10-04-13 12:17 PM
98 ... 234
tools
    Looking at the huge lines for iphones today I'd say this is a load of bollocks.
    09-20-13 03:01 PM
    larger screen phone makes sense than smaller phone and a tablet. it is just too expensive to have two devices with two data plans and tablet without data plan is useless on the go.
    I just had a wild idea, what about a tablet that tethers to a phone? RIM had a shot there, missed.

BlackBerry targeted market is for people who want to get stuff done!! LOL

Posted via CB10
    While I see how that was intended to be amusing, that's actually part of the problem.

The whole time I was reading this thread I was thinking of the folks (and this is not a small group) who will utterly refuse to get a BlackBerry for personal use because they have one from work and they hate it; it's a work tool that they can't leave at work. That's all they see a BlackBerry as: a work tool. This pertains to old and new devices - it's not the age of the BlackBerry doing the damage (well, partially, cuz GOD) - the problem is that they're on call for anything no matter how trivial, which generates a hatred for the thing keeping them tied to their jobs when not actually on the premises. Naturally, they buy something not-BlackBerry, they already have something for "getting things done" that's a constant source of angst.
    Chris Marsch likes this.
    09-20-13 03:22 PM
    BlackBerry targeted market is for people who want to get stuff done!! LOL

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, you can get stuff done on other platforms as well - better and easier than on a Blackberry in most cases due to the integrated 1st party services and high quality apps preloaded on the device/available from those app stores.

The sad thing is that if BB users didn't bury their heads in the sands and deal with subpar devices and lackluster user experiences for so long - instead of making excuses for Blackberry - things could have looked a lot different. I think one of the worst things about BB's "ecosystem" is actually its user base. A lot of people are not grounded in reality and have put up with such a limited user experience for so long that they are out of touch with WHY companies like Samsung and Apple have run the tables on RIM/Blackberry the past few years.

These kinds of comments are very indicative of a way of thinking grounded in the past, or at least in a very niche market these days...
    09-20-13 03:24 PM
    It's too bad Apple is so darn stubborn. If they were to really incorporate things that users ask for they would be unbeatable.

Ios + 4.5-5 inch screen + removable battery + NFC + real multitasking + better email/communication abilities = best smartphone ever made!
    Barely anyone uses NFC, removable battery isn't critical, multitasking in iOS is robust enough for 99% of users, email in iOS is already stellar thanks to a myriad of stellar third party apps.

The bigger screen is what is critical.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 03:27 PM
    BlackBerry Beats Apple to the Punch With Z30]
    What value is a punch if you're already unconscious from being knocked out.
    cgk likes this.
    09-20-13 04:34 PM
    What consumers clearly want is larger screens on their Android, Windows and iOs devices.
    Clearly.

Apple iPhone 5, 35 million sold
    Samsung Galaxy S III, 30 million sold
    Apple iPhone 4S, 27.5 million sold
    Apple iPhone 4, 17.6 million sold

Samsung Galaxy Note II, over 18 million sold
    LG Nexus 4, 3 million sold
    Nokia Lumia 920, 3 million sold
    HTC One X, 3 million sold
    LG Optimus G, over 1 million sold

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...le_phones#2013
    09-20-13 04:43 PM
    Too little too late (from a sulking BB fan, that's me)?
    09-20-13 05:37 PM
    BlackBerry had every opportunity to launch the Z10 with a larger screen say 4.5" (a compromise between 4" and 5") instead they went with a screen size closer to the iPhone. Another reason they are up the creek w/o a paddle.
    09-20-13 06:00 PM
    BlackBerry could have launched the Z10 with a 5-inch screen with a built-in alert which shouted at the customer as he/she walked by; it wouldn't have made a difference. The most critical decisions about form and function were made years ago, and as a result, the market has moved on.
    jh07 likes this.
    09-20-13 07:13 PM
    Looking at this thread after todays news just makes you shake your head at anyone thinking Blackberry beat anyone to the punch on anything.
    09-20-13 08:27 PM
    Barely anyone uses NFC, removable battery isn't critical, multitasking in iOS is robust enough for 99% of users, email in iOS is already stellar thanks to a myriad of stellar third party apps.

