10-04-13 12:17 PM
98 123 ...
tools
    I couldn't believe this article...it was actually pro BB and anti Apple, and it's not even from a BB fan site!

BlackBerry Beats Apple to the Punch With Z30 | InvestorPlace

"BlackBerry Beats Apple to the Punch With Z30

BBRY's Z30 gives consumers what they want, and what Apple hasn't given them: a bigger screen

Sep 18, 2013, 12:15 pm EDT | By Brad Moon, InvestorPlace Contributor

It’s not often that this happens, but it seems as though BlackBerry (BBRY) has its fingers on the pulse of what smartphone-buying consumers want — and is reacting to that demand more quickly than Apple (AAPL).

While Apple’s fingerprint-scanning, 4-inch flagship iPhone 5S goes on sale in a matter of days, BlackBerry has unveiled its new top-of-the line phone, the Z30, boasting a 5-inch display. Consumers might find biometric security an interesting feature, but the one signal they’ve been sending clearly to manufacturers for years is that bigger is better.

The demand is deafening enough that BlackBerry got it … and yet, Apple didn’t.

Remember when BlackBerry (then Research In Motion) ruled the smartphone market with devices that sported physical keyboards? Apple figured out what consumers wanted and released the iPhone, with its simplified user interface and touchscreen display. BlackBerry’s co-CEOs rifled off a number of quotes on these consumer-friendly features that have haunted the company ever since — gems like: “The most exciting mobile trend is full Qwerty keyboards.”

By sticking with their guns and ignoring the touchscreen displays that consumers demanded, BlackBerry let Apple and then smartphones running Google’s (GOOG) Android dominate the smartphone market.

Now, however, it’s Apple that’s stubbornly resisting a key consumer demand with the current generation of smartphones.

When the original iPhone was introduced in 2007, then-CEO Steve Jobs described the device’s 3.5-inch display as “huge.” Jobs was insistent that the 3.5-inch display was the ideal size for one-handed use, and as recently as 2010 he said, “no one’s going to buy that” when talking about competing smartphones with displays more than 4 inches in size. In 2012, Apple VP Phil Schiller dismissed rival Samsung’s (SSNLF) Galaxy S III smartphone and its 4.8-inch display, saying, “(It’s) really easy to make a new product that’s bigger. Everyone does that. The challenge is to make it better and smaller.”

With big smartphones and so-called phablets taking off in sales, Apple did budge slightly with the iPhone 5 and its 4-inch display, but it kept the iPhone 5S at that size, so the iPhone remains the smallest flagship smartphone out there.

Consumers are using their smartphones for just about everything today. They’re playing games, watching movies, reading e-books, surfing the web, updating Facebook (FB), composing documents, reviewing spreadsheets and editing photos. These activities benefit from more visual real estate. Add in the fact that a 5-inch or larger smartphone can replace a 7-inch tablet for many consumers — saving them money by skipping the second device — and you can see why the bigger form factor is increasingly popular. Phablet sales (smartphones with 5-inch and greater displays) for the second quarter of 2013 were up 620% year-over-year.

Consumers aren’t just voting for bigger with their wallets. CNET surveyed iPhone owners prior to the iPhone 5S reveal, and among the features that Apple’s customers most wanted to see in the new smartphone were a bigger display and better battery life.

Which brings us around to BlackBerry’s Z30, unveiled today in Asia.

The latest device since the company’s faltering comeback began, the Z30 is exactly the kind of smartphone consumers are clamoring for. The Z30 has a 5-inch Super AMOLED display, a snappy 1.7GHz processor with quad-core graphics and a huge battery designed to last for “up to 25 hours of mixed use” — perfect for doing virtually anything on the go, and the Z30 won’t leave you looking for a recharger before dinner.

Consumers might not be flocking to BB10, but at least BlackBerry read the tea leaves and delivered hardware that satisfies demand. Give BBRY props for that. (Too bad it didn’t arrive in January …)

Apple has had its head in the sand for several years now. A smaller smartphone is easier to operate with a single hand, but that’s not the only yardstick that people are measuring desirability with any longer. Some consumers want to be able to see more stuff on their phone. Pinch-to-zoom was cool in 2007, but no one wants to have to pinch-to-zoom everything on their iPhone. They want a bigger display, end of story.

BlackBerry made the mistake of ignoring consumer demand for touchscreens over the Qwerty keyboards because it was convinced physical keys offered a better typing experience. Consumers didn’t actually care, and BBRY paid dearly.

Apple at least has been rumored to be testing out larger iPhone form factors for 2014. But with iPhone’s global market share continuing to slide, that process needs to be ramped up.

