10-04-13 12:17 PM
98 1234
tools
    Bbry was up when the z30 was announced, it dropped when that recycled Wsj article came out

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry was high when it opened and consistently went down below opening price before noon. Don't know when WSJ article came out but 1:30 took a real nose dive then up again a little. The wsj article wasn't the only business news for BlackBerry today either.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 10:39 PM
    Apple was also down nearly 5% the other day after their new phone announcement. Riddle me that.
    Apple coming out with another iPhone isn't big news. BlackBerry coming out with a design Apple doesn't have and gives some what of a choice between the Z30 and S4 is huge. But unfortunately the way BlackBerry advertises its devices most people aren't going to know about it. BlackBerry is its own worst enemy. Dam shame.

Posted via CB10
    eyhab27 likes this.
    09-18-13 10:44 PM
    I couldn't believe this article...it was actually pro BB and anti Apple, and it's not even from a BB fan site!

BlackBerry Beats Apple to the Punch With Z30 | InvestorPlace
    Just no.

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    09-18-13 10:45 PM
    I'm actually wondering if they're chasing Android at all frankly. They might feel perfectly comfortable as a (relatively) low-volume premium player in the smartphone race, similar to how Mac is positioned against PC. There doesn't seem to be much indication that Apple plans to diversify, which is what they'd need to do if they want to battle the giant that is Android.

Posted via CB10
    No plans apple wants to diversify? They came out with a smaller ipad because everyone else was, they came out with a cheaper phone cause everyone else was. Of course they want to expand they want to do it on their own terms though I guess

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    09-18-13 10:47 PM
    We're going to get two interesting sales numbers in a few day: 1) Number of BB10 units shipped this quarter - Crackberry forum median prediction is about 3 million; 2) iPhone sales for this launch weekend - Piper Jaffray estimate 5-6 million.

Will iPhone sales this weekend double BB10 shipments for this quarter? It's going to be close.
    09-18-13 10:50 PM
    Apple went up over 2% today, BlackBerry went down 1.47 % today with their announcement of the new flagship phone. Does anyone look at the real numbers before bashing Apple

Posted via CB10
    Ah, did you not see the layoff announcement? That would explain most of the decline. Plus, the same thing happened to Apple a few weeks ago. Can you explain why they dropped that day?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 11:15 PM
    It was going down as soon as it went up, look at the. Chart! I don't follow apple, don't care about apple. Do you read anything except CrackBerry in ref to blackberry. Why was blackberry up to $18 a share then took a dump? Because the z10 and q10 didn't sell . The numbers at the end of September I'm afraid are going to be real bad. The company can't survive without advertising its products. You can't put out a new phone and expect to get people to switch to blackberry when their looking to sell, maybe in pieces.
    09-18-13 11:42 PM
    Eventually more and more people will open their eyes to the vast array of choices they have and try something new and different and move away from the crowd.
    The "crowd" has always been with other devices, because Apple has never held the marketshare lead in smartphones. Specifically, the "crowd" used to be with Nokia and its devices. Now it's with Android.
    TGR1 likes this.
    09-19-13 12:05 AM
    The "crowd" has always been with other devices, because Apple has never held the marketshare lead in smartphones. Specifically, the "crowd" used to be with Nokia and its devices. Now it's with Android.
    ^^Truth. Although did Nokia also lead RIM in smartphones? I know they were overall phone king.

Apple does have extraordinarily high mind share and brand recognition, though.
    09-19-13 02:39 AM
    ^^Truth. Although did Nokia also lead RIM in smartphones? I know they were overall phone king.

Just wrote (then deleted) my life-story.
    Yes, arguably Nokia did indeed lead RIM in 'Boutique' and very functional devices.
    The Android customisation crowd seems very like the one which adopted early Symbian platforms with a great energy.
    I went to Android whilst always respecting the Apple Store's security model. I ended up here because I've always respected Blackberries and they've brought their build quality over into what I consider a platform which is sounder than the Android cluster out there.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_Communicator

Z10 via CB10
    09-19-13 05:22 AM
    Just no.

