03-04-15 03:37 PM
152 12345 ...
tools
    With this.... the only reason to even get a BB device is security.

No more "oh but we have the hub and can be productive with that", Android/iOS/WP8 will have it as well together with better ecosystem.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-01-15 05:12 PM
    Kinda agree. Kinda don't. Chen is still pushing the hardware side, at least publicly.

BlackBerry CEO: 'I intend to continue to build a hardware business' | CrackBerry.com
    Well,.. not exactly the first time the band director has been told to keep the music going on the Lido deck of a sinking ship...

: /

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    03-01-15 05:20 PM
    From my understanding to gain access to the B10 features and services you have to be a enterprise subscriber on one of the other platforms. So initially it wont be available to the public. Also there is still the point that most of the features and services come with a BB device without subscription.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    menshawy likes this.
    03-01-15 05:27 PM
    The BlackBerry Android OS.
    BBDroid.
    Berry Droid
    Black Droid.
    Android BB10
    Leap Droid.
    BB10 Droid PIM App.
    DroidHub by BlackBerry
    Hub for Droids

IHub
    BB10 IOS PIM App
    HubApple
    Hub for IOS
    MACHub

BlackBerry is a 5 dollar wh0re. They will do anything for cash.

BlackBerry hates America!
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    03-01-15 05:41 PM
    This decision to make BB10 features and related services accessible to all major platforms does put John Chen's comment on 'App Neutrality ' into perspective for me.

Here is the original blog post for context:
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/01/...et-neutrality/

Posted via CB10
    He's going to make every BBRY service available for every platform?
    mornhavon likes this.
    03-01-15 05:41 PM
    Is this why there are so many problems with 10.3? They've had to dumb it all down to work on iDroid?
    Q10Bold likes this.
    03-01-15 05:55 PM
    He's going to make every BBRY service available for every platform?
    yep, might as well close Crackberry shop as there will not be enough people left............LOL
    03-01-15 05:56 PM
    In my opinion this is a smart move for BlackBerry to make. As part of their partnership with Samsung they could release an S5 or Note 4 with the productivity suite in place of touch wiz and then concentrate BlackBerry's hardware division into producing Classics and Passports for the business market.

It would be the best of both worlds for many users longing for google play services on BB10 that hate using Android, and all the fanboys couldn't be accused of betrayal because BlackBerry would still be making money off of the software! Lol
    03-01-15 05:59 PM
    I hear ya Blaize but there is room for interpretation on how the hardware business will roll and within what agenda, don't you think so?

Posted via CB10
    I think the new Rio/Leap, if rumours of the specs are true, is aimed as a corporate fleet phone. I think BB will continue with hardware if they can sell in bulk to their corporate customers.

In that context I think it makes sense for them to continue producing hardware. With a hardware lineup they are a full service provider to enterprise as opposed to a software company that requires enterprise customers to buy hardware elsewhere.

This latest offering to me makes sense. It allows enterprise customers to be able to purchase only the devices they need (as apposed to having to replace all of their current devices), and cater to employees who still want to bring their own phone, while still adopting BlackBerry as an enterprise solution.
    03-01-15 06:05 PM
    This move makes great business sense but in the long run will kill the hardware side... at this point we have BB10 and a physical keyboard to differentiate BB from other Platforms... giving away the store with porting of major selling points of BB10 to business will be the death knell in the long run as BB has made it abundantly clear there is minimal or no interest in the consumer side which means once all the goodies are out to Enterprise... what is left????
    03-01-15 06:13 PM
    Well, I hope that Chen worked out an innovative deal with Samsung (though I am not keeping my hopes up). To me, what would have been great is if he worked a deal where Samsung will provide a special Samsung S6 Edge with full BB10 on it. The fact is, Blackberry can not compete on hardware due to the development cost, the scale needed, etc. So, what if he said - forget it - I will give the full touch BB10 market to a partner(s) who are willing to put BB10 on their cutting edge hardware (for a fee) and just keep the PKB market (or something that has a PKB on it). Samsung gets to have the market of customers who want BB10 all touch, and in return, they get this deal where they in the beginning will be a step ahead in Bes12 and Knox and Worklife.

These Samsung phones would be managed by BB since they would have hardware level compatibility, etc

One could hope?
    03-01-15 06:14 PM
    Well, I hope that Chen worked out an innovative deal with Samsung (though I am not keeping my hopes up). To me, what would have been great is if he worked a deal where Samsung will provide a special Samsung S6 Edge with full BB10 on it. The fact is, Blackberry can not compete on hardware due to the development cost, the scale needed, etc. So, what if he said - forget it - I will give the full touch BB10 market to a partner(s) who are willing to put BB10 on their cutting edge hardware (for a fee) and just keep the PKB market (or something that has a PKB on it). Samsung gets to have the market of customers who want BB10 all touch, and in return, they get this deal where they in the beginning will be a step ahead in Bes12 and Knox and Worklife.

These Samsung phones would be managed by BB since they would have hardware level compatibility, etc

One could hope?
    Why would Samsung use and pay a fee for BB10 when they get Android for free with a better ecosystem?

