09-29-14 10:20 PM
245 ... 23456 ...
tools
    If BlackBerry plays thos roght and completely cleans the BlackBerry World then it could kickstart the 3rd party dev ecosystem

Posted via CB10
    It started clean last year at launch, it quickly became S4BB world with there 10's of thousands of garbage apps. There's no kickstarting native development. They know that now, and are doing the only thing they can afford at this point: rely on others to do it for them.
    06-18-14 08:43 AM
    I'm on the 10.3 leak and use the Amazon App Store. Amazon offers a free app every day. All but one over the last month work. Still, the Android runtime needs to be FASTER, especially in load times.

The Amazon App store is decent but is still missing many things. Hopefully this Amazon phone will be successful and more apps will be added.

Posted via CB10
    Since they are getting a phone out I can see the bog apps all flocking to amazon. All they have to do is give them their APK fron Google Play

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:44 AM
    It started clean last year at launch, it quickly became S4BB world with there 10's of thousands of garbage apps. There's no kickstarting native development. They know that now, and are doing the only thing they can afford at this point: rely on others to do it for them.
    So sadd

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:45 AM
    Why would Amazon allow this announcement a day before the launch of their phone?
    I thought that too... and it'd only make sense if BlackBerry had something to do with the Android device being announced tomorrow, or if there were bad figures to announce tomorrow. We'll know then.
    06-18-14 08:46 AM
    Maybe Amazon wants to give some competition to Google by giving their appstore to as many OS as possible and grow its user base so it can sell its contents like music, movies and apps to other Mobile OS like BB10, Jolla SailFish, Tizen, and more to come.

Ok, so what did Amazon get in return? It has to be more than just BlackBerry users. It would be really nice if this Amazon phone was powered by BB10.
    06-18-14 08:47 AM
    Chen is getting things done that none of the other CEOs have been able to do plain and simple.

This guy doesn't fuc around

Posted via CB10
    ptpete likes this.
    06-18-14 08:52 AM
    if they clean BlackBerry world those 3rd party devs have a chance to make money. This will be amazing for 3rd party devs.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 06-18-14 at 09:20 AM.
    06-18-14 08:52 AM
    I don't know the legal background but they should have dealt with the guy who invented the best native google app store for BlackBerry 10: Snap!

Maybe they will additionally launch it besides the amazon store!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    06-18-14 08:59 AM
    Maybe Amazon wants to give some competition to Google by giving their appstore to as many OS as possible and grow its user base so it can sell its contents like music, movies and apps to other Mobile OS like BB10, Jolla SailFish, Tizen, and more to come.
    Think Amazon doesn't really care much about the App Store, but they know it is required if they want devices that are tied to their shopping platform.... which is what they are really after.

I bet along with the Amazon Store App there will be a Shopping App.... maybe even some changes to the browser??
    06-18-14 09:05 AM
    Who wants to pay for numerous apps with the potential that they won't work on the Q10??? Even ones that do work are ridiculously slow when loading. Will 10.3 address these issues?

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l likes this.
    06-18-14 09:09 AM
    I don't know the legal background but they should have dealt with the guy who invented the best native google app store for BlackBerry 10: Snap!

Maybe they will additionally launch it besides the amazon store!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    Snap is against the terms of use of Google play. Any official support for Snap, would result in Google being all over BB with lawsuits.
    JeepBB and koebi90 like this.
    06-18-14 09:15 AM
    Why would Amazon allow this announcement a day before the launch of their phone?
    Because people are not going to be flocking to BlackBerry over this. It's a win-win for Amazon. More developers will look at supporting their app store because it will soon be more accessible to millions of BB10 devices in addition to the millions of Amazon smartphones and Kindles.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    anon1727506 and techvisor like this.
    06-18-14 09:17 AM
    Chen is getting things done that none of the other CEOs have been able to do plain and simple.

This guy doesn't fuc around

Posted via CB10
    The Amazon Appstore has already been available to those running 10.2.1. BlackBerry just made the next logical step and formalized the relationship.

It's a great move, but it would have happened anyway, Chen or no Chen.

06-18-14 09:20 AM
    Think Amazon doesn't really care much about the App Store, but they know it is required if they want devices that are tied to their shopping platform.... which is what they are really after.

