03-04-15 03:37 PM
152 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I'm excited about this development. I'm definitely looking forward to this suite becoming available for Android. Perfect for my use case. Contractor with all workflow from multiple clients flowing through my personal device. BlackBerry will have me as a customer as long as they deliver the goods.

Great move

!
    03-01-15 08:57 PM
    I am fine with BlackBerry making only pkb-devices. I think Apple and Android has plenty of much better offerings when it comes to candy-bar form factor smartphones

Posted via CB10
    howarmat and ADGrant like this.
    03-01-15 09:11 PM
    I think they should also license their keyboard patents to other manufacturers: there is no point for BlackBerry to make android devices with their keyboard patents, but the industry leader Samsung could see some interest if they did a device with a high quality BB PKB.
    03-01-15 09:15 PM
    I'm really hoping that this isn't an enterprise only feature. I want to have the hub on my iPhone. But I am not holding my breath.
    03-01-15 09:26 PM
    I think it might be interesting if you can have an android phone and run a BlackBerry virtualized experience or UI / launcher. If one can be in the BlackBerry virtual experience 95% of the time, if it is seamless and indistinguishable from for example say a z30, and be able to run all Google apps on the few occasions someone would want to, then that may be very interesting. Basically the reverse of what we have now.

This I assume would work for any android phone, and BlackBerry makes special android phones with hardware hooks to make the BlackBerry experience even better. Basically only notice you are on an Android phone at boot-up. Google might not like that.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 10:12 PM
    If I were an Android manufacturer, I would work out a deal with Mr. Chen to get as much BlackBerry software and as many BlackBerry services as possible on my high-end device, which would have a slider. Think a better HP (nee Palm) Pre3. Yeah it runs Android, but its UI focus would be BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 10:32 PM
    I can't wait to see how this plays out. These are exciting times!

Z30 STA 100-3 /10.3.1.2267
    03-01-15 10:55 PM
    If I were an Android manufacturer, I would work out a deal with Mr. Chen to get as much BlackBerry software and as many BlackBerry services as possible on my high-end device, which would have a slider. Think a better HP (nee Palm) Pre3. Yeah it runs Android, but its UI focus would be BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    I don't really see any Android manufacturer putting a premium on the form factor or UI.
    03-01-15 10:57 PM
    99.6% of the market already doesn't think there's a reason to buy a BlackBerry anymore. Why is it confusing that they want to expand their software scope beyond the 0.4% ?

Posted via CB10
    Well considering they can't get their software right half the time and it's buggy or incomplete (10.3.1 rollout, Blend) I can see that them becoming a software focused companies definitely the good way to go! No but all harshness aside I wrote what I wrote before I'd even seen that John Chen had stated that there will still be hardware devices being made. That was my only concern, and a lot of others were concerned too for a brief bit before JC stated it. By all means, they should try and expand beyond the 0.4%.
    03-01-15 10:58 PM
    The writing is on the wall... can you read?

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 11:54 PM
    Liar.
    It's not quite a lie... he said "still committed", which covers "up through today", but it says nothing about the future.
    03-02-15 12:06 AM
    NOOO how the hell are they gonna sell any devices.. people don't come to BlackBerry for the hardware.. we're all here for the OS.

BlackBerry is taking a huge gamble on the assumption that people will come to them for the physical keyboards (the only unique feature left)

Posted via CB10
    Other than the Classic/Passport there IS NO DAMN POINT selling a hardware.

In fact they should IMMEDIATELY SELL the hardware devision to Samsung entirely! Embedd their newly announced sweet to Samsung. Actually this is EXACTLY what is happening ... but for people such as yourself having a heart-attack on this announcement he's easing your pain.

Once incredible and advanced new hardware satiates your worries ... you won't even care about BB Hardware!

Time to pucker up, bend over and own it. It's all about enjoying the ride we're all in the same vote.

LOVE this news especially after troubleshooting 8 damn Z30's who's screens IMMEDIATELY DIED after 10.3.1 update - which is a documented known issue by Blackberry! Wasted 4hrs of my time going through EVERY POSSIBLE solution I can muster/research.

Thanks for waking up to 2015 Blackberry.

Watch the stock drop!
    03-02-15 12:11 AM
    they probably sell 100x more iphones and androids in a month than blackberry can do in a year. how much do you think blackberry profits from each phone? not much. but the royalties from using its software on the competitor's phone will be much much more. john chen is a smart guy, and he has done the math. he would not approve if the numbers dont add up.
    03-02-15 12:19 AM
    Kind of sad....:/
    The worst thing- they gonna work harder on the ios/android BB apps and we will still be waiting for a black hub, louder notifications....
    If you look at the video for some of the cross-platform features, there is already visible evidence available that shows features not available on native devices as it is. I, for one, look forward to getting Hub added. Just as I was stoked for cross-platform BBM, which gave me my method of staying in touch with a lot of CB friends.
    03-02-15 01:05 AM
    they probably sell 100x more iphones and androids in a month than blackberry can do in a year. how much do you think blackberry profits from each phone? not much. but the royalties from using its software on the competitor's phone will be much much more. john chen is a smart guy, and he has done the math. he would not approve if the numbers dont add up.
    Royalties?
    03-02-15 01:44 AM
    Let's just watch and see what happens.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    03-02-15 02:14 AM
    keyboard maybe
    Well, that has always been a reason since BB is the only one making good PKB smartphones. But it seems for most people that is not a good reason to buy BB.
    03-02-15 02:33 AM
    If Chen doesn't announce a high end all touch on Tuesday then it really is game over for HW. As others have said he is just using up all the spare parts leftover from the Z10 and Q10 debacle.

On the bright side I can now buy any phone OS I want and get the hub, etc.

It is a shame though as he has done nothing to help HW and has basically done everything he can to kill it. Bravo John. Job well done.
    Release the rumored "Titan"... :-)

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    03-02-15 02:37 AM
    BlackBerry Hub on a sleek iPhone 6 with native apps? Sounds sweet to me!

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    03-02-15 03:16 AM
    HUB is the only thing I was missing on Android/iOS whenever I tried to switch
    (most recent attempt - last month, finally sold off a nexus 5 and returned iphone and came back to my really 'old & used' looking Z10)

Was thinking of getting a Z30 but if Hub etc are there on iOS / Android then i would be much better off with an iPhone 6 or Note 4.

Probably, this can make loads of more money for BB than selling hardware. And it is something which is really useful.
    03-02-15 03:59 AM
    New "BlackBerry Experience Suite" video on Youtube:

03-02-15 04:57 AM
    Beginning of the end for BB10.

BlackBerry hates America!
    03-02-15 05:49 AM
    when they go cross platform they will have to keep it up to date. which will go for current BB.
    03-02-15 06:06 AM
    I don't want other platforms to have the hub....

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 06:30 AM
    Beginning of the end for BB10.
    !
    ... or possibly a rebirth as a must-have set of Apps?

OK, it's a long shot, and I agree with you that it doesn't look good for the future of BB10 handsets, but if Chen can respin things like the Hub into a popular App on iOS and Android, each platform with zillions of times more users than BB10, and get them to pay a small fee... Then BB (the company) could actually thrive.

It's also entirely consistent with Chen's stated aim of moving BB to becoming a software and services company.
    03-02-15 07:14 AM
152 ... 23456 ...