09-29-14 11:20 PM
245 12345 ...
tools
    Does this include Google services as well?

Posted via CB10
    The Amazon Appstore does not have GS apps, so no.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    06-18-14 08:42 AM
    Huge Premarket volume and BB stock up+6%!!!
    Thank you for the heads up.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    06-18-14 08:48 AM
    Hopefully but who is really helping who the most. I don't think Amazon wants BBM in return, it would be nice but I think amazon just wants to expand its reach.

Posted via CB10
    BBM already runs on all Kindle fire HD tablets, may be an official now then yes

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:57 AM
    Amazon is about to launch their first smartphone, so this is a great move for them to promote their Appstore, get more people using it, and attract developers to it.

This will not, however, cause any kind of mass exodus to BlackBerry.

I predict Amazon's smartphone will outsell BlackBerry devices.

This also means that BlackBerry has conceded defeat in trying to develop it's own native app ecosystem. Native app development will be focused on enterprise customers, and they will continue to improve the Android runtime to keep consumers happy.

I think the writing is on the wall, folks. The next 2 major BlackBerry devices will have keyboards, and they have just made their piggy-backing on the Android ecosystem official. BlackBerry will remain a niche device for some time to come. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does shatter the hopes of some that BlackBerry will reclaim it's former dominance in the smartphone market.

Overall, I think this move is the best they could have made under the circumstances.

I'm already using the Amazon Appstore on my Z30.

06-18-14 08:58 AM
    Let's.hope that Amazon builds a Native BB10 Appstore for BlackBerry. Cause if they just put their Android port it will be slow and sluggish.

Posted via CB10
    I'm hoping so too and it will be the best results

Posted via CB10
    Oh man that's good news and bad news!

Good:
    that deal is really helpful for BlackBerry to silence the criticism concerning the so called app gap!

Bad:
    To marketwire such good news the day before quarterly financial results and AGM means that Mr Chen wants to prepare us for real bad figures...

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever

The recent update to WatchESPN did require it. I think it just slipped through that the update in Amazon was the very same update in Google Play. As it is, I have to stick with the April update which still didn't need GS.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:59 AM
    Interestingly, a smart move by BlackBerry for a change. With the Amazon phone about to hit, Amazons app store will be getting a lot more attention. It is really the only credible big name rival to Google Play for Android.

If Amazon gains a lot of traction and their Android essentially becomes another apps platform this could help BlackBerry. Most all the apps, and arguably the world's best media store, etc. The missing Google services are still an issue of course.
    06-18-14 08:59 AM

Have a several of friends that got Gen 1 Kindle Fires... they have most all moved on to other Tablets. Main complaint was that the Amazon Apps store was usually months behind other app stores and because Google Apps didn't work.

I think making Android App Official and having the Amazon Store a preinstalled app will be "better".

The question now is will they fix it so that more apps work!
    techvisor and kevinnugent like this.
    06-18-14 09:04 AM
    I know I'm not buying or using anything out of that app store

Swordsmanship & Western Martial Arts Channel C000C9AF6
    06-18-14 09:09 AM
    The question now is will they fix it so that more apps work!
    Predicting a big headache for Amazon there.

Anyway, RIP native development, we hardly knew ye.
    TGR1, JeepBB, techvisor and 1 others like this.
    06-18-14 09:10 AM
    Will these apps be available for playbook as well? Or will it be just for models that people care about?
    06-18-14 09:10 AM
    Oh man that's good news and bad news!

Good:
    that deal is really helpful for BlackBerry to silence the criticism concerning the so called app gap!

Bad:
    To marketwire such good news the day before quarterly financial results and AGM means that Mr Chen wants to prepare us for real bad figures...

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    Possibly also wanted to be announced before Amazon's event.
    06-18-14 09:15 AM
    exactly!!! this is what i want to know b4 i go all in.

Let's.hope that Amazon builds a Native BB10 Appstore for BlackBerry. Cause if they just put their Android port it will be slow and sluggish.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:21 AM
    Amazon is about to launch their first smartphone, so this is a great move for them to promote their Appstore, get more people using it, and attract developers to it.

This will not, however, cause any kind of mass exodus to BlackBerry.

