09-29-14 10:20 PM
245 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Sure, an Independent developer is going to have a severe disadvantage pitting apps against Commercial apps. But it's not like Blackberry surprised everybody with today's news. It's been years in the making, and BB has been pretty straightforward with their push towards Android app support and adoption. Everybody knew (or at least expected) that this day would eventually come.
    Knowing it's coming doesn't make it any less of a slap in the face though.
    It's like in hockey when you're in the corner, you know a big hit is coming. All you can do is brace yourself and prepare to be crushed.
    06-18-14 11:41 AM
    Excellent question. And we are witnessing the answer play out in front of our eyes today.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    I mean throughout since launch. People complain that this move is removing incentive. When in fact it remains the same. People already had full access to this store. Now it will be pre-installed.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-18-14 11:45 AM
    Knowing it's coming doesn't make it any less of a slap in the face though.
    It's like in hockey when you're in the corner, you know a big hit is coming. All you can do is brace yourself and prepare to be crushed.
    LOL! Very true.

But realistically, the only way it could never happen would be for Blackberry to forever be delegated to a very very small nich and struggle in the mobile industry. Suppose for a moment that at the launch of BB10, everything went right, devices sold like hotcakes, and Blackberry skyrocketed back to their former glory with great success. Commercial/Professional development would have swooped in with native development to end with the same result because the market would be there for them, and Indie developers would still be facing the same heartbreak.
    06-18-14 11:48 AM
    I think people are missing the point - this is a signal BBRY doesn't care about native development beyond a very strong and narrow focus on enterprise app development for large orgs - there is nothing in here that says to me that they care at all if this leads to a minor increase or decrease in native app development. If people still want to do native app development for consumer focused apps, the infrastructure is still there but nothing says that BBRY actually cares anymore.
    There never was and never will be a discrepancy between enterprise and consumer apps. The two cross over all the time and you won't have one without the other. BB10 app development is effectively dead, especially if the layoff of the entire developer relations team proves true.

The decision, while beneficial for consumers, will also be to the detriment of Blackberry's presence in enterprise. I do not see enterprise being open to using apps reliant on another OS's runtime. Finding developers to write native, custom apps will also be more difficult than before.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 06-18-14 at 12:07 PM.
    06-18-14 11:57 AM
    LOL! Very true.

But realistically, the only way it could never happen would be for Blackberry to forever be delegated to a very very small nich and struggle in the mobile industry. Suppose for a moment that at the launch of BB10, everything went right, devices sold like hotcakes, and Blackberry skyrocketed back to their former glory with great success. Commercial/Professional development would have swooped in with native development to end with the same result because the market would be there for them, and Indie developers would still be facing the same heartbreak.
    Absolutely. The way events played out, they had to make this move to survive. The problem with tough decisions is that there are almost always casualties. Native devs (and likely their support staff within Blackberry) are taking the blow with this decision.
    06-18-14 11:58 AM
    What do they get in return?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 12:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Exposure. It's a win/win for both companies.
    06-18-14 12:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Amazon gets more customers and a bigger audience for its apps and services. Amazon probably perceives BB10 as a non-competitor to its own products so the incentive needed to "support" BB10 is very small.

Strictly speaking, an Amazon device will likely always have better performance than a Blackberry device running the same app since BB10 is reliant on a runtime. The few consumers that consider both BB10 and Amazon are more likely to pick Amazon.

Amazon may also believe that it has potential to siphon off BB10 users as BB10 users become increasingly reliant on its services and the health of BB10 continues to decline. BBRY carrying Amazon Appstore is basically a dangerous endorsement for Amazon devices and services.

I do believe that details probably have to be panned out for apps that do not function properly; but, as long as the support costs are carried by BBRY, the deal is a win-win for Amazon.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-18-14 12:21 PM
    There never was and never will be a discrepancy between enterprise and consumer apps. The two cross over all the time and you won't have one without the other. BB10 app development is effectively dead, especially if the layoff of the entire developer relations team proves true.