The bigger screen is what is critical.

Posted via CB10
    Once Isis launches support for more CCs and the Serve Reloadable Card partnership goes into effect, I suspect NFC will become a lot more usable. I know once I'm not forced to add my real bank card, and can instead use the reloadable Serve card, I will be using it everywhere I can because it's convenient. I already have Isis loaded and set up on my phone, waiting for the latter to happen.

3rd party email clients only blossomed on iOS because Gmail is so terrible to use in a client that isn't designed for that mail service due to the way they organize email. Gmail's horrible UX outside of a client designed for it is what spurred the mail client race on iOS. Most of them are designed first and foremost for Gmail, and it's part of the reason none of them bothered to port to Android, which has its own good Gmail client built in. The need for those have been mitigated quite a bit with Google launching their revamped Gmail app for iOS. An iCloud or Outlook.com user on iOS has almost no need for a 3rd party email client. Yahoo! users will likely use Yahoo!'s 1st party client so that they get email pushed to them. They do this on Android as well. Even on Android, unless your phone is terrible and from a pretty terrible OEM that doesn't know how to develop software, there is no need to install Microsoft's own app as you can get everything - including Tasks - pushed to decent stock apps via EAS.

Bigger screen is meh. Personally I'd like a bigger screen on the iPhone, but it's not like it was that much smaller than the Z10's screen. That really depends on personal preference, which is less of an issue on iOS and BB10 due to there being no competition for Apple/Blackberry. If you're buying an iPhone, you're buying it knowing full well what the specifications are. It's not like the people who skipped the GS4 to hold out for a Note III. It's all about whether they want to go after the same niches Samsung and others are hitting with Note-type devices, etc. Most iPhone users I know simply don't care that my screen is bigger or has a higher resolution, and Apple doesn't seem too concerned with this. However it has been rumored that they are testing bigger screens. This is not a year to have expected them to launch one, though. We all know how their releases are staggered...
    09-20-13 11:32 PM
    2012 - iphone 5? what?

Clearly.

Apple iPhone 5, 35 million sold
    Samsung Galaxy S III, 30 million sold
    Apple iPhone 4S, 27.5 million sold
    Apple iPhone 4, 17.6 million sold

Samsung Galaxy Note II, over 18 million sold
    LG Nexus 4, 3 million sold
    Nokia Lumia 920, 3 million sold
    HTC One X, 3 million sold
    LG Optimus G, over 1 million sold

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...le_phones#2013
    10-02-13 07:24 AM
    I like having choices. Can't the smartphone market support all of these phones? I don't think any of us would only want one manufacturer out there monopolizing everything. "Buy what we give you. Do as we say. We set the price and the law."
    So why all of the bashing?
    I choose BlackBerry. I've been happy with them even before there was an iPhone. These are just my preferences. No need to bash the other guy and the other guy doesn't need to attack either. I can express my reasons and opinion without mud-slinging.
    When we have multiple manufacturers, we all benefit.
    10-02-13 07:31 AM
    NFC is still a very much an emerging technology. Not sure what the cost was to add it to the current devices, but I imagine it is not used by very many right now. But if BlackBerry didn't have it, they would have been blasted for not having the latest tech - no win.

As for the Z30 beating Apple to the punch.... Thats like me getting first punch in on Muhammad Ali back in his prime, it wouldn't have done me any good either.

Apple does need to provide their customers with a bigger device, we know it, analyst know it, reporters know it, Apple users know it, and Apple knows it. It's all a matter of profits and perception. It will come, and it will sell... all in Apples time.
    10-02-13 07:48 AM
    Unfortunately apple can do no wrong. Slap an antenna and sim card on a full size ipad and 40 million teenagers would walk around with phones bigger than their heads, as long as the apple logo is on it. I hate it but it's hard to argue

