03-04-15 04:37 PM
152 ... 4567
tools
    I received really good telephone service from the BlackBerry Texas call centre back in 2012. They have since closed that centre.

I am totally confident that either my carrier or my Apple store would be helpful in fixing a broken iPhone as well.

I purchased an unlocked phone from shop BlackBerry for $199. It really is a throw away should the phone fail after the warranty period. Even during the warranty period the support would be slim. If I buy a phone from Telus, I would expect support from the carrier.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 08:35 PM
    I agree.

Along with a few others, I posted a few months ago that Chen might well succeed in saving the company... but that the BlackBerry that remained after he'd "saved it" would be of little interest to nearly everyone posting on CB. And we're getting closer to that point by the day I reckon. This latest plan involves selling the BB10 crown jewels to other platforms, and renders further BB10 handset production pointless IMO as the USP for BB10 devices becomes (solely?) increased security under BES versus all the other advantages other platforms have in a range of areas. BlackBerry is well on the way to becoming an Enterprise MDM, software, and services vendor with a range of niche phones that appeal to less than 1% of buyers and which has ceded the consumer space.

A BlackBerry centred around BES12 is unlikely to excite the bulk of CB members. As someone joked, few will rush to join a forum dedicated to discussing AirWatch's MDM... or even one discussing the finer points of BES12.
    Blackberry does not exist to "excite the bulk of CB members". It is supposed to earn a profit for its shareholders. By porting their software to other platforms, BB will finally be competing with Good in the BYOD market. If BB doesn't compete in the BYOD market they are going to end up in bankruptcy court. Cost cutting is driving more and more traditional BB7 using companies to a BYOD model. Many of those companies are deploying Good because BB has no products for that market.
    JeepBB and rthonpm like this.
    03-02-15 09:32 PM
    Blackberry does not exist to "excite the bulk of CB members". It is supposed to earn a profit for its shareholders. By porting their software to other platforms, BB will finally be competing with Good in the BYOD market. If BB doesn't compete in the BYOD market they are going to end up in bankruptcy court. Cost cutting is driving more and more traditional BB7 using companies to a BYOD model. Many of those companies are deploying Good because BB has no products for that market.
    Exactly.
    This weekend I was in a gathering talking to a friends' friend who happened to be mobileIron employee. What he pointed out was that BBRY has an image problem that Chen is trying hard to remedy. In order to ramp up EMM service revenue, BBRY needs to be more of a EMM solution provider that provides service to all mobile platform, as customers wish, would also provide end to end solution thru their branded phone, and less of a mobile handset provider that also make some income on the side providing EMM service to other mobile platform.
    This is a key image problem before CTOs started looking into BBRY's solution. It has to be known as a EMM solution first and foremost.
    03-02-15 09:49 PM
    let's be a little analytic... BB has some descent hardware out with much troublesome OTA misery... the competing platforms have massive market share... BB has not acquired any substantive cut of that via hardware... now they fall back on their security stuff with the expectation the two major players would not be able to do that without BB's ...and then comes this... more trouble...

Blackphone 2 Is Probably the World's Most Secure Smartphone
    03-02-15 10:01 PM
    The average smartphone owner is invested in iOS or Android. These two platforms work for what they want to do. In general terms they are mainly interested in using the reply devices to do things. Take a picture, browse or play a game. You can do all of these things without any assistance from BlackBerry apps. The bottom line is that I expect the same reaction to this venture as the reaction to BBM. People are not laying awake thinking about a unified hub.

I do not feel that this venture will have any effect on handset sales. Those who want a BlackBerry all touch will continue to do so provided there are good handsets to buy.
    If for some reason BlackBerry gets out of the all touch phones, I would not be going out of my way to give a BlackBerry flair to the iPhone 7 that I would eventually buy.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    03-02-15 10:35 PM
    Royalties?
    yes, here i looked it up on a dictionary for you

7. a compensation or portion of the proceeds paid to the owner of a right, as a patent or oil or mineral right, for the use of it.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    03-02-15 10:52 PM
    yes, here i looked it up on a dictionary for you

7. a compensation or portion of the proceeds paid to the owner of a right, as a patent or oil or mineral right, for the use of it.
    Freakin' brilliant!

All this time, all BBRY needed was to collect royalties.

LOL.
    03-02-15 11:02 PM
    The average smartphone owner is invested in iOS or Android. These two platforms work for what they want to do. In general terms they are mainly interested in using the reply devices to do things. Take a picture, browse or play a game. You can do all of these things without any assistance from BlackBerry apps. The bottom line is that I expect the same reaction to this venture as the reaction to BBM. People are not laying awake thinking about a unified hub.

I do not feel that this venture will have any effect on handset sales. Those who want a BlackBerry all touch will continue to do so provided there are good handsets to buy.
    If for some reason BlackBerry gets out of the all touch phones, I would not be going out of my way to give a BlackBerry flair to the iPhone 7 that I would eventually buy.

Posted via CB10
    I agree.

I don't think it changes the status quo at all.

BBRY is adapting, and I think that is where the positives lie.
    03-02-15 11:06 PM
    All I want to hear from BlackBerry is about the Visa/Victoria and the Classic 2...
    03-02-15 11:19 PM
    why would anyone buy a BlackBerry when you'll be able to buy parts of it and customize your IPhone or Samsung ,etc with the best of BB? In my opinion, this is the start of the end for the handset division .
    Maybe because some ppl don't like Android or Apple OS?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 11:33 PM
    I don't understand all the hate. If you guys are BB fans, and if the experience will be same, why wouldn't anyone be happy that they will have a lot more hardware options, and in fact much more affordable hardware options with much better features & functionality, and with BB on the side. I would really love that.
    If you are a BB fan, great, you will be able to use their software and keep supporting them. ows.
    I don't care if other OS's get BB10 features. In fact, I think it's a great idea. I just don't see why it should automatically make me want to switch to an android or iPhone?

And yet all I see are posters assuming that if these features are available everyone will immediately jump ship. Can't see it for myself. I've never liked the Android UI and I'm less impressed with Apple every time I have to use it. I don't think even adding some great Bb10 features can sweeten those pills enough for me.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 11:39 PM
    I don't care if other OS's get BB10 features. In fact, I think it's a great idea. I just don't see why it should automatically make me want to switch to an android or iPhone?

And yet all I see are posters assuming that if these features are available everyone will immediately jump ship. Can't see it for myself. I've never liked the Android UI and I'm less impressed with Apple every time I have to use it. I don't think even adding some great Bb10 features can sweeten those pills enough for me.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, that makes sense, not sure why everyone thinks that, but I guess if you really want that flexibility and speed, you might have to go with either one.
    Maybe HUB will be slow on Android and iPhone like how android apps don't always work properly on BB devices. If they could offer blackberry environment within android, like a blackberry button or work/personal switch, work goes into BB mode with complete BB OS interface and personal goes into Android OS, maybe samsung should consider this. Most people are not thrilled with BB Passport and Classic is considered overpriced Q10, it's going to be tough.
    03-03-15 12:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Considering a lot of the people posting here on Crackberry are probably paid bashers hired by Apple or Android, they are probably biased towards that point of view. Personally I love my BlackBerry and have no intention to switch.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 12:24 AM
    I agree, that makes sense, not sure why everyone thinks that, but I guess if you really want that flexibility and speed, you might have to go with either one.
    Maybe HUB will be slow on Android and iPhone like how android apps don't always work properly on BB devices. If they could offer blackberry environment within android, like a blackberry button or work/personal switch, work goes into BB mode with complete BB OS interface and personal goes into Android OS, maybe samsung should consider this. Most people are not thrilled with BB Passport and Classic is considered overpriced Q10, it's going to be tough.
    I wonder if it would be that involved. I'm thinking more like simple, standalone software solutions.

A BlackBerry environment might be a tough sell.
    03-03-15 12:32 AM
    It's not quite a lie... he said "still committed", which covers "up through today", but it says nothing about the future.
    Actually he used the word "intend" which is the ultimate CYA.

Not technically a lie... but even sleezier.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-03-15 01:25 AM
    I think it's a great idea. I just don't see why it should automatically make me want to switch to an android or iPhone?
    Posted via CB10
    I think it's a great idea. I just don't see why it should automatically make me want to stay with Blackberry phone?

That's really different matter, android apps built for android, don't care if it doesn't run properly on other platforms (os10).

For bbry services, they should(must) make it works properly, because they are targetting enterprise right? if it doesn't, and NO ONE (on other platforms users) wants to use it, it will be double kill for them (both hardware and software).
    03-03-15 01:31 AM
    Exactly.
    This weekend I was in a gathering talking to a friends' friend who happened to be mobileIron employee. What he pointed out was that BBRY has an image problem that Chen is trying hard to remedy. In order to ramp up EMM service revenue, BBRY needs to be more of a EMM solution provider that provides service to all mobile platform, as customers wish, would also provide end to end solution thru their branded phone, and less of a mobile handset provider that also make some income on the side providing EMM service to other mobile platform.
    This is a key image problem before CTOs started looking into BBRY's solution. It has to be known as a EMM solution first and foremost.
    BlackBerry's primary image problem is, and has been for several years, the simple fact that almost no one outside of this geek forum even knows they still build phones.

