10-08-10 01:59 PM
43 12
tools
    Well it is confirmed. Blackberry services will be cancelled here in the UAE on the 10th.

1) Why couldn't RIM find a solution quickly like they did in Saudi Arabia?

2) Why exactly are Etisalat blocking the Blackberry service here? ( They have not really said)
    3) What an earth am I going to do once my Crackberry get's banned?

Regards,

Dweldom
    10-03-10 12:28 PM
    Its not rims problem
    Its the governments issue to not trust its citizens and want to control and invade privacy.

Don't blame rim, blame your government.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-10 01:21 PM
    Yey! Happy happy, joy joy. Maybe one day your side of the world will learn to lighten up on your overly restrictive/protective ways. What's funny is that people think the US is trying to control the world, but you overlook the ways that your own governments and beliefs are way more controlling.
    10-03-10 01:53 PM
    Well the US is trying to control the world....

The UAE is just trying to control their own people.

10-03-10 02:12 PM
    At least in the US, we can grab our significant other's tush and give 'em a smooch without being arrested.

10-03-10 02:15 PM
    E-Commerce News: Wireless: UAE to Go Dark for BlackBerry Data

BlackBerry users in the UAE -- whether residing there or just passing through -- will no longer be able to access data services, effective October 11. Authorities cite security concerns, but the true motivation for the ban is unclear. "Perhaps this is about a government's worry about too much freedom of information in the hands of the people," suggested telecom analyst Jeff Kagan. ...

In short, "I, too, am at a loss to understand," Kagan concluded. "It's like watching something where you just can't believe your eyes, and you stand there for a while, stunned."
    Somebody has to go first, drop out of the First and Developing Worlds.
    10-03-10 02:25 PM
    No more Matrix Leader then... that's a shame
    10-03-10 03:03 PM
    Well, I would say that if you are a business from outside the UAE running business within UAE, either you switch to a non-secure method of communication (since this will stop BES from working), or you move your business out of the UAE.
    10-03-10 03:30 PM
    Just to point out I am not Emirati and there isn't much I can do about this Ban as I am British. I love how ignorant people turn this into a very heated debate so quickly!

I think I may even have to move to Etisalat crazyily over priced iphone packages if the ban is permanent!

Any evidence of BIS or BES being banned then re-introduced anywhere else in the world?

Thanks for your comments guys,

Dweldom

10-03-10 03:50 PM
    You know what RIM needs to implement next within the BB itself in order to rebuild their security conduits back to BES and even better standards? Onboard VPN capabilities on the handset itself and each BES server can act as a VPN concentrator. Once this VPN conduit is up between BB and BES server, guess what?... the carriers or ISPs in other countries cannot differentiate between what type of traffic it is. NOBODY will be able to block or control BB traffic in any country or any network... unless of course they start blocking the specific VPN TCP ports needed. But then they'd also break other connections from other non-BB specific technologies, which I highly doubt would ever happen.

Of course in order for this to happen RIM will need to change the way BBs are provisioned in terms of data plans from carrier. Perhaps RIM can move to this type of design when they implement the new QNX OS on the handsets.
    10-03-10 09:00 PM
    We certainly have our own issues over here, what with carnivore and echelon, but at least I know where I can pick up a cheap 9000 now.
    10-04-10 12:10 AM
    I am an expat living in the UAE. Lemme give you some insight on what's happening:

The same problem was in Saudi Arabia, but it got solved. Rumours stated that they investigated the option of installing Saudi-Local BIS servers, and it kindda worked, so they cancelled the ban. No idea why they didn't reach such a solution in UAE yet. Weird.

The issue was caused after a major assassination happened (in Dubai) and it was coordinated via blackberry. The thing is that if this happened in USA or Canada, i think (i think, i am not sure, its my personal opinion) that the police can get a certain warrant and thus head to BIS servers to monitor that specific suspect. I think the prob in UAE is that they don't have this ability, and they wanna have a certain solution to enable them to do that (comparably to the USA or Canada. Dunno how Europe does it though)

On another hand, there is some twisted governmental need of wanting to monitor everyone in the UAE and KSA and similar countries. I do not think this obsession exists in the USA, Canada or Europe

Anyways, UAE approached the problem in a somewhat EGO-filled approach, by drastically coming up with alternative solutions, and offering free phones with alternative data plans since the TRA (Telecomm regulatory authority) came up with that decision on April 1. The local operators (Etisalat and Du) totally wiped everything related to Blackberry from their websites, and they wouldnt even sell new BIS/BES subscriptions. They only display the TRA announcement on their pages (Try to login to Welcome to Etisalat, click on Data and Internet, then Blackberry Internet Service and check that announcement).

