09-29-14 10:20 PM
245 ... 8910
tools
    BlackBerry might call you a misbehaving child, no? One that has done "something stupid"?

Good luck influencing John Chen. I'm sure he needs your help.
    Give me a break! You haven't posted your opinion on what you think BlackBerry should have or do?

When folks have no defense they attack the messenger.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    mikeo007 and bbq10l like this.
    06-20-14 06:51 AM
    What I really want to know is whether all of the apps will be compatible with the square Q10 screen...
    06-20-14 07:51 AM
    What I really want to know is whether all of the apps will be compatible with the square Q10 screen...
    This will never happen. As most apps are designed for 16:9 and not many android devices are made with 1:1
    They may all work but it doesn't guarantee that they'll look right.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 09:53 AM
    This will never happen. As most apps are designed for 16:9 and not many android devices are made with 1:1
    They may all work but it doesn't guarantee that they'll look right.
    The Q10 aspect ratio just proves that BB wasn't listening totally to dev complaints several years ago. They specifically mentioned that every BB model had different resolutions and aspect ratios, so they couldn't make apps for one BBOS without having to adjust for the specific model screens. BB10 was going to fix that - unified platform and uniform screens similar to ipone... then we saw the Q10. [sigh, SMH] So Dave puts it nicely - so sorry Q10 users, but it won't look right.
    06-20-14 11:38 AM
    The Q10 aspect ratio just proves that BB wasn't listening totally to dev complaints several years ago. They specifically mentioned that every BB model had different resolutions and aspect ratios, so they couldn't make apps for one BBOS without having to adjust for the specific model screens. BB10 was going to fix that - unified platform and uniform screens similar to ipone... then we saw the Q10. [sigh, SMH] So Dave puts it nicely - so sorry Q10 users, but it won't look right.
    In fairness to BlackBerry, native cascades apps we're supposed to address this. I remember seeing coding tutorials here on crackberry talking about how to design an app to be aspect agnostic.

Maybe there will be a way for BlackBerry to scale android apps nicely? Who knows? Hopefully they find a way to keep qwerty phone owners in the Amazon loop.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 12:03 PM
    In fairness to BlackBerry, native cascades apps we're supposed to address this. I remember seeing coding tutorials here on crackberry talking about how to design an app to be aspect agnostic.

Maybe there will be a way for BlackBerry to scale android apps nicely? Who knows? Hopefully they find a way to keep qwerty phone owners in the Amazon loop.

Posted via CB10
    I am actually surprised by the number of apps from Amazon that do scale correctly on my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 12:59 PM
    I am actually surprised by the number of apps from Amazon that do scale correctly on my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    It will only get better. But you can't expect for things to go 100% when they are specifically designed for 16:9... some games for example would be unplayable.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 01:14 PM
    Will the increase in screen size on the Classic help with this at all?

Wondering, what would be the minimum size a screen could be to be able to see 16:9 apps correctly?

Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 01:25 PM
    I haven't really seen much talk about compatibility of android apps in Amazon store with BB10 Android runtime. We all know there are a lot of apps in Amazon store that aren't compatible with BB10 devices, or don't run well on them. Should we assume that BlackBerry intends to improve the runtime to a point that all apps in Amazon store run well?

Also, there are a lot of countries that Amazon app store don't support. in fact, Amazon app store only supports a few countries. So how do they plan to go around these issues?

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    06-20-14 03:01 PM
    This will officially end the “Bring [some big name app] to BB10” pleas. I guess native apps will be whatever is on their now and small/indy developers making and updating utility/multimedia, etc apps. I know hindsight is 20/20, but if only they did this at the BB10 launch. Instead of saying “committed” at the launch and not delivering, they could mention how all the big apps would be there through Amazon. I know they didn’t have the Android run time at that point yet. Instead they tried to do it on their own (to prove a point), failed, they put a “For Sale” sign on their front lawn, and probably scared away a lot of developers. Maybe things would have been different with their finances and jobs saved.

I tried the Amazon App Store back when direct loading of APK’s was allowed and didn’t really care for it. I uninstalled it. I tried again today and it opens pretty slow, freezes, and crashes. Could be my Z10 or needed a reboot, but I hope it works smoother when it comes with 10.3

I think having Amazon handle apps takes their attention away from the consumer side to the enterprise side where they have their best chance at succeeding. What happened here was JC threw a bunch of candy and money at an annoying kid (apps and the consumer market) and said here, “You finally get these. Now run off and play for a while and leave me alone”.
    06-20-14 04:17 PM
    I think having Amazon handle apps takes their attention away from the consumer side to the enterprise side where they have their best chance at succeeding. What happened here was JC threw a bunch of candy and money at an annoying kid (apps and the consumer market) and said here, You finally get these. Now run off and play for a while and leave me alone.
    I laughed when I read this, because it's so true!

Chen has said all along the focus would be on enterprise, and this move together with the upcoming keyboard-centric devices confirms that.
    06-20-14 04:35 PM
    It will only get better. But you can't expect for things to go 100% when they are specifically designed for 16:9... some games for example would be unplayable.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    While I agree with you, there are plenty of people out there that may not be so understanding. That being said, I have been downloading several apps a week from Amazon just to check new ones out. I would say the majority work fine on the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 07:29 PM
    Games on my Z10 look sweet, but are nearly unplayable. They are fantastic on my PlayBook. Major Mayhem is a perfect example. Looks sweet on Z10 but hard to play and listen to on the external speaker. On the Playbook it looks okay, plays and sounds perfect.