Posted via CB10
    brunoxrs and sanjk1 like this.
    10-02-13 08:13 AM
    I like having choices. Can't the smartphone market support all of these phones? I don't think any of us would only want one manufacturer out there monopolizing everything. "
    The leading smartphone platform has multiple OEMs, so the "one manufacturer" concern is a non-issue. As for the market supporting all of these phones, I'm not sure whether it can or can't, but I do know that so far it hasn't, which is why BBRY is looking for bids.
    aniym likes this.
    10-02-13 08:46 AM
    I think the Z30 is a great device. It will likely end up in my closet with my HD-DVD, Intellevision, Betamax, and Elcassette
    Rickroller likes this.
    10-02-13 10:02 AM
    Apple does need to provide their customers with a bigger device, we know it, analyst know it, reporters know it, Apple users know it, and Apple knows it. It's all a matter of profits and perception. It will come, and it will sell... all in Apples time.
    Nope, nope and nope.

You know what the problem with phablet-sized phones like the Z30 is? And what the ehm, "contributor" to InvestorPlaces's opinion piece forgot?

Despite all the hooplah and blogpieces about phablets, they're a tiny slice of the market... How tiny? Well, a very reliable analytical study from this year, measured their share to be about 2% of the overall market and 3% of active users.
    http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/15...are-just-a-fad

Yeah, that small... The vast majority (70%) of devices and active users have 3.5-4.9 inch device. And what's even worse for Blackberry... The only manufacturer who have had success with phablets is Samsung. Other manufacturers have made them in the hopes of cashing in on Samsungs success in a high margin market, but so far they have all failed.

So in other words, what makes phablets successful isn't that people crave that form factor. (if that was the case we'd see other manufacturers than Samsung have success.)

In fact, phablets haven't been successful in general. The models that have had success, sold well because they're Samsung models, rather than because of some general craving for huge screens.

Apple doesn't need to make a much bigger device, they already have a device which is the ideal size.

You see manufacturers have studied intensely what size of device people like, and while many people say that they want a large screen, when they participate in a study, and are asked to choose between a range of devices in different sizes (without knowing the size) guess which size they choose based on ease of use and how comfortable it is?

A device between 4 and 4.5 inches!
    Onswipe

Now needless to say, that doesn't mean that Apple will never bring out a device with a larger screen. It might one day, if it finds a right balance between the trade offs involved.
    But it won't be much larger, maybe something around 4.5 inches, because they already have a device the ideal size, whether consumers think they want a bigger one, or not.
    10-02-13 10:30 AM
    You are exactly right. I love a big screen as much as the next person but it won't make me choose a phone. I have both an iphone5 and a q10 - love the size. For a larger screen, I am getting the iPad mini. A friend of mine wants to return her samsung for an iphone. Reason? She has an unconventional job and needs to carry her phone in her pocket all day. She said the samsung is too big to do that.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 11:11 AM
    I think the Z30 is a great device. It will likely end up in my closet with my HD-DVD, Intellevision, Betamax, and Elcassette
    Lmao intellivision. Love it!

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 11:16 AM
    Lmao intellivision. Love it!

Posted via CB10
    Bet there aren't many forum members that ever had an elcassette!
    Last edited by slalom; 10-03-13 at 11:23 AM.
    10-02-13 02:51 PM
    Cashgap has mis-applied the meaning of some industry stats. Read Scalemaster34 (especially last paragraph), Crackedbarry, and BBQ101-- all just above--for a proper understanding of the consumer, Apple, and appeal of a bigger screen.

As per Apple, you can be absolutely sure that they are maximizing profits per unit saturtation and undetstand the tradeoffs between their cuurent IPhone, marketing a competing 2d phone w/larger screen, or totally dropping current IP dimensuons for a new solo IPhone but w/a larger screen.

As posted, they likely will bring out a larger screen at some point, but they are biding their time awaiting the proper day to introduce.

No beating to the punch here by BlackBerry but maybe BB has suceeded in pubching itsrlf and every Z10 owner by its quick intro of a larger "slab phone" running OS10 b4 the Zed has begun to sell.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 10:37 PM
    It's too bad Apple is so darn stubborn. If they were to really incorporate things that users ask for they would be unbeatable.

Ios + 4.5-5 inch screen + removable battery + NFC + real multitasking + better email/communication abilities = best smartphone ever made!
    I take it you already use ios

Posted via Vader10
    10-04-13 12:17 PM
98 ... 234