03-04-15 03:37 PM
152 ... 34567
tools
    I don't want other platforms to have the hub....

Posted via CB10
    You'd maybe prefer BB10 to continue its journey into irrelevance and the Hub to die with it?
    03-02-15 07:17 AM
    Royalties?
    But most companies try to avoid paying Royalties.... They only do it when there really isn't another option. Maybe at some point someone will do a BlackBerry Keyboard.... but I wouldn't count on BlackBerry getting much out of that deal, as that is a very limited market.

This is going to be a users option... if a company needs the "BlackBerry Experience" for their users, then it will most likely be a BES option. If an individual want it, then they'll have to pay for it ... maybe as part of a BES Cloud package. The problem is how well with the "BlackBerry Experience" work on other devices.... are we talking cross platform BBM good? If so I think that we are a few years from BlackBerry getting the software right and hardware being powerful enough to run it without it destroying the usability of a devices.

Chen is moving away from hardware... as there isn't a future there for BlackBerry. There future is in software and services, but it will be a much smaller market and a much smaller BlackBerry.
    03-02-15 07:27 AM
    Has anyone noticed that no software was ever even shown? This is pure vapor ware! Why was this even announced?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 07:46 AM
    why would anyone buy a BlackBerry when you'll be able to buy parts of it and customize your IPhone or Samsung ,etc with the best of BB? In my opinion, this is the start of the end for the handset division .
    03-02-15 07:57 AM
    BlackBerry hardware division RIP.

Say goodbye to your handset as you currently know it. There is no longer any reason to purchase one (not that they were selling in the first place)
    03-02-15 08:30 AM
    The game is played differently now to keep up. To survive. Well played Chen.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 09:01 AM
    Lol @ the BlackBerry Calendar, BlackBerry will probably pay for them to use the 10.3 BlackBerry calendar 😂

Posted via CB10
    emanuel0ss0 and gvs1341 like this.
    03-02-15 09:09 AM
    Well as someone else said, everything was pointing for this to happen soon or later. What I believe is that these are not going to be free to install on other devices, most of these features would be available through BES or by some kind of subscription. BlackBerry users would have it by default, thats the only way I see BlackBerry keeping its hardware business.
    dararede likes this.
    03-02-15 09:40 AM
    ... or possibly a rebirth as a must-have set of Apps?

OK, it's a long shot, and I agree with you that it doesn't look good for the future of BB10 handsets, but if Chen can respin things like the Hub into a popular App on iOS and Android, each platform with zillions of times more users than BB10, and get them to pay a small fee... Then BB (the company) could actually thrive.

It's also entirely consistent with Chen's stated aim of moving BB to becoming a software and services company.
    Yes, BB being profitable as a company is very good. But this site is more about BB as a handset manufacturer. If BB transitions into a software/services company, it's all good for investors/employees, but or us the fans it wouldn't be the same BB we all like.
    03-02-15 10:04 AM
    Usual FUD suspects found here. BlackBerry Is focusing on monetizing and reclaiming the business sector when they tried to enter the consumer realm.

Chen recognizes money and margins made in software and diminishing returns in hardware if you are not Apple. He's still in the mobile hardware game and the roadmap will be revealed on Tuesday.

Strategy is being revealed and all is on execution now.

Chill people.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 10:14 AM
    I love this. Finally we can have Android/iOS and Blackberry in one. Great idea and I hope it works without some super crazy requirements.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-02-15 10:38 AM
    It was a good run. Will ride out the passport then see whats available
    03-02-15 11:16 AM
    None of this is any use when Blackberry has no contact with customers. Among all the noise about 'support' and all the forums, the fact remains that there is no way to actually speak to anyone in customers services. This lack of concern is reflected in the fact that there are tens of thousands of posts about the Z10 and its endemic screen rotation failure problem, yet there has been no acknowledgment of this from the company, nor any attempt to do anything about it. Blackberry does not accept any responsibility for technical problems, and instead passes them on to the phone provider. Here is one customer that has been lost, and it is clear that others are deserting in their droves. Goodbye, Blackberry. Never again. No wonder you are ailing.
    03-02-15 01:39 PM
    None of this is any use when Blackberry has no contact with customers. Among all the noise about 'support' and all the forums, the fact remains that there is no way to actually speak to anyone in customers services. This lack of concern is reflected in the fact that there are tens of thousands of posts about the Z10 and its endemic screen rotation failure problem, yet there has been no acknowledgment of this from the company, nor any attempt to do anything about it. Blackberry does not accept any responsibility for technical problems, and instead passes them on to the phone provider. Here is one customer that has been lost, and it is clear that others are deserting in their droves. Goodbye, Blackberry. Never again. No wonder you are ailing.
    While Apple has good customer support, I am not too certain about the other brands.

I agree though that BlackBerry does not deal well with systemic hardware issues. Note the double typing Q10 issue. All very strange since they certainly are slow in bringing new phones to the market place.

BlackBerry seems to be more comfortable dealing with Enterprise customers.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 02:37 PM
    What if we BB10 people have to pay to use HUB Ad free!? Hehe
    They know only we BB10 fans care about Hub, keyboard( I like the PKB). I dont like docs2go, 10.3.1 calendar....

Posted via Q10Bold
    03-02-15 03:26 PM
    Wow... They really are commited to killing off BlackBerry 10 and hardware.

What will BB10 fans have to brag about now? Pretty much every single thing that supposedly makes BB10 such a great OS will now be availabe on Android and iOS. Will BlackBerry 10 still be "the ultimate communication tool!" now that Android and iOS have the Hub? What about that much loved virtual keyboard?

Crazyness. If I owned a Passport or a Classic, I would be pretty upset right now and would be selling them as soon as possible.
    Sell my passport for what? The passport is the best hands down on the market. BTW I returned my iphone6 for the passport. The iphone6 doesn't hold a candle to the passport beast.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    03-02-15 03:34 PM
    Wow... They really are commited to killing off BlackBerry 10 and hardware.

What will BB10 fans have to brag about now? Pretty much every single thing that supposedly makes BB10 such a great OS will now be availabe on Android and iOS. Will BlackBerry 10 still be "the ultimate communication tool!" now that Android and iOS have the Hub? What about that much loved virtual keyboard?

Crazyness. If I owned a Passport or a Classic, I would be pretty upset right now and would be selling them as soon as possible.
    Why. They have the physical keyboard and if Chen's new strategy is successful, BB might just sell a few more BES licenses.
    03-02-15 03:37 PM
    Usual FUD suspects found here. BlackBerry Is focusing on monetizing and reclaiming the business sector when they tried to enter the consumer realm.

Chen recognizes money and margins made in software and diminishing returns in hardware if you are not Apple. He's still in the mobile hardware game and the roadmap will be revealed on Tuesday.

Strategy is being revealed and all is on execution now.

Chill people.

Posted via CB10
    It's amazing how much time and effort these FUD suspects spend on CB. Make no mistake that NSA and other freedom hating special interest groups do not want the masses using BlackBerry. Oddly enough the rich and powerful only use BlackBerry. I guess they are not smart enough to use backdoor to NSA iphones?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 03:38 PM
    Yes, BB being profitable as a company is very good. But this site is more about BB as a handset manufacturer. If BB transitions into a software/services company, it's all good for investors/employees, but or us the fans it wouldn't be the same BB we all like.
    I agree.

Along with a few others, I posted a few months ago that Chen might well succeed in saving the company... but that the BlackBerry that remained after he'd "saved it" would be of little interest to nearly everyone posting on CB. And we're getting closer to that point by the day I reckon. This latest plan involves selling the BB10 crown jewels to other platforms, and renders further BB10 handset production pointless IMO as the USP for BB10 devices becomes (solely?) increased security under BES versus all the other advantages other platforms have in a range of areas. BlackBerry is well on the way to becoming an Enterprise MDM, software, and services vendor with a range of niche phones that appeal to less than 1% of buyers and which has ceded the consumer space.

A BlackBerry centred around BES12 is unlikely to excite the bulk of CB members. As someone joked, few will rush to join a forum dedicated to discussing AirWatch's MDM... or even one discussing the finer points of BES12.
    03-02-15 04:14 PM
    Tools not Toys
    03-02-15 04:28 PM
    I don't understand all the hate. If you guys are BB fans, and if the experience will be same, why wouldn't anyone be happy that they will have a lot more hardware options, and in fact much more affordable hardware options with much better features & functionality, and with BB on the side. I would really love that.
    If you are a BB fan, great, you will be able to use their software and keep supporting them. ows.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    03-02-15 04:57 PM
    Could be worse. A colleague of mine, tried to update his htc m7 to lollipop android last week . It froze and never started again and is now a $600 premium paper weight or coaster. He had to dust off the ol $200 second class citizen z10 backup and upgraded it to 10.3.1 with no problems. He hasn't trash talked BlackBerry since. I kinda enjoyed the scene playing out.

Not to dismiss the aggravating screen rotation thing, but im sure BlackBerry is working on a fix. My z10 upgraded fine so not all devices were affected.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 05:59 PM
    Could be worse. A colleague of mine, tried to update his htc m7 to lollipop android last week . It froze and never started again and is now a $600 premium paper weight or coaster. He had to dust off the ol $200 second class citizen z10 backup and upgraded it to 10.3.1 with no problems. He hasn't trash talked BlackBerry since. I kinda enjoyed the scene playing out.

Not to dismiss the aggravating screen rotation thing, but im sure BlackBerry is working on a fix. My z10 upgraded fine so not all devices were affected.

Posted via CB10
    Is he willing to sell the M7? Since he can't recover it...
    03-02-15 06:03 PM
    they are all fluffy over the blackphone2
    "At the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, the company said it plans to take this cross-platform strategy a step further and bring the entire BlackBerry experience, including features like the much admired BlackBerry Hub and its virtual keyboard across to devices powered by rivals."

"This is just a very natural evolution of taking our OS, the surfaces and security layers around it and putting it on others' devices, so that our serviceable market is not only 'BlackBerry' devices, but all devices," said BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen on a conference call with media, adding these features will likely be available on other devices toward the end of the year.

Also: "Samsung will sell BlackBerry products and services through Samsung Business Services, a portal that the world's largest cell phone maker has set up for its business clients."

However:
    "Chen stressed that BlackBerry is still committed to its own devices business, and the company is widely expected to unveil at least one new device and provide detail on its device roadmap at the Barcelona congress on Tuesday."

More info:

BlackBerry wants to bring its secret sauce to iPhone, Android - CNET

BlackBerry to broaden its cross-platform strategy | Reuters
    03-02-15 06:26 PM
    I think you are confusing paid Apple support with free BlackBerry support. You'll probably find Apple non-paid support to be absolute garbage as well.

Over the years I've had a few Apple iPod's given to me as gifts. There have been a few times where I'd have to go to the Apple forums to find help. There was no shortage of absolutely pissed off people with Apple forcing changes on people with little regard to impact and resolution.

When they did a big merge of accounts from different systems, many of us couldn't access or reset any of the accounts. They had royally messed up the merge. There was no phone number to call, unless you wanted to pay $29. Oh, but wait. Many people called and paid the $29, and didn't get their problem resolved. In the end, many of us had to recreate accounts, losing whatever history and paid apps we had tied to them.

Apple deletes threads that show major issues with thousands of ******** people (I find it hard to believe "tens of thousands" of BlackBerry users posted about Z10 screen lock issues on an official BlackBerry forum). How many class action lawsuits have been brought against them? How many have they lost? These are all escalated issues where Apple did everything they could to deny issues, until the lawyers come out.

If you are an Apple Care person, you probably never experience Support issues and think they are amazeballs. You paid for that support, it wasn't free. But if you are the type of person who doesn't buy AppleCare (such as me), you'll find their support is the same, non-existent. So when you run into one of these issues that really does require Apple support to step in, you'll bang your head against the wall and cry your eyes out like you just did about not caring and non-existent support.
    gvs1341 likes this.
    03-02-15 06:31 PM
152 ... 34567