09-29-14 11:20 PM
245 ... 78910
tools
    I think some people need to actually own a BlackBerry 10 device before acting like they know what they're talking about lol.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Agreed.
    06-19-14 06:12 AM
    I think this deal effectively is as close to what the ideal which is having Google Play and Google Services on BlackBerry10. That however would be a really long shot, so this deal with Amazon, is a fairly decent deal in my humble opinion. There's not much of a point in saying that ifs, coulds and maybes, it's a done deal. There are always pros and cons anyway.

Here's some thoughts :
    1. This gives easy access to Android apps to those who are not so tech-savvy (a term i use loosely) as people like my parents wouldn't bother about sideloading or searching sites like 1mobile for an app to install. So this fixes 1 part and a significant one.

2. Amazon has pretty good content, and with BlackBerry closing their TV, Music services, this actually make sense. Certain battles shouldn't be fought alone so this partnership works that out.

3. However, Amazon has the same issue as BlackBerry that although running Android apps, no Google services means some apps still will not work.

4. Having an out-of-the-box Android store, means now the expectation is there for the apps to work without glitches. The execution has to be spot on, Chen said 98% of the apps work, does that mean only 2% need Google services? I don't know exactly. But they must work flawlessly out of the box.

5. Hopefully gives developers of those Android apps some motivation to port over to native. Personally i have no issues with Android apps, however it does consume battery more than native (which shouldn't be a surprise but i'm not complaining).

Greater appdays ahead!
    #3 is the killer. The bad press and folks who buy them to find they cannot run their favorite Droid apps will return them.

Again a half baked solution.

Sad....

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    06-19-14 07:48 AM
    The advantage for Amazon is that they do pick up a few million more potential customers for their app store. OK, it's not enormous, but they want to be in a position to tell developers (especially ones who currently include Google Services within the app) to port theirs over to the Amazon app store. So it helps them to do that by pointing to a decent uplift in potential customers to developers. It's not big enough to radically change their position, but it is more than useful - particularly if the likes of the Z3 add reasonable numbers to the user base. It's mutually beneficial.
    06-19-14 08:02 AM
    The advantage for Amazon is that they do pick up a few million more potential customers for their app store. OK, it's not enormous, but they want to be in a position to tell developers (especially ones who currently include Google Services within the app) to port theirs over to the Amazon app store. So it helps them to do that by pointing to a decent uplift in potential customers to developers. It's not big enough to radically change their position, but it is more than useful - particularly if the likes of the Z3 add reasonable numbers to the user base. It's mutually beneficial.
    The new Fire phone is the real key in all of this. If it sells well it will entice developers to build more apps for their store.
    Banco likes this.
    06-19-14 08:25 AM
    The new Fire phone is the real key in all of this. If it sells well it will entice developers to build more apps for their store.
    Yep. And alongside BB10 as well it provides decent sales opportunities for them as a combination.
    06-19-14 08:37 AM
    Maybe Blackberry is trying to be sold to Amazon.
    06-19-14 10:04 AM
    Spot on. I think it's a WIN-WIN for Amazon. It's clear that Amazon is not willing to agree /kowtow to Google's terms and conditions to get Google Play on Amazon's fork of Android. They rather have a ~75% smaller app-store than agree to Google's terms.

Amazon has managed to persuade a number of developers to develop Amazon specific apps that exclude dependency on Google Services, Payments with not too many Fire devices in the market (I think roughly 45 Million Fire devices have been sold so far). With BlackBerry 10 - they'd gain additional few million devices. With Fire Phone, they may gain another few million devices.

This makes their case only stronger - now they'd be able to persuade even a greater number of developers to develop Amazon-specific versions of their Android apps.

All those would run on BlackBerry 10 too! So, BlackBerry helps Amazon make a stronger case to developers. In turn Amazon helps BlackBerry by giving them access to existing Apps that they do have plus getting more apps that they'd now be able to get. And this helps BB10 sell even more devices, get back mindshare and re-penetrate enterprise customers.

Very synergistic.

Sure, Google Play partnership would have been ideal. But hey, Google might develop native app for Android/BB10 if Amazon/BB10 sell large enough devices. Google would hate to be excluded from a platform that has 100s of millions of users. So, Google might say, hey, we can't give you Google Play because you haven't signed our agreement, but we can develop apps for your platform. Just like, Google has apps on iPhone. iPhone doesn't run Google Play, but still has quality Google apps available.
    Banco and Dave Bourque like this.
    06-19-14 10:48 AM
    Now the question for me is how long after all this is adopted will it take for AT&T to give us 10.3 and thus make the Amazon app store worthwhile?
    06-19-14 12:58 PM
    Instead of a custom Android (time and money BB may not have for development)... what about a BB10/Amazon Hybrid. BB10 provides the security that enterprise needs and the Amazon OS provides the ecosystem.

What ever happens, if you are a developer for BB10... you might want to stick to developer tools that also work with other platforms.
    Could be.

BlackBerry's moves show VERY little confidence in new native BB10 apps going forth. Likely at this point they see making the Android runtime better and better is much easier than attracting all the top apps and devs to BB10. Not to mention the fact that any top apps that did come are likely less feature rich (mature) than the Android versions that have been out for years.

This Amazon partnership really solves a big issue -- the need for the average joe to be able to open an appstore and install pretty much any Android app easily.

Now if Amazon could just release a better email system that Gmail, better maps than Google Maps, etc. and make Amazon "Android" apps for those then BlackBerry would be set. Lol.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-19-14 03:49 PM
    Could be.

BlackBerry's moves show VERY little confidence in new native BB10 apps going forth. Likely at this point they see making the Android runtime better and better is much easier than attracting all the top apps and devs to BB10. Not to mention the fact that any top apps that did come are likely less feature rich (mature) than the Android versions that have been out for years.

This Amazon partnership really solves a big issue -- the need for the average joe to be able to open an appstore and install pretty much any Android app easily.

Now if Amazon could just release a better email system that Gmail, better maps than Google Maps, etc. and make Amazon "Android" apps for those then BlackBerry would be set. Lol.
    They have been unable to attract a lot of developers to native-BB10. Even when Android-runtime was way inferior than it is today, developers didn't come rushing to develop native BB10. So, yeah, the best option is to create a solid, speedy Android run-time. Let's not get hung-up on names like Android. They supported Adobe Air run-time before, it wasn't giving them much, so now they are going to officially support Android runtime (sans Google Services). It's just another development option that they will support.

Because this option (Android-runtime) already has a big cachet of apps available, it's even a bigger WIN!

Now, about the need for Amazon to develop Maps, Email (to counter Gmail, Google Maps) - well, it may not come to that. If BlackBerry and Amazon (combined) are able to move several million more devices, Google would go ahead and develop apps for this version of Android. Google may not give you access to Google Play, but that does not prevent Google from developing apps for yet another platform (BlackBerry 10 platform or Amazon-BB-Android fork).

Google wants to be on every device. They want to advertise. They already have apps for iPhone and if BB10+Amazon gains several million more users, I think Google will develop apps for it too. Google is going to want a piece of this new platform so it can serve them ads!~
    southlander likes this.
    06-19-14 05:03 PM
    Now, about the need for Amazon to develop Maps, Email (to counter Gmail, Google Maps) - well, it may not come to that. If BlackBerry and Amazon (combined) are able to move several million more devices, Google would go ahead and develop apps for this version of Android.
    Good point. I agree.
    06-19-14 05:09 PM
    #

Sad....

Dude - if you hate everything, in every way, all the time, under every circumstance, why are you here?

Of all the complainers who moan about every single solitairy thing related to BlackBerry, you have to be one of the most prolific.

I'm all for criticism, but if you're so utterly miserable about absolutely everything BlackBerry, why do you come here?

Do you moan about how John Chen backs up over puppies while in bed with your loved one too?

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque and LuvULongTime like this.
    06-19-14 07:12 PM
    Dude - if you hate everything, in every way, all the time, under every circumstance, why are you here?

