11-13-14 07:55 AM
93 1234
tools
    So he specifically decided to say there will be fewer new devices. And then, to illustrate he decided to say that he's not interested in a 5 inch touchscreen. That kind of rules out a 5 inch touchscreen anytime soon, doesn't it? Why would he say that if Blackberry has a 5 inch touchscreen on deck for next year?
    The question is, whether it's gonna be touchscreen (of some kind) or vanilla all-touch...

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    11-09-14 06:43 PM
    Uh-oh

This is going to be bad for the all touch crowd. A lot the people that have been converted to physical and now swear by it might take a look at other brands now. Oh well, time to start shopping around for a Z30 it is then

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 06:57 PM
    So he specifically decided to say there will be fewer new devices. And then, to illustrate he decided to say that he's not interested in a 5 inch touchscreen. That kind of rules out a 5 inch touchscreen anytime soon, doesn't it? Why would he say that if Blackberry has a 5 inch touchscreen on deck for next year?
    I think the Z3 is a 5 inch screen, so people assume that the next touch screen device from Blackberry would be a 5inch device.
    11-09-14 06:58 PM
    5 inch isn't the keyword, its mid tier that irks people a ton I think
    11-09-14 07:02 PM
    He should at least push out the LTE Z3 (Manitoba) he ALREADY said was coming lol.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    11-09-14 07:06 PM
    For the touchscreen crowd they have to understand that Blackberry cannot make a device without carrier support, buy in, of some kind. I am sure Blackberry is willing to make a full touchscreen device, but they have to lock in some carriers in order to make it happen. Hence why I stated that T-Mobile maybe the only carrier in the US that would be willing to support a flagship touchscreen blackberry device, as it will given their ceo something to hammer the other usa carriers with and try to get user to jump ship to TMobile.
    11-09-14 07:07 PM
    He should at least push out the LTE Z3 he ALREADY said was coming lol.
    Maybe the shopblackberry blowout is to cover the cost of the LTE Z3, since that phone may not have carrier support in the USA and other places. The Z3 LTE has never been officially announced like the classic was in February, so it can still be technically cancel without the CEO taking a hit for it the in mainstream press.
    11-09-14 07:12 PM
    He should at least push out the LTE Z3 (Manitoba) he ALREADY said was coming lol.
    I don't think the z3 sold as well as they anticipated in the Asian marketplace. I haven't read anything about how successful the phone was since it launched in Jakarta. IIRC it was to launch in South Africa also no? Did that happen? Perhaps your contacts might be able to give us a better insight on how many z3s BlackBerry was able to sell. My guess is not much - less than 100K? - because we've heard nothing about Foxconn producing more of them.

Posted via CB10
    ChainPunch likes this.
    11-09-14 07:22 PM
    Glad I just bought a Z30. Might have to pick up another one to get for the wife. We have both been converted to all touch from PKB by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 07:22 PM
    Didn't they already more or less sever their relationship with t-mobile? I mean, it'd be great of they had that. I am still going to be sad because I am stuck with Verizon, living in the western united states.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 07:24 PM
    Didn't they already more or less sever their relationship with t-mobile? I mean, it'd be great of they had that. I am still going to be sad because I am stuck with Verizon, living in the western united states.

Posted via CB10
    The relationship is severed, but that does not mean a new deal can not be worked out. TMobile still have tmobile branded blackberry devices and unlocked blackberry devices on their network. At some point they will realize that they will need to provide them a blackberry device that Tmobile can sell to them.
    11-09-14 07:33 PM
    I don't see this as a negative at all. From the sounds of it, they still want to release about 2-4 phones a year. That is already twice as many as Apple is doing.

If for 2015, they release
    -a "radically new device",
    -a new qwerty or a new full touch,
    -a premium device P'XXXX

that would be just fine.

Historically
    2013 - Q10, Z10, Q5, Z30, P'9982(Premium Z10),
    2014 - Z3, Passport, Classic, P'9983 (Premium Q10)

Honestly, the Q5 was the same as the Q10 and is pretty pointless, likewise with the Z3 vs the Z10/Z30. Too much overlap.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    11-09-14 07:50 PM
    I'm not seeing how this is fewer devices. A Passport, Classic, and Z3 successor plus one wild concept device is 4 devices.

Don't we normally get around that many a year?
    11-09-14 08:15 PM
    why would he do this when there is an onslaught of cheap yet good chinese 5" Android phones that will slaughter the market, as Samsung is quickly learning.

There simply isn't enough demand for a BB 5" high end touch screen. The slow selling Z30 and the smaller Z10 write down are proof of this. The Z30 is on fire sale and its STILL far from being sold out.

Why would he want to test these waters yet again with a new, expensive 5" high end device that relatively few people will buy?

Think about it.

Say what you want, but Chen knows whats going on.....
    11-09-14 08:43 PM
    If true many will jump ship.
    Very very disappointed.

Last straw?

I just stopped fighting to get BlackBerry back into the company I work for.

They don't seem to think the Z30 sold well I guess.

I'm tired of the inconsistent message and product production from BlackBerry .

