11-13-14 07:55 AM
93 123 ...
tools
    TORONTO (Reuters) -
    BlackBerry, which has completed the first phase of its two-year turnaround plan, is now focused on profitability and will not spread itself thin by attempting to launch too many new devices, its chief executive said.
    Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...--finance.html

Selected quotes below:
    11-09-14 04:48 PM
    There is no final decision yet on what new devices will be launched in 2015, said Chen adding that the focus will be on a core set of smartphones that are most likely to succeed. That includes at least one radically new device and product refreshes on its Passport, Classic and its mid-level Z3 touchscreen phone.
    11-09-14 04:50 PM
    "I'm not going to build a general purpose device, simply because it is a 5-inch touchscreen," he said, referring to the wide array of fairly standardized touchscreen smartphones in the market right now. "The Chinese can build one for 75 bucks, I can't get enough parts together for 75 bucks."
    11-09-14 04:51 PM
    Intriguing comment...

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 04:54 PM
    But I want one :'( Z50

Posted via CB Z30
    Paul86, Thesmartmale and menshawy like this.
    11-09-14 04:58 PM
    If true many will jump ship.
    Very very disappointed.

Last straw?

I just stopped fighting to get BlackBerry back into the company I work for.

They don't seem to think the Z30 sold well I guess.

I'm tired of the inconsistent message and product production from BlackBerry .

With this attitude the Apple/IBM partnership will eventually force BlackBerry out of the phone and Enterprise market.
    Why would I buy a BlackBerry MDM solution (software) when I can go with Apple phones and IBM hardware made to work together?
    I wouldn't.

J.C. Doesn't get it.....

The Man does not know what the plans for phone production in 2015 is yet?

Fail!

I am sure Apple does have a plan.

BlackBerry hates America!
    Last edited by trsbbs; 11-09-14 at 05:17 PM.
    Mansoor2 likes this.
    11-09-14 05:03 PM
    If true many will jump ship.
    Very very disappointed.

Last straw?

BlackBerry hates America!

Maybe that "radically new device" will have a 5" display
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    11-09-14 05:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 05:06 PM
    Maybe that "radically new device" will have a 5" display
    And what will be radically new about it? Will it be square?
    11-09-14 05:08 PM
    And what will be radically new about it? Will it be square?
    Maybe this? - http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...device-959690/
    mjdimer likes this.
    11-09-14 05:25 PM
    As a share holder, I like what I'm hearing. He needs to have a couple of physical keyboard and a couple of virtual keyboard devices to serve their core markets. I don't see them ignoring either segment, just being disciplined and focused when bringing new products to market.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    blackmoe, acovey and potatoguy like this.
    11-09-14 05:29 PM
    Hmmm I think the only full touch phone coming out next year will feature something different.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 05:44 PM
    I kinda saw that coming.
    (Sorry to disappoint the hardcore all-touch crowd. I like my Zeddy, too.)

(C)He(n)'s not gonna build a plain vanilla mainstream 5inch slab any time soon. My guess.

It might well be a 5inch / 16:9 touchscreen device, but with some sort of productivity enhancing differentiator, just like we've seen with the Visa/Victoria concept. Or something else we've never seen before.

Maybe this device still makes the touch-crowd happy, if it can be enabled in "Z30 mode", allowing you to completely disregard the additions...

The ones waiting for a slider or (keyboard) "hider" will definitely have more than just a look at this device...

Whichever way, I'm glad BlackBerry is still alive and innovating
    :-)

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    acovey likes this.
    11-09-14 05:47 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I like what I am hearing also from Blackberry CEO Chen... focus on a few devices... but ensure super high quality winners.... consumers win... businesses win... and Blackberry continues on a path of prosperity thus ensuring even better things to come....

Spreading yourself too thin trying to be everything is a recipe for mediocrity and eventual bankruptcy....

Building the Blackberry Brand..

