09-29-14 10:20 PM
245 ... 678910
tools
    They must have enough faith in the Android runtime on 10.3 to believe that this will not be an issue for the most part. And let's be honest, this is a problem that plagues legitimate android devices. Not all apps run equally well on all Android HW.
    Faint praise indeed. "At least we will suck about as much as the others."
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-18-14 03:58 PM
    This has me wondering, now that these apps are "official" will notifications work? For example, I have the FIFA world cup app installed on my phone, but never get notifications

Posted via CB10
    "Official" has a meaning that I'm not sure really applies here. We will have to see just how far BlackBerry goes in integrating these apps and making more of the compatible, and to appear as if they are part of the "platform". Which once can be added to the HUB? Which ones will run headlessly - I've seen a number in my Device Monitor under the CPU section that I''m not even sure why they are still running. Security vs. Usability... a very tricking tight rope to walk.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-18-14 04:01 PM
    "Official" has a meaning that I'm not sure really applies here. We will have to see just how far BlackBerry goes in integrating these apps and making more of the compatible, and to appear as if they are part of the "platform". Which once can be added to the HUB? Which ones will run headlessly - I've seen a number in my Device Monitor under the CPU section that I''m not even sure why they are still running. Security vs. Usability... a very tricking tight rope to walk.
    That's what I was afraid of, to me or you we understand when notifications don't work....

For the millions who don't use crackberry and download Instagram onto their bb10 phone they aren't going to be happy when they don't get notifications and I'm sure they'll blame BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 04:37 PM
    Why not Google?
    06-18-14 05:36 PM
    That's what I was afraid of, to me or you we understand when notifications don't work....

For the millions who don't use crackberry and download Instagram onto their bb10 phone they aren't going to be happy when they don't get notifications and I'm sure they'll blame BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    No worries there...Instagram isn't available on the Amazon store.
    JeepBB and pantlesspenguin like this.
    06-18-14 06:07 PM
    Why not Google?
    Because Google doesn't need extra 3 millions devices for their Play Store. There is not much BBRY can offer Google to entice them.
    06-18-14 06:11 PM
    No worries there...Instagram isn't available on the Amazon store.
    Ohh right! My mistake

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 06:25 PM
    They need to allow notifications then. I have tried a few android apps, and they are useless without notifications

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 06:35 PM
    They need to allow notifications then. I have tried a few android apps, and they are useless without notifications

Posted via CB10
    I get Hub notifications from my Android Tapatalk app just fine.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    06-18-14 06:37 PM
    I get Hub notifications from my Android Tapatalk app just fine.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    Seriously doubt that you do. You might be receiving notifications from an older Tapatalk app installed for BB, or email notifications from your Tapatalk account... But I'm relatively confident that the Tapatalk Android App isn't sending you notifications to your hub.
    06-18-14 06:49 PM
    Seriously doubt that you do. You might be receiving notifications from an older Tapatalk app installed for BB, or email notifications from your Tapatalk account... But I'm relatively confident that the Tapatalk Android App isn't sending you notifications to your hub.
    How come games like clash of clans send me notifications ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-18-14 07:15 PM
    Does this include Google services as well?
    No - in actuality, my Kindle Fire has many of the same problems as my Z10 when it comes to apps. Even though Android Apps technically run on the device, more often than not, the developer won't actually put said app in Amazon's App Store. And if the device accesses Google Play, it won't work without being rooted. Also, there are often the same problems of older versions being on the Amazon Store than what's in Google Play

It is a good thing in that it helps BlackBerry make it easier to bring some elusive apps easily to customers. I hope they do more than just have Amazon's App Store client on the phone, and instead use an API or something to feed the apps and media into the existing App World client.

It's also a positive thing for Amazon as growing the App Store audience by a few million more users may actually incent more developers to put apps into their store as well as Google's.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 06-18-14 at 07:40 PM.
    06-18-14 07:19 PM
    There must be a backdoor way. Skype seems to.
    06-18-14 07:19 PM
    How come games like clash of clans send me notifications ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    If an Android app is sending you notifications... then it's an app that is polling/pulling information incrementally. You're not getting pushed notifications, unless something huge changed in the last few months that nobody in the mobile industry has taken note of.
    06-18-14 07:23 PM
    They have it on the Fire phone. (confused)
    06-18-14 08:13 PM
    If an Android app is sending you notifications... then it's an app that is polling/pulling information incrementally. You're not getting pushed notifications, unless something huge changed in the last few months that nobody in the mobile industry has taken note of.
    It's hard to say. For example the moment a building is complete I'll see it on notifications.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-18-14 08:26 PM

No other versions of Tapatalk have been installed besides the one I downloaded from the Amazon Appstore.