I bet along with the Amazon Store App there will be a Shopping App.... maybe even some changes to the browser??
    if amazon opens up more in Canada since Amazon.ca sucks. I will definitely buy into Prime :P
    06-18-14 09:21 AM
    Who wants to pay for numerous apps with the potential that they won't work on the Q10??? Even ones that do work are ridiculously slow when loading. Will 10.3 address these issues?

Posted via CB10
    This is an excellent point. Android apps don't always play nicely with the Q10's 1:1 aspect ratio. For the BlackBerry physical keyboard faithful, this announcement has pretty much shattered any hopes of a robust native app experience.

bbq10l likes this.
    06-18-14 09:23 AM
    This is a double edged sword. There is no incentive to develop a native app for BlackBerry world now.

Posted via CB10
    Most intelligent comment on this thread to date. What has killed BB10 to this point is lack of development. The lack of development is due to several reasons...one major reason is the BB10's ability to run Android apps, therefore creating lazy dev's and very few native apps. This move just furthers this problem. BB needs to limit money on moves like this and spend it on attracting dev's that will create solid big name apps.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    06-18-14 09:24 AM
    As much as I hate to agree with everything you've said here, I do. I think this will ultimately kill native app development and might eventually render blackberry world pointless.
    I for one have been thinking BlackBerry will shift most of its devices to it's own version of Android eventually. BB10 will remain for niche enterprise/classic type phones. QNX will move away from worrying about supporting the handset OS as a primary goal and instead focus on the back end services and the IoT stuff.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-18-14 09:29 AM
    Most intelligent comment on this thread to date. What has killed BB10 to this point is lack of development. The lack of development is due to several reasons...one major reason is the BB10's ability to run Android apps, therefore creating lazy dev's and very few native apps. This move just furthers this problem. BB needs to limit money on moves like this and spend it on attracting dev's that will create solid big name apps.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    That ship has sailed.

They just don't have the cash or resources necessary to attract developers. They have already tried, and failed.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has buckets of cash to throw at developers for Windows Phone. And they are slowly, but steadily succeeding. That's why they have overtaken BlackBerry in North America despite the market being saturated.

Devs go where the money is. And it's not BB10.

southlander, JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    06-18-14 09:34 AM
    I for one have been thinking BlackBerry will shift most of its devices to it's own version of Android eventually. BB10 will remain for niche enterprise/classic type phones. QNX will move away from worrying about supporting the handset OS as a primary goal and instead focus on the back end services and the IoT stuff.
    Instead of a custom Android (time and money BB may not have for development)... what about a BB10/Amazon Hybrid. BB10 provides the security that enterprise needs and the Amazon OS provides the ecosystem.

What ever happens, if you are a developer for BB10... you might want to stick to developer tools that also work with other platforms.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-18-14 09:36 AM
    Doomsday for native devs
    06-18-14 09:41 AM
    Doomsday for native devs
    Any native devs out there feel like they've just been punched in the face by BlackBerry? I know I would.

06-18-14 09:48 AM
    Doomsday for native devs
    Maybe not. If this helps get more people on BB10 they will most likely recognize which apps run better. I could see a scenario where they look first in BB native appworld and then check Amazon. That's what I do now. I barely have any Amazon apps because I usually find a better alternative in BB appworld. With the larger population it could help native developers in the long run. It might not but I thought I'd present one possible scenario that doesn't seem as popular for discussion in this thread.
    06-18-14 09:51 AM
    So maybe they will finally add BBM to the Amazon app store.

Posted via CB10
    I have the Amazon store App installed on my Z10 and I do not get updates for Android Apps. And you are right, BBM is not even available on the store offerings.

However, I have 1 Mobile and this application always provide updates for those installed Android Apps.

I just went to the Amazon store App and it prompted me to update. I will wait till 10.3 is out in a few months.
    06-18-14 09:52 AM
    If you want to help BlackBerry World better during this transition instead of complaining about it (because it will happen no matter what now). Come to Beta Zone where they actually check and give them ideas on how to IMPROVE BLACKBERRY WORLD

Lets help make BlackBerry World Better Campaign
    https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/...w/23253#113330

Get Rid of: (Clean the house)
    - Android Ports
    - "App for ..." apps
    - Non functional apps like from S4BB
    - Don't let developers mess with the rating and comment system

Make it better for third party Developers!!!
    06-18-14 09:53 AM
    Any native devs out there feel like they've just been punched in the face by BlackBerry? I know I would.

Yup. http://forums.crackberry.com/general...e-apps-939468/
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-18-14 09:53 AM
245 ... 23456 ...