Later edit: I neevr unserstood this "they should just licence BB10 to others" thing. If anyone wants to use an OS they can just use Android or Windows Phone 8.1 for FREE.
    03-01-15 06:23 PM
    Its very simple why BlackBerry is doing this. They are not making money off of their hardware! Chen has mentioned time and time again that BlackBerry cannot make phones with new hardware for cheap prices like other companies. I specifically remember him saying that "the Chinese can make a 5" phone for $50. I can't even get the pieces together for $50". Its just the way it is, no sense in arguing about it. In order for there to be positive cash flow into the business and one that is steady they must license their achievements. Think about it. A one time fee to have the virtual BB10 keyboard while typing on an iPhone:

1) complete sentences are finally achieved with iPhone users as well as smart autocorrect
    2) one time fee may not seem like a lot but how many iphone users are there?? Ca-ching

As much as some people don't like this idea John Chen is making the right move and I applaud him for it
    03-01-15 06:39 PM
    Does this mean the end of BlackBerry phones? I'm so confused how they'd go on after doing this. There would be no reason to buy a BlackBerry anymore other thank physical keyboard.
    03-01-15 06:47 PM
    Its very simple why BlackBerry is doing this. They are not making money off of their hardware! Chen has mentioned time and time again that BlackBerry cannot make phones with new hardware for cheap prices like other companies. I specifically remember him saying that "the Chinese can make a 5" phone for $50. I can't even get the pieces together for $50". Its just the way it is, no sense in arguing about it. In order for there to be positive cash flow into the business and one that is steady they must license their achievements. Think about it. A one time fee to have the virtual BB10 keyboard while typing on an iPhone:

1) complete sentences are finally achieved with iPhone users as well as smart autocorrect
    2) one time fee may not seem like a lot but how many iphone users are there?? Ca-ching

As much as some people don't like this idea John Chen is making the right move and I applaud him for it
    As I own and use both a Z30 and iPhone 6 Plus, I would most certainly welcome the wonderful VKB of BlackBerry 10 on my iPhone to replace the crappy iOS keyboard. I look forward to flicking up whole words from the VKB's keys!!

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 06:49 PM
    Wow... They really are commited to killing off BlackBerry 10 and hardware.

What will BB10 fans have to brag about now? Pretty much every single thing that supposedly makes BB10 such a great OS will now be availabe on Android and iOS. Will BlackBerry 10 still be "the ultimate communication tool!" now that Android and iOS have the Hub? What about that much loved virtual keyboard?

Crazyness. If I owned a Passport or a Classic, I would be pretty upset right now and would be selling them as soon as possible.
    My sarcasm meter just went off the roof :-D

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 06:55 PM
    I'm honestly amazed at how many people are surprised at this.

From the first day Chen walked into the doors, he openly stated that the Software/Services side was where the company should focus for expansion and revenue. And that the Hardware side should be focused on Enterprise purposes and not on the consumer, and only then if it can remain profitable. How is this latest news even remotely surprising?

The move is great for BBRY as a company. The consumers who hoped beyond hope that somehow that despite what Chen's vision declared, it would somehow work out for them, should not be surprised. It all falls in line exactly with what Chen openly stated from day one when he first walked in the door.

A few years from now... the debates and arguments on this forum will not be over "What BB devices can't do or support", but will instead be debates over "What platforms don't support the BB security infrastructure".
    LazyEvul, Bsbudd, walt63 and 1 others like this.
    03-01-15 07:02 PM
    wrong move in my eyes. they'll never sell another blackberry but...
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry aggressively broadening its cross-platform strategy incl. BB Hub for iOS & Android!-bold-strategy-cotton.jpg  
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-01-15 07:10 PM
    An official bb slider attachment might just sell me on a cyanogen droid for my next phone if hub is usable on it and BlackBerry doesn't make a full out bb10 slider somewhat soon. BlackBerry made phone accessories are generally really high quality (and many of them, like the bluetooth headsets, are already crossplatform).

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 07:16 PM
    I'm guessing, but this could tie users to blend which could have further development integration. Such as iot development, which would require cross platform access to be successful. Chen has to choose the path of least resistance. He can't win development as it stands, what would you have him do? Sit back and talk the talk? He's moving towards something which isn't obviously apparent at the moment. They have always said hardware is a big part of their plan. Have some faith. So far so good.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 07:44 PM
    Good strategy. If it happens, we can experience same emails & Hub on other devices.

Prithvi Z30 10.3.1.2267 thru CB10
    03-01-15 07:46 PM
    I think this is a great move. They just expanded their potential software customers from half a percent of the market to almost 100%. What company wouldn't want to do that?

If this makes BlackBerry more of a household name again, even if just on the software side, it'll be great for the company as a whole and it'll trickle down to hardware. Just like the popularity of Gmail, Google maps etc. has helped to sell Android phones.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 07:49 PM
    Does this mean the end of BlackBerry phones? I'm so confused how they'd go on after doing this. There would be no reason to buy a BlackBerry anymore other thank physical keyboard.
    99.6% of the market already doesn't think there's a reason to buy a BlackBerry anymore. Why is it confusing that they want to expand their software scope beyond the 0.4% ?

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 07:51 PM
    With this.... the only reason to even get a BB device is security.

No more "oh but we have the hub and can be productive with that", Android/iOS/WP8 will have it as well together with better ecosystem.
    keyboard maybe
    neoberry99 likes this.
    03-01-15 08:07 PM
    Yes sir.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    03-01-15 08:19 PM
152 12345 ...