With a CEO who knows what he's doing...

From my World Class Passport

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 05:47 PM
    not really liking the sound of that. Seems like they are doing some slider or something. So many people just want a simple z10/z30 replacement build like a passport. Its not hard to ask for really. sigh
    Paul86, mkiiw and Thesmartmale like this.
    11-09-14 05:48 PM
    I like what I am hearing also from Blackberry CEO Chen... focus on a few devices... but ensure super high quality winners.... consumers win... businesses win... and Blackberry continues on a path of prosperity thus ensuring even better things to come....

Spreading yourself too thin trying to be everything is a recipe for mediocrity and eventual bankruptcy....

Building the Blackberry Brand..

With a CEO who knows what he's doing...

From my World Class Passport

Posted via CB10
    You posted the very same moment. :-)
    I had it sitting here for a while tweaking the words...

Apple is successful with two phones per year (5s,5c/6,6+), but they don't have the keyboard segment to cater for.

11-09-14 05:53 PM
    I think a passport with a virtual keyboard is what's next.

Posted via CB10
    NYTOC83 and kfh227 like this.
    11-09-14 05:53 PM
    I think a passport with a virtual keyboard is what's next.

Posted via CB10
    That won't work because it's extremely wide and very small place for the keyboard

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    11-09-14 06:08 PM
    Well it make sense from a business stand point, as Chen has access to the numbers on the z3/z10/z30 sells. Also, carriers may have mention that they are uninterested in carrying any touch screen devices from Blackberry. What I expect to happen in the USA is that the classic will be offered by: Verizon, US Cellular, and Sprint. Passport and the radically new device will be on At and T, as it seems that At and T is more willing to take a chance on new device that are different than anything out there. Remember At and T was the only carrier in the usa that had the original torch. As for the updated version of the Z3 for North America, I don't know if we are going to see anything given the rumor on N4BB that Chen is looking to cancel the Z3 LTE version for North America but people inside of the company have been changing the code name to keep Chen from canceling it all together.

Will Blackberry ever produce a flagship touchscreen device, my view is yes but it will not happen until the company is on solid foot financially. Look for an flagship touchscreen after 2 years of Chen being CEO and I am willing to go one step further and say that it will be sold by Tmobile.
    11-09-14 06:13 PM
    As a share holder, I like what I'm hearing. He needs to have a couple of physical keyboard and a couple of virtual keyboard devices to serve their core markets. I don't see them ignoring either segment, just being disciplined and focused when bringing new products to market.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    Exactly, nothing new. We have a core constituency and we will focus on them. Stating the obvious.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 06:27 PM
    Quality not quantity...........
    11-09-14 06:33 PM
    So he specifically decided to say there will be fewer new devices. And then, to illustrate he decided to say that he's not interested in a 5 inch touchscreen. That kind of rules out a 5 inch touchscreen anytime soon, doesn't it? Why would he say that if Blackberry has a 5 inch touchscreen on deck for next year?
    11-09-14 06:34 PM
    Interesting thread,
    I hope it won't turn into yet another "Where's the all-touch flagship device?" "I'm gonna leave BlackBerry, they've given up on touch" or similar...

Let's wait and see.
    Same way the Passport was a huge surprise, turned out better than we thought, and eventually swayed many, this might just be something unexpected...

Stay positive... :-)

11-09-14 06:41 PM
    Makes complete business sense to me.
    I'd rather BBRY get healthy as a company first because they cannot survive on hardware with only 1% market share.

I'd hope they focus more on polishing the OS further (hint hint....camera focus, app compatibility)
    Hardware specs wise, the Z30 is not bad. Build quality is also good, but I agree, it's not Passport good.

One option would be to license BB10 to other HW manufacturers like Samsung.
    Not sure if BB loyalists will buy though.
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    11-09-14 06:41 PM
    This is pretty much what I expected.
    11-09-14 06:42 PM
93 123 ...