UK, Horoscopes | Daily Star | Daily Star

Shock as BlackBerry boss admits 'new devices unlikely'

SMARTPHONE giant says it will focus on other projects in 2015 and fans may have a long wait for the next BlackBerry smartphone

One of the world’s biggest smartphone makers has admitted it’s unlikely to make any new devices in 2015.
    Speaking to reuters, BlackBerry chief John Chen, said that his company will focus on its current range of phones to prevent anymore losses.
    He told the news agency "BlackBerry has survived; now we have to start looking at growth.”
    ”I'm not going to build a general purpose device, simply because it is a 5-inch touchscreen.
    "The Chinese can build one for 75 bucks, I can't get enough parts together for 75 bucks."

Chen confirmed that the company is in a “reasonably comfortable” position.
    And he even claimed that its latest Passport phone has been a success.
    However, the device which launched earlier this year, didn’t go down well with critics and many slated its odd square design and poor usability.
    Digital Spy’s Hunter Skipworth, vented his opinion stating the device was ‘the embodiment of boring’.
    BlackBerry haven’t confirmed sales figures for the Passport so it’s unclear how well it’s actually performing.
    The once dominant company have struggled in recent years as Apple, Samsung and HTC have stripped away their market share.
    According to Goldman Sachs, in June 2014 BlackBerry accounted for just one per cent share of smartphone sales, compared to a peak of around 20 percent in 2009.
    By Dave Snelling/Published 11th November 2014
    11-11-14 02:13 PM
    Headline out of thin air... Original story came from these clowns at digital spy.

BlackBerry boss John Chen: 'New devices unlikely in 2015' - Tech News - Digital Spy

In the referenced Reuters article:

There is no final decision yet on what new devices will be launched in 2015, said Chen adding that the focus will be on a core set of smartphones that are most likely to succeed. That includes at least one radically new device and product refreshes on its Passport, Classic and its mid-level Z3 touchscreen phone.
    Fortunately the writer is on twitter (@MarkLangshaw) and can be made aware of his error
    11-12-14 05:15 AM
    What does he mean by "general purpose"?

I think the wide screen of the Passport is meant to optimize it for viewing certain kinds of content: documents, tables, images, etc.

If I'm right, "general purpose" is code for 16:9 slab. I don't think an all-touch with roughly Passport size and dimensions is ruled out.

I got a feeling that a full touch Passport is coming...
    ubizmo likes this.
    11-13-14 06:55 AM
93 ... 234