Read comment on "struggling brand"....

Powerful spyware apps let the government control everything on your phone

"Recently, it's been focusing on the tool's mobile modules -- malware designed to monitor and log data from Android, iOS, Windows Mobile and BlackBerry devices. Since one of those platforms is a struggling brand and the other has already been replaced, the team focused on modules designed specifically for iOS and Android -- the analysis revealed a shockingly powerful surveillance system."
    06-24-14 07:27 PM
    Actually, I wouldn't go as far as to say they "called out"" BBRY as being "hackable". More like they wanted to target all the platforms but didn't bother with BBRY and Windows for the reasons stated, choosing to focus instead on Android and iOS.

A matter of how one interprets the statement, I think. I can easily see how you came to the conclusion you did.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-24-14 07:45 PM
    I like how they linked the struggling brand with an old article about BB losing a billion dollars.

I dare them to try. Tell us that BlackBerry is not secure as everyone thinks. They want to slag on BlackBerry so much but don't bother slitting the throat because it's 'not worth their time and effort." Yeah right. They got nothing. This company needs to access your phone physically and can only get in through a hacked up phone. What about Android? Why did they talk about iPhone and Android and then only explain how it affects an iPhone? The problem with this is not that they brushed off BlackBerry. The problem is lazy writing. Engadget is not the only culprit, but this is lazy journalism at its finest.

I should not have given them my click.
    06-24-14 07:51 PM
    Yh, I bet they tried, dey failed, so the excuse became what you read...

Posted via CB10
    vrud likes this.
    06-24-14 07:58 PM
    They list BBOS 4.5 and 5.0 as "hackable" and even then it's with an altered javaloader that has to be manually launched with the device plugged in.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    06-24-14 08:16 PM
    They list BBOS 4.5 and 5.0 as "hackable" and even then it's with an altered javaloader that has to be manually launched with the device plugged in.

Posted via CB10
    Haha!

So what can they do on an Android? Anything at all?
    06-24-14 08:18 PM
    You guys sound very conspiratorial in your defense. Many apps, especially android and social media apps like FB, Twitter, Whatsapp get inherent permissions to tap into almost everything on your phone, from contacts, to storage, to your microphones, speakers and GPS. There's no longer a need to "hack" most phones, you're giving third parties access to everything in your universe. Its never been easier to do.

Stop using "social media", get behind the virtual BES firewall and maybe the argument of security would hold true.
    bbq10l and ViceroyPete like this.
    06-24-14 08:23 PM
    You guys sound very conspiratorial in your defense. Many apps, especially android and social media apps like FB, Twitter, Whatsapp get inherent permissions to tap into almost everything on your phone, from contacts, to storage, to your microphones, speakers and GPS. There's no longer a need to "hack" most phones, you're giving third parties access to everything in your universe. Its never been easier to do.

Stop using "social media", get behind the virtual BES firewall and maybe the argument of security would hold true.
    HackingTeam 2.0: The Story Goes Mobile

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 08:26 PM