08-14-14 12:26 AM
26 12
tools
    As promised, today July 21st, BlackBerry shut down its music and video content stores in BlackBerry World.

I was wondering, instead of having some annoying Retardroid port app that greatly compromises our privacy as consumers and clients , why doesn't BlackBerry open a one source, one stop-shop virtual store in BlackBerry World like before, but this time to be serviced and run by Amazon?

That would make so much more sense, and would be much simpler...If Amazon can bring its Prime programme to BlackBerry users as well as access to premium content like HBO and Showtime series for example, that would do wonders for old steadfast BlackBerry loyalists and attract new customers as well!

I'm salivating at the prospect of being able to watch "Game Of Thrones" on my Z10!!!

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    johnm137 and coachshawks like this.
    07-21-14 07:15 PM
    Does the Amazon agreement include media? I thought it was only apps.
    07-21-14 07:20 PM
    That is why I am asking...

07-21-14 07:23 PM
    Amazon is bringing the media player to Android, so it isn't outside the realm of possibility.
    07-21-14 07:27 PM
    This would be great. I'm already entrenched in the Amazon ecosystem, so this would be perfect for me.

And before any asks, no, I'm not buying that Amazon phone...

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 08:25 PM
    This is exactly what Blackberry had in mind when they partnered up with Amazon. Music, movies and games will be handled by Amazon. I think starting with 10.3 Blackberry world will exclude all android ports from the app store(including games. But native games will be kept). So when you browse BBworld, only native apps will be shown and I'm sure this will make a lot of die-hard fans happy.
    ALToronto likes this.
    07-21-14 09:27 PM
    Sorry I had to do it.

BlackBerry - Amazon music and video-82505-cartman-meme-screw-you-guys-im-3tnu.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 09:35 PM
    I was wondering what to do about videos. The music store has been replaced but I don't see any video store replacement. Then there is the issue of where Amazon would be available. If it's only in the US it is hardly a solution for a majority of BlackBerry 10 users, as most of us are outside the United States.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 10:08 PM
    And simply to have Amazon give us a ported android app that also circumvents our privacy controls without manual individual control?! Most likely why it's not offered via through the BBWorld ... because Amazon wishes to use their own Android apap front store.
    07-21-14 10:26 PM
    I was wondering what to do about videos. The music store has been replaced but I don't see any video store replacement. Then there is the issue of where Amazon would be available. If it's only in the US it is hardly a solution for a majority of BlackBerry 10 users, as most of us are outside the United States.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I think the idea needs some refinement.
    07-21-14 10:29 PM
    Wait. So Amazon isn't selling their media along with their apps? Why the heck not? That's arguably as important as the apps!

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    07-22-14 12:08 AM
    My reading of the original "BB gets access to Amazon" store deal was that dropping the BBW media-side was the price of admission. BB weren't dealing from a position of strength, and essentially BB agreed to a do not compete deal in media.
    Amazon might bring something, or they may not... I very much doubt that BB have any say in the matter.
    There's some saying about making deals with the Devil...

JBB
    m1a1mg likes this.
    07-24-14 02:25 AM
    My reading of the original "BB gets access to Amazon" store deal was that dropping the BBW media-side was the price of admission. BB weren't dealing from a position of strength, and essentially BB agreed to a do not compete deal in media.
    Amazon might bring something, or they may not... I very much doubt that BB have any say in the matter.
    There's some saying about making deals with the Devil...

JBB
    I thought Google was the devil?

I can't see Amazon asking BB to drop their media store so that they can then not offer their own solution to BB customers. Makes no sense to withhold it and ask BB to also drop their own. A poster in another thread guessed that one big reason for dropping the media store from BB world was because it did not make enough money for all stakeholders involved. So dropping media from BB world may not have been a hard stipulation of Amazon's.
    07-28-14 02:52 PM
    I'm just a little frustrated with the situation right now. I enjoyed browsing through the music and movies in BlackBerry World and buying or renting the odd one. Now there seems to be no option for video. Android has Google Play for movies, Apple has iTunes, what do we have? If Chen wants to move away from consumers, he's doing it right! I truly hope there is something in the works that doesn't require some kind of work around. If I'm to recommend BlackBerry to anyone right now, I need to include the caveat that you can't get movies like on the other platforms.