The decision, while beneficial for consumers, will also be to the detriment of Blackberry's presence in enterprise. I do not see enterprise being open to using apps reliant on another OS's runtime. Finding developers to write native, custom apps will also be more difficult than before.
    I'm a bit skeptical about the entire developer relations team being let go. It's just speculation on my part, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it was just scaled back. ie... the employees who's job it was to market and entice BB10 development will be scaled back (if not altogether gone), but those who's job it was to work and consult with various enterprises and aid them in their custom BB10 development projects will remain intact. Granted that's just speculation on my part, but if BBRY were to eliminate any and all enterprise development aid, that would just be gross negligence. And given their statements that they'll be focusing on enterprise, I doubt they'd do something so off the wall crazy.
    Skyforever likes this.
    06-18-14 12:23 PM
    Finally, something they can sell to the public.
    06-18-14 12:29 PM
    Wow, if this is true it is great news.

Posted via CB10
    it seems pretty damn true!
    06-18-14 12:48 PM
    Exposure. It's a win/win for both companies.
    Amazon gets music and video sales. BlackBerry is closing those parts of BlackBerry World this summer.
    06-18-14 12:49 PM
    Where was the incentive ??

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Agree with you.

The incentive to build native apps will come from strong and high device sales. Period. This has not happened (yet) for BB10, hence the need for a short term fix with Amazon. The status quo was never an option.
    06-18-14 12:57 PM
    Agree with you.

The incentive to build native apps will come from strong and high device sales. Period. This has not happened (yet) for BB10, hence the need for a short term fix with Amazon. The status quo was never an option.
    They got to sell devices but at what point will developers start to go native ? When the platform has 50 million users? 100 million ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-18-14 01:00 PM
    If this helps BlackBerry get back in the game then I am completely for it. Most of the common android apps run just fine and 10.3 should be even better. People complained since day one that we didn't have this app or didn't have that app, we get them and now it's not native and it's not OK. I'll judge how good this android deal is when 10.3 comes out officially and go from there. For now I'm happy showing my friends I got a better phone that runs all there apps and mine on one fantastic device.

The Z10
    Skyforever likes this.
    06-18-14 01:02 PM
    Looks like i was right when i heard from my sources a 10.3 update for a dedicated android app store

Developers Confirm Blackberry World will Soon be Accepting Android Apps
    06-18-14 02:04 PM
    Just as well get the M8 now I guess.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-18-14 02:57 PM
    I believe in Mr. BlackBerry Chen and the BlackBerry Team. They are Smart People. The future... is the future. It is what it is. Here's to Mr Chen and Team. Keep it moving... Long, Live, BlackBerry!
    Last edited by Skyforever; 06-18-14 at 03:51 PM.
    06-18-14 03:23 PM
    Shop until you drop?

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    06-18-14 03:24 PM
    Amazon gets music and video sales. BlackBerry is closing those parts of BlackBerry World this summer.
    Free Amazon music for Prime members...

06-18-14 03:25 PM
    I believe in Mr. BlackBerry Chen and the BlackBerry Team. They are Smart People. The future... is the future. It is what it is. Here's to Mr Chen and Team. Keep it moving. Long live BlackBerry.
    Amen.

06-18-14 03:26 PM
    Are you going to want to be the developer whose ratings for an app start to go down and whose page gets filled with negative comments on the app when it doesn't work correctly on the BlackBerry runtime on which it was never technically developed for?

Posted via CB10
    anon1727506 likes this.
    06-18-14 03:31 PM
    This has me wondering, now that these apps are "official" will notifications work? For example, I have the FIFA world cup app installed on my phone, but never get notifications

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 03:38 PM
    amen.

Using z10, wanting z30, eyeing windermere
    lol +1
    06-18-14 03:47 PM
    Are you going to want to be the developer whose ratings for an app start to go down and whose page gets filled with negative comments on the app when it doesn't work correctly on the BlackBerry runtime on which it was never technically developed for?

Posted via CB10
    They must have enough faith in the Android runtime on 10.3 to believe that this will not be an issue for the most part. And let's be honest, this is a problem that plagues legitimate android devices. Not all apps run equally well on all Android HW.
    06-18-14 03:51 PM
245 ... 56789 ...