Exclusive: BlackBerry board rejected proposals to break up company - sources | Reuters

Posted from Scotland while really stoned on Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1803
    11-08-13 02:21 PM
    I'm glad they didn't want to break it up. I hope they can turn this ship around. I love my Z10 and an excited to see more hand sets down the road but am even more excited to see this OS grow.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 02:29 PM
    Should have split it up.

Straight from the Z10 in my hands.
    11-08-13 03:32 PM
    Very happy with this decision. Half of the appeal of BlackBerry is the company itself. The ever enduring RIMpire. Break that up and I'd feel alienated.

Night Radio Show Tune-In and Discussion: C0012487D Q&A with an Ex-Mormon/LDS: C00121BDD
    11-08-13 03:38 PM
    so they accepted Prem's conditional, one sided, "low-ball" offer, but rejected a break-up of the company that probably would have benefited shareholder more? And this is the same board we're supposed to put our faith in while they try yet another turn around?

I'm not surprised by this, but anyone who believes the board cares about maximizing non-Fairfax shareholder value needs to think again.
    11-08-13 04:19 PM
    so they accepted Prem's conditional, one sided, "low-ball" offer, but rejected a break-up of the company that probably would have benefited shareholder more? And this is the same board we're supposed to put our faith in while they try yet another turn around?

I'm not surprised by this, but anyone who believes the board cares about maximizing non-Fairfax shareholder value needs to think again.
    It's good for the customer. Bugger the shareholders.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 05:42 PM
    The board is responsible to do what is best for all stakeholders, not just shareholders.

Posted via CB10
    Knightcrawler and szlevi like this.
    11-08-13 05:47 PM
    Depending on the outcome of this BlackBerry turnaround #2, selling the company in parts would only have been good for any shareholders that bought under the sale price of the parts.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 06:01 PM
    This isn't what they announced to their own staff, and their reorganisation doesn't support this account. They're not to be trusted.
    11-09-13 03:31 AM
    Shows how out of touch the board is. How much is the company worth to employees, shareholders and suppliers if it goes under?
    Zero.

But the bondholders - the ones who lent money to BlackBerry which is debt - will get paid off first after the company is sold off for parts.

They took care of themselves. The $1bn loan will be paid off no matter what. Now that Prem has more than adequate representation on the board, we know who will be protected.

And the BoD can continue on their way: "Three more months". "This strategy will REALLY work, unless the last one". And shaft the shareholders.
    11-09-13 06:31 AM
    I don't think breaking it up was rejected just for the sake of keeping it whole.

Breaking up a company and parting it out is not an easy task. The biggest concerns breaking it up are twofold. First, all parts need to be sold so you're not left sitting with unsold parts that are worthless or value diminished without the support of other parts. Second, somebody has to offer enough money to make the sale of any individual part or parts worthwhile.

I'm willing to bet that any rejections thus far are simply a result of both those points not being met.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    11-09-13 07:10 AM
    Of course breaking up a company is difficult - but it may be the best thing to do for the shareholders (and bondholders). It stinks for employees and suppliers. Depends on which group you are trying to satisfy. Since some have said that BlackBerry's patents are worth billions and xBBM is worth billions it might make sense to sell off lesser units (like hardware) to someone who wants it. But the Board decided against this approach. And since Prem didn't like the financing terms he got (I guess that doesn't count as not getting the financing) all they are left with is a loan. Convertible under highly favorable terms.

Next time they might not be so picky. Expect more lawsuits....
    11-09-13 07:16 AM
    The board is responsible to do what is best for all stakeholders, not just shareholders.

Posted via CB10
    That's it and that's the way it should be. Anyone else crying out loud is just another mouthpiece, clowning for the shareholders.
    This entire idiotic phenomenon that a company literally only exists to server the shareholders' interests is long been proved dead wrong, see relevant pieces from Harvard Business Review etc.

Sent from my C6833 using CB Forums mobile app
    11-09-13 11:37 AM
    Add this to the list of things shareholders will cry about

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 12:51 PM