After all … Apple’s now playing catch-up with BlackBerry."
    Last edited by BergerKing; 09-18-13 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added QUOTE code.
    09-18-13 07:29 PM
    This is really surprising!
    Are trends changing now?
    09-18-13 07:35 PM
    Nice read
    maddie1128 likes this.
    09-18-13 07:35 PM
    Nice tag line at the end. Thanks for sharing!
    09-18-13 07:36 PM
    This is really surprising!
    Are trends changing now?
    I wonder how things would be if all 4 target markets (Z30, Q10, Z10 and Q5) plus the features in 10.2 would have dropped at the same time. This route has proven itself to be far more challenging.
    09-18-13 07:40 PM
    Interesting perspective on things. Demand for larger screens is certainly on the rise, and I've even been tempted by the massive Galaxy Note series more than a few times. However, I'm not sure screen size will hurt Apple enough, nor will it benefit BlackBerry enough. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm just not convinced.
    09-18-13 07:45 PM
    Now that's justice!
    Carjackd likes this.
    09-18-13 07:51 PM
    I wonder how things would be if all 4 target markets (Z30, Q10, Z10 and Q5) plus the features in 10.2 would have dropped at the same time. This route has proven itself to be far more challenging.
    That's exactly what I said last year. Really would have liked to see them coming out "guns blazing"
    Toodeurep and kbz1960 like this.
    09-18-13 07:56 PM
    It's too bad Apple is so darn stubborn. If they were to really incorporate things that users ask for they would be unbeatable.

Ios + 4.5-5 inch screen + removable battery + NFC + real multitasking + better email/communication abilities = best smartphone ever made!
    theRock1975 likes this.
    09-18-13 08:31 PM
    Great find Bobert! As for apple being stubborn... Well they are at the point where they can tell consumers what they want and not care about what they really want because it will sell anyway. But, they cant stay like that for long. Eventually more and more people will open their eyes to the vast array of choices they have and try something new and different and move away from the crowd.
    09-18-13 08:40 PM
    great share! who's chasing who now. Like cats and dogs. lol
    09-18-13 08:43 PM
    Apple went up over 2% today, BlackBerry went down 1.47 % today with their announcement of the new flagship phone. Does anyone look at the real numbers before bashing Apple

Posted via CB10
    Bsbudd likes this.
    09-18-13 09:16 PM
    Interesting perspective on things. Demand for larger screens is certainly on the rise, and I've even been tempted by the massive Galaxy Note series more than a few times. However, I'm not sure screen size will hurt Apple enough, nor will it benefit BlackBerry enough. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm just not convinced.
    Now the question is will the 5" screen be the biggest one that BlackBerry makes? Or will they go bigger like Samsung, Sony, and HTC? Would you want a 6" BlackBerry phone?

Sent from my Q10
    09-18-13 09:20 PM
    Apple went up over 2% today, BlackBerry went down 1.47 % today with their announcement of the new flagship phone. Does anyone look at the real numbers before bashing Apple

Posted via CB10
    Lol wth, did u look at the numbers when iPhone announced?

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku likes this.
    09-18-13 09:20 PM
    Enjoyed reading good press about BB. Refreshing change in pace.
    09-18-13 09:28 PM
    Now the question is will the 5" screen be the biggest one that BlackBerry makes? Or will they go bigger like Samsung, Sony, and HTC? Would you want a 6" BlackBerry phone?

Sent from my Q10
    I'd definitely give it a go. Never lived day-to-day with a full-on phablet like that, but I do like the idea of more screen real estate, and my hands are quite large. My only concern is one-handed usage, but I'm not sure that's such a high priority for me lately.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 09:28 PM

Sent from my Q10
    mmm a six inch BB10 device
    Last edited by Bobert_123; 09-21-13 at 06:50 AM.
    09-18-13 09:31 PM
    Great read

Posted via CB10 with my Z10
    09-18-13 09:32 PM
    So is this the first non android 5" phone? Could be interesting..
    09-18-13 09:34 PM
    Lol wth, did u look at the numbers when iPhone announced?

Posted via CB10
    So your thinking that the Z30 is the new iPhone? Apple wasn't looking for a buyer when the iPhone came out, companies are looking to buy just certain pieces of BlackBerry. Do you think if BlackBerry is broken up, that larger screen is going to mean much? When the iPhone first came out the advertising was all over the place. I want BlackBerry to survive, but as far as I can see on the south east coast of the US, there's hardly no advertising. How you going to have people switch when they don't really know what the BlackBerry can do. This Z10 is my 6th BlackBerry in 8 years, but they can't survive with just the BlackBerry loyals and a handful of new users.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-18-13 09:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure the market reaction was mostly to the WSJ report of 40% workforce reduction... so, I would say the Z30 announcement was either taken as irrelevant or... actually as a positive.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 09:56 PM
    great share! who's chasing who now. Like cats and dogs. lol
    Apple's not chasing Blackberry... they're chasing Google/Android.
    It's pointless to chase someone when you've lapped them a countless number of times.

Blackberry is the further thing from Apple's mind.
    09-18-13 10:00 PM
    Apple's not chasing Blackberry... they're chasing Google/Android.
    It's pointless to chase someone when you've lapped them a countless number of times.

Blackberry is the further thing from Apple's mind.
    I'm actually wondering if they're chasing Android at all frankly. They might feel perfectly comfortable as a (relatively) low-volume premium player in the smartphone race, similar to how Mac is positioned against PC. There doesn't seem to be much indication that Apple plans to diversify, which is what they'd need to do if they want to battle the giant that is Android.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 10:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    Bbry was up when the z30 was announced, it dropped when that recycled Wsj article came out

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 10:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    Apple was also down nearly 5% the other day after their new phone announcement. Riddle me that.
    mujahid 10 likes this.
    09-18-13 10:25 PM
98 123 ...