But you are, of course, free to seriously doubt all you like.

While I continue to receive Hub notifications from an Android app in BB10.
    LuvULongTime and Dave Bourque like this.
    06-18-14 09:12 PM
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/19/e8e5yzez.png

No other versions of Tapatalk have been installed besides the one I downloaded from the Amazon Appstore.

I also get notifications from the Android version of Songza that is in Blackberry World. Every time a new song starts I get a notification in the hub telling me the song title and artist. This to me would appear to be a push notification.

Edit: Here it is.

BlackBerry to Announce Deal With Amazon to Gain Access to Appstore-img_20140618_222239_edit.png
    Last edited by LuvULongTime; 06-18-14 at 09:52 PM.
    06-18-14 09:21 PM
    uTorrent that I downloaded from SNAP also does it. I don't have the option to upload pics anymore, but I have a screen shot of this as well.
    06-18-14 09:52 PM
    Native apps are great. But most of the native apps are "Apps for" with a premium price. I respect native app developers they obviously cannot give away their apps for free. But on the other hand they are taking advantage of the BBWorld's pathetic situation and most of the apps, except for a few are just me too and "Apps for". My question is why are they scared of competition? Are they expecting BBWorld to always have no competition so there will be only "Apps for" that they can charge? Please take no offence. I have huge respect for BB10 native devs. At some point there will be competition when the platform grows. So Native Devs can always contribute by creating good apps that can distinguish from Android apps, and there will definitely be a lot of BB10 users buying it for the native UI look and feel. We have already seen how good Android apps perform in 10.3 on some videos here in CB forums, and this BlackBerry's deal with Amazon only confirms how well the runtime has to be optimised to perform native-like Android experience. I guess the remaining 2% apps won't work well are probably Google Services enabled apps.

A massive new chunk of competition has been introduced. Competition that native devs never had in mind when developing for the platform. Native devs are now tiny fish in a massive sea. Sure, it's been there for months, but this is now pitting it directly against Blackberry world as an officially supported source of apps. It's a slap in the face, punch in the kidney, bullet to the knee for native devs.
    06-18-14 09:53 PM
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/19/e8e5yzez.png

I think some people need to actually own a BlackBerry 10 device before acting like they know what they're talking about lol.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-18-14 11:16 PM
    I think this deal effectively is as close to what the ideal which is having Google Play and Google Services on BlackBerry10. That however would be a really long shot, so this deal with Amazon, is a fairly decent deal in my humble opinion. There's not much of a point in saying that ifs, coulds and maybes, it's a done deal. There are always pros and cons anyway.

Here's some thoughts :
    1. This gives easy access to Android apps to those who are not so tech-savvy (a term i use loosely) as people like my parents wouldn't bother about sideloading or searching sites like 1mobile for an app to install. So this fixes 1 part and a significant one.

2. Amazon has pretty good content, and with BlackBerry closing their TV, Music services, this actually make sense. Certain battles shouldn't be fought alone so this partnership works that out.

3. However, Amazon has the same issue as BlackBerry that although running Android apps, no Google services means some apps still will not work.

4. Having an out-of-the-box Android store, means now the expectation is there for the apps to work without glitches. The execution has to be spot on, Chen said 98% of the apps work, does that mean only 2% need Google services? I don't know exactly. But they must work flawlessly out of the box.

5. Hopefully gives developers of those Android apps some motivation to port over to native. Personally i have no issues with Android apps, however it does consume battery more than native (which shouldn't be a surprise but i'm not complaining).

Greater appdays ahead!
    06-19-14 04:04 AM
    At last some variety in apps!
    06-19-14 04:10 AM
    Now people will really start to consider BlackBerry as the app-gap is now really closed.
    06-19-14 04:25 AM
    Why not Google?
    In this case Blackberry must pay Google for each delivered device with preinstalled Google Play Services.
    This fee is depends on the agreement between a vendor and Google. I saw it was around $10.
    06-19-14 05:07 AM
245 ... 678910