03-04-15 03:37 PM
152 1234 ...
tools
    I'll wait to Tuesday before passing judgment. I hope to see some mention of a high end all touch device for later in the year. If nothing materializes then I can see hanging on to the Passport for a couple years. No rush on my part right now. Passport is working well for me.

Passport on AT&T
    currentodysseys and dylship like this.
    03-01-15 02:44 PM
    back in 2013 I had raised the question of BlackBerry making its OS available to other manufacturers (like loading it on a Samsung: http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...enario-839087/) . Not the exact thing happening now but pretty much in this essence, I have to admit that this is a quite interesting development for a series of reasons:

1. keep the essence of bb10 and get all the pros of it combined with an OS of a platform with a much richer "ecosystem" both is apps as well as in accessories etc.
    2. BlackBerry gets to make money and continue to develop (if they play this right and manage to consolidate a position, and depending of the segment/ target audience they direct it to)
    3. Maybe, this could potentially lead to some more BlackBerry switching users (although this is imho a not very plausible scenario). This would depend of how the rest of the aspects regarding hardware and software would evolve: BlackBerry would have to be able to work on an OS ecosystem (eg android) much more fluently than now and of course to have sufficient clientele in the hardware section in order to keep it going.

On the above, what I consider crucial is:
    a) Who this will be directed to: will it only be BES enabled or would it also be available to the end consumer apart from the BES based corporate customers
    b) Channels and structures of sale: will distribution be via BlackBerry only for designated client pools (BES corporate etc as per point a) or via app world, google play etc. How will this be costed and sold: one time fee, licenced or modular/ package sales is crucial in order to understand who they are aiming and what is the long term strategy....
    c) will it be the same experience when owning a BlackBerry phone or will the differences create some pull towards BlackBerry phones in order to have the full experience? An initial estimate from my part is that the experience of software will be the same finally, because shifting to a BlackBerry phone will mean change of ecosystem and thus a difficult conversion with many obstacles, unless:
    d) blackberry phones become more "open" in their relationship with android. Then it would spearhead an apple /bb-android competition with the windows phone evolution in the game as well (which I believe is going to gain importance due to windows PC domination and windows10 ).

Or maybe, we will also see licenced BlackBerry hardware accessories for other phones, like BlackBerry keyboards for iphone and androids... remember the big legal story with the typo.. I think that this is also a possibility, if you cannot sell the phone, licence, produce and sell accessories with the hardware features that give added value.

It is like taking up a company and selling off the pieces after a buy out, but rather you sell the advantage added value features of software and maybe hardware as your main product and you make money... it seems a good plan business wise.

In any case, this is major news and I really am looking forward to see how the structure of the sales strategy and distribution is thought of, which i think will make obvious the mid-long term intentions or give us at least clearer signs and hints.

Finally, I think hardware (as in a whole phone) from BlackBerry will eclipse little by little and remain as a very target specific commodity, for corporate users...??

Let us see how they really play this out and the traction it will get. Mr Chen and Co sure do have a pair of corporate and business berries! Bold move!

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-01-15 03:07 PM
    This is great...why all the short sighted doom and gloom??? BlackBerry will receive a royalty on every device that uses their software. That equals money...which ensures their survival, which enables more BlackBerry's for us who use them.

Does anyone think an Android isn't going to get sluggish just because it has a BlackBerry keyboard or hub?

Does anyone think an iPhone can't leak your stuff through the cloud or not pay through the nose for their device??

This is great stuff IMO.

Classically Posted.
    03-01-15 03:12 PM
    How many more clues can BlackBerry give pointing to the end of their hardware efforts?
    Kinda agree. Kinda don't. Chen is still pushing the hardware side, at least publicly.

"This is just a very natural evolution of taking our OS, the surfaces and security layers around it and putting it on others' devices, so that our serviceable market is not only 'BlackBerry' devices, but all devices," "I intend to continue to build a hardware business" he said. "But there will be a lot of focus on the software business too."
    BlackBerry CEO: 'I intend to continue to build a hardware business' | CrackBerry.com
    03-01-15 03:16 PM
    I said to my self that I will stay with BlackBerry when I upgrade later this year but I think going to android will be a better choice for me now

Posted via CB10
    Let's wait and see, we do not know how this will play out and how it will be sold etc. I think it will need some time. I would hold my horses though, had I not gotten a passport a month back (which I really really like I have to admit and I do not see me changing for the next couple of years unless a really mindblowing device comes along or some major changes come in light of the BlackBerry software licencing)

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 03:17 PM
    Kinda agree. Kinda don't. Chen is still pushing the hardware side, at least publicly.

BlackBerry CEO: 'I intend to continue to build a hardware business' | CrackBerry.com
    I hear ya Blaize but there is room for interpretation on how the hardware business will roll and within what agenda, don't you think so?

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 03:19 PM
    This just reminds me when people wined about bbm going cross platform......... if BlackBerry makes money off this, I think it's a great idea.

Beproud
    03-01-15 03:21 PM
    If Chen doesn't announce a high end all touch on Tuesday then it really is game over for HW. As others have said he is just using up all the spare parts leftover from the Z10 and Q10 debacle.

On the bright side I can now buy any phone OS I want and get the hub, etc.