I predict Amazon's smartphone will outsell BlackBerry devices.

This also means that BlackBerry has conceded defeat in trying to develop it's own native app ecosystem. Native app development will be focused on enterprise customers, and they will continue to improve the Android runtime to keep consumers happy.

I think the writing is on the wall, folks. The next 2 major BlackBerry devices will have keyboards, and they have just made their piggy-backing on the Android ecosystem official. BlackBerry will remain a niche device for some time to come. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does shatter the hopes of some that BlackBerry will reclaim it's former dominance in the smartphone market.

Overall, I think this move is the best they could have made under the circumstances.

I'm already using the Amazon Appstore on my Z30.

As much as I hate to agree with everything you've said here, I do. I think this will ultimately kill native app development and might eventually render blackberry world pointless. It also, IMO, gives up an element of security as collateral damage.

Perhaps I'm a pessimist, but I think this is a step into Blackberry's Android OS transformation and ultimately it's demise; at least in the hardware market. I hate to see it happen, but I think too many mistakes were made during the Heins era in the consumer market to make up for.

My prediction: Enter Amazon store. Native BB10 app dev goes (even more) MIA. Blackberry World is essentially no longer. The (not-so-hidden) realization that it's pointless to buy an Android app phone that doesn't run Android apps natively. BB handset business fails and doors are shut (and locked). Blackberry becomes an enterprise software company only. I shed a tear every time I open my brand new 20 yr old Nokia flip phone in remembrance of what I thought was the best mobile OS around (BB10).

I hope I'm wrong.. but....
    06-18-14 09:30 AM
    Finally a fantastic partnership. Probably the best move by John Chen. This will mean a lot for BlackBerry in future. Now, please market it. Let this be a news on all tech sites. Also, get 10.3 out ASAP. Imagine Z3 release in Indonesia, India and Vietnam with preloaded Amazon and BB10.3, will anyone even open their mouth to complain?
    walt63 likes this.
    06-18-14 09:32 AM
    This is a double edged sword. There is no incentive to develop a native app for BlackBerry world now.

Posted via CB10
    Wrong, corporate apps make a lot of money. Native is the way to go.
    06-18-14 09:38 AM
    Hopefully BlackBerry cleans out our app store of the ports so our 3rd party devs can shine and start up pur own ecosystem finally

There is no point in having Android port in BlackBerry world if they dont get updated and steal thr spot from some independent dev.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:39 AM
    I'm on the 10.3 leak and use the Amazon App Store. Amazon offers a free app every day. All but one over the last month work. Still, the Android runtime needs to be FASTER, especially in load times.

The Amazon App store is decent but is still missing many things. Hopefully this Amazon phone will be successful and more apps will be added.

Posted via CB10
    You guys seem to forget that even if Amazon don't develop a native app for BB10, the 10.3 runtime has improved massively, and that's coming from using a beta OS. Who's to say we aren't going to have a native like experience with 10.3? I think we will.

I will always be a native over Android anyday, I think a native, cascades Instagram would have looked and performed beautifully (yes, I know that isn't also on the Amazon App Store too)

Posted via CB10
    Predicting a big headache for Amazon there.

Anyway, RIP native development, we hardly knew ye.
    If BlackBerry plays thos roght and completely cleans the BlackBerry World then it could kickstart the 3rd party dev ecosystem

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:40 AM
    Why would Amazon allow this announcement a day before the launch of their phone?
    06-18-14 09:41 AM
    I will always be a native over Android anyday, I think a native, cascades Instagram would have looked and performed beautifully (yes, I know that isn't also on the Amazon App Store too)
    BlackBerry Native Cascades apps kills any other platforms apps.

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    06-18-14 09:42 AM
    I want to know how well the android runtime is on leak vs final OS

Posted via CB10
    arvind1983 likes this.
    06-18-14 09:43 AM
    Maybe the deal was to have BBM preloaded in the new Amazon Smartphones? Though, right now BB needs Amazon more, than Amazon needs BB. But still BB could be giving BBM as a token of appreciation.

Hopefully but who is really helping who the most. I don't think Amazon wants BBM in return, it would be nice but I think amazon just wants to expand its reach.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    06-18-14 09:43 AM
245 12345 ...