What's even more weird, is that we're one week away from that final deadline, and no news whatsoever are even circulating in the UAE.

I am not sure though if Blackberry users can still use their Blackberries over regular data plans. I heard some rumours that it might work with some fiddling with APN settings, but i need you guyz' advice on this: Would BBM and Browser and Push Email work through data-through-APN? or it has to be the usual Blackberry connection?

Anyhow, i will keep everyone updated on this matter if you wish so. I am crossing my fingers
    10-04-10 10:12 AM
    The local operators (Etisalat and Du) totally wiped everything related to Blackberry from their websites, and they wouldnt even sell new BIS/BES subscriptions. They only display the TRA announcement on their pages (Try to login to Welcome to Etisalat, click on Data and Internet, then Blackberry Internet Service and check that announcement).

I am not sure though if Blackberry users can still use their Blackberries over regular data plans. I heard some rumours that it might work with some fiddling with APN settings, but i need you guyz' advice on this: Would BBM and Browser and Push Email work through data-through-APN? or it has to be the usual Blackberry connection?
    LOL... Etisalat did a little more than that!

"One UAE wireless company, Etisalat, was caught installing spyware on more than 100,000 enterprise BlackBerries in the Emirates last year. Research in Motion was required by its customers to bear the cost of software upgrades to the system to remove the spyware and secure their business communications. Etisalat has been fundamentally injured in its credibility in international business, and is in some danger of becoming a global pariah."

...and no, BBM/Push Email/Internet etc. all go through BIS servers, so 'fiddling with APN settings' won't work
    10-04-10 10:31 AM
    Well I hear a rumor going on that both carriers "Etisalat & du" are installing BIS servers.
    Its not confirmed but that's what i heard.

Seems we're gonna have a local BIS server
    10-04-10 11:08 AM
    I love this quote:

"Today's decision is based on the fact that in their current form, certain BlackBerry services allow users to act without any legal accountability, causing judicial, social and national security concerns for the UAE."
    As if other net activities don't ever border on being the same. Sheesh.

But I do understand the security concerns, but there are better ways to go about it, IMHO.
    10-04-10 11:19 AM
    Or this one:

I believe the 'problem' is that BlackBerry service is just too secure for the UAE government
    RIM needs to latch on to this somehow and use it to their advantage from a marketing perspective.....
    10-04-10 11:22 AM
    I think the best possible solution would to install a temporary BIS server her, at least until some agreement has been made

10-04-10 03:45 PM
    The problem is, if they install a BIS server in UAE (in essence, making the entire country run on their own BES server of sorts), it won't intercept all of the private BES servers that companies have in place. So, UAE could intercept every personal message, but wouldn't be able to intercept anything that goes over BES. RIM doesn't have the encryption keys to any of the BES servers.

I would say that is probably more of why UAE is banning BlackBerry devices than this being a BIS issue. How many corporations are willing to hand over their BES keys to the government???
    10-04-10 06:39 PM
    The problem is, if they install a BIS server in UAE (in essence, making the entire country run on their own BES server of sorts), it won't intercept all of the private BES servers that companies have in place. So, UAE could intercept every personal message, but wouldn't be able to intercept anything that goes over BES. RIM doesn't have the encryption keys to any of the BES servers.

I would say that is probably more of why UAE is banning BlackBerry devices than this being a BIS issue. How many corporations are willing to hand over their BES keys to the government???
    None will. Who knows what the government will be doing if that happens.

10-04-10 08:58 PM
    This thread seriously needs to be closed, point blank, or at least some of those initial replies deleted.
    10-05-10 04:51 AM
    Hi Brandon.
    And why do you think this thread should be closed?
    10-05-10 04:52 AM
    +1 Jay, do tell.
    10-05-10 04:58 AM
    This thread seriously needs to be closed, point blank, or at least some of those initial replies deleted.
    I see nothing in this thread to justify moderator action.

As far as the original topic goes, it is the right of each and every government to govern its nation and establish regulation. If outsiders don't like it... tough, don't go there.
    10-05-10 05:22 AM

They would only be able to see messages from Etelisat blackberry's with the service books from there. Anyone coming in from other carriers BIS would still go to their own provider's BIS servers and they couldn't see them. I'm pretty sure I know the assassination they are talking about, and the assassins were suspected to be working for Israel, so unless they are going to confiscate outside Blackberry's at customs then this won't do much good, but the religious police will be able to keep their thumb on the people.
    10-05-10 06:20 AM
    Are you sure they won't be able to monitor ppl from outside their own carriers? As in ppl visiting on roaming? Or roaming would be diverted throught their local servers?
    I am wondering how did they solve it in KSA ? Any accurate info on that?

10-05-10 06:26 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD