12-02-13 11:51 PM
61 123
tools
    Darn no more BlackBerry Jams on my sliced bread? >_<

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 12:23 AM
    Yep. They're huge events too. Tickets sell out faster than a Jimmy Buffet concert. It's crazy how much they spend on the events, especially with all the goodies they give away. Well maybe not Samsung so much, but Google throws a good party.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    And now Google can get more apps for BlackBerry

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    11-14-13 12:40 AM
    No point in having multiple developer conferences when half of the apps come from one developer.
    11-14-13 12:58 AM
    It's all about perception. Say what you want but not having faith in developer relationships by canceling one Jam is a big deal for a struggling company to get apps. They can't afford to send out mixed messages to the public since they didn't go private and they're being scrutinized by every move that they make. One jam may not hurt them, but the perception of them cancelling it and not wanting to attract new developers will hurt them.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 02:33 AM
    Well I think it's safe to say BlackBerry knows it's strategy for attracting native apps developers has not worked out all that well. Makes sense to re-evaluate. Why spend the money on an event that'll likely help nothing.?

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    mkelley65 likes this.
    11-14-13 02:45 AM
    ..Google throws a good party.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    BlackBerry would rather throw a mental-emotional Roller Coaster it seems! (LOL)

Z10 via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-14-13 03:00 AM
    Can anyone attend BlackBerry Jam or do you have to sign up somewhere for this?
    11-14-13 03:22 AM
    Yes but he does mention QNX which primary use currently is for BB10 and he talks about adopting a new device strategy and I am assuming those devices use BB10.
    You've made a assumption - there is nothing in there that says their device strategy involves *making* any devices.
    11-14-13 03:41 AM
    No point in having multiple developer conferences when half of the apps come from one developer.
    Maybe the next developer conference will be over dinner? "So if you guys could turn out another 20,000 apps - more wine?"
    h20work and JeepBB like this.
    11-14-13 03:42 AM
    Qnx is software industry wide asset. This can be split off as a separate division and make good money. Bb10 unfortunately is a major liability.
    11-14-13 04:20 AM
    I'm surprised at the speed at which the cancellation of one event leads to full-blown speculation that BB10's fate is sealed.

Verizon Q10 with 10.2 :-)
    They also said they were reevaluating future events. This, together with chens non mention of bb10, is very ominous. Even with a new management team coming in you would not want to disrupt relationships with developers.
    I'm guessing they see a switch to Android solving a lot of their fundamental problems.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-14-13 04:31 AM
    Maybe the next developer conference will be over dinner? "So if you guys could turn out another 20,000 apps - more wine?"
    Knowing BlackBerry's business opulence, they'd probably be serving champagne.
    h20work likes this.
    11-14-13 05:24 AM
    I'm guessing they see a switch to Android solving a lot of their fundamental problems.
    Solving fundamental problems? Their only fundamental problem is their lack of major applications. What else is there?

A switch to Android would create an enormous problem for BlackBerry in government and anywhere else where BES and security are important.

BlackBerry would then have the problem of being yet another face in the Android crowd, where it would take a backseat to Samsung and all the other established Android manufacturers.

BlackBerry has enough of these indie developer apps. They ought to spend the money they're saving by canceling Jams, and pay developers of major applications or something.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 06:12 AM
    Qnx is software industry wide asset. This can be split off as a separate division and make good money. Bb10 unfortunately is a major liability.
    They can't be making that much money if RIM bought them for 200 million dollars.
    11-14-13 06:23 AM
    They also said they were reevaluating future events. This, together with chens non mention of bb10, is very ominous. Even with a new management team coming in you would not want to disrupt relationships with developers.
    I hope not. They would lose Enterprise customers if they switched from BB10 OS to Android. I know for our company, if that happened, I would be switching all our mobile devices to iOS ones. We only have BB10 and iOS, BB10 would be removed.
    11-14-13 06:25 AM
    "Guessing" is about right. Talk about a stretch.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 06:40 AM
    I'm surprised at the speed at which the cancellation of one event leads to full-blown speculation that BB10's fate is sealed.

Verizon Q10 with 10.2 :-)
    A one-week CEO wouldn't publish an open letter without careful examination by PR and top executives. Obviously in QNX they aren't including BB10 because the intended audience doesn't know the relation. With the omission of BB10 they are sending a message.

This is a painful decision but It's the best for BlackBerry. They have to concentrate all the resources in areas where they can succeed. This great company could have a bright future with BES10 and BBM. BB10 was a beautiful project that unfortunately failed and became an untenable financial burden.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-14-13 07:00 AM
    Man do people speculate. It's one event, just because Chen didn't say BB10 doesn't mean they are killing it. I'll wait for a statement/announcement that isthe case. Continue with your speculations.
    11-14-13 07:34 AM
    Hey hey hey! Please calm down. QNX was mentioned instead of BB10 because BB10 is one of QNX many projects. IMHO BlackBerry invested too much money in BB10 to switch to android now. QNX will do wonders for BlackBerry.

Long live BlackBerry!
    11-14-13 08:06 AM
    Not sure why so many assume BlackBerry would abandon BB10 for Android. They could theoretically support more than one platform. A few other vendors do it.
    11-14-13 08:17 AM
    1. No mention of BlackBerry 10 moving forward. QNX is primarily used in embedded systems, it's primary use is not BB10.

2. There is no new features set forth on the 10.2.1 developer road map.

3. He talks about success but doesn't say in exactly what area the success will be in. Suspicion by most: not hardware.

4."efforts to TRANSFORM our business " = get ready for huge change, this will not be the BlackBerry you are used to selling phones.

Etc
    Air Force One and JeepBB like this.
    11-14-13 08:27 AM
    They should at least hold a dinner party

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    11-14-13 08:38 AM
    +1

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 09:28 AM
    I like what you said. It just makes me sad that if they nix BB10, consumers like you and I will not have any more new toys from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 09:29 AM
    1. No mention of BlackBerry 10 moving forward. QNX is primarily used in embedded systems, it's primary use is not BB10.

2. There is no new features set forth on the 10.2.1 developer road map.

3. He talks about success but doesn't say in exactly what area the success will be in. Suspicion by most: not hardware.

4."efforts to TRANSFORM our business " = get ready for huge change, this will not be the BlackBerry you are used to selling phones.

Etc
    If that's the truth. We the regular consumers will have no more new goodies from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 09:30 AM
61 123