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    ?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 06:08 AM
    No plans apple wants to diversify? They came out with a smaller ipad because everyone else was, they came out with a cheaper phone cause everyone else was. Of course they want to expand they want to do it on their own terms though I guess

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    The 5C is hardly a cheaper iPhone. It's just a very intelligent way of increasing profit margins, by filling the gap that would have been taken up by the iPhone 5 with a phone that's cheaper to make. The iPad Mini is a fair point, however, but their product portfolio is still very narrow compared to Android.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 06:10 AM
    this article is very interesting.
    BBR miss the touch way, but the "big size screen" way is now and Apple will miss it...Or not.

Perhaps apple will put on the market the NEW and REVOLUTIONARY IPhone with a 5 inch screen, the Iphone 5BS.

At the end, I don't know if BBR will be save by the Z30, but for me BB10 is the best OS I know for smartphone. I just hope now that BBR will think of a new Playbook introducing BB10 on it.
    09-19-13 06:32 AM
    I agree with the author of the piece to the extent that he suggests it was a mistake by Apple not to give the iPhone a larger screen. That sucker looks positively tiny any time I see it. (I do think, however, that since this was essentially a refresh year for the iPhone, Apple may well upsize the screen for the iPhone 6 next year.) The problem with the article, though, is that the people who want a big screen and have been rebuffed by Apple (at least temporarily) are simply going to move to a Galaxy phone or an LG or a Sony. It's quite clear at this point that simply having a 5" screen isn't going to be a compelling enough factor to attract any one to the Z30.
    Dookieman likes this.
    09-19-13 06:43 AM
    Interesting perspective on things. Demand for larger screens is certainly on the rise, and I've even been tempted by the massive Galaxy Note series more than a few times. However, I'm not sure screen size will hurt Apple enough, nor will it benefit BlackBerry enough. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm just not convinced.
    larger screen phone makes sense than smaller phone and a tablet. it is just too expensive to have two devices with two data plans and tablet without data plan is useless on the go.
    09-19-13 06:54 AM
    Apple went up over 2% today, BlackBerry went down 1.47 % today with their announcement of the new flagship phone. Does anyone look at the real numbers before bashing Apple

Posted via CB10
    You should learn that stocks normally fall when a new product comes out. Look at Apple this year and previous years.
    09-19-13 06:55 AM
    You should learn that stocks normally fall when a new product comes out. Look at Apple this year and previous years.
    Yeah, especially with BlackBerry, week before Heins big show in January the stock was over $18, on the 30th before the unveiling $16 and went down 12% I'm pretty sure that day. Because only thing he could say about a release date was "Coming Soon ". He couldn't guarantee most of the more favorable apps. Announced it would be available in the US around March and really didn't know about the Q10 date, but not too much after. That show was a disaster, he was very uncertain on release dates and pricing was higher than expected. Also he dropped a bomb with enterprise users and their old equipment wasn't capable of the new OS, something like that, way over my head. There very vague on the Z30 date also in the US.
    The Apple bashing is ridiculous on this thread, I'm on my 6th BlackBerry in 7 years, I don't want them to fail. Just got my 82 year old mother use to using my 9900, just for phone, texting and taking pictures. Some people on this thread really don't know how much trouble BlackBerry is in before bashing a dominant company. If reports are right, BlackBerry has almost $900 million of phone inventory, no PlayBooks included in that number. They wrote that abundance of inventory last year.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 07:57 AM
    Let's compare the sales numbers of the Z30 to the iPhone 5C/5S and we will see what consumers want. If this were the case, than that logic dictates the Z10 should be outselling the iPhone 5, and how is that working out? That's what I thought. It's great to be pro BlackBerry, but better to be realistic.
    Dookieman likes this.
    09-19-13 08:00 AM