/end of rant/

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 06:59 PM
    I'm just a little frustrated with the situation right now. I enjoyed browsing through the music and movies in BlackBerry World and buying or renting the odd one. Now there seems to be no option for video. Android has Google Play for movies, Apple has iTunes, what do we have? If Chen wants to move away from consumers, he's doing it right! I truly hope there is something in the works that doesn't require some kind of work around. If I'm to recommend BlackBerry to anyone right now, I need to include the caveat that you can't get movies like on the other platforms.

/end of rant/

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sure it wasn't profitable for BlackBerry or they would have kept it. There's tons of ways people get videos on their phones without using their native app store. I'm sure BlackBerry will come out with something soon or amazon will

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 08:18 PM
    Pretty sure it wasn't profitable for BlackBerry or they would have kept it. There's tons of ways people get videos on their phones without using their native app store. I'm sure BlackBerry will come out with something soon or amazon will

Posted via CB10
    "Soon" isn't really good enough...
    There should have been a solution in place before they dropped media from BlackBerry World
    07-28-14 08:26 PM
    "Soon" isn't really good enough...
    There should have been a solution in place before they dropped media from BlackBerry World
    I believe it's sept when Amazon is coming preloaded on BlackBerry and I bet that's around the time we would hear about movies

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 08:30 PM
    I believe it's sept when Amazon is coming preloaded on BlackBerry and I bet that's around the time we would hear about movies

Posted via CB10
    I hope so, because currently it's just another reason for consumers not to get a BlackBerry. It may seem trivial but people want streamlined solutions.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 09:00 PM
    I hope so, because currently it's just another reason for consumers not to get a BlackBerry. It may seem trivial but people want streamlined solutions.

Posted via CB10
    Good point. Easy access to content is definitely needed.

Hopefully, Amazon fills the gap.
    07-28-14 09:07 PM
    I don't buy that BlackBerry killed music and video because it was too expensive. There is nothing to support that. It might not have been very profitable, but it certainly made money imho.

There is more to this story, I hope we find out soon and it is good news. But I am a bit worried it will not be because if it was good, why be silent? If amazon required BlackBerry to kill off movies and video to get into the app store, without amazon providing a native source or indeed an Android port for music and video content, then BlackBerry was really against the wall and it would suck for us customers.

The fact that amazon does not properly serve Canada and elsewhere is also problematic.

Posted via CB10
    johnm137 and JeepBB like this.
    07-28-14 10:18 PM
    As promised, today July 21st, BlackBerry shut down its music and video content stores in BlackBerry World.

I was wondering, instead of having some annoying Retardroid port app that greatly compromises our privacy as consumers and clients , why doesn't BlackBerry open a one source, one stop-shop virtual store in BlackBerry World like before, but this time to be serviced and run by Amazon?

That would make so much more sense, and would be much simpler...If Amazon can bring its Prime programme to BlackBerry users as well as access to premium content like HBO and Showtime series for example, that would do wonders for old steadfast BlackBerry loyalists and attract new customers as well!

I'm salivating at the prospect of being able to watch "Game Of Thrones" on my Z10!!!

Except Game of Thrones is not included in Amazon HBO content.....yet.
    07-28-14 10:23 PM
    I thought Google was the devil?

I can't see Amazon asking BB to drop their media store so that they can then not offer their own solution to BB customers. Makes no sense to withhold it and ask BB to also drop their own. A poster in another thread guessed that one big reason for dropping the media store from BB world was because it did not make enough money for all stakeholders involved. So dropping media from BB world may not have been a hard stipulation of Amazon's.

Google can't be the Devil, they promised to do no evil. I read it on the inter webs... so it must be true.

Actually I agree with you that Amazon might well bring something - if there is an exploitable market, it would be folly to not exploit it.
    My point was more that Amazon would bring that media portal to *their* appstore, not BBW, and that BB would have no say in the matter.
    Obviously I wasn't at the BB/Amazon meeting where this was agreed, but I suspect that vague Amazon promises about a future media portal were made to BB accompanied by vague threats that this wouldn't occur while BB ran a potentially competing media portal.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    07-29-14 02:43 AM
    I'm holding out the faint hope that Amazon will make their media apps available outside the US.

That might make at least a little sense, since that would be a big barrier to the Fire Phone ad well.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    07-29-14 03:02 AM
    Where do those of us download purchased videos now?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 01:18 AM
    Where do those of us download purchased videos now?

Posted via CB10
    Torrent Bay. I kid! I kid!

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-12-14 01:21 AM
26 12