11-13-14 06:55 AM
93 1234
tools
    I don't think the z3 sold as well as they anticipated in the Asian marketplace. I haven't read anything about how successful the phone was since it launched in Jakarta. IIRC it was to launch in South Africa also no? Did that happen? Perhaps your contacts might be able to give us a better insight on how many z3s BlackBerry was able to sell. My guess is not much - less than 100K? - because we've heard nothing about Foxconn producing more of them.

Posted via CB10
    Yes it's available here, gets quite a bit of radio and TV commercial air time from one or two carriers too. The thing is that the main carriers here have taken care of the entry level smartphone industry with their own white label phones and tablets at sub $100 pricing. I expected the Z3 to do well here at it's price point for a decent phone, would love to know how well it's actually doing...

"May I see your Passport please?"
    nuff_said likes this.
    11-10-14 12:53 AM
    not really liking the sound of that. Seems like they are doing some slider or something. So many people just want a simple z10/z30 replacement build like a passport. Its not hard to ask for really. sigh
    Just use Z30. It runs the OS flawlessly.

Z30 STA 100-2
    anon(2313227) and svelt like this.
    11-10-14 04:43 AM
    totally agree
    11-10-14 05:03 AM
    yes its called the 6s and 6s+ and I know whats in apple's plans the next few years as well
    So true. I like the diversity of the BB devices. Especially targeting a significantly smaller market spending much less $. I wish Apple would try...
    11-10-14 05:18 AM
    I'd take a virtual kb passport.
    menshawy likes this.
    11-10-14 05:31 AM
    I'm kinda bummed, especially with the lack of options on Verizon. If they keep offering the Z30, get the Passport and the Classic, I'll be happy. This exclusive carrier crap is ridiculous.

I'm afraid to push people towards the Z30 if at any time, Verizon will discontinue it again.
    menshawy and kbz1960 like this.
    11-10-14 05:57 AM
    I love the overreaction to every word he utters. A year ago we weren't sure BlackBerry would even exist. Now they've saved the company, have a plan for the future, are coming out with unusual and interesting devices and people are throwing their toys out of the pram.

Let's see what happens, and if they don't release something you want (and they do want to release something you want) then there's a whole array of different phones out there that you can choose instead.

The Passport was new, fascinating and radical and lots of people loved it. Any radical device next year is not going to be the same sort of thing, there'd be no point. Wait and see, or if you don't want to wait and see, get something else.

They're doing fine.

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto, Bluenoser63 and ubizmo like this.
    11-10-14 06:00 AM
    Not sure he really said anything new.... We have know they were streamlining the product line and that competing on just hardware was a losing cause in the consumer market.

I think the one thing I got from this is Chen sort of sort of indicated that the Z3 has failed. The developing markets are lost to BlackBerry as those Chinese companies make devices that BlackBerry can't compete on hardware & price with, and right now BB10 doesn't offer any add features like BBOS did - really the only feature I've seen in the Z3 forums was that it ran BBM better than other devices - but then BBM has been losing popularity in many of those markets due to the late release and poor performance of cross-plat from BBM... so WeChat, Line, Hike, WhatsApp have taken a big bite out of the market and made owning a BlackBerry not all that important for many consumers there.
    11-10-14 07:38 AM
    The all-touch 16:9 slab has become the default smartphone form factor. To compete in that market, an OEM must offer something special. At the moment, BlackBerry doesn't have anything to bring to the table. The PKB niche market may be (is) small, but BlackBerry can still make money there, so it makes sense to focus on it. For this reason, I agree with those who speculate that the Visa with foldaway keyboard will be the forthcoming "revolutionary" device.

Resisting the temptation to throw more all-touch devices at the market is what "discipline" looks like, at this stage of the game.

Meanwhile, I think BlackBerry is working very hard to bring BB10 and related software services to a level that truly does differentiate it. Those of us who are using it already see the potential, but we also see some of the obstacles, such as Contacts and the native Facebook app. They've made fast progress developing BB10, and I expect that to continue. The power features of BBOS will continue to be implemented; Blend will be improved; etc. Hopefully native apps, such as Facebook (which is now part of most people's definition of "mobile communication") will be updated. I think the gamble is that at some point, maybe not too far off, BB10 will simply be too good to ignore. But they're not there yet, so they need to stay in their lane, which is PKB devices, until there is real market demand (as opposed to CB demand) for something else.
    11-10-14 07:59 AM
    I'll be leaving Verizon if the next flagship all touch is not carried by them.
    11-10-14 08:55 AM
    I'll be getting whichever one Verizon has out, come February/March. Hopefully it's the Passport, but the Classic would be fun to try too.
    11-10-14 09:20 AM
    But seriously, if there's no new full touch screen till next summer, I'll be jumping platforms. My contract ended last month.