With this attitude the Apple/IBM partnership will eventually force BlackBerry out of the phone and Enterprise market.
    Why would I buy a BlackBerry MDM solution (software) when I can go with Apple phones and IBM hardware made to work together?
    I wouldn't.

J.C. Doesn't get it.....

The Man does not know what the plans for phone production in 2015 is yet?

Fail!

I am sure Apple does have a plan.

BlackBerry hates America!
    He goes over his thoughts on the Apple/IBM alliance during his Q&A while he was in Hong Kong:

Essentially, he sees the partnership more about Enterprise applications and not hardware. He also doesn't seem to take the partnership seriously yet because the two have tried such partnerships in the past and failed because as he put it, "if you have two elephants dancing together they are bound to step on each other's toes." However, he would like to position BlackBerry so that Apple/IBM applications can run on top of the BlackBerry platform.

I highly recommend to anyone that wants to see where Chen is planning on taking the company in the next few years to check out the video. He makes it clear in the video that he is not going to chase the consumer market anytime soon because BlackBerry doesn't have the resources to adequately compete in that space. He says the $3.1 billion in cash that they have is not near enough to compete in the consumer market so he's not going to risk the company trying to chase it because he sees Samsung selling millions of devices yet it's struggling to make money. Instead he is going to focus on the Enterprise market and make the company profitable first.
    11-09-14 08:50 PM
    Crackberry site are mostly for users that are proud of their phones, software and hardware. To expect conservative products in the medium term is like the wife telling her husband he'll have to do with his 46" 1080p TV instead of the 70" 4K OLED monster for the SuperBowl. What will die-hard BB10 users talk about in the next two years, how the Z30 is still the best touchscreen phone in the universe and how the KB Passport is better than any Touchscreen phone around? Might as well call this site CrackEnterpriseBerry.com
    11-09-14 09:18 PM
    Glad I just bought a Z30. Might have to pick up another one to get for the wife. We have both been converted to all touch from PKB by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I might be in the minority, but I want to get back to a pkb... ideally with a passport on vzw (I know it might not happen).

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    11-09-14 09:18 PM
    For the touchscreen crowd they have to understand that Blackberry cannot make a device without carrier support, buy in, of some kind. I am sure Blackberry is willing to make a full touchscreen device, but they have to lock in some carriers in order to make it happen. Hence why I stated that T-Mobile maybe the only carrier in the US that would be willing to support a flagship touchscreen blackberry device, as it will given their ceo something to hammer the other usa carriers with and try to get user to jump ship to TMobile.
    Verizon does not carry the PP.
    T-MOBILE doesn't carry the PP.
    USCC doesn't carry BlackBerry at all.
    Only ATT carries it here.

Snap!

11-09-14 09:37 PM
    Verizon does not carry the PP.
    T-MOBILE doesn't carry the PP.
    USCC doesn't carry BlackBerry at all.
    Only ATT carries it here.
    Snap!

US Cellular has one Blackberry and that is the BBOS 7 Curve. I have one in my hands right now. My hope is the Classic will be picked up by US Cellular, given that we might have enough of a keyboard user based that US Cellular will pickup the Classic, since the Classic is the device that is design to get people off of BBOS devices.
    11-09-14 10:09 PM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    why would he do this when there is an onslaught of cheap yet good chinese 5" Android phones that will slaughter the market, as Samsung is quickly learning.

There simply isn't enough demand for a BB 5" high end touch screen. The slow selling Z30 and the smaller Z10 write down are proof of this. The Z30 is on fire sale and its STILL far from being sold out.

Why would he want to test these waters yet again with a new, expensive 5" high end device that relatively few people will buy?

Think about it.

Say what you want, but Chen knows whats going on.....
    This...

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 10:38 PM
    The travesties of a "niche-based" company.

Posted from a D618
    11-09-14 11:02 PM
    not really liking the sound of that. Seems like they are doing some slider or something. So many people just want a simple z10/z30 replacement build like a passport. Its not hard to ask for really. sigh
    True, but the Z10 and Z30, while great devices, didn't do much to attract people to switch from other platforms. BlackBerry needs a more innovative product in that form factor (like the visa patent we saw). The passport is the innovative qwerty product. Although it remains to be seen if it will do well for BlackBerry. (So far as we know though, it looks promising).

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 11:20 PM

J.C. Doesn't get it.....

The Man does not know what the plans for phone production in 2015 is yet?

Fail!

I am sure Apple does have a plan.

yes its called the 6s and 6s+ and I know whats in apple's plans the next few years as well
    Toodeurep and Greened like this.
    11-10-14 12:31 AM
    But seriously, if there's no new full touch screen till next summer, I'll be jumping platforms. My contract ended last month.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 12:37 AM
    - Z3 [form factor] with spec increase and LTE is the new Z10.
    - Passport and Classic will supply the QWERTY diehards with what they want.
    - Visa/Victoria will get the slider folks and everyone else.

Now everyone is happy!

Was wondering why that never came out... maybe because the Visa/Victoria might be coming sooner than we thought next year?
    11-10-14 12:41 AM
93 1234