It was such a simple problem to solve... but BlackBerry are fixated instead on stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 01:38 AM
    Actually he used the word "intend" which is the ultimate CYA.

Not technically a lie... but even sleezier.

Posted via CB10
    What is really sleazy are the people that hang around this site making the thousands of FUD posts.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    03-03-15 02:23 AM
    Well if BlackBerry is working on a fix, it's a long time coming. Since they have never acknowledged the problem, it seems unlikely especially as they no longer make that model. Bad luck for all those people who paid for one of these otherwise quite good phones. But a smartphone that only works in landscape mode is not very smart, is it? I started in a spirit of goodwill towards BlackBerry, but I'm moving away, like a lot of other people. The fact that these things can only be aired in forums instead of directly with the company tells you all you need to know about its interest in its customers.
    03-03-15 08:19 AM
    Well if BlackBerry is working on a fix, it's a long time coming. Since they have never acknowledged the problem, it seems unlikely especially as they no longer make that model. Bad luck for all those people who paid for one of these otherwise quite good phones. But a smartphone that only works in landscape mode is not very smart, is it? I started in a spirit of goodwill towards BlackBerry, but I'm moving away, like a lot of other people. The fact that these things can only be aired in forums instead of directly with the company tells you all you need to know about its interest in its customers.
    A key point to understand is that BlackBerry of today is purposefully NOT interested in the end user/customer of its product. Chen has been very adept at furthering that culture.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 11:14 AM
    ok wait... i may have missed this in the last few pages, but what exactly will iOS/ Android users have with Blackberry's Hub? are they gonna have the design and functionality we enjoy with the BB10? or do they get a hub but its all locked with purely BB apps?

because if its the latter then yeah, not much to worry about, but if its the former-- oi! why give away one of the few advantages the BB10 OS have over the other OSes?
    03-03-15 11:30 AM
    What is really sleazy are the people that hang around this site making the thousands of FUD posts.

Posted via CB10
    Some of us hang around here truly hoping that BlackBerry will notice and finally catch on.

As a user of only BlackBerry devices for well over a decade that is my true hope. But after a year of the largest percentage decline in use of BlackBerry hardware (from about 1.5% to now less than 0.5%) to the point where they're not even tracked as their own line item... all while BlackBerry refuses to even advertise their current great Passport and Classic... yes... it is certainly a time of fear, uncertainty and doubt...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackberry_geek; 03-03-15 at 08:28 PM.
    03-03-15 11:38 AM
    ok wait... i may have missed this in the last few pages, but what exactly will iOS/ Android users have with Blackberry's Hub? are they gonna have the design and functionality we enjoy with the BB10? or do they get a hub but its all locked with purely BB apps?

because if its the latter then yeah, not much to worry about, but if its the former-- oi! why give away one of the few advantages the BB10 OS have over the other OSes?
    It's the former. The BB10 Crown Jewels will be made available as a set of Apps for iOS, Android, and WinPhone. It's unlikely those Apps will be free, but Chen was vague on whether the Apps would be buy-once, or recurring subscription payment. Whether these Apps are only available to BES users, or for general consumers also hasn't been clarified.

It'll happen this year. Which many here believe is a stretch considering that xBBM on iOS still has issues many months after release.

Chen is full of surprises no?
    03-03-15 03:32 PM
    ... or possibly a rebirth as a must-have set of Apps?

OK, it's a long shot, and I agree with you that it doesn't look good for the future of BB10 handsets, but if Chen can respin things like the Hub into a popular App on iOS and Android, each platform with zillions of times more users than BB10, and get them to pay a small fee... Then BB (the company) could actually thrive.

It's also entirely consistent with Chen's stated aim of moving BB to becoming a software and services company.
    Yep!

Just what BBM was once, a must have. But now on all platforms...

If it becomes as "indispensable" as any of the big-name apps (Facebook app, Netflix, Snapchat, etc.) on other platforms, BBRY's future is secured...

[software and services company also selling compelling hardware products as a complete end-to-end security solution...]

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-03-15 05:30 PM
    It's the former. The BB10 Crown Jewels will be made available as a set of Apps for iOS, Android, and WinPhone. It's unlikely those Apps will be free, but Chen was vague on whether the Apps would be buy-once, or recurring subscription payment. Whether these Apps are only available to BES users, or for general consumers also hasn't been clarified.

It'll happen this year. Which many here believe is a stretch considering that xBBM on iOS still has issues many months after release.

Chen is full of surprises no?
    The only surprise is it took them this long to develop a cross platform BYOD strategy. I would have expected Chen to make this particular move a while ago.
    03-03-15 08:58 PM
152 ... 4567