My point is this - the Amazon app store is almost pure gaming, not enough apps. I need O365 connectivity on my Z10, which I have. But the MS Mobile Office app isn't available at Amazon. Hopefully this will change soon with the Fire phone. Productivity on the phone, games on the tablet. BB has this backwards currently. Wish they were announcing a new BB tablet after the Amazon app store announcement. I would be complete.
    06-21-14 09:01 AM
    This will officially end the Bring [some big name app] to BB10 pleas. I guess native apps will be whatever is on their now and small/indy developers making and updating utility/multimedia, etc apps. I know hindsight is 20/20, but if only they did this at the BB10 launch. Instead of saying committed at the launch and not delivering, they could mention how all the big apps would be there through Amazon. I know they didnt have the Android run time at that point yet. Instead they tried to do it on their own (to prove a point), failed, they put a For Sale sign on their front lawn, and probably scared away a lot of developers. Maybe things would have been different with their finances and jobs saved.

I tried the Amazon App Store back when direct loading of APKs was allowed and didnt really care for it. I uninstalled it. I tried again today and it opens pretty slow, freezes, and crashes. Could be my Z10 or needed a reboot, but I hope it works smoother when it comes with 10.3

I think having Amazon handle apps takes their attention away from the consumer side to the enterprise side where they have their best chance at succeeding. What happened here was JC threw a bunch of candy and money at an annoying kid (apps and the consumer market) and said here, You finally get these. Now run off and play for a while and leave me alone.
    So Chen views paying consumers as "annoying kids"? Is that why he developed a cheap phone to try to boost sales in a foreign market? BlackBerry is in no position to tell any paying consumer to leave it alone. Chen did what he did to survive. Far different than considering paying customers annoying like you do. You sound like the idiots who ran BlackBerry in the ground. At least he is trying to do something to give paying customers what they want. He certainly understands nothing about a paying customer is "annoying" and refrained from telling them to "leave him alone." The ignorance on these forums is astounding. You clearly don't run a business. The consumer market made Android and Apple rich. Chen only wishes he was in their position...

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 10:20 AM
    Give me a break! You haven't posted your opinion on what you think BlackBerry should have or do?

When folks have no defense they attack the messenger.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    BlackBerry is on the right path with their partnership with Amazon, that's my opinion.

And it won't kill native BlackBerry development when it comes to enterprise apps. In fact, farming off consumer apps to Amazon will boost native app development in BlackBerry World, imo.

That's my defense, what's yours again?
    06-22-14 12:54 AM
    I know I'm not buying or using anything out of that app store
    ---------------------------------------------
    galaxy S5 film protection Samsung galaxy S5 coque
    Last edited by BelleJulies5; 07-02-14 at 04:48 AM.
    06-24-14 02:17 AM
    TWhat happened here was JC threw a bunch of candy and money at an annoying kid (apps and the consumer market) and said here, You finally get these. Now run off and play for a while and leave me alone.
    LOL. Now waiting for the annoying kids to complain about something else :P

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 06:44 AM
    I would like to add another comparison to the discussion: the Fly Delta app. Yesterday I dumped the BB10 Fly Delta app and loaded the Amazon app store Fly Delta app. There is HUGE difference between the two. The android app is great and the BB10 native is awful. The point is this to the native app crowd - I would love to have the native BB10 Fly Delta app on my Z10. But JC can't make Delta produce a better app short of removing it completely. We BB users have been shorted by the app developers in many cases. Not all, but many (Weather Channel is a great example of the opposite - BB10 app is better than the Android version IMHO). So until BB10 apps are as good or better than the android alternatives, please give me access to the Amazon store so I can load the Fly Delta app that is actully useful rather than the half-baked BB10 one. Esp if we continue to get shorted by the app developer.
    m1kr0 likes this.
    07-01-14 08:53 AM
    I've got the amazon store on my device via the amazon website.

Try it.. you will be surprised!!

STA100-6 BlackBerry Z30
    07-08-14 03:51 AM
    Amazon is about to launch their first smartphone, so this is a great move for them to promote their Appstore, get more people using it, and attract developers to it.

This will not, however, cause any kind of mass exodus to BlackBerry.

I predict Amazon's smartphone will outsell BlackBerry devices.

This also means that BlackBerry has conceded defeat in trying to develop it's own native app ecosystem. Native app development will be focused on enterprise customers, and they will continue to improve the Android runtime to keep consumers happy.

I think the writing is on the wall, folks. The next 2 major BlackBerry devices will have keyboards, and they have just made their piggy-backing on the Android ecosystem official. BlackBerry will remain a niche device for some time to come. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does shatter the hopes of some that BlackBerry will reclaim it's former dominance in the smartphone market.

Overall, I think this move is the best they could have made under the circumstances.

I'm already using the Amazon Appstore on my Z30.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    Well it appears the fire phone flopped and passport has already outsold it

The Gif Exchange C001B7B16
    09-29-14 10:20 PM
245 ... 8910