Of all the complainers who moan about every single solitairy thing related to BlackBerry, you have to be one of the most prolific.

I'm all for criticism, but if you're so utterly miserable about absolutely everything BlackBerry, why do you come here?

Do you moan about how John Chen backs up over puppies while in bed with your loved one too?

Posted via CB10
    But you read what I post and not filter it.

You read all my posts? I'm flattered.

Thank you!

Geesh...

bbq10l likes this.
    06-19-14 08:00 PM
    Geesh...
    Maybe you might be happier on another phone, made by another company, under other leadership, in another forum.

Just saying ...
    9lives353 and mediadavid like this.
    06-19-14 08:12 PM
    Maybe you might be happier on another phone, made by another company, under other leadership, in another forum.

Just saying ...
    I have said that recently but I like BB10. It's the hardware that bites.

BlackBerry is like a misbehaving child. One that I care about. So when they do something stupid (like they have done for the past 3 years) I will try to influence them to do the right thing.

If they were doing well and selling products folks want I would be different, but they are not.

Anyways enough about me, even though you seem infatuated.

End of thread hijack.

06-19-14 08:20 PM
    #3 is the killer. The bad press and folks who buy them to find they cannot run their favorite Droid apps will return them.

Sad....

Just like the Amazon Fire phone which also doesn't run Google Play Services.

Sad for Amazon as well, no?
    06-19-14 09:12 PM
    I have said that recently but I like BB10. It's the hardware that bites.

BlackBerry is like a misbehaving child. One that I care about. So when they do something stupid (like they have done for the past 3 years) I will try to influence them to do the right thing.

If they were doing well and selling products folks want I would be different, but they are not.

Anyways enough about me, even though you seem infatuated.

End of thread hijack.

BlackBerry might call you a misbehaving child, no? One that has done "something stupid"?

Good luck influencing John Chen. I'm sure he needs your help.
    06-19-14 09:15 PM
    O M G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    06-19-14 09:27 PM
    I think some people need to actually own a BlackBerry 10 device before acting like they know what they're talking about lol.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    +1. Looks like they've been 0wn3d. :P

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 10:17 PM
    I would expect so. Tit for tat.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    What's a tat?
    06-19-14 10:48 PM
    No worries there...Instagram isn't available on the Amazon store.
    I'm willing to bet though that in due time apps like Instagram will be available in the Amazon store. If Amazon just released its phone, I am sure they are going to want to keep current with the apps that are available to their phone, which in turn might lead to more sales for "Fire", especially if they are somewhat lackluster initially
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    06-19-14 10:51 PM
    Maybe with the new line of Berries that will be released in the future, we will be able to "stream" apps from any source on our phones! LOL
    06-19-14 10:54 PM
    I'm willing to bet though that in due time apps like Instagram will be available in the Amazon store. If Amazon just released its phone, I am sure they are going to want to keep current with the apps that are available to their phone, which in turn might lead to more sales for "Fire", especially if they are somewhat lackluster initially
    They have more pull than BlackBerry for consumer apps. So Chen made the right deal. Although this doesn't mean they should stop supporting native apps.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    06-19-14 11:06 PM
    If an Android app is sending you notifications... then it's an app that is polling/pulling information incrementally. You're not getting pushed notifications, unless something huge changed in the last few months that nobody in the mobile industry has taken note of.
    It's hard to say. For example the moment a building is complete I'll see it on notifications.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    I also get notifications from the Android version of Songza that is in Blackberry World. Every time a new song starts I get a notification in the hub telling me the song title and artist. This to me would appear to be a push notification.

Edit: Here it is.

Attachment 278844
    uTorrent that I downloaded from SNAP also does it. I don't have the option to upload pics anymore, but I have a screen shot of this as well.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Here is uTorrent in the hub. It notifies me as soon as it starts up.

Attachment 279096
    06-19-14 11:55 PM
    O M G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you got a BB and a fire. this news is like a gift of the gods for you lol
    06-20-14 12:01 AM
245 ... 78910