Nokia led everyone in terms of worldwide marketshare, though there were some markets were they were virtually invisible. As an example, there was a time here in the US when RIM was in the high 40s in marketshare, while Nokia owned but a small fraction of that. Yet there were other markets, especially in Europe, where Nokia seemed to dominate almost effortlessly.
    09-19-13 08:17 AM
    Keep in mind that Apple is in the same situation BlackBerry was n years ago: a solid foundation and consumer support. BlackBerry was reluctant to change bc they had a solid class of users that they didn't want to disrupt. Same with Apple. According to the numbers, iPhone users r happy with size, OS, etc. That puts u in a corner competitively bc u have to decide between innovating and possibly losing your core users, or becoming complacent and letting the world pass u by and getting side swiped by innovation.

Red or green pill situation.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 08:27 AM
    Keep in mind that Apple is in the same situation BlackBerry was n years ago: a solid foundation and consumer support. BlackBerry was reluctant to change bc they had a solid class of users that they didn't want to disrupt. Same with Apple. According to the numbers, iPhone users r happy with size, OS, etc. That puts u in a corner competitively bc u have to decide between innovating and possibly losing your core users, or becoming complacent and letting the world pass u by and getting side swiped by innovation.

Red or green pill situation.

Posted via CB10
    That's a poor comparison, because the overall size of the market is so much different. BBRY didn't lose customers as much as its growth simply didn't match the market. But now, that market growth has slowed. Could what happened to BBRY happen to Apple? Sure it could. But it would happen a lot slower, because market growth is flattening. Also, 2013 hasn't had a 2007 iPhone-like device to trigger wholesale market changes, and there's no sign of one coming. Remember, without the iPhone, BlackBerry's primary competition would have been Android devices with physical keyboards, trackpads and a BBOS like interface; I'm not saying BBRY would have won that battle, but it would have been a lot closer than what we've seen.
    09-19-13 08:44 AM
    Apple's new phones consistently are reviewed to be the best smartphones ever made. When is the last time that a Blackberry phone was given that kind of review? Most Blackberry reviews over the past several years have said something like "If you like Blackberries then this device is for you. Otherwise,..."

You can't even claim that the Z30 beat Apple to the market because people will be buying the new iPhone tomorrow. The Z30 doesn't even have a release date in North America.
    Dookieman and Eric Ton like this.
    09-19-13 08:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    What numbers? BlackBerry probably went down 1.47% today on the account of WSJ yesterday rumors .
    I don't think that the article was bashing Apple. Everyone (analyst) are just speculating.
    Just in case you didn't know, BlackBerry is the most bashed and trashed company out there right now.

Just

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 09:06 AM
    What numbers? BlackBerry probably went down 1.47% today on the account of WSJ yesterday rumors .
    I don't think that the article was bashing Apple. Everyone (analyst) are just speculating.
    Just in case you didn't know, BlackBerry is the most bashed and trashed company out there right now.

Just

Posted via CB10
    WSJ? No blackberry themselves shooting themselves in the foot again. Announced a new phone (appears) really good, but when is it available in the US? "Coming Soon ". Same crap they did at the big January unveiling of the Z10 and Q10. That day the stock went down $2 within a couple hours, started while Heins was being so vague. BlackBerry themselves also reported they have close to $900 million in inventory. Which of course would take away from BlackBerrys value. Investors don't want to see a great looking device and the manufacturer can't give a time frame. Look on their site, it has "Coming Soon ".

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 09:28 AM
    I agree with the comments around the Z30 launch where the paid-media launched launched there misses in parallel with the Z30 announcement. However, the article does point out that this is one time, BBRY got it right and further, it consumer focused and not corporate.

It's clear, as the article nicely points out, that consumers have unique needs that if not addressed and will severely punish the tech companies that fail to "get it". I think the opportunity for BBRY is significant, if it can overcome the negative perception most US consumers have of the brand.

Let's hope that what's left of the market for BBRY devices will be able to embrace this product and convince a larger market to re-look at this device.

Of course BBRY marketing will flop and flounder around as expected...........
    09-19-13 09:33 AM
98 1234