It is a shame though as he has done nothing to help HW and has basically done everything he can to kill it. Bravo John. Job well done.
    03-01-15 03:22 PM
    Chen is still pushing the hardware side, at least publicly.
    It would be foolish to announce the exit before it actually happens. He probably still has a lot of Snapdragon S4s he wants to sell..
    03-01-15 03:27 PM
    If Chen doesn't announce a high end all touch on Tuesday then it really is game over for HW. As others have said he is just using up all the spare parts leftover from the Z10 and Q10 debacle.

On the bright side I can now buy any phone OS I want and get the hub, etc.

It is a shame though as he has done nothing to help HW and has basically done everything he can to kill it. Bravo John. Job well done.
    problem is we do not know who, how, and for how much will be able to have hub etc on their non BlackBerry device and how fluidly those will work on those other devices... I will wait to know all that before I cheer "it's alive!"

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 03:29 PM
    This just reminds me when people wined about bbm going cross platform......... if BlackBerry makes money off this, I think it's a great idea.

Beproud
    Well, all I can say is BB has to do something. They don't seem interested/can't afford to make $25 phones like Window's Phone, they have a great product but can't sell enough devices and can't get the app ecosystem without about about 20 million more users. It sounds like others would like to see BB put all of its eggs into the hardware basket until the very end and then fall back to software. I see the last option listed as the least viable plan.
    03-01-15 03:33 PM
    problem is we do not know who, how, and for how much will be able to have hub etc on their non BlackBerry device and how fluidly those will work on those other devices... I will wait to know all that before I cheer "it's alive!"

Posted via CB10
    Maybe a launcher lol. That worked great for facebook lol.
    currentodysseys and MikeX74 like this.
    03-01-15 03:34 PM
    Next up, blackberry version of Typo, but with quality and legal. Seacrest will sue and be dismissed.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 03:41 PM
    Next up, blackberry version of Typo, but with quality and legal. Seacrest will sue and be dismissed.

Posted via CB10
    It would not surprise me at all if they released a BT add on PKB for the iPhone, Galaxy and Note devices. Makes total sense based on where they are apparently headed.
    03-01-15 03:44 PM
    My crystal ball says BlackBerry will continue to make high-security devices for the industries that need them. Maybe they'll leave out the Android runtime for these devices, so they don't need high end specs.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-01-15 03:45 PM
    Elements of the BlackBerry Classic will find their way to the iPhone and Android>>>>according to Cnet
    03-01-15 03:51 PM
    Calendar and Contacts on BlackBerry have lots of room for improvement. I don't see those as anything to brag about.

I'll have to wait and see how BlackBerry has the other platforms paying for this. I expect it will be subscription based as to expire and have some of them wanting the real thing. That could convert to BlackBerry handsets.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    03-01-15 04:02 PM
    This decision to make BB10 features and related services accessible to all major platforms does put John Chen's comment on 'App Neutrality ' into perspective for me.

Here is the original blog post for context:
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/01/...et-neutrality/

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 04:08 PM
    This decision to make BB10 features and related services accessible to all major platforms does put John Chen's comment on 'App Neutrality ' into perspective for me.

Here is the original blog post for context:
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/01/...et-neutrality/
    And hints at his long term strategy - both for revenue and the company.

Exciting times ahead!

 Q5 / Z30
    ccbs likes this.
    03-01-15 04:17 PM
    And hints at his long term strategy - both for revenue and the company.

Exciting times ahead!

 Q5 / Z30
    Exciting for the company or for us?

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 04:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    That would be for the company....
    03-01-15 04:23 PM
    They waited too long in going BBM cross platform. I wonder if this strategy will work either. Regardless, they have not sold many devices on the basis of the BB10 OS alone. Maybe bring some new users to the BB10 platform. BlackBerry is still the King of their PKB domain. I expect a higher end all touch or the Victoria in the late summer or by the fall. The Leap coming at MWC.
    03-01-15 04:27 PM
    While I'd love to have the BlackBerry 10 Hub and VKB on my iPhone 6 Plus, this announcement pretty much suggests there will not be a suitable curting-edge hardware successor to my beloved Z30. Kinda sad of BlackBerry when you think about it.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 04:38 PM
    For both actually ;-)

For us the chances of having a continuous flow of new devices are higher if BlackBerry becomes and stays profitable.

And the chances of BlackBerry becoming and staying profitable are higher if enough of its Enterprise customers find value in paying for the various software suites.

And all of above certainly won't happen if JC had stayed with the status quo.

 Q5 / Z30
    03-01-15 04:57 PM
    Maybe a launcher lol. That worked great for facebook lol.
    I do wonder how much Blackberry would be able to license its technology for.

I know that everybody on Crackberry loves the Blackberry UI but it genuinely is like many other launchers and neither businesses nor consumers will be willing to pay big bucks for features such as Hub, Calendar, and Contacts if we go by history or whatever else is currently available in the Appstore/Google Play. The notification center already exists.

Most likely the features will be tacked on to an existing service bundle if Blackberry intends to commercialize it or it will be a small fee (<$10). More likely it will be free with in app purchases of some sort.

Regardless, consumers who want the apps for free will likely be able to attain them from illicit means so there actually isn't much reason to "wait and see" for many Blackberry users ready to jump ship.
    03-01-15 05:12 PM
152 1234 ...