Posted via CB10
    You are not alone, but I'm trying to convince myself with the Z30 because I really really love the OS but I don't know if I will be okay with a Z30 till early 2017

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 09:28 AM
    Maybe that "radically new device" will have a 5" display
    it will be the Z50!!!
    11-10-14 09:30 AM

The Man does not know what the plans for phone production in 2015 is yet?
    Why? Because he didn't personally call you up to run his roadmap by you for your thoughts?

Where do you get this stuff? Seriously dude, if you're that bitter and disillusioned, move on.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 11-11-14 at 06:32 AM.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    11-10-14 10:44 AM
    I'm not seeing how this is fewer devices. A Passport, Classic, and Z3 successor plus one wild concept device is 4 devices.

Don't we normally get around that many a year?
    You forgot the bb7 devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 10:54 AM
    TORONTO (Reuters) -

Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...--finance.html

Selected quotes below:
    He can see that no matter what device he puts out, sales are low..so, what is the point of releasing new devices?
    11-10-14 10:59 AM
    No big deal. Z30's fine as is. I'll be patient and wait and see. A ridiculously high-spec processor and RAM isn't going to make your BB10 experience any better than the Z30, anyone "jumping ship" because that isn't being released is deluded. Lag on Android apps, I still think, is a software issue and adding more CPU/GPU/RAM isn't going to really help. Why not save a few hundred dollars off your upgrade and just get the Z30? Unless you already have a Z30 and your contract is suddenly up. Pick up an easily resellable Android flagship and be done with it.

If the Z30 is the very last all-touch BB I will be a bit miffed yes, but we don't know that yet. I don't think anything will come out for another year that will make me have device envy unless someone introduces holographic keyboards and screens.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    11-10-14 11:01 AM
    He can see that no matter what device he puts out, sales are low..so, what is the point of releasing new devices?
    That is an utterly inaccurate summary of Chen's stated position. Try again.
    Bluenoser63 and Toodeurep like this.
    11-10-14 11:23 AM
    I'm concerned that fewer devices, in conjunction with carrier exclusives, will really limit our choices for BB for a given carrier. Verizon in particular, since we can't just buy an unlocked phone from BlackBerry direct to use. I can't change carriers because my phone and service is work-provided.
    11-10-14 11:37 AM
    But they're not there yet, so they need to stay in their lane, which is PKB devices, until there is real market demand (as opposed to CB demand) for something else.
    I think this is the wrong approach to take. Blackberry is always neglecting one part or the other of its customer base and, while its decline should not be wholly attributed to this, it certainly did not help.

For example, in the beginning of the BB10 launch, BB10 devices were very developed nation consumer oriented. Businesses were neglected due to software incompatibilities as well as Blackberry's large developing consumer base due to price point. Then after Blackberry decided to focus on the developing world (ex. Indonesia) with the Q5/Z3 for a while. Now it is neglecting all consumers by giving BBW the shaft and focusing on businesses again.

BBRY should realize that it will be a tough climb regardless of which road it wants to take and playing musical chairs with its customer bases (enterprise, developed nation consumers, developing world consumers, etc.) is not doing it favors. Instead of putting all its eggs in one basket BBRY should hedge its bets and work hard to maintain the entirety of its customer base, instead.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    11-10-14 12:01 PM
    Chen did not say there is no 5" device on the way. Read carefully guys.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 12:11 PM
    Instead of putting all its eggs in one basket BBRY should hedge its bets and work hard to maintain the entirety of its customer base, instead.
    Except that this is the least profitable strategy you can choose if you are the smaller player. "Work hard" means spending more money. One assumes that everyone is already working hard and that hard work won't buy commercials nor add additional sales force. The most effective strategy for a smaller player is to focus your efforts.
    app_Developer and Hlao-roo like this.
    11-10-14 12:11 PM
    Chen did not say there is no 5" device on the way. Read carefully guys.

Posted via CB10
    Well yes and he also pointed to the fact that the market is flooded with 5" slabs that means he won't invest into another slab unless he made it somehow special.

That's what I thought when I saw the Visa / Victoria patents. What we were looking at was probably what is going to be introduced to fill the cell of high end full touch device. That's what is going to get the specs. But standard slabs will come in cheap forms such as the Z3

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 01:19 PM
    You forgot the bb7 devices.

Posted via CB10
    What BB7 Devices.... they put the 9900 back into production for awhile, and that's done and over with. BBOS is pretty much done for new devices, but I imagine that until carrier's overseas start charging extra (instead of less) for BB Plans like they do here in the US.... BBOS device will be one the market for a long time.
    11-10-14 01:30 PM
    "I'm not going to build a general purpose device, simply because it is a 5-inch touchscreen," he said, referring to the wide array of fairly standardized touchscreen smartphones in the market right now. "The Chinese can build one for 75 bucks, I can't get enough parts together for 75 bucks."
    What does he mean by "general purpose"?

I think the wide screen of the Passport is meant to optimize it for viewing certain kinds of content: documents, tables, images, etc.

If I'm right, "general purpose" is code for 16:9 slab. I don't think an all-touch with roughly Passport size and dimensions is ruled out.
    11-10-14